main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canada Canadian Theological Debate Thread

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Ian_Ball, Nov 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ian_Ball

Ian_Ball Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    Did you actually just say that western laws aren`t based on religion due to some p.c. debate in the 40`s?

If this isn`t about religion, why does the media always make a point to mention terrorist`s religion?

2. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    A Sig Op? I guess not, since I have no idea what that is lol...(feels stupid)

Weren't you the guy who was planning to join the Canadian Forces as a Signal Operator? If not, then who was that?

Actually, Justin, with Bush in the White House, they're back to the old ways of pushing their faith on others. I wouldn't be surprised if religion in schools makes a comeback, no matter how absurd that sounds.

3. Ian_Ball

Sep 21, 2001
    Oh, LMAO...I`m sorry...yeah, that`s me. That question just came out of the blue...lol

I`ve decided to go to college to study film, etc...I have lots of scripts and many who are working with me right now...so I`m concentrating on that now.

4. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    I too left the military. Figure I'll go to university and become a teacher.

5. Sar-Tamber-lac

Sar-Tamber-lac Jedi Master star 5

May 24, 2002
    Ok, I think I've established myself well enough on these boards to be able to say the comments below and have no one take offense to them. I hope I have, anyways. :)

Looking at Canada in comparison to America (no bashing please ppl) we seem to be a lot less "paraonid" of a nation in some respects...To say that this mess is over oil is true, but also lacking a few points...

I just want to make this statement real quick. I have heard this quite a bit. I'm sorry, but unless you are American, there is no way you can properly feel or understand how we felt on the whole 9/11 issue. And this isn't comin from just one crazy American-girl-who-thinks-she's-Canadian-or-something (would that sum it up, Chris ;) )...I have talked to many Americans and Canadians. We have every right to be paranoid. All of a sudden, we wake up one day, and one of our most famous landmarks is gone, with thousands of dead people in the wake. There is no way to describe the grief or paranoia that comes with this type of thing. I have flown many times since then, and I'm still forever paranoid when I get on those planes. Never was I that way before this whole thing started. So I guess I'm just tryin to say that, if you're not American, then there's no way you can understand how we feel about this. So maybe we can ease up on the whole 9/11 thing? :)

Now, onto the debate!

I was quite surprised to see this thing up! I had almost forgotten all about it! :)

My honest opinion? What's goin on now might not be related to religion...yet. There is a great upheveal in the middle east right now. Moreso than ever before. I believe this gives the perfect opportunity for the events recorded in the book of Revelation to begin. This is the perfect time for someone to come to power over there with the 'intention'of doing good and settling issues. In case you don't understand where I'm coming from, I believe we may be seeing the rise of the Antichrist in the next few years. Call me crazy if you want, it wouldn't be the first time I've heard it, but I think it's gettin ready to start.

6. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    If you want my opinion, the Antichrist rose on January 20, 2001. [face_plain]

7. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Did you actually just say that western laws aren`t based on religion due to some p.c. debate in the 40`s?

If this isn`t about religion, why does the media always make a point to mention terrorist`s religion?

No I said it WAS based...but thats where religion ends. It was based, it is not run by.

It also wasn't a debate. Teh Supreme Court ruled it.

Why does the media make a point on religion? Most likly is the case to express a distrust and dislike in contemporary religious based beliefs. People get angry with religion, it fires up teh blood and starts wars.

My point was merely that it is not religion that brought this in. I myself have no religion, I have a relationship. My faith is not based on rituals and a guideline :)

Sar, I am sorry if I offended you with my statements. I just meant that being close to a disaster made it more personal, more aware than something that happends in a far off land. IE: The Jews and the Holocaust.

But believe me when I say that I do know what it is to feel lossing so many lives and a monument to a culture. Sure I may not be an American, but I am as sure as salt human.

8. Ian_Ball

Sep 21, 2001
    I wasn`t offened at all...

I just feel the media is turning this into something it isn`t by bending the truth.

9. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    and thats new? ;)

10. Ian_Ball

Sep 21, 2001
    No, lol...I guess not.

