main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC #CancelColbert... nah

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthTunick , Mar 28, 2014.

1. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    She's been quite clear she was aware of the satirical nature of the post. That was never her objection.

Adam of Nuchtern likes this.
  2. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I'm sure she's literally being oppessed ever day. It's literally like Nazi Germany.

3. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Newsflash: it shall now be considered whining or at least unhinged to complain about any level of racism, institutional or de jure, if that is less then what was seen in Nazi Germany.

Good rule. So glad we are being reasonable about things.

4. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Reasonable went out the door when someone decided to start a stupid twitter campaign over harmless sarcasm.

5. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
  6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I think it's valid to criticize a white comedian using caricatures of Asians to prove a point, well-intentioned or not. I think she also has a point that Asians in general tend to be more acceptable targets in American pop culture. That said, she also claimed she doesn't really want his show canceled (the hashtag she coined not exactly agreeing with her). She's a "hashtag activist" who specializes in knee-jerk reactions. I'm not sure she was actually aware it was satire at first.

Twitter is awful, is my point.

7. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    What do these people whose entire social media presences are nothing but diatribes against white people hope to gain? This is one thing i've never understood.

8. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    This whole thing is just as good as when people mistake an Onion article for fact and lose their mind.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  9. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Yeah, except part of her point is that it's not harmless. "Sarcastic" use of racist idiom and convention still has the potential to propagate and normalize such discourse within society. It certainly doesn't meaningfully discourage usage.

Of course, its impossible to express anything so complex on a medium that was designed to promote Captain Crunch cereal. The abbreviated version turned out to be as resultantly stupid as one might guess, and therein in is a good critique for having attempted the dialogue on that platform in the first place. But there's no reason to get paranoid and believe that instead of her stated rationale for the protest, she's actually a key figure in some UN/FEMA/Kenyan-atheist-Muslim anti-white conspiracy designed to crush Good Americans. Is it so hard to believe that young tech enthusiast just conveyed a decent point stupidly?

10. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    For God's sake Wocky, it's Cap'n Crunch.

11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm guessing in his time period that he tragically was shot out of, it was spelled that way.

12. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Incorrect. Oversensitive.

13. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    How good of you to dictate to everyone else how they should feel about something you will virtually never be in any position to experience.

14. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    She was being pretty oversensitive.

Ender Sai likes this.
  15. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    How easy it is to forget that white people aren't allowed to have opinions on racism.

16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    We really shouldn't since we've oppressed other cultures the most out of any race.

Dark Lady Mara likes this.
  17. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I don't mind anyone having an opinion. But Ender just made a blanket denial that an entire class of complaints could ever be legitimate. That's just telling people to shut up.

I mean, it's not as if he even suggested that he disagreed with her. He just doesn't want to hear about it because it's irritating and "over-sensitive." Having an opinion should at least involve having something to say about the topic at hand. If it's simply the conversation itself that irritates you, needn't participate to begin with.

18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Wocky people should focus on real issues instead of finding reasons to be miserable. OH LOOK. I COULD CHOSE TO TAKE OFFENSE AT OBVIOUS SATIRE! SO MANY POOR PEOPLE HAVE BEEN FED AS A RESULT OF IT!

It's idiotic, and I'm right to say she's being a git.

DarthTunick likes this.
  19. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    What "real" issues? Is it your position that Asian-Americans don't face any "real" bias or discrimination in the US? Really?

20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Oh, ok, so what they're doing it attention whoring by engaging in a cheap political stunt, capitalising on the popularity of Colbert to get their cause heard?

In terms of discrimination Asians feel (can you stop the prefix-American rubbish? It does nothing to dispel the 'nation of idiots' tag) in the US, I would argue their cause was valid were they actually being discriminated against. But they're not, they just don't like being involved in jokes due to face.

It's a non-issue, Wocky, and there's real issues out there which actually affect people every day. Just saying.

21. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Wocky, I get the impression that Ender was saying that she was being over sensitive in this case, not that there is no legitimate case of Asian Americans being the target of racism.

Jedi Merkurian and Ender Sai like this.
  22. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I just checked and, somehow, #CancelHumanTrafficking isn't a thing. #Priorities

23. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Read his last post.

24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    My latest case makes the same point.

Vivec, you are correct. Wocky, you are Wocky.

Kony2012!

25. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    I have. In it he directly states that he would support Asian Americans who feel discrimination in cases where it's actually happening.