main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canada Canadian Theological Debate Thread

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Ian_Ball, Nov 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. im_posessed

im_posessed Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 13, 2002
    i agree with that...a lot of people try and fix the workd when they're messed up
    Jesus used the parable about trying to pick a speck of sawdust out of your friend's eye when there is a plank in your own
    but does a person have the ability, on thheir own, to fix themself?

2. Ian_Ball

Ian_Ball Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    but does a person have the ability, on thheir own, to fix themself?

An individual is the only one who can bring about such change in themselves.

3. im_posessed

Nov 13, 2002
    i've had a different experience
    take people trying to quit smoking for example...those who try to do it on their own have a very hard time, and usually end up picking up another bad habit in it's place
    it is the person who has to decide to change, but as a basic rule of the universe, things on their own get worse and worse, not better and better....

4. Ian_Ball

Sep 21, 2001
    Good example.

I smoke, and do lots of other such things looked down upon. In satanism, drinking etc is encouraged if YOU believe that these things make you feel good.

People who try to quit smoking and fail because the don't want to...or their subconcious needs that crutch. Why deprive when you don't need to?

Being by yourself is never a happy feeling...trust me I know..lol...the point I was trying to make was that inner problems need to be solved by yourself, not by others, as others never know the REAL you...only you do.

5. im_posessed

Nov 13, 2002
    i agree with you to a point...actually, i agreed with a lot of the 9 satanic sins too...especially the focus on not going with the crowd or just accapting what has been spoon fed to you
    i had to fight for what i beleive, test it, explain it, proove it...i didn't just believe anything that was handed to me, and feel those who do are missing a lot in whatever it is they believe...it means more if you examine it
    i know a lot of people see christianity...any religion for that matter, as a bunch of rules/regulations/rigutals that really don't mean anything, but if that's all it is, well, it isn't faith, it isn't real...just like someone can go through the same routene at their job every day and have it mean nothing

6. Ian_Ball

Sep 21, 2001
    i agree with you to a point...actually, i agreed with a lot of the 9 satanic sins too...especially the focus on not going with the crowd or just accapting what has been spoon fed to you

glad to hear it.

i had to fight for what i beleive, test it, explain it, proove it...i didn't just believe anything that was handed to me, and feel those who do are missing a lot in whatever it is they believe...it means more if you examine it

it does mean more if you examine it. I agree, but anything can mean something to anyone.

i know a lot of people see christianity...any religion for that matter, as a bunch of rules/regulations/rigutals that really don't mean anything, but if that's all it is, well, it isn't faith, it isn't real...just like someone can go through the same routene at their job every day and have it mean nothing

I don't see christianity as rules etc...rules are important to maintain civility in the world, but then again there are certain rules which are barbaric by today's standards.
    I see christianity as a business of fear. just like the 6 o'clock news. watch the film "bowling for columbine" to get an understanding where I'm coming from...

Things have become twisted and distorted in my eyes. I find it very hard to believe there are so few around that see what is actually happening in the world...just because CNN or Pat Robertson says something, dosen't make it so...everything is opinion now..no fact to be found...anywhere.

EDIT: we've been so afraid to lose our individuality that we have destroyed it without knowing it.

7. im_posessed

Nov 13, 2002
    once again i agree...fear and misunderstanding abound in our society. (which is why i make a point not to watch cnn)
    while i admit that many have used fear tactics to get people to convert to Christianity, the results of such tactics aren't very good. people who see God as this judge that will smite them for the least bit of wrong ultimately end up resenting Him. it is true that God hates evil, and there are consiquences fro going against Him, but God is love. He is salvation and help and hope and life and all those wonderful things that people search for.

8. Ian_Ball

Sep 21, 2001
    once again i agree...fear and misunderstanding abound in our society. (which is why i make a point not to watch cnn)

Fear is a selling point. school shooting - buy the pepsi, bombs dropped over seas - buy the accura.

while i admit that many have used fear tactics to get people to convert to Christianity, the results of such tactics aren't very good. people who see God as this judge that will smite them for the least bit of wrong ultimately end up resenting Him.

People don't want to be punished for being themselves. Some people believe in god and resent him. Some resent the concept of god..usually for the same reason.

it is true that God hates evil, and there are consiquences fro going against Him, but God is love. He is salvation and help and hope and life and all those wonderful things that people search for.

I don't like evil either. My view of evil is diffrent from that of the concept of god. I have homosexual friends, whom are some of the most beautiful people i've met. They are allowed to love who they want without fear of god.

I see god as a state of mind...not an actuall "being". people who believe in this concept are ok by me, they are allowed to believe in what ever they want, just as i am. To say "god is love" is vauge and misleading. look at a third world country and tell me that god loves his children.

9. im_posessed

Nov 13, 2002
    you said to look at a third world country...why not lok at our own. there are millions of hurting people all over the world. that does not mean God does not love. the reason there are starving people all around the world isn't because of God, it is because of people. people who are selfish and want the wealth and power for themselves, people who don't care that what they do affects those around them.
    when i say "God is Love" i mean that God is the source of all love. yes, people love without any relationship, even concepts of God, but that is because God loves them. God is patient and kind and does everything we allow to show is who He is and how much He loves us.

i know people who are homosexual too. i love them, they are bright and creative and caring. i believe they are missing out on something wonderful in life, much the same as anyone who goes against God. i know the big stigma the "church" portrays is that homosexuals are evil, but that is not the case, that is not what God beleives....anything that goes against God is placed on the same level...there is nothing worse about being a homosexual than there is about being a habitual liar.
    it is a sad state of the "church" but then again, when Jesus was here, it was the outcasts, the "sinners" that flocked to Him, and the religious people who rejected Him.

