main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canada Canadians: If you were in the States, or if Al Gore were running for office in your Ccountry, would

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by PadmeCoen1138, Dec 2, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PadmeCoen1138

PadmeCoen1138 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 12, 2000
    I'm wondering. My cousins from Montreal are more anti-Bush than I am, even. They suggested that because the President of the US is such an important international office, the whole world should come help us vote. Now, if you could, would you vote Gore or Bush?
    And why does this whole mess have to happen in MY state? With our dearly beloved Governor Jeb Bush whom nobody can stand? It's not pleasant to have the whole world looking at us like some kinda dictatorship where the seniors in Florida have Republicans coming to their doors with guns threatening them if they voted Gore, which is not so far from the truth.

[edit] corrected typo in the subject line [/edit]

2. darthcleo

darthcleo Administrator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 8, 2000
    Gore.. because he's cuter.. :)

And I'm currently in Florida too

3. Entil`Zha

Entil`Zha Jedi Master star 4

Jul 9, 1999
    Gore definetely... Bush does not enough about the world to be the President... he's dumb and he's an @$$... you can even say, he's a dumb@$$, and that's just by judging his human being side... :) No really, I don't think he has what it takes to lead the US...

4. PadmeCoen1138

Aug 12, 2000
    I agree. It's embarassing that we have him as Prez or this close to being the Prez. I knew Canadians were smarter.
    Oh, and we Floridians cannot get our act together politically. We can't count, we're always ordering recounts and sending double or triple electors- from 1876, with Rutherford Hayes, up to now. I guess the shade from our glorious palm trees is the perfect place to steal a vote or two under. Hmm.

5. Riley Man

Riley Man Jedi Master star 5

Dec 19, 1999
    Personally I would've given serious thought to a third party. But I wouldn't have been able to, in good conscience, vote for Bush. So if it came down to those two, I would've voted Gore.

6. Entil`Zha

Jul 9, 1999
    Bush's policies are a lot like the Alliance's.. death penalty, abortion, guns, gays, military... both parties (Republican and Alliance) are extreme catholics who believe the Earth is only 6000 years old, that the first humans were Adam and Eve, so really, our politics are similar on this point, except that we re-elected a more liberal government not stuck with the old ways and days

7. Entil`Zha

Jul 9, 1999
    I'm only putting the facts on the table... or on the boards... face it, both parties have the same ideals, if they are not the same, they are very, very, very similar, like brothers and sisters.. I would even dare to say that the Alliance is the canadian baby-brother of the US Republican party

8. TragicLad

TragicLad Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    I have to agree with Entil'Zha.

The Canadian Alliance is as right wing as it gets here in Canada. While taken as a whole, they're about as extreme as the most right winged of Democrats, there are individual members that would make even the staunchest Republican shudder.

One small correction to an above point. AFAIK, young earth creationism is actually contrary to modern Catholic teaching. The world being 6,000 yrs old sort of thing is the type of stuff that most often comes from the Southern Baptist line of thought. And even then, it should be noted that very few actually believe that. It just seems that those who do are very vocal and very determined to land positions where they can foist their backwards opinions on the rest of society (Kansas schoolboard for example).

9. TragicLad

Nov 29, 2000
    >They suggested that because the President
    >of the US is such an important international
    >office, the whole world should come help us
    >vote.

I disagree. It's their nation, their vote.
    However, it is a pretty sad state of affairs that's going on right now. At this point in time, it doesn't matter who's placed in office - close to half the nation won't recognize the decision.

Personally, I would prefer Gore. Bush had three terms in office already, time to give some other folks a chance.

10. TragicLad

Nov 29, 2000
    >Are you thinking of Bush's father or something?

That's what I was inferring.
    Some people feel that Bush Sr. would be the one pulling the strings, just as they feel he pulled the strings of good ol' Ronnie oh so many years back.

Whether any of that's so -- who can say?

11. PadmeCoen1138

Aug 12, 2000
    Thrawn that was so mean of you! Everyone knows I can't type foir my life!
    And I agree. it's the big guys in the nback pulling the strings like Cheney and Baker and Bush the first, not the Shrub. Florida is such a retarded state- nice but retarded. I mean, here the north is all republican and the south is all democratic- the opposite of the rest of the nation. And we have gumbo-limbo trees here. What kind of statre do they have gumbo-limbo trees in?

12. TheGrandePoobah

TheGrandePoobah Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    >> Seriously though, what did I say that was mean?

> Don't badmouth the Alliance!

Unless I missed something the other users are entitled to their opinions. As I see it Entil`Zha was only stating his opinion, and the facts as he sees them. Rather than a brisk reply like that why not state your opinion, discuss.

> Grrrrrrrrrr

How can a post like this be viewed other than being 'mean' or an attack?

13. Entil`Zha

Jul 9, 1999
    *yawn* Wake me up when the all powerful americans have decided who is their president.. oh geez.. I better not go to sleep, you may never wake me up!! I now declare the US election 2000 as the most ridiculous event of this new decade! Anyone to second that motion?

14. Uilmuteiz

Uilmuteiz RSA Emeritus star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    I second that motion my brother, (sorry to all of you Americans.. but it's true)

15. Entil`Zha

Jul 9, 1999
    LOL, that is so true Thrawn!! 4 weeks....

16. Entil`Zha

Jul 9, 1999
    Because they want to be the first channel to announce the big win.. that's why they looked like fools all night long!

17. Cristalia

Cristalia Jedi Youngling star 3

May 15, 2000
    Well...now it's all over...it looks to be an interesting few years down south, no?

Cris~

18. Entil`Zha

Jul 9, 1999
    The reporters in the US were able to get their hands on the ballots, they will make a hand recount of all the Floriduh votes! This should be interesting!

19. PadmeCoen1138

Aug 12, 2000
    Don't ever vacation here anymore; the only thing that'll save us in the long run is if we have a major recession for the next few years! PLease help us help ourselves in the next election!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.