main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    My problem is that I can't physically get there until my bike is fixed. :p I don't drive. (The fairly pathetic bus system in my hometown doesn't run through my neighbourhood or in the direction of the cinema)

2. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I haven't seen Iron Man yet, probably will sometime this week... If I don't go to see Star Trek again. (Though not in IMAX 3D this time, not because it wasn't awesome, but it's just so expensive!)
    From what I've heard, I would say go see Trek, as the others have said.

I go to the movies by myself all the time. It's hard to coordinate with my roommates and I've missed a few I really wanted to see waiting for a good time for them.

3. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    I will be the voice of dissent and say see Iron Man instead (even though I haven't seen it, lol). I was disappointed with Star Trek.

And I'm really annoyed after reading what the costume designer said about one of the actresses being in her underwear, not to mention the STUPID Starfleet uniform miniskirts.

4. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
  5. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I read a story where that happened with Luke and Leia. Can you imagine the heartbreak intermixed with horror!

6. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I think I know what fic you are talking about. It was quite dark and somewhat horrifying, but very well done and enjoyable. But yeah, if that is a true news story it would be both heartbreaking and disturbing. A friend of mine actually had a crush on her older half brother, of course she didn't know this till years later.

7. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    I liked Star Trek and Iron Man both... couldn't decide which one I prefer. Probably Iron Man purely because it's Iron Man and he's awesome. But Trek is really good too.

What was the problem with the costumes? They wore miniskirts in the original TV series too, so it makes sense to me. Continuity and all that, right?

8. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004
    I just think they're really dumb and impractical for any type of professional environment. I realize they're an "homage" to the original series (I've only seen the 2009 film), but since they changed/updated other stuff, why not update the uniforms? Lengthen the skirts, or let the women wear pants, too.

Combined with a really gratuitous underwear shot, the uniforms really grated on my nerves more than ever. :p

9. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    I've seen Iron Man three times. I've seen Star Trek three times. Of the two, while both are awesome, the one I want to see again ASAP is Star Trek.

10. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Did anyone brave Star Trek in 3D? I went to it in 2D because there was no way I was going to survive 3D lense flairs after getting up at 3 that morning and driving for 10 hours. Was the 3D worth the extra money (for me it rarely is), and is it even survivable for those of us with vision impairments, because if I go again it'll be with my friends and they'll want to see it in 3D.

11. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    I have trouble seeing 3D movies because of the big difference in my eyes, makes it so I can't focus correctly for the effect. So I never bother. I'm considering seeing it IMAX, though.

12. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I have difficulty with 3D movies as well, due to decreased vision in my right eye. Anaglyphic (red-blue) 3D effects don't work as well with me, and 3D movies are hit or miss. If I can, I'll go see them in 3D, as I can perceive depth pretty well, despite my stereoscopic depth perception being really poor. I'll also go see 3D movies if the ticket is being paid by someone else. However, if I have the option, I'd sooner go to the 2D showing, but that decision is based more on price than my poor vision.

13. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Depending on the day and the movie, sometimes my eyes can handle 3D, but other times they will give me a horrible migraine. Most of the time I won't even bother, especially if the movie wasn't shot in 3D. I saw it in IMAX (our town doesn't have IMAX, so we figured if we were in a big city, we might as well). It was pretty sweet.

14. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    I've never actually seen a movie in IMAX.

15. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I had only ever been to the IMAX twice. The first time was during my senior trip to the Inner Harbor, and I went to a presentation at the Maryland Science Center. The second was when I saw Star Trek in San Francisco. The closest IMAX to me is in Harrisburg, at the Whitaker Center, about an hour or so away.

16. LexiLupin

LexiLupin Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 27, 2011
    Closest IMAX to me is a bit over an hour away in Moore, Oklahoma...yeah, they're closed at the moment...

17. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    The closest IMAX to me is 125 miles away. The closest regular theater is 40 miles away. I don't know if I could handle watching mini skirt uniforms. That is one thing I liked about ST New Generation is there were no miniskirts. Although their uniforms were so form fitting it looked like some actors spray painted them on. I didn't like Wesley Crusher either. He was as annoying as Jar Jar.

18. LexiLupin

LexiLupin Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 27, 2011
    *thumbs up*

19. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    When you look up "Gary Stu" in the dictionary you see a picture of Wesley. :p

20. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Re: Star Trek costumes. In Into Darkness the women did wear pants too, quite a bit actually. Honestly, I don't remember even noticing them in mini skirts. My favorite costume of Uhura's was most definitely pants.

I must be a bad woman or something because these things rarely bother me at all. I refuse to have a double standard and gawk at the beautiful men folk when they are less than clothed or in something very flattering... there were a few such costumes in Into Darkness. (Not saying anyone here has a double standard, I just know quite a few feminist that completely do and it drives me bonkers)

I saw it in IMAX 3D and I'm glad I did, but I don't think it's necessary to see it that way. There were some fun shots that took advantage of the 3D, but nothing that I think HAD to be in 3D.

21. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I'd like to see young Scotty in a kilt. That is one gratuitous underwear shot I wouldn't mind seeing. :p

22. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Were there women in pants? I vaguely remember some, but I'll have to re-watch. While I think there is a double standard when it comes to some feminists, I think the point was, in a professional environment, women don't wear that kind of thing. Now, in, say, a beach scene where the men are shirtless, I think it is fine to have actresses scantly clad. But it's a movie, I don't really care.

More importantly, I'm jealous of my little brother's homework. He has to write 30 minutes in an average life 700 years from now. I told him to write a post-armageddon scene. My mother just rolled her eyes.

23. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Yes, there were a bunch of women, especially cadets, running around in pants in the scenes around Starfleet HQ. As for Next Gen not having miniskirts, they did. Troi ran around in a miniskirt for a few episodes back in the first season.

24. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Then Troi graduated to low-cut v-necks.

As for miniskirts... I have a fondness for those uniforms. I also make a terrible woman because of that. :p

25. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004

That's my way of thinking. I would never wear a miniskirt to work. One, it's against the dress code. Two, it'd be uncomfortable if I had to move around. Three, I'd be freezing.

Also, I don't think it makes anyone a bad woman if they're not offended by miniskirts. :p I'm not even offended by it, I just think it's dumb.

Now Lindelhof's comments about Carol Marcus having to be in her underwear, on the other hand, offend me and not just as a woman, but a human being.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.