10. Ian_Ball

Sep 21, 2001
    it is a sad state of the "church" but then again, when Jesus was here, it was the outcasts, the "sinners" that flocked to Him, and the religious people who rejected Him.

it seems the trend is continuing. So, I'll be burning with the members of the 700 club then..lol

11. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Why do you have so much grief at the 700 Club?

I mean I don't watch it either...but the hostility?

12. Ian_Ball

Sep 21, 2001
    lol...i suppose it needs some explanation.

I used to watch this show everyday, to see an alternate view on world events. The way Pat Robertson would DEFEND PEOPLE WHO ARE MURDERING HOMOSEXUALS sickend me.

He also decided to "pick apart" a marilyn manson song. What Pat would have known if he actually read into the song instead of making up his own meaning, is that the song WAS ABOUT PAT ROBERTSON himself...lol...that was actually really funny.

He denounced tv programmers by name for the "foul content" on tv...a year later HE SOLD THE FAMILY CHANNEL TO ONE OF THEM

And if that dosen't take the cake..we get to hear how evil money is...10min later, guess what kiddies? can I have your credit card number?

13. im_posessed

Nov 13, 2002
    * amits ignorance*
    i had no idea what the 700 club is....

14. Stina-Cri

Stina-Cri Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    Ewww I hate the 700 club!!!!!! Ionly ever saw parts of it but Uh...yeah.

15. Ian_Ball

Sep 21, 2001
    "the christian television network" indeed.

I reccomend ppl watch this show. To get an idea why christianity is view the way it is...and hopefully speak out against it.

16. im_posessed

Nov 13, 2002
    i hate that there are so many people who speak and do things that contradict the bible. the best was to find out how a Christian should be is to read the Gosples (Matthew, Mark, Luke, John) and take a look at who Jesus is. Christians are supposed to immitate Christ, but people are involved, so there is, unfortunately, a lot of attitudes and oppinions and interpretations that at times end up being more important.
    that's the discouraging part of Christianity, and unfortunately that sort of thing is what most people base their view of Christianity on, especially in North America.

17. Ian_Ball

Sep 21, 2001
    immitate christ?...what if i'm happy being me?

18. im_posessed

Nov 13, 2002
    well, first you'd have to realize what the characteristics of Christ were...
    compassion, fun, spontinaety (and yes i know i can't spell ;)) passion, love, kindness, not to mention he was an excellent conversationalist
    you'll always be yourself, it's not a matter of cloning, that would be legalism...it's a matter of seeking the high things in life, the eternal things, expecially God, who actually made you and put together your personality...

19. Izird

Izird Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
    There are a lot of people who disgrace the name of Christ, even though their intentions may be good. This "700 Club" sounds like a prime example.

Yes, the imitation of Christ is a noble pursuit. Everyone is influenced by someone, so what is wrong with modeling yourself after such a great man as Jesus? Most people concede that he was a great man and a great teacher, but many have a problem with his claims to deity - an intricate part of who he was and what he taught.

20. Stina-Cri

Stina-Cri Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    in my belief Jesus was a good example for humans to follow but i don't believe that he was god.

21. imperial_taz

imperial_taz Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 23, 2002
    if Jesus wasn't God,then how could he perform the miracles he did? turning water to wine, giving a blind man his sight and even rising from the dead. I mean if he wasn't God, he ws either a liar (which would negate his being a good inflence) or a lunatic (who would want to follow one of those) or he was who he said he was (yes hw called himself God a number of times in the Bible).

22. im_posessed

Nov 13, 2002
    Well, as mentioned, if Jesus isn't God, then He was a lunatic. He may not have said "I am God" but he said he had the power to forgive sins (something only God can do) he healed blind people (something prophesied that the Messiah would do) and many other things that distinguish Him as God
    the gosples really are an interesting read, especially with a sceptic eye

23. Izird

Izird Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
    Considering the way that Jesus spoke - either everything he said is true, or none of it is.

Therefore, either Jesus really is the Saviour of the world and God indeed, or the people of Christianity and other religions who at least acknowledge Jesus are completely wasting their time.

If Jesus isn't God, then he sure made a huge impact on the world for a lunatic.

24. Ian_Ball

Sep 21, 2001
    a new thought for you all who post in here...

Are "true christians" opposed to the war on terrorism? What are your views on war from a religious standpoint?

Personally I'm a beatle through and through..lol...all you need is love and all that.

thought this might spark up some interesting conversation here.

25. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    As a human being I am against war period. As a Christian i am opposed to it as well.

Senseless death for any side, to me, is just so sad.

War nowadays isn't even a state of mind like it was eons ago. Its so impersonal. What does teh word Iraq bring to you? Do you know the people? Does your mind readily admit that they affect you? That they have lives, hopes, dreams, families? Not with me anyway. Its so far away, and their death will be just as distant.

I dislike war, I think we don't need it. It, to me, is a war on Ego, not on terrorism. They hurt America, so America wants to hurt them back.

Thats my viewpoint...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.