main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I've heard good things about Kenobi from people who are lucky enough to get advance copies. I'll definitely get to it at some point.

I just had a vacation in June and I already need another one in the worst way! I am going to San Diego at the end of this month, but I'm not actually taking any time off work, just worked my schedule so that I have a long weekend. The thing about my job is that we actually get a pretty large amount of paid time off, but we just can't hardly ever use it. Everyone gets one week off between the months of May and the end of August, (chosen by senority) then we aren't allowed to take any betweeen Thanksgiving and Christmas. We also have to put in for it at least 8 weeks in advanced. Getting more than a week at a time is pretty impossible too.
    I currently have 15 days worth of time off, which equals 5 weeks, since I work my entire work week in 3 days... I just can't do anything with it. :(

2. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Hi mav! I just started listening to Dawn of the Jedi: Into the Void. I'm not far enough in to make a decision on it, but the ancient Jeedai concept is interesting.

3. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    mavjade have fun in San Diego. That is where I grew up. I loved it there. I used to go to Coronado Beach (it was more of a family beach) to swim and have fires on the beach and get hit on by Navy Seals and Marines...who promptly left when my friends and I told them we were 16. lol! I loved going to Old Town for burritos. I had family there until my dad died three years ago. It is American's Finest City!

I am reading Star Wars Red Harvest and I am really enjoying it. There were a couple times that I was pulled out of the story by a pet peeve (one of the Jedi said a little speech that was almost exactly like a line from a popular movie), but overall it is good. For a book with all OC's it is holding my interest. Of course it is another Star Wars horror novel and I am a sucker for horror novels. I am a Stephen King fan.

4. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Is that a novel? I'm reading and loving the comic series, so if there are books set in that era I'd love to get those too.

5. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    I usually don't read the EU, but I might have to pick up that book.

I so wanted to go to Comic Con this weekend, but alas, I cannot. I used to go to San Diego fairly often as a kid (it's only like a 90-120 min drive), but it's been awhile since I went. I always did like it, though.

mav, that really sucks about your job. Do you ever lose the vacation after a certain point of time, or does it just add up? It seems kind of pointless to give people the time off, but not let them use it...

6. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Have fun in San Diego, mavjade! My husband and I love it there. If you have a chance, and if you like seafood, you have to go to The Fish Market restaurant. It's on Harbor Dr. between the USS Midway museum ship (also something cool to see) and Seaport Village.

7. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I went to the kayak shop today and told the clerk he sold me a defective kayak. It kept flipping me over and filling with water. Lol! The poor guy thought I was serious even though I was smirking. I told him I was just joking, I'm just untalented when it comes to a kayak. I told him I need a flat kayak that can't fill with water. So now I have a flat kayak. I'll probably flip that over. :( My boys can use the evil, flippy kayak (although they don't seem to have a problem with it).

EDIT: The flat kayak works great. I didn't flip it! Woot!

Here is a photo of it. It's nice.
    [​IMG]

mavjade likes this.
  8. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I spent the day with my mother and stepnephew. We played piano and went to lunch and a museum. Then I came home to our still-non-functioning AC and am waiting to go out again for church visits.

9. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I think your landlord is trying to do a Jedi Mind Trick on you.

Darthishtar: My air conditioner isn't working.
    Landlord [waves hand]: You air conditioning is working. Go back home and eat ice cream.

10. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I called him again and he came out within the hour.

11. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I'm super excited about San Diego! I've never really been out of the Eastern Time Zone (I was in the Pacific time zone for a day or two, but that's only an hour difference) so this will be my first experience with jet lag, as minor as it may be with only 3 hour difference. I'm only going to be there a few days, I get there Thursday afternoon and leave on a red eye Sunday night. (Also my first experience with a red eye! 8-} )
    I really wish I was going this weekend so I could go to Comic Con...my facebook and Twitter are going nuts with it already and it makes me sad, I really want to go!

We do start losing it after we accrue so many hours, but I think it's something like 450 hours so I'm still a little ways off from that. I refuse to lose any! It is kinda pointless and they totally don't care which is the worst thing. They tell us we should take days because we have a stressful job but then they won't give it to us.

12. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I went to San Diego last year for a weekend and loved it. The beaches were deserted in October and I loved the older part of the city, plus the show I went to (Allegiance) was awesome.

13. JediMaster_Jen

Jun 3, 2002
    There are so many awesome places in San Diego. There's an area called Balboa Park where there are museums, the world famous San Diego Zoo and the most amazing little outdoor theatre. You'll have a great time.

14. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Oh yeah, mavjade, you have to go to Balboa Park, museums and the Zoo. There is also Sea World and nearby is Tijuana 'The Happiest Place on Earth' (according to Crusty the Clown).

I remember going to Balboa Park late one night with my friends. My best friend climbed up onto the towering statue of El Cid (big horse with rider statue). And then we saw the cops so he jumped off the horse and into some bushes. That statue is over 30 feet high. He scared the hell out of me, but he somehow didn't get hurt. I loved growing up in San Diego.

15. JediMaster_Jen

Jun 3, 2002
    Maybe catch a Padres games if you like baseball. The possibilities are endless. :D

16. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I love Balboa Park. If I weren't getting married someday in a temple, I would get married at their rose garden.

17. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Jedi_Lover: I love the kayak! Can you store much on the back or is it mostly for show?

I want my bedroom saga to be over. My laptop is breaking and I can't afford a new. :(

18. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    moosemousse. The cargo area looks big enough to put in my kid's fully packed school backpack under the bungie cords. It would be enough for a day bag, but not for a full metal frame backpack. And it would need to be in a waterproof bag. I don't have plans on taking it out of my lake, though. I am not much into outdoors stuff. I got enough of that in the Army.

19. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    That's a cool kayak! It looks like you'll have a lot of fun with it.

Balboa Park is lovely, if I remember right. Been probably a decade and a half (at least!) since I've been there, though.

I'm pretty sure I just bombed a quiz, which I hate doing. I really like my teacher, and really love the subject (I wouldn't be spending six weeks of my summer and thousands of dollars otherwise!), and I feel like I let him down. I mean, I know that he told us that he just wants to see improvement, and that the material is challenging (and vast!) and I've only been doing this for not quite three weeks, and I'm not even getting credit, but still. I really hate doing badly. On the other hand, it's pretty impossible to cram for these quizzes, so I'm not sure how much studying would really help right now...

20. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    You guys are giving me more to do than I'll have time to do... guess I'll just have to go back! :D
    I'm actually meeting up with a few JC'ers so who knows what we'll get into but it'll be fun!

I understand how that feels Alethia. Even when I'm taking something just for fun, I still do my best and it still matters to me... maybe even more if I'm doing it just because I want to and not because I have to. Not that I've had the opportunity to do so recently. :(

21. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    The important thing is to enjoy your vacation.

mavjade likes this.
  22. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Yes, enjoy your vacation, unlike me. I do NOT want to be here (in the middle of bum no where) anymore. I'm tired of the small talk with all my great uncles (as wonderful men as they are). And I may actually kill my grandmother. The woman was mean when my grandfather was around, but now there is no one to stick up for me. A train goes by ever hour, even at night, so I've gotten no sleep, besides the fact that my sister kicked me out of bed and now I'm sleeping on a love-seat. I am probably racking up my data right now, but I DON'T CARE. What's even more miserable is that my muse is back but I have nothing to write with :( Tomorrow is the funeral and I am glad we are leaving first thing Sunday.

23. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Funerals are always draining. I just went to one last weekend. Of course it is an Irish funeral so it lasted all day and involved a lot of alcohol. I wasn't going to spend 12 hours at a dead man's party. I showed up with the kids for an hour and then left.

24. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    I hope you have a safe trip home, on a lighter note
    the Hollywood reporter is reporting thtat Disney, is working on a Star Wars Crossover for the Disney channel with this show.

25. EmeraldJediFire

EmeraldJediFire Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2012
    What do you guys think of this picture?

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.