main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC #CancelColbert... nah

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthTunick , Mar 28, 2014.

1. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    What are you trying to imply when you say they "aren't being discriminated against?" Do you mean in this particular instance, or that Asians never face discrimination in the US?

If the latter, you are insane. If the former, you ought to better appreciate the way art and entertainment can reinforce culture, thereby buttressing prejudice. For instance, one might well call minstrel shows, a "non-issue" in the US's Southern states, relative to the legalized segregation that was also contemporary. But you'd do well to consider that probably the most popular character archetype from such racist minstrel shows was "Jim Crow" as in the eponymous body of aforementioned segregation laws. Working on both simultaneously can be and is important.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    What?

Wocky have you considered investing in a growth industry called "making sense"?

I've helped a lot of investors achieve a net ROI of 9.3%p.a., beating out the benchmark index - the ARLOL - by 6%.

3. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I COULD CHOSE TO TAKE OFFENSE

4. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Your analysis makes sense if you pretend that all acts of discrimination or prejudice exist independently of one another. The "real" racism someone faces is completely disconnected from the way they are portrayed in media.

Extend this logic to other domains. Do you think that women need to get over complaints of being overly-sexualized in movies, comics, and television so that we can focus on "real" issues like rape? Or do you think that rape culture is perhaps reinforced by the relentless presentation of women as sex objects in these media?

5. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    What racism is she facing here?

Ender Sai likes this.
  6. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Wocky's being racist in assuming all whites are racist.

#CancelWocky

7. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Following the logic of the rape argument, it is that the frequent deployment of Asian-Americans as the butt of racial humor creates an environment where it is more acceptable to discriminate against Asians than it would be to treat someone of another ethnicity in the same manner. This particular instance is not being protested because it is in itself wrong, just as there is nothing theoretically wrong with a single story wherein a female protagonist faces sexual violence. Rather, her contention is that this should be an issue because of the overall pattern of usage. There is a skew towards using Asian stereotypes in these sorts of contexts that concerns her, just as Ender has expressed concern about the dramatic skew towards having females encounter sexual violence in fiction where males do not.

8. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Except Asian americans weren't the butt of the humor here.

9. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    How would you like me to phrase it? "Collateral damage in the humor?" It doesn't affect my point in the slightest.

We can all grasp that the joke was well-meaning. These things often are. But if they always work by pretending to take aim at Asians, that' still problematic. The fact that they didn't "really" mean it begins to become obscured by the frequency with which it occurs.

10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Wocky, when Mexicans racistly worried the use of Maori clones in the second Star Wars abortion, Attack of the Lucas, were they expressing a valid concern validly?

11. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

I've got the feeling you'd take umbrage if another/any ethnic group had been the target of the joke.

Ender Sai likes this.
  12. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Let me be clear about this. I do think her complaint is particular to Asians. Other ethnicities aren't used in this way with the same frequency.

But on the broader question, what exactly is your point? Why is it a good thing? Why do we need to make jokes that make "sarcastic" use of racist comments? What does that accomplish that can't be achieved through other means? Is there some intrinsic good to continually bringing up slurs and stereotypes such that we need to continue their "joking" usage? Why would it be a bad thing if these disappeared, and what is it about the practice you are trying to defend?

Darth Guy and Adam of Nuchtern like this.
  13. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Wocky you're misrepresenting people here. Literally no one here is arguing what you're saying they're arguing.

14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    #WockyWocky

15. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

The free use of any language to make a satirical, comedic point. Nothing ought to be (well, should be) off-limits.

16. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    The only people you can make racist comments at are white people because white people are the devil. Get it together, Tunick.

DarthTunick likes this.
  17. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Are people also free to have opinions about it?

18. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    No one said they can't.

In fact, the only person who told someone that he couldn't have an opinion was Suey Park to her interviewer on HuffPo.

19. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    No, I think Suey Park is completely off the mark. I'm just talking about Tunick's general comment about nothing being off-limits.

20. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    I don't see why you would need to ask that question though. His comment taken literally means nothing is off limits.

21. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

Duh. I was simply clarifying my position to Wocky.

22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, just because opinions are sometimes more than "I dislike this" and can extend to things like "I will boycott this" and "I will demand this go off the air."

So the point I am raising is that it is not illegitimate to demand a show get cancelled because of objection to something. It's just that it's an extreme thing to call for, and in this case Park has a really terrible case.

23. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
  24. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    What does that have to do with Suey Park? How does it have any relevance at all to this discussion?

25. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Wocky, do you find faces come out of the rain?

Or no-one remembers your name?