I guess the media is the definitive religion for our day and age. People go to church (those who do) on a Sunday for a few hours...they go home and they worhip at the altar of televison/music/film.

This isn`t wrong by any means...it`s just that media is controlled by people...like religion.

Art/God may be the inspiration, but people do control it`s actions so to speak. The line is being blurred so much that I feel like making a charitable donation to the 6 o`clock news.

As long as we can look at these organizations with a wider view...we should all be ok to make our own decisions...maybe you don`t want your teeth to be their whitest?...maybe I don`t like the the taste of Pepsi?...what if I could care less where the beef is?

consuming of product is the push in this day and age..if it is laundry detergent or soul insurance.

11. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    Hi everyone, I am just passing through this
    interesting thread to make sure everything is
    going well and no one is getting upset.

the Antichrist rose on January 20, 2001.

Very interesting, I have heard something about this several years ago...

12. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    Where did you hear it, Mike? I was half kidding when I said it, by the way. I don't believe in the anti-Christ.

13. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    Sorry for intruding Chris, but its my job to make sure everyone is happy :) I am trying to remember where I heard it. Another theory
    that I heard was that the antichrist was born in the middle east and will rise up and make peace lulling the world into a false sense of peace and then turn on everyone.
    I suppose no one knows for sure....

14. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    I've heard that theory too. But you're right. We won't know until something actually happens.

15. Sar-Tamber-lac

May 24, 2002
    Another theory that I heard was that the antichrist was born in the middle east and will rise up and make peace lulling the world into a false sense of peace and then turn on everyone.

That's the biblical antichrist there...That's what I believe will happen...

16. Stina-Cri

Stina-Cri Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    I am not Canadian but.....i will most likely move to canada in my future because I can not stand my government...I hate Bush!!!! I don't think that anyone has the right to kill anyone else plus i think the american government is the most hypocritical thing in the world. But oh well...im stuck living here til im legal.

On a religios note...I am a pagan.

17. Ian_Ball

Sep 21, 2001
    Sar-Tamber-lac...I was born in Jacksonville Fla. I`ve lived in England, and I know full well what terrorisim is capeable with the IRA and all...America never seem to care until it happpened to them...but i digress.

The anti-christ...my belief is that "he" is a consiousness amongst people., not an actual person...but if it was an actual person, I`d have to say it would be a westerner...

18. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    I too know full well what terrorism is capable of from living in Germany. My people endured a 9/11 every day for years. The IRA terror is funded by America. The German terror was caused by America. Don't even get me started on "Shock and Awe."

America is not the only nation to know terror.

19. Stina-Cri

Stina-Cri Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    I can't wait to get out of this country...I hate having the rest of the world hate me...my dad goes to spain and he actually tells people he's from canada because the one time he told someone he was american and they tried to beat him up in the name of osama bin laden...which was dumb but...it kind of proves my point

20. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    Why do you make fun of Canada in your profile then?

21. Sar-Tamber-lac

May 24, 2002
    Why do you want to get out of your country because you think the world hates you? How about instead of takin that mentality, you try to live in a way that will show people not all Americans are bad? By saying what you have, you're giving into their hate. I am American, and am very proud to be so. Everyone here in Canada knows that. And I have worked very hard to show people here that not all Americans are to be hated. By saying what you have, you're giving into and attributing credit to that stereotype. Not tryin to flame or anything, just tryin to present a different viewpoint here. :)

22. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    But remember Tammy, you've been Canadianized. You act Canadian now. Of course you're well liked. :)

23. Sar-Tamber-lac

May 24, 2002
    I may have been Canadianized,Chris, but y'all haven't got me fully assimilated yet!! I love the country, but I am still very proud to be an American. You know that! :p

24. Ian_Ball

Sep 21, 2001
    A good film to watch is Michael Moore`s "Bowling For Columbine" it deals with these issues in a very intelligent manner.

*please don`t turn this into a U.S. vs. Canada debate*

25. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    Why debate that? We'll all just sit around agreeing that Canada is superior.

First rule for any debate: First find someone stupid enough to believe the opposing viewpoint.

[face_mischief] ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.