main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    mavjade You should have seen Washington DC after 9-11. There was literally Humvees with ground to air missiles positioned around the city, guards with automatic rifles in the subway and Quantico Marine Base where I went for medical care and to use the commissary was on super high alert. I not only had to show my ID at the gate, but before I entered any building. I am fairly certain my purse was searched, but I can't remember for sure. I know my vehicle was searched.

2. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    One day more and then I can get a day off. It can't come soon enough. I had a migraine over the weekend and just when it was getting better today, I got smacked in the head by a falling metal sign so it's back plus it might be a concussion and I won't know until I talk to my regular doctor tomorrow hopefully.

3. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Ouch! Was it a business sign? Or something at your house?

4. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    It was a sign at the mall, and the employees laughed at her.

5. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Yup. Moral of the story is never browse a rack while in a hurry. You will find the sign that was supposed to be attached to the rack cracking down on your head. Or at least that's what I assume happened, since I felt this blinding pain in my head, fell over on my butt clutching my head and looked around to find the sign in pieces on the floor.

6. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    What? Sue 'em! Those employees better have been her friends. If not get their butts fired. If it was me I would be shooting off an angry letter to corporate. My husband did that once. He wrote a really angry letter to the Home Depot corporate office. Unfortunately he mailed it to the Office Depot corporate office by accident. We got a $50 gift certificate from Office Depot?!? I always thought that was funny.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  7. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Ouch, Ish, I hope you get feeling better.

JL, that's funny. Was the actual letter addressed to home depot?

You'd be surprised what you get by complaining, particularly to head offices to big companies. A few weeks ago I bought a bleaching kit, but the instructions must have been a misprint. The French side of the instruction page was for the right thing (I can muddle through reading French) but the English side, of the same piece of paper, was for a completely different thing (a highlight kit or something). So my mother phoned just to give them the heads up (not to complain or anything) and they ended up emailing us the correct instructions in English AND sent us a voucher for a free hair dye of our choice.

8. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    I dragged Ish to the ER. She has a concussion, and a note from the doctor to stay home from work . . . which she has to deliver in person before they'll give her the day off. So I'm taking her out there in the morning. She has forms from the hospital to take to the store and have them fill out, to have them pay for her hospital trip. I agree that a lawyer should be consulted, at the very least.

9. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Show you have to show up to work with a sick note saying you're too sick to go to work? o_O What if you're too sick to do that? I'm not sure they really thought that through properly.

[:D] for Ish. Hope you're ok.

10. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Show up to work with a forged note saying you have TB and the Ebola virus...they will probably change their policy then. And make sure you cough on them.

TrakNar and Dantana Skywalker like this.
  11. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Ha ha ha! Apparently, in thise case it's because there's no one there 'til 6 AM to talk to, and her shift starts at 6, so if she isn't there at 6, she gets in trouble for not calling in . . . when there's no one there. IDK. I took her in, she had to wait 'til the person who can sign off on it gets there, so someone else will be giving her a ride home. My mother and I are planning to take her to the mall later to get the form taken care of. My mom is awesome, but she's also scary when she wants to be. If you need to get something out of someone, she's good to have at your back.

It's a little cooler today. Meaning it's only 70 here this morning, instead of "When did we move to Hell?" That'll probably change later, when the sun is properly up.

12. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Talking of sick notes and being ill, I'm am now sick with something. Probably just a cold or something. I'm just going to walk the dog, get some lemons, honey, and soup. Then I'm going to curl up in bed.

Good luck with the forms. :)

13. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Get feeling better! Being sick isn't fun. Me, I'm going to take a nap.

14. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    There seems to be something going around. I'm in bed with the flu right now, have been since Monday. It sucks, because I'm supposed to be going up to Dublin tomorrow... really really trying to get better in time.

I hope you feel better soon, moosemousse! And you as well, DarthIshtar. Concussions aren't fun, I've had my share of them. Keep your head still and supported, and stay hydrated.

15. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I hope everyone feels better! [:D] And those of you with germs... keep them to yourself! ;) (I say as I have a patient with a highly contagious intestinal bacteria. Though, I figure I've been exposed to it so many times, I'm probably immune. :p)

I'm sure it was insanity! While I doubt it will be that crazy, I wouldn't be surprised to see teams with automatic weapons around here tomorrow (since 4th of July was their original plan), they were certainly around for a while after the bombing.

16. EmeraldJediFire

EmeraldJediFire Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2012
    I know we talked about Crucible...but does anyone have an interest in reading Kenobi. It comes out in August.

17. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    I'm reading it now. It's really good.

18. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    How did you get ahold of a copy?

I was interested in reading it because it dealt with Kenobi's early life on Tatooine..

19. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I only got part of the day off from work, but Dana and her mother were there as my witnesses when I went to talk to the manager in person. I tried doing a written statement in my own hand, but I've got really bad tremors and it was taking a long time to write each letter, so Dana finished writing it for me. Now I'm home with food I don't have to do much to prepare and have contacted a personal injury lawyer in case I get fought on having the store pay my ER bill.

20. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    Only half a day? Seriously?

21. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    You have a concussion and tremors and your employer gave you a partial day off from work?!?! What job do you do that makes you so indispensable? Are you the person who is preventing the zombie apocalypse from happening? I can't believe how crappy civilian work conditions are nowadays. :rolleyes:

I hope you feel better soon. The store better pay for your injury. I hope they do the right thing!

I am sore. My feet are burning and I have blisters. My boys and I were asked to represent the Boy Scouts at a local festival. We had a 4 hour shift where we emptied the trash and recycle bins at the fair. It was hot and hard work, but we went to the carnival afterwards and the boys had fun.

Iverna likes this.
  22. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004

Electronic advanced review copy on NetGalley. We review the books on our podcast/blog.

23. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    You are so lucky!

Sent from my LG-C800 using Tapatalk 2

24. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001

The client has very specific requirements on days before holidays, so they had to give me time off according to what is available for Unpaid Time Off or Voluntary Go Home. That meant getting off at 11:30 instead of at 6. And at least I know they tried--I went to scheduling, who referred me to a manager, who referred me to the Operations Manager, who tried to get an exception.

25. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Ooh, I get print ARCs from Strange Chemistry! Some of the best books I've read have come from them. Which reminds me, I need to finish some of the reviews. :oops:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.