main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canada Canadian Theological Debate Thread

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Ian_Ball, Nov 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stina-Cri

Stina-Cri Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    it depends on how you see the bible too. it can be taken more litterally or metaphorically.

2. im_posessed

im_posessed Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 13, 2002
    There are both literal and metophorical writings in the Bible. Things need to be kept in context of the original writer and audience, plus in the contex of the rest of the Bible. For example, the prophecy sections would have double meaning: the immediate meaning for the original audience, and the metephorical meaning for all of God's people. The historical sections are history, accurate tellings (from the point of view of those doing the telling) about what happened. There are many different literary styles in the Bible, and that needs to be taken into account when studying any perticular passage

3. imperial_taz

imperial_taz Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 23, 2002
    Hey y'all
    If i can add my 2 cents :D

I totally agree with im_possesed. The Bible was written in different literary styles (poetry, law, propherts, letters and stories...the list goes on) with different audiences and different cultures in mind, and to fully understand it, you need to have and keep (if even a minimal) knowledge of those cultures in mind. Im not saying that it's not relevant for today, but to understand what the author's intent orginally was. As to the Authority of the Bible,It's an all or none thing. I think it's 1 Peter that says "ALL scripture is given by inpiration of God and is profitable for rebke, encouragement, knowledge..." and there are a couple more things in that list, but I can't remeber them...sorry about that. A book like that can't be only paertially inspired.

and might i respectfully suggest jymm_roquand that waiting passivily for enlightenment will get you no where, If you want the truth you have to search for it intead of waiting for it to fall into your lap? Like studying for a untiversity exam...the knowledge doesn't come through osmosis....you need to seek it :D

Jo:)

4. Ian_Ball

Ian_Ball Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    Wow...I'm surprised this thread is still here since it's start in 2001...lol

imperial_taz, I agree with your view on "waiting for things to fall into your lap", but it has been known to happen depending on what you view as "enlightenment".

5. Sar-Tamber-lac

Sar-Tamber-lac Jedi Master star 5

May 24, 2002
    I know...I'm surprised it's still going as well. This was the original reason I signed up for the boards!!

I think it's 1 Peter that says "ALL scripture is given by inpiration of God and is profitable for rebke, encouragement, knowledge..." and there are a couple more things in that list, but I can't remeber them...sorry about that. A book like that can't be only paertially inspired.

2 Timothy 3:16 "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training in rightousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work." :)

Never buy the beliefs of one person based on what they say. Check it out for yourself. Faith that's based on your own personal research and experience is typically stronger and more valuable than one that's bought only by what someone says.

And someone may look at that and go, wait a minute. You say that, yet you're following a belief that's based on what some fishermen said two thousand years ago. And if you just look at it that way, you're right. However, that's where the personal experience comes in. I don't just believe it, I've experienced it firsthand, the grace and providence of God.

So check it out...don't just dismiss and move on...something this important is worth a little time and effort.

I know no one asked for my opinion...I just like to talk :)

6. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Welcome back online Ian!

7. Ian_Ball

Ian_Ball Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    Sar-Tamber-Lac, I coulden't have said it better myself...dismissal without knowledge is a common "mistake" made by many people.

Woofer - Thanks ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.