main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Cancelled literature projects

Discussion in 'Literature' started by General Immodet, Jun 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    This thread can be used to discuss cancelled literature projects.
    I mainly want you to focus on projects that never were seen through.

On Wookieepedia, there are some articles about such things:
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Cancelled_comics
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Cut_stories
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Horse_invasion_storyline

Some questions to get you started:
    -) Which project would you love to see being realized?
    -) Are there any cancelled projects that are not mentioned on Wookieepedia?
    -) What do you think about Dark Horse's invasion storyline?

2. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Would have liked to have seen those TOR timelines finished.

AusStig, Rew, EECHUUTA and 2 others like this.
  3. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Agents of the Empire.

Oh, and Agents of the Empire.

4. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    As no surprise to anyone, the majority of cut content which I am curious about are the various permutations of the NJO series, beginning with the Dark Horse invasion storyline and including the Knightfall trilogy, as well as the earlier "drafts" of the series plan including the much earlier one with a completely different story and the more immediate predecessor to the final product except in which Anakin Solo is the character undergoing the hero's journey and the Yuuzhan Vong are exiled Sith.

Though I suppose I'm curious about what the plot to KOTOR 3 would have been. I'm sure there's more stuff I'm forgetting, I'd be interested in what Veitch tried to get published besides Dark Empire and TOTJ, like Lightsider.

As for Dark Horse's invasion, I really have no idea what it was about. I seem to recall reading Randy teasing something about the invaders using some weapon that would be a match against a lightsaber, but not explaining what it was presumably so it could potentially be recycled into a published story, but I have no clue if that happened. I have no idea what the invaders even were.

I dunno what is and isn't listed on Wookieepedia, but I have seen some old 90s websites which I have bookmarked that list upcoming or cancelled projects. Here's one:

http://reocities.com/Hollywood/1974/upcoming.htm

It seems there was intended to be a Shadows of the Empire prequel novel. It's interesting just to read what the status quo was back then, what was "known" and what subsequently changed.

5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    SOTJ.
    Also would like to see where the Legacy comics would have gone if they weren't forced to stop at issue 50.

spicer likes this.
  6. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    All of a sudden that suddenly sounds like he was already talking about Forcesabers right back then, just an invasion of Sith wielding Forcesabers, rather than Rakata wielding Forcesabers.

7. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Maybe, but that seems too obvious. The speculation was that these invaders weren't humanoid, and I recall Randy dismissing the idea that they were energy based lifeforms, or something along those lines. I don't think that they were similar to the Yuuzhan Vong in the sense of being exiled Sith that would carry a weapon with that degree of similarity to the lightsaber.

8. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Ah, yeah, the Sith invasion wasn't Dark Horse's one, but Del Rey's early idea, got them muddled up for a second.

Although I could easily have seen Crimson Empire 2's Nom Anor pulling out this Forcesaber, would have easily fit with the look Dark Horse had in their head at the time.

9. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
  10. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    darklordoftech likes this.
  11. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Cool website.
    That's interesting. I remember some people assuming that KJA didn't know Skorr had died until the last minute, leading him to do a find and replace of "Skorr" to "Czethros" (and add green hair). But this would indicate that KJA was aware and was intending to resurrect Skorr.

Wonder what fell through. Maybe they couldn't find a good way to bring him back. Or perhaps Skorr's inane death was just too amusing to retcon.

12. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Maybe LucasFilm felt only important characters like Palpatine, Boba Fett, and Darth Maul can be resurrected.

It seems like a lot of this stuff fell through due to it not meeting LucasFilm approval for various reasons.

Rogue_Follower likes this.
  13. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    That Shaak Ti novel was basically finished and ready to print when they canceled it, right? Do we know of any other projects that made it to that stage before being axed?

14. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Jedi Storm

15. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    It sounds almost like they used to have some kind of... Story Group that had to approve things first. :eek:

But nah, we all know that's a brand new idea that never existed before last month.

16. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Still upset about the Zekk novel and Imperial Commandos 2. I always had a lingering, albeit misguided, hope that someone would do a follow up/conclusion for IC2.

sent from my MOTO X-Wing

Revanfan1 likes this.
  17. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Really disappointed by the sudden cancellations of Dark Times, Legacy (well, in 2 months from now) and Dawn of the Jedi...

18. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Not excatly as you put it, you see they still had to go through GL, and stuff to get things approved and we all know that GL was werid when it came to this. Yeah, he hand pick authors, checked storylines, but do'n t do this or that becuase who knows what. With this new story group none of that happens now, now everything is it. All those cancellations, ommissions are going to be avoided now with this new story group and direction. Yep, many of you will hate it , but its the way to go. It avoids all this cancelled what if crap. Take for example the new Rebels, some people were saying man its only got 16 episodes. Yes it does, buit we also have a novel that is canon coming out that will be an original story apart from what we will see on screen. Now its up to Marvel comics to do new stuff with Rebels and guess what? Now we have content that can almost equal to a 26 epsiode season. Not bad if you ask me.

19. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I think LucasFilm's approval process was really arbitrary, whereas the story group is allegedly going to stop the books from stepping on the movies' toes. For instance, Zahn said he wasn't allowed to have Artoo fly the X-Wing solo in Specter of the Past and that he fought the editors over this silliness.

And then Artoo flies a starfighter in TCW by himself.

Grievousdude and Iron_lord like this.
  20. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    GODV 7-9? Crikey.

21. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    what could have been

Force Smuggler likes this.
  22. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Continuity with the old LFL was a little like Men in Black. Sometimes issues leaked through the cracks. But the Holocron would tell you to ignore these issues. Get people not to notice and forget.

Continuity with the new LFL will be like 1984. "Story Group" is just newspeak for -- oh wait they've already got me....I see them coming through the windows now.........

23. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    we were never at war with eastasia

JediMasterJessica and Riv_Shiel like this.
  24. vong333

Oct 18, 2003
    The license is going to Marvel, better that it gets cancelled with a semi-decent ending than it just gets cancelled.

25. vong333

Oct 18, 2003
    I think its going to be better. The movies and TCW should be number 1 since they came out of GL. Everything else should revolve around this and it will finally happen. I didn't particularly like TFU, the mere fact that a super force user could be around that time really ticked me off, knowing that Luke Skywalker is the man for the OT and he will help his father bring balance. I accept Jekk-14 because thats lego stuff and its not canon along with the robot chicken and family guy star wars stuff. I think the new system will be better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.