main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I went looking for Colours wheelchairs and found this:
    [​IMG]

Bri, I am excited for you in advance for when you inevitably upgrade to this.

Juliet316 and mavjade like this.
  2. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Personally, I don't care if someone, even a total stranger, says "Hey, nice wheels" or "I really like your wheelchair" because I've been in one so long that I have accepted my disability. However someone new to a wheelchair might still feel self-conscious. I think complements are better than just staring. As a general rule, if the wheelchair looks cool, then the person in it will probably be fine with it.

But never tell a person in a wheelchair to "Slow down or you'll get a speeding ticket." It's old, you are NOT being funny, it's just annoying. /rant

A Chorus of Disapproval lol. Every time I complain about wheeling in the snow, my friend sends me that picture and asks me when am I going to get that one. I have to admit, it would be pretty handy in the winter time.

mavjade, it was totally a heist and they're just covering it up :p

3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    That thing needs some side mountain machine guns. You would be fierce. Well... fiercer...

4. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I saw that on the local news yesterday in a piece on disabled veterens. That does look cool.

5. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    So, went to dinner with my family last night for my birthday (which is tomorrow, but last night was more convenient). We got to discussing the difference between McDonald's in the US and in Ireland, and I said that the beef tastes different in Ireland because it hasn't been growth-hormoned to death. My brother started going on about how wrong I was, and eventually insisted that he knows more about Irish food and how it tastes than I do. I was like, ". . . Which of us, exactly, has been to Ireland and eaten there? Here's a clue: NOT YOU!"

6. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    I live in Ireland. As well as the US. There is a massive difference between the quality of meat. Tell him I said so. Just don't tell him that I am a vegetarian.

Seriously, though, I do know that there is quite a distance between the 2, not simply in terms of livestock treatment (growth hormones, etc.) but also in terms of codes regarding timeframes for freshness. I haven't been an herbivore my entire life. McDonald's In Eire is a mad thing. The McDonald's on Grafton Street in Dublin was Korean owned and operated. In Dublin. Ireland. [face_dunno]

7. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I have probably ate at McDonalds in a dozen countries...and they do taste different, but always good. When I was in Panama my friend thought the shakes were made from goat milk...so I guess they didn't like that. It was weird in Europe seeing people put mayonnaise on their french fries. Also, they charge you for catsup packets in Germany, which always irritated the Americans. lol! I can't remember if they would put ice in the sodas. I think they did. In regular German restaurants they had a habit of serving drinks warm. And then when I tried to say I wanted ice they would bring me ice cream. I never got the hang of German.

8. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    In Rome, you can get a bottle of wine at one McDonald's

9. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    You can buy beer at McDonalds in Germany. lol! I heard in India the hamburgers are vegan.

10. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    Veggie burgers can be good, I eat the morningstar with Chipotle.

11. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    My brother is just one of those people who ALWAYS needs to be right, to the point where he will start screaming at you. Granted, he has brain damage. But sometimes, I want to grab hold of his cowlick and rip it off his head.

12. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    The McD's hamburgers in India are actually made of lamb, or so I'm told.

They don't have McD's in Cuba. But the burgers at the restaurants are so salty, it's weird. I mostly stuck to the fish there.

13. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    My husband is sometimes like that. I just say, "Okay, you're right." Especially when it is stupid stuff like, "That actor was in so-and-so movie." And I know who he is thinking of...but I also know he's wrong. I may say, "Oh, okay. I thought that was Anthony Hopkins, but that could be Alec Guiness as Hannibal the Cannibal" (okay he probably didn't do anything that blatantly wrong, but he gets close).

14. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    Who remembers this ad, I was three, but I still have the glasses

15. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    JL, my grandfather is the same way. He is so stubborn and he thinks he's right ALL the time, so there are times when you just make him think he's right just so you don't have to argue with him :rolleyes:

Can I make (most of) you guys feel really old? I hardly remember TMP coming out: I was 6 at the time. I love telling people older than me that I was born 2 weeks after the first Jurassic Park came out. It usually makes people feel really OLD. So, no, I don't remember those commercials.

16. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    I ate at that one! Also the one on O'Connell Street.

I tried to explain that there's a taste difference between cows fed on grass and ones fed on corn, and that the patties in Ireland aren't ground quite so much into beef-paste, but he refused to believe me. I think he'd refuse to believe me even if I dragged him across the Atlantic, sat him down on Grafton Street, and made him eat one.

The chicken at TGI Friday's on Grafton St was the same, though. No taste difference to me.

It's my birthday! I have awesome friends. And I ended up with an unintentional Star Trek/Ben Cumberbatch theme to my presents. I got the "Into Darkness" soundtrack, Starfleet logo earrings, an "Into Darkness" tee with John Harrison on it, and the Sherlock edition of Cluedo.

17. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!![face_party]

18. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Happy Birthday, Dantana Skywalker! Hope you had a great day! [face_party]

And yes, diet does affect flavour. I'm a vegetarian and even I know that! It might also have something to do with all the vampire stuff I watch/read/etc, but I figure blood is blood so it must apply to animals as well, right?

19. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Thanks! My birthday is actually today, the 7th. As it's Sunday, though, my party was Saturday.

My brother's just . . . he gets an idea into his head and it fixes there, and no one can convince him he's wrong if he is. He's always been like that to a degree, but it's getting worse.

20. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    The majority of my RL friends are older than me, and when they ask if I remember something I'll often say no because I'm too young which of course makes them mad. But they get their revenge when we are talking about movies or music from when I was young seeing as how things I loved they were old enough to realise those things were actually terrible. We were talking obout Kevin Costner the other day and I said I actually liked Waterworld and they gave me crap for it, but when I said I was 13 when it came out it kinda gave me an excuse. :p

Happy Birthday, Dantana!

21. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    Happy Birthday, Dantana!

In Germany, if you want ice cubes, you need to say you want "Eiswürfel" because just "Eis" means ice cream. And yeah, ice cubes are really rare there, so most places will look at you strange if you ask for them. Actually, I'm in Romania right now and it's the same way -- no ice (cubes). In Europe, ice just isn't a thing.

And yeah, the paying for ketchup packets at fast food places gets people, but now places in the US are limiting the amount, so it's not that much different. If you buy something like chicken mcnuggets, they usually do give you at least one sauce . And hey, if you go to a sit-down place, they ought to have sauces for you included, unlike in Romania.

Anyways, hi everyone! I haven't been back here in, man, six years? But I was bored today and was reading a SW fic on FFN and sort of got wondering about this place again... Nice to see some old faces around, and some new ones. And wow, new look.

22. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    mavjade: I really like Waterworld. It's not a great film but that doesn't stop me liking or enjoying it. Anyone who makes fun of or has a go at anyone else for liking something just needs to grow up. :rolleyes:

Alethia: we have ice in the UK. I've always thought it was weird to buy ice though. I mean, if I want ice I just freeze some water. I could buy a bag of ice but it'd melt on the way home and I'd just have a bag of water.

23. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    My step-mother bought ice for a party, but the reason she did was because 1) she didn't have enough to fill the cooler, and 2) the ice their fridge makes has ants in it or moss or in any case it's quite disgusting, so not really drinkable. So yeah, I think it only makes sense to buy ice if you need a ton of it, or don't have a freezer, in which case you better use it all up quickly.

I guess it's mainland Europe, then? It's not that drinks are served room temperature or anything - they're chilled -- but it's just no extra ice. But honestly, I don't have a problem with it, since so many places give you half a cup of ice, which just takes away from the amount of drink you initially get (particularly annoying in a place without refills) and once it melts, it dilutes your drink too.

24. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I haven't seen it since it came out, so I don't know if I would like it now or not... my tastes have certainly changed since I was 13. :p While I completely agree that most people need to grow up with stuff like that, my roommates who were 'making fun of me' weren't being mean... we rib on each other all the time and they knew I didn't take offense.

I can usually take or leave ice, I don't mind drinks with or without it, but right now it's pretty much a must have... This heat wave is killing me! It's pretty sad when I get to the point that I look forward to going to work just so I can be in an air conditioned building for 12 hours! Though I work in a burn unit and it's pretty hot in there... but not as bad as it is in my house at the moment!

Hi Alethia! Welcome back! :)

25. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Happy birthday

By the way we have kroket-burgers and Satee-burgers at McDonalds here in the Netherlands

This is a kroket

[​IMG]

bellum stellarum likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.