main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canada Canada's relationship with Britain

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Admiral_Thrawn60, Sep 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lady_Lucas

Lady_Lucas Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2002
    :D It means I want to breath fire on Admiral and watch him cook. ;)
    Just kidding.

Actually, technically the queen has a little power. In the sense that, the queen appoints the governor general as her representative. Until 1952 the governer had come from the United Kingdom. The governor general originally had far-reaching powers. But these powers gradually dwindled. I think today the governor general follows the direction and advice of the Cabinet. Is that true?

2. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    It was said earlier in the thread that Her Excellency is actually appointed by the Prime Minister. Not Her Majesty. She does not follow the direction and advice of the Senate. She basically waits for a bill to arrive on her desk to sign. Once she does that, it is passed into law. That's basically it. She also does other minor things, but that's her main duty.

3. Lady_Lucas

Mar 28, 2002
    What if she doesn't want to sign it though, what happens?

4. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    As was said earlier in this thread, she would be replaced by someone who was willing to sign.

5. Lady_Lucas

Mar 28, 2002
    Who would authorize her being replaced? Who would replace her?

6. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    As I said, the Prime Minister would authorize her being replaced. She would be replaced by a Canadian in good standing with the people of this nation. Someone who has done good things for our society. That's pretty much the criteria. The current Governor General, Her Excellency the Honourable Adrienne Clarkson, meets that criteria.

7. Lady_Lucas

Mar 28, 2002
    So when YOU think of the Queen of England do you think..."ah there's my queen."

8. Rani Veko

Rani Veko Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    I certainly do. I am and always have been a monarchist. I love that Canada is a respected part of the Commonwealth, too. When you get to know people from other Commonwealth countries, it really feels like a exclusive and friendly "club". :) I felt that first-hand when Victoria hosted the Commonwealth Games a few years back. I got to be a part of the opening and closing ceremonies, and really felt like a part of it all.

Queen Elizabeth II, Queen of Canada...(at least all the parts of Canada we haven't been waiting around for for 20 years to sign our new Constitution...)

- Rani

edit: spelling

9. Lady_Lucas

Mar 28, 2002
    That's great Rani that you got to be a part of all that. It sounds exciting! :) Why did you get to be a part of the ceremony?

Quebec hasn't signed the new constitution? Is that what you meant? I can understand though. If I was French Canadian(aka having French ancestry) I wouldn't pledge my loyalty to any monarchy let alone the UK.

10. Rani Veko

Rani Veko Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    I was one of hundreds of performers in the opening and closing ceremonies, specifically the Commonwealth Games Choir. We had about 800 or so singers, dressed completely in white from head to toe.

For the Opening Ceremonies, we sang "O Canada", with a mix of the French and English lyrics. After learning them both, I really preferred the French lyrics (our National Anthem was originally a French poem, so it scans and rhymes better in the French, and the words are more beautiful, meaningful, and less "politically correct" than the English version. We also sang "Let Your Spirit Take Flight", the theme for those particular Games, and "God Save the Queen".

For the Closing Ceremonies, we formed a giant Thunderbird on the field, which we quickly morphed into a white Dove of Peace, which suddenly "took flight" when a rainbow stretched out underneath its wings by people with coloured fabric trailing it behind them and running across the field at full tilt. (I was one of these "rainbow makers".) :) Then as we stood on the field, we sang "Let the Spirit Live On Forever", the closing theme for the Games, and performed it in sign language at the same time. It was around that time that all the athletes prematurely rushed onto the field, and it collapsed into one giant party. :)

As for Quebec not signing the Constitution, it has nothing to do with pledging loyalty to any monarchy. Many Canadians go their whole lives without pledging anything to our monarchy or country. (Unlike many countries, we don't generally require our schoolchildren to pledge allegience to a flag or leader. That's typically reserved for joining the Armed Forces, taking Government Office, or becoming a citizen. The only thing comes close to such forced patriotism is schools teaching and singing the National Anthem for the occassional assembly or game.)

In 1982 Trudeau brought about what he hoped would be the crowning achievement to his long political career: a Constitution that Canada could call its own. Before that, we were still operating under the British North America Act, which of course had been drawn up and signed before Canada was its own independant nation. So in 1982 Quebec alone refused to sign, finding the document lacking. Every one of the other provinces signed, however, and the Queen put her name to this new Canadian-written Constitution.

A few years later, a different Prime Minister invited Quebec leaders to a cabin on Meech Lake to establish all the conditions Quebec wanted added to the Constitution to make it satisfactory to them. (Few really remember what these conditions were anymore, not even Quebeccers themselves.)

The other provinces were handed the Meech Lake Accord, and they refused to sign a document that would grant all these special privaledges and rights that were not being offered to any other province. One MP from Saskatchewn, a First Nations man himself, pointed out that if Canada was going to be giving out special cultural considerations and rights, First Nations People should be considered long before Quebeccers: after all, they were here first!

Thus came a new wave of separation movements and phrases like "Distinct Society Status" and "Sovereignty Association" and National Referendums and so on and so on.

It's been 20 years, and Quebec seems resigned to stay, but they won't formalize by signing the Constitution. Quebec, to me, is rather like the wife who threatens to leave her husband, then decides it's too much bother to make it on her own and just sleeps in a separate bedroom for the rest of their marriage.

- Rani

11. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    So when YOU think of the Queen of England do you think..."ah there's my queen."

I am loyal to Her Majesty, the Queen. I too am a monarchist.

12. Sar-Tamber-lac

Sar-Tamber-lac Jedi Master star 5

May 24, 2002
    *wonders if Quebec did separte, if the US would buy up the Maritimes...* Hehehe...

Everyone in the Maritimes could be an American!!!

;) *hits IZird's nerves*

PS I'm only jokin, so please don't come down on me!! *ducks under table*

13. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    "Yesterday, September 29, 2002, a date which will live in infamy, the home of Tamber Craig's family was suddenly and deliberately attacked by land and air forces of militant Canadian nationalists. It is obvious that planning the attack began when Tamber began talking about American aquisition of the Maritimes provinces. During the intervening time, the Canadians on TFN have deliberately sought to deceive Tamber by false statements, and expressions of hope for continued peace. The attack yesterday on Tamber's house has caused severe damage to her family. I regret to tell you that the lives of her parents have been lost. No matter how long it may take us to overcome this premeditated terrorist act, the Craig family, in their rightous might, will win through to absolute victory! Because of this unprovoked, dastardly attack by militart Canadians, I ask that Tamber declare a state of war."
    :p

14. Lady_Lucas

Mar 28, 2002
    I formly invite all of you in the Maritimes to the USA!!!!! ;)

Rani, what an awesome experience! That sounds really "magnifique" as we say in french! I love those kind of events! Thank you for sharing your knowledge. You know alot and that was helpful! :)
    Unlike many countries, we don't generally require our schoolchildren to pledge allegience to a flag or leader. Too bad! Since Canada is such a great country the children should show their loyalty! :)

15. Sar-Tamber-lac

Sar-Tamber-lac Jedi Master star 5

May 24, 2002
    *scratches head*

But yesterday was September 23rd...oh, well...

I just want to know where you attacked...if you only hit one place, you only got one member of my family...I have four people in my immediate family, and they live in four different places....so :p

16. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    Well, LL, another difference between Canadians and people from other countries is the fact that we have patriotism and loyalty, but we don't often express it. We know the greatness of our country, and we don't feel the need to prove it by waving a flag around. Some do. Where I come from, it is important to show your patriotism, and that is perhaps why I'm more vocal about it than some. On average, though, we're less outwardly patriotic than the United States. Inside, however, we're just as patriotic. And, we do declare our loyalty. I declared in the oath of citizenship "I declare true allegiance to her Majesty Queen Elisabeth II, Queen of Canada, her heirs and successors..." Something like that, anyway. However, I believe that since I became a citizen, I have only repeated the oath on one occasion, if I even said it at all when I became one (I forget) so yeah... maybe we do need to do it more often.

17. Lady_Lucas

Mar 28, 2002
    Yes, I think you could do it more often(say the pledges). And yes you have some VERY patriotic people in Canada! Like you!!! Also at my University, there is a French Canadian friend of mine and he has a REAL tattoo on his ankle and it is the Canadian Flag!! Another student(from Ontario) walks around with the Candaian flag on her backpack! So you have your patriots and I think thats great! :)

18. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    It is extremely popular here to have a Canadian flag on your backpack. I have one on mine. They're especially popular when you're going overseas, so you don't get mistaken as an American and shot at. Not joking.

19. Lady_Lucas

Mar 28, 2002
    Well I've had American memorabilia in Europe before and no one shot at me! ;)
    France is pretty civilized. :)

On the back pack is one thing but,
    would you go as far as to put a tattoo on your ankle of your Canadian flag?

20. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    France is one thing. Eastern Europe, Asia, the Middle East... those are another.

No, but only because I don't like tattoos.

21. KitFist0

KitFist0 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2001
    I've been to Asia, they love the american doller ;) It's the easiest currency to travel with beccause it's accepted everywhere :)

22. Lady_Lucas

Mar 28, 2002
    You are right Admiral thoses other countries I would be VERY careful!

Yes the American dollar is very good! It seems I can get more stuff when I go to Canada with the exchange rate!

23. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    Of course you can. For every $1.5730 Canadain, you only have to spend $1 American.

That's actually why it's low. The government has deliberately caused it to dip low (60 cents is ideal) to promote tourism, and increase exports.

When the dollar is low, the economy wins. Canadians travelling abroad lose.

24. Lady_Lucas

Mar 28, 2002
    I like it when you talk like that! Economics 101, very interesting to study. I actually like it! :)

YOu have some nice Cigars for sale in Canada that you can't get here!

25. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    Yes, we don't still live in the Cold War mentality of "capitalism good, communism evil." So, much to the dismay of the American government, we do not have a trade embargo against Cuba. So, Cuban cigars are perfectly legal here... rather expensive, however.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.