main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Peter dated Gwen Stacy for awhile in the comics. She's a pretty well-known character in Spidey canon, I guess. ginchy would be so proud of me for knowing that.

ginchy likes this.
  2. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    If I recall my Spidey canon from when I was like 10, he dated Gwen, but married and had kids (or was it just a daughter) with Mary Jane. But that is probaly wrong, I was always more into x-men than Spider-Man.

Edit. I was wrong, kinda, they had a son in canon but a daughter in the alternate timeline.

3. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    they had a daughter, but peter traded his daughter, and wife to get aunt may back from mephisto.
    so his marriage never happened, it was the story "one more day"

also with dc's new 52 clark never married, or dated lois, but he's now dating wonder woman.

4. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005

My baby's all grown up!!! :p I am very proud!!

But I can't talk Spiderman. It makes me ragey. (I was the biggest fan ever and then.... RAGE RAGE RAGE)

5. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I got into Marvel when I was about 10, but it all got SO confusing with the alternate timelines and reboots, and it also got expensive. So I stopped, but I'm still a fan through the movies.

6. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
  7. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
  8. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    They jumped the shark years ago.

9. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    That's part of the reason why I stopped reading comics. Someone was always finding out they had a long lost sister, or dying only to come back to life. There were very few ends to stories and characters and for me, I felt cheated because we are never going to see the end. The shark jumping for some characters started before I was born.

10. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    I pretty much stopped reading comics when the Age of Apocalypse thing happened in X-Men, and gave up altogether when they killed Jean Grey and had Scott hook up with Emma Frost. Though I will say that Phoenix: Endsong was freaking awesome.

11. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    They jumped the shark with Sp/Ock.

12. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I got really overwhelmed with comics once I got through my father's small comic book collection (mostly X-Men). I didn't know where to go and there was no end and I didn't know where to start. I was also 10, so I wasn't exactly smart :p

So, I decided to go out for dinner with some friends from high school and university for my birthday (the day after my birthday) . But a couple girls got scheduled to work that day, so I'm going out with a bunch of guy friends, one of which I've been attracted to since grade 10, so it might be an interesting night.

I'm also doing something with my church friends later in the week, but I'm not allowed details (*rolls eyes*).

13. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    My Dad came home from a garage sale one day with a HUGE box of comics. I think there were around 300 or more, both Marvel and DC comics from the 70s. He was all excited. He got them for $10. I remember reading them all day and night for days. It was summer time so there wasn't any school. I still have a lot but I sold hundreds on Ebay a few years ago.

14. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    My dad had an extensive comic book collection when he married my mom. He ripped up a lot of them and hid, er, adult publications in them, inside the covers. They eventually divorced, around 1986. Back in the late '90s, he gave us several boxes of comics (nothing adult in there). We were going through and found the front cover of Spiderman #1. Not the first appearance, the first issue of the official comic. Yeah. If it had been intact, it would have been worth $88,000 at that time. [face_plain]

15. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Oh no!!! Doesn't that just kill ya? Thanks Dad...not.

16. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    We were . . . less than pleased, suffice to say.

17. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Wow. $88,000? I would have wanted to smack him. My stepdad as a kid found ancient arrowheads. From the way he described them, they would have been worth a lot of money, however he left them he moved. I once yelled at him: THOSE BELONGED IN A MUSEUM!

My sister now has my father's comic books, but I'm pretty sure they were all from 89-90. We've looked and there's nothing of value. If there had been, he would have sold it long before he died.

18. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    My comic collection has nothing of value, either. It's a relatively new collection, as the one I had when I was a kid I didn't know how to take care of properly. :oops:

19. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I only got into comics when the Legacy series started. Now it's the new Legacy series, My Little Pony, the My Little Pony micro series, Dawn of the Jedi, and the new all female cast X-Men which has just started. I did get the reboot of Resurrection Man too, that was good while it lasted.

20. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I had to stop buying comics when I moved. No comic stores in Gettysburg. :(

And Mabel sleeps on the floor right beside my chair when I'm at my drafting table, whether I be drawing or just on the computer. So sweet. :3

21. ginchy

May 25, 2005
    I was super into comics from 1994 through 2001, then I gave them up due to storylines that were lacking (and lacking funds! ;) ) I've read a few mini-series in the years since then but I have just now started to get back into comics--I have a pull list and everything. And that's all because X-Files #1 just hit the shelves and I am sooooooooooooooo back on that train! [face_alien]

22. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    ginchy I am reading those Star Wars comics you mentioned to me. The story isn't bad but doesn't Leia and Luke seem OOC? I don't remember anywhere in the novels that stated Leia did any of those things depicted in the comics or had those particular piloting skills and Luke doesn't act like my Farmboy. It is like they put Han's personality into Luke. Or is that just me?

Also, since Luke was so confident in those comics...why does it take him FOREVER and a Force intervention in the profics to hit up on Mara! If the Luke in those comics was the Luke in TTT, then the hike through Wayland would have been like Trace's One Night One Wayland fanfic. :p

ginchy likes this.
  23. ginchy

May 25, 2005
    I've only read the first two issues (though I just bought 3 - 6 and hope to finish them this weekend). I don't know how to feel about some of the character traits in it yet... I'm hoping they'll make more sense as the issues go on. I get that they're trying something new but some of it seems unnecessary.

24. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I agree. By building up some of the characters as really good at particular skills that we never knew they had...it sort of sends a message that their role was in the EU was not good enough.

For example, Leia is a politician. She is a strategist. She is sometimes an undercover agent. She is more at risk than the common fighter because she is a leader. I don't think you need to make her into the super fighter pilot. But I didn't think she needed to become a Jedi either, so what do I know. I think she should have had the Jedi skills but not be part of the order. And Luke is acting like a mild version of DE Luke in the comics. :rolleyes:

25. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    There aren't any comic shops where I live either, so I buy online. It's more expensive but they arrive bagged and boarded so it's not a problem.

Is this the new series based on the original Star Wars Script (or something like that)? If it is then it's more what they were like in the beginning and were changed into what we got in the films, and as it never made it into the films it never made it into canon. Kind of like an official AU, I guess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.