main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Just had to flee a message board because someone posted an idiocy I couldn't deal with. To paraphrase the ramble:

"I haven't seen The Hobbit and don't intend to, because I don't like sci-fi. I like movies like Star Wars and Dune, fantasy stuff."

Iverna likes this.
  2. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    [face_plain]

[face_plain] [face_plain] [face_plain]

I shall replace that idiocy with a more charming thought.

Today, a red admiral butterfly landed on me, and I held a fuzzy tiger moth.

3. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Cool! I had a friend who was terrified of moths, but I like them, for the most part. Except when they eat my stuff, and when one flies into my face in the middle of the night and makes me think I have a spider crawling on me.

4. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Wait, WHAT? First I thought it was a typo you missed, then I realized you were paraphrasing it. I grant you, some people consider Star Wars to be fantasy (I think in Empire of Dreams GL said something like Star Wars is less sci-fi, more space opera fantasy) but I'm sorry, the Hobbit is like THE DEFINITION of fantasy (and certainly the furthest thing from sci-fi).

I hate moths. Caterpoclyspe turns into attack of the moths (our town is going through ANOTHER caterpillar infestation which will lead to the eventual moth infestation).

5. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Maybe somebody was posting while drunk or they don't understand the definition of Fantasy. I don't like dragon fantasy stuff either...no matter what it is called. I couldn't finish watching any Harry Potter movie, LOTR, or the Hobbit.

6. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I haven't seen The Hobbit, but I have a pretty valid excuse to back me up. Lack of transportation. :p

7. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Ah, "everyone knows" [:D] that Star Wars is Space Opera!

8. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    The term "space opera" always conjures up an amusing image in my head of Richard Wagner conducting a gigantic orchestra on a Star Destroyer, with accompaniment from a Rebel Alliance vs. Empire fight in the background.

Iverna and JediMara77 like this.
  9. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    You want to see why my allergies are acting up. Look at this stuff. It is all over the lawn and sides of the roads. It almost looks like it snowed again.

[​IMG]

10. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I haven't seen the Hobbit and I'm not sure I want to either. I loved the book but I'm not sure I agree with the way it's being handled as a trilogy.

If anyone wants some good Space Opera, Randolph Lalonde has a book series called 'The Spinward Fringe'. The first book in the series is free, but I was hooked and bought the rest anyway. At free you can't really go wrong.

Jedi_Lover: that looks kinda pretty to me. Shame about the allergies though. I get trouble sometimes so I know how bad it can be. [:D]

11. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Found the problem with our dishwasher, after taking the bottom rack out. A wooden fork was wedged under the coil at the very back, nearly lengthwise and invisible. It's dead, Jim.

12. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    The fork or the dishwasher?

13. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    The fork. It was charred so bad I just tossed it in the trash. Dishwasher's fine.

14. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    My closet has taken on a strange smell.

Perhaps it is a sign that I should clean it out.

15. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    J_L, that's terrible! I feel ya though! It's been so hot all the windows are open in my apartment with every fan going possible, and there is pollen on everything! It's gross and I may claw my eyes out of my head.

I'm working a random night shift tonight, not because I want to but I was on call and got called in. It was so hot today I couldn't take a nap so I'm going a 12 hour night shift after waking up at 8am this morning, I'll probably get home around 8am tomorrow. It will be good money since it's overtime and I also get a night shift and weekend differental, but if I start posting nonsense long about 2am, I apologize now! :p

16. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Dishwashers are among the things causing kitchen fires frequently, same with laundry dryers.
    A colleague escaped with her life because neighbours made quite a ruckus when she and her family didn't wake up (no smoke alarm in the house) when the dishwasher caused that kitchen fire.
    My (ex)colleagues had to save the cat and dog

17. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Mavis, I had to work a random evening shift at the beginning of the week- our night guy was called in for jury duty- and I swear it just threw my whole week off. Thankfully, he was dismissed after day one (it was a 20 day trial, so we're really glad we got him back), but the one night I had to work the evening, I was called in to stay an hour late, because the batch of quicktime files they were rendering just had to be delivered to the producer that night or everything would be ruined. Yeah, the next morning was all kinds of fun. Buuut, a couple hours of overtime will be nice to have, since I just had to sink a bunch of money into fixing my car. And apparently we're going to be rotating Saturdays through June because we have to finish up whatever the heck footage it is we're sending to San Diego Comic Con (I was just assigned to The Amazing Spider-Man 2, and it's early enough that I honestly have no idea what's going on with this movie yet). So, fun times!

18. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Brain: It's 10 pm. Let's go to bed now so we can get up early tomorrow and do stuff.

Me: You have the greatest ideas, Brain!

3 am...

Brain: Hey! Hey! Hey! It's time to get up!

Me: It's 3 am...

Brain: I said that we were going to get up early. We had plenty of sleep. Let's get up and do stuff!

Me: BRRAAAAAAAAAIIIN!

19. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    I get that all the time, Trak. 4:30 in the morning, I wake up and feel like doing something. Problem is, it's 4:30 in the freaking morning and nothing is open. Also, everyone else is asleep, so noise = bad.

I'm housesitting while my parents are away (meaning I'm in charge of everything, including my 30yo, handicapped brother, even though I live here anyway) and I've developed a bad habit of falling asleep on the sofa with the cat. Meant to close my eyes for a little while at 6 PM, woke up at 1:30 this morning and can't get back to sleep.

20. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I called my half-brother to let him know that I paid my pet deposit, so the cat can come over any time. I can't wait to start falling asleep on the couch with that cat!

Until then, though, my brain now decides it wants sleep.

Make up your damn mind, brain!

21. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    It's almost over... a little more than an hour and I can go home!! [face_hypnotized]
    That's how I feel, especially since I work again Monday and Tuesday. I feel like I can only sleep a few hours today because I have to be able to get to sleep tonight so I can wake up at 5am Monday.
    Awesome that you are on The Amazing Spider-Man 2! :D

Trak, I've certainly done that myself. I hate being awake in the middle of the night when all you want to do is sleep. :(

22. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    I listened to something just the other day about the myth of the 8-hours-in-a-row sleep we supposedly need. I can dig up the link if anyone's interested. It was actually really good, because now I'm less obsessed with getting so many hours a night and in a row, which means I stress and freak out about it less, and that means I wind up sleeping more easily. Not everyone's wired to sleep for hours and hours in a row. Sleep when you feel like it.

That said, I've always struggled with sleep. It takes me ages to get to sleep in the evening. That's just how I am though, I don't think there's really much to be done about it except to plan for it.

23. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    "Sleep when I feel like it" makes me unproductive, sadly. But I find I'm sleeping longer when my cats sleep with me, rather than waking up every 20 minutes.

24. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    I'm technically on vacation right now (i.e. my next job doesn't start until the end of June. Aye aye :rolleyes: ) and I've developed the incredibly annoying habit of staying up until 3:00am or 3:30am (sometimes even later... there was one night last week where I was still awake writing when my dad got up to have breakfast. Oops.). The result is that I sleep in until 11:00 or 11:30 and it makes me feel so unproductive and useless, wasting my mornings. Especially since I love mornings. I hate missing them. :p

I wish my brain had an off-switch. It just doesn't like being turned off. [face_laugh]

Iverna likes this.
  25. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Oy, I know that feeling. It's the worst when I'm working really early mornings, and I can't turn my brain off in a reasonable amount of time to get a healthy amount of sleep.

Also, I just think the world needs to know that right now, my boyfriend and I are having a text message conversation consisting of nothing but the word "Hodor."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.