Canadian Theological Debate Thread

Discussion in 'Canada General' started by Ian_Ball, Nov 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Entil`Zha Jedi Master

star 4
    So... long time no one discussed here.... uhm... let's see.. what could we say now.. anyone wants to speculate on the *real* year of birth of Jesus? Since we're near Xmas.... some say that the actual calendar is around 6 or 7 years off.. that's not really religious though... but hey, unless someone comes in with a better subject........
  2. Ian_Ball Jedi Master

star 4
    I don`t really think the year matters as long as HIS message is right, not the church`s message.
  3. Izird Jedi Master

star 4
    Good call Ian! It wouldn't surprise me at all if the year was off. They didn't have our modern calendars until quite some time after Jesus' birth.

Sorry that I haven't been on in a while. I was at my parents' house for Christmas, and they're still in the stone age as far as computers go. They did switch over to DVD though, so I have to give them that much.
  4. Ian_Ball Jedi Master

star 4
    No problem. I`m only gonna be here for a little while longer, then I`ve got more military interviews.
  5. Izird Jedi Master

star 4
    So...a military guy, eh? That's cool. I just finished my seminar, so I'll be able to check these boards more often now.
  6. drum Jedi Padawan

If god can't stand to have sin in his presence, why didnt he just destroy it, or stop Adam before he sinned? Is he not all powerful and all knowing? Does sin have some power over the all powerful creator? How then is he to destroy sin at the end of the age? Why not destroy it right away? Does he enjoy watching his creation suffer in a sinful world?
  7. YoungJediNiagara RSA Emeritus FF Canada

star 4
    ummm...ya...right..."clean up on page two"...we got a stray in here...
  8. Izird Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm not sure what you mean by that post Chris...

Drum, sin has no power over God. He could annihilate us if he wanted to. However, God is all about love, and wants us to love him out of our own free will. If God forces us to be perfect and love him, then it's not real love is it? He was willing to go through all of the pain just to have fellowship with mankind. He even died (as a man) for that love.
  9. drum Jedi Padawan

So he wants real love on earth but doesnt mind forced love in heaven? Heaven doesnt have sin, so theres no free will to choose between good and bad, so we're robots in heaven instead of robots on earth. whats the difference?
  10. Izird Jedi Master

star 4
    If God forced everyone to love him in Heaven, then how did 1/3 of the angels rebel against him and fall? Why does the Devil exist? He is a creation of God as well (who rebelled). God has no equal. The reason Heaven is sinless is that anything with a trace of sin is banished.

Will there be further rebellion in Heaven? I don't think so, because the angels who are still loyal have been loyal since the beginning, so they're staying. The people who will be in Heaven have already seen (or will see) the crap that sin produces, and they have chosen (or will choose) to abandon that crap and follow Jesus.
  11. TragicLad Jedi Master

star 4
    >then how did 1/3 of the angels rebel against him and fall?

Sorry, could you provide a source for this? I've done a quick breezing through KJV and can find no reference to this event.
  12. Izird Jedi Master

star 4
    Sorry Tragic, I looked as well, and I'm not sure what kind of reference it is. If I ever come across it, I will post it. I found quite a few references to angels that fell from Heaven, and to Satan's army of angels who followed him, but I don't know where I got the 1/3 from. I know I learned that when doing a study on demons, but I'm not sure of the reference. There is a lot about angels rebelling against God, but I'll post again if I find the one that gives that specific number.
  13. Izird Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey, I know no one posted today, but I found that Scripture last night. Check Revelation 12:4. You kinda have to study it to completely understand what it's talking about, but the dragon refers to Satan, and it says that with his tail, he swept one third of the stars from the sky. That is referring to the 1/3 of the angels that rebelled along with him.
  14. Ian_Ball Jedi Master

star 4
    Just site revealations as a whole, the concept proves that god isn`t about love...by the way my spelling is at...atros...atroc....really bad.
  15. Falcon Chosen One

star 8
    in reply to nov 19 01, Entil'Zha, I intrepreted the day will be after X-Mas, because it says that the two witness who will be able to control the weather for two days will be killed on the 23rd, then two days later everyone exchanges gifts, makes sense when you thiknk about it, my friend seems to think this will happen around 2015, but for me 2012 sticks in my head.
  16. Ian_Ball Jedi Master

star 4
  17. Entil`Zha Jedi Master

star 4
    So that would be December 23 2012... that's the day the Mayans predicted the final cataclysm on Earth, the end of the Fifth Sun
  18. Ian_Ball Jedi Master

star 4
    at least episode 3 will be out by then...I`ve made a deal with god that my death can`t come before I see Ep3...
  19. Entil`Zha Jedi Master

star 4
    I've made a deal to live forever. If he won't hold to it, I'll be p*ssed off! :p
  20. Ian_Ball Jedi Master

star 4
    I don`t think you made a deal with god....I`m not sure god makes deals....waiiittt a minute that means we`ve made deals with the devil himself!..ah well, star wars is star wars.
  21. Entil`Zha Jedi Master

star 4
    meh! I'm immortal now, so what do I care? :D
  22. Ian_Ball Jedi Master

star 4
  23. E_Greyshadow Jedi Knight

star 2
    Just thought I'd add my two cents in here, to get another theological view in. Personally, I think that it doesn't really matter what or who you believe in; be it God, Allah, Buddha, whatever - it all goes to the same place, the same being.

An excellent exchange from "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves" goes something like this: a young child comes up to Azeem, a Moor. The child asks if God painted him, to which Azeem replies, "For certain." When asked why God painted him, Azeem then says, "Because... Allah loves wonderous variety." A lovely way to explain different races, and also a way to explain all these different religions. It's almost like getting sattelite television - more channels to choose from. :)

Again, I take a quote from the media, this time from the book "Stranger in a Strange Land" by Robert Heinlein. In it, Patricia Paiwonski says, "God isn't a cheat; He set up the game Himself - He wouldn't rig it so that the marks can't win, like a flat joint wheel in a town with a fix on. He wouldn't send anybody to Hell for losing in a crooked game." There are countries right now that even having a copy of the Bible (or the Koran, for that matter) would get you jailed. Why would a God of love let these people go to hell because of a "lack of information", for lack of a better phrase?

Anyhoo, it's late, so I'll be off now. Hope to continue this discussion in the days to come!
  24. Ian_Ball Jedi Master

star 4
    hmm, good quotes..but I have a rule of thumb for debate...

1)Don`t quote Kevin Costner movies :p

You make some good points...and I`m happy to see one of my threads actually get close to 100 posts.

Trurth of the matter is..no one actually knows, that`s why I have a hard time acepting it.

ex. I keep a dead alien in my fridge. The only person that knows for sure is me...but do I exist? or am I just a amazing glitch in this system who has happened to type out these statements....see, that`s my god hookup.
  25. Entil`Zha Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, while we're quoting on the existence of God and the role being played by the beings in the universe, I heard this from Babylon 5.

"Can a man make a rock so big that he can't move it?

But perhaps the real question should be: Can God create a puzzle so complicated that even he can't solve it... that puzzle would be us, the "intelligent" beings in the universe."

Hey, I just wanted to say something and get post #99 in this one :D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.