Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    I'm so ready for it to be Sunday, but I have to work tomorrow and Saturday.
  2. TrakNar Force Ghost

star 5
    I didn't feel like cooking tonight, so I ordered a pizza. As for the weekend... no plans whatsoever. Well, aside from getting some work done. I just hope this nagging pain in my left flank goes away.
  3. moosemousse CR - FF:UK South

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    My plans for the weekend will include Animal Crossing on the 3DS. There's something about it that I really love and can just spend hours playing without really doing anything.

I am really tired though. I have my sis-in-law and nephew over for a few days. I love them and all, but there's just so much noise and it's very draining. As much as I want my own kids, I don't think I could cope. My brother recently told me of an island in the Shetlands for sale, only £70k too! Time to save, methinks.
  4. EmeraldJediFire Force Ghost

star 4
    Not sure what I'll be doing. Most likely writing fan fiction. I really need to get on the ball with that.
  5. moosemousse CR - FF:UK South

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    I have suddenly been informed that I have new plans for the weekend! I have to clear out everything in my room. This is because we had a leak in the kitchen and they're going to replace the whole run of pipes, and they go under my floor. I have no idea where any of my stuff is going to go, but there's a lot of it. :_|
  6. EmeraldJediFire Force Ghost

star 4
  7. Master Elaine Nega Jedi Master

star 1
    Guys, I can' t decide if I should play Mass Effect. From what I saw in the videos the game looks awesome, I' m also interested in an RPG/ shooter gameplay, and I like the idea of making your own character. However, one thing still stops me from downloading it: the rating. It' s rated M( 17+) . I' m currently sixteen, only one year from reaching the appropriate age. It says rated for violence, langage, and partial nudity, but I' ve seen enough of this( especially in our time, when children are not sweet and innocent beings like many people think) . Besides, many people say it should' ve been rated T, because there really is little blood and gore( something on the level of the Force Unleashed) , there is little language, and the sex scene comes only if you romance someone( I' m not going to do this, since I' m already have a crush on a character from another universe) . I don' t know what to do. Should I download?
    Last edited by Master Elaine Nega, Jul 11, 2013
  8. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 8
    Especially now that our dear Congress has lived up to the name of the 'do nothing Congress' by allowing Student Loan rates to double without doing a damn thing about it essentially.
  9. moosemousse CR - FF:UK South

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    @EmeraldJediFire: it's either that or we keep getting leaks. The section of pipe has sprung a leak before and it's likely to do it again.

It's one of my favourite games. If you buy the Game of the Year version it'll include an extra mission, which is rather good. As for the rating, it's a 12 in the UK, with Mass Effect 2 and 3 being 15. And yes, you're right about the nudity. You only see it if you pursue the romance option and you don't actually see anything.

If you want to discuss Mass Effect, there's the Games forum (http://boards.theforce.net/forums/games.10005/) which does all sorts of games, and there's a Mass Effect thread there: http://boards.theforce.net/threads/mass-effect-series-new-game-announced.50003566/

There are spoilers in that thread, but it's good if you have questions. If you do get it, you should look for a list of planets as there are lots. Every time you visit a planet you should tick it off. That way you won't miss anything.

@Julie316: what happens if you don't pay the loan? I'm curious as I live in the UK and we only have to pay once we earn enough, and it's wiped when we reach 50 (I think).
    Last edited by moosemousse, Jul 11, 2013
  10. Jedi_Lover Chosen One

star 5

The IRS hires mercenaries to hunt you down like a rabid dog. Seriously, you can declare bankruptcy and get a clean slate for most loans, but not student loans (there are a few exceptions for extreme hardship). Students are smart and decades ago they figured, "I have no credit yet...if I declare bankruptcy it will ruin my non-existant credit for the next seven years...but I will get rid of $50K of debt! This is a no brainer."

So the government changed the rules and now a student loan will follow you to the grave. If you default the government can garnish your wages. I've read about student loans taken in the '70s and were in default were now being paid by the garnishing of the now elderly former student's social security benefits.

Fortunately once you die the government forgives your student debt. Civilian student loans may not be forgiven if there is a living co-signer. It depends on the bank. I read a story about a father who co-signed on his son's student loan. The boy was in a car accident and died and the bank demanded the father to repay his son's $50K student loan. After making years of payments the father--who had to come out of retirement to pay the loan--succeeded to get the bank to forgive the loan...after a media firestorm and online petition embarrassed the bank.

A friend of mine is a school teacher and her husband is a teacher. She recently put her house up for sale. I asked her why? She said she had exhausted all her delays to pay her student loan and her husband's student loan and now they are coming due. She can't afford the payments for two student loans, a mortgage and car loans. So they are moving in with her parents. These are two employed people who are getting squashed by the student loans and now that they doubled the interest rate they are pretty much screwed.

I have been saving money for 15 years to pay for my sons' college. My husband and I were lucky to get full ride college scholarships for our undergraduate and graduate degrees...so I figure the money I would have spent on my education I should save for my sons do they don't have $100K of debt when they graduate.
    Last edited by Jedi_Lover, Jul 11, 2013
  11. LexiLupin Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Can I just say how awesome I think that , and the attitude you've taken towards it, is?

Obviously college is expensive, and not everyone is going to be in a position to contribute much or even anything towards putting their kids through it. But it drives me nuts when I see people who could help out but don't plan to because no one helped them, or it should be the kid's responsibility, or whatever.
    Somehow, I got into a conversation about college with the wife of an old CO of my husband's. They had an 8 yr old daughter at the time. She told me that her husband planned that the girl would either go to West Point, or enlist and then get college paid for that way afterward, since that's how he managed it. Meanwhile, he's off buying his midlife crisis sports car.

I'm not sure what happens if she has zero interest in being in the military... It just seemed like a bad plan.
    Iverna likes this.
  12. LexiLupin Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Andplusalso- you never know, your boys could end up with scholarships and leave you and your husband a go-wild fund. :p
  13. mavjade It's so FLUFFY Fanfic & New Movies Manager

Manager
    star 6
    IIRC, I cried at that one as well. I'm not as bad as I used to be... I didn't cry watching Les Mis until the last minute and a half. ;)
    What's funny (though I guess not "ha ha" funny) is that part of my job is to remove people from a ventilator (aka "pull the plug") to allow them to die, sometimes people I've gotten to know. I don't cry when I do that, though there have been a few times when it was certainly hard not to. I guess all my emotions build up and release when I watch a movie or TV.

That's awesome of you! My parents started saving for each of me and my siblings when we were born so we didn't have to have student loans; I'm thankful for that pretty much constantly. I'm on my own for gradschool... especially since I changed my major my senior year of undergrad. [face_blush]
  14. Jedi_Lover Chosen One

star 5
    Yeah, like it's easy to get into West Point. You usually need great SAT and/or ACT scores, be physically fit, have great HS grades, show student leadership in HS, get letter of recommendations and then get your congressman or senator to nominate you. Usually only 10% of those who apply get in. So unless the kid is recruited for a sport she better start hitting those books.
  15. Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Yeah, that is one thing I'm eternally thankful for... my parents felt the education for both me and my sister was the most important thing. They felt hypocritical spending money on themselves and saddling us with the student debt. It was the most wonderful gift--that with my scholarships, graduating early, and their help, I graduated with no debt. I was able to pay for my graduate education on my own thanks to my own income and a tuition reimbursement program from work. That lack of debt has been absolutely vital to us, as my husband had to incur a great deal of debt for his doctorate, and I shudder to think what things would have been like had I also had brought student debt to our marriage.
  16. Briannakin Grand Moff Darth Fanfic Manager

Manager
    star 5
    Lol. That is going to be me. I'm going into my 3rd year and I've already changed my major 3 times. I'll probably randomly decide that I want to be a physicist my last year of undergrad.

I feel horrible for anyone that does have student loans. It does follow you to the grave.
    Last edited by Briannakin, Jul 11, 2013
  17. Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I always paid for my own school. I think my mom chipped in for books once, but that was because my student aid was late coming in and I needed the books before the money came.
  18. ardavenport Force Ghost

star 4
    I like Luna was able to able to get some scholarships, graduated early and had my parents to pay for most of college. Their parents at least partially paid for theirs, so they passed it on. I paid for grad school with a teaching assistantship, so I got out of school with no debt. But that was 30 years ago. Times are different now.
  19. Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Sitting here all day, wondering why I haven't had any responses to my new story chapter, and then I realise . . .

I never posted it.

*facepalm*
  20. Jedi_Lover Chosen One

star 5
    Those precognitive psychic lurkers should have said something though. :mad:
    Juliet316 likes this.
  21. Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Granted, I'd taken a fioricet, which is a step down from a percocet, but . . .
  22. Briannakin Grand Moff Darth Fanfic Manager

Manager
    star 5
    Lol. I've done that (that is, thought I posted a chapter and didn't). I meant to post a chapter today, but I was gone all day and now it's 10:30 and I kinda don't feel like turning my laptop on. But on the other hand, it's still 90 minutes - 2 hours before I go to bed, so I might.

I have 2 weddings coming up in the next 4 months, so I'd decided to splurge and buy a dress, because it was either that, or wear my bright orange grad dress, and my cousin who is getting married forbade me from wearing a pant suit because - and I quote - "IF I GOTTA WEAR A DRESS THEN SO DO YOU!". I got a really classic one shoulder little black dress, so I'll probably get a lot of use out of it. It's kinda skanky but I have the legs to pull it off. I'm totally wearing red converse with it though - my feet are too big for anything else.
    Last edited by Briannakin, Jul 11, 2013
  23. EmeraldJediFire Force Ghost

star 4
    I did that too..only I didn't realize till an month later when I was about to post the next chapter.. so I was like well, I guess the people on FF.N will have two chapters.
  24. TrakNar Force Ghost

star 5
    I've done that, too. Except it was an art post. So, I ended up posting an art dump, instead.

As for dresses, I only own one. A black short-sleeve dress that feels like a t-shirt, so it's zero maintenance. Just throw it in with my shirts! I had to get it for a wedding. It goes down to about mid-thigh, which for a fall wedding, my mom commented that it was "too short."
  25. EmeraldJediFire Force Ghost

star 4

I think maybe your cousin is missing the point of a wedding dress...if that was her logic
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.