main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EmeraldJediFire

EmeraldJediFire Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2012
    You're a sadist perhaps?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

2. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    I had to explain to someone the other day what torrents were. It was...not easy.

Mav, that's great! I hope you get the position. DMAT sounds like a fantastic opportunity. How exactly does it work? I know the federal hiring process takes forever, but once you get accepted, is this a full-time position or something you just get called up for? What made you decide to do it?

3. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    mavjade: that's great news! I hope there's more good news with that. :)

As for torrents? All you really need to know is that it's a way of downloading things. It's really that simple. Contrary to what most people think, using torrents isn't illegal and there are many legal uses for the technology.

4. Alethia

Feb 13, 2005
    The problem is people wanting to know just how they work. I mean, essentially, someone has an entire file (seeder) and they send out pieces to people, who then in turn send out pieces of what they have received (leeching), and the more seeders the better, which is the opposite of P2P programs like Limewire or eMule or whatever. But, I don't know, for some reason people can't seem to wrap their heads around the whole "more seeds is better" thing and want to know just how they can send out pieces of a file and then things start to get complicated and technical, and it can get a bit overwhelming, I guess.

I've used torrents to share files among friends, such as videos we had made or complicated projects. A friend had an unreliable internet connection, and while direct downloading from a place like Mediafire kept on getting disrupted, using torrents allowed her to download it without issues, because if her connection went out, it didn't mean she had to start all over.

I am exhausted. I just spent two hours piecing together perinatal ribs and siding vertebrae and seriously, you wouldn't think sitting at a lab table for two hours is that bad, but this is such meticulous work. Love it, but definitely mentally exhausting. I need to go catch up on the Clone Wars series to wind-down.

5. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Ah, yeah, that. I'd probably explain it like it's a giant picture or something. You have a huge picture and it's too big to be photocopied in one go, so it has to be done in sections. As you can only photocopy one section at a time, it's better to have more people photocopying so you can receive more sections at once. With one person you get one section, with ten people you get ten sections, and so on. Once you get the sections, your computer sorts them out and puts them together and you get the same picture looking exactly like the original.

That's a great use of torrents. I know Ubuntu, a version of linux, uses it to distribute the CD images as it reduces the bandwidth requirements for the company while providing a fast and reliable service. Humble Bundle also offer it as a way to download the games you buy through them, which is great as it means they can pass more money onto the developers and charities.

6. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Okay...your explanation about torrents was confusing enough but this really perplexed me:
    Is that you, Dr. Temperance Brennan? ( I would have said Dr. Quincy, M.E., but most of you probably wouldn't get that reference...although it was my one of my favorite TV shows as a kid).

7. Alethia

Feb 13, 2005
    Hah, well, I'm in bioarchaeology, which is sort of like forensic anthropology of the past and minus the legal stuff. My instructor loves to throw around the word "skeletal biologist", but physical/biological anthropology is the main field, and forensics is one application, just as bioarchaeology is. And Quincy was a pathologist, btw. *grins* So Temperance Brennan is more correct. In this case, I'm working on cataloging and aging Medieval Romanian perinatal skeleons that were found in a church when it flooded about six years ago. It's lots of fun, but these bones are teeny-tiny, and it's so delicate that an errant burst of wind would basically destroy my entire afternoon's work so let's really hope that doesn't happen.

I do happen to love the show and the books, though, even if the majority of stuff isn't truthful (on the shows, she even lays out the skeleton wrong sometimes). There's a great blog, Powered by Osteons, by a real bioarchaeologist who goes through each episode and explains what she did right and wrong. It's a great read.

moose, I really like that photocopying explanation. I think I'll have to borrow it next time I try to explain torrents to someone.

8. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Scale modeling can be exhausting work as well, particularly if you choose to work with aftermarket upgrades such as photo-etched and resin parts. And don't get me started on detail painting things like cockpit instrument panels on aircraft...

9. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    You guys are smart. I found an icon on my computer called uTorrent. So I guess that solves the mystery of how the hell does he take up 500 GB on my laptop.

10. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    Did you find out what he downloads?

if you're not careful, you could get a computer virus, or malware?

11. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I have to ask him. I do have virus protection, but I don't know how good it is. So far I haven't had any computer viruses. Although I probably picked up something today by clicking onto Anthony Weiner's crotch shots. :p

12. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    LOL, i'm having fun reading the rumors about Ryan Gosling trying out for Luke's son in the new movies, Weiner's wife is still standing by him,

this is twice, think she'll stand by him for a third time?

13. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I use uTorrent and as long as the site he is downloading from is okay, you should be good.

So, my small home-city is making international headlines because of what Will and Kate decided to name their kid. Yup, I hail from Prince George. I kid you not. The jokes going around town are hilarious.

14. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    I am just glad not to be in England right now with all of the craziness. I was born and raised there until I was sixteen and I miss it every now and then. But not now.

15. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I'm going to London in a month. It might be interesting if anyone notices the address on my luggage. Hopefully the craziness will have died down.

16. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Briannakin: When will you be in London? I'll be in London on the 10th, if you're not busy and want to say hi.

17. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I arrive in London the 15th, but I'm all over that general area really. Unfortunately, I'll be quite busy and I'm there for less than a week.

EDIT: Anyways. I've noticed since coming back from not so fun real life events, I've been dead tired, like going to bed at like 10:30 tired. I've managed to stay up till 12:30 tonight, but normally I don't go to bed till around 2 am. It was only an hour time difference too. Dealing with my grandmother zapped everything out of me. She tends to do that to people.

18. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012

I can't say for sure if I like the idea of Gosling possibly rumored as Ben (Cause I can't see them picking another name), but he was in gangster squad and I don't think I remember him doing a bad job then.

19. Alethia

Feb 13, 2005
    I don't know if naming him Ben is the best idea, though. People are going to expect it to follow the EU then, and iirc, aren't they going to verge away from the EU?

There are two Australians in my program and the rest of us are US students, and they do not get the whole US obsession with the Royal Family. To be honest, I don't get it that much either, but it has been a big topic for us. I didn't know they had decided on a name, though. Actually, I thought I heard/read a few days ago that once the new King/Queen takes the throne, they can change their name and people were suggesting that Charles was likely to take George as his name after his father, instead of associating himself with King Charles I? Then again, I don't know what the issue was with King Charles, so...

Most torrents are safe. Basically, you have to use common sense and read the comments. But yeah, you might want to ask your kid about it, Jedi_Lover.

Goodwood, I imagine all detail work is quite exhausting. I don't know why I didn't expect this work to be, but it definitely is. Fun, but draining, and then I get to go home and study... Oh well, this is what grad school is likely to be like, so best that I get used to it now, since I'm likely to spend the next ten years at least doing this.

20. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    I'm just saying its a name that makes the most sense. It made sense to the EU authors so why not Abrams and his crew. It would be interesting though to know what name they would chose instead of Ben....if they are bringing in a Skywalker son to begin with even

Frankly I could accept the name Ben and give him a different back story. Owen might be a good name

21. Ewok_Slayer

Ewok_Slayer Jedi Master star 2

Nov 24, 2004
    Americans are obsessed with anything celebrity from the Royals to Honey Boo Boo.

I do think Princess Diana's popularity worldwide has made us somewhat more interested in her sons. In addition, Americans have a fascination with celebrities who died young and tragically (Marilyn Monroe, James Dean) and also conspiracy theories--Diana's death had both of those aspects. I think much of William's popularity is linked to American's fascination with his mother.

We also have some fixation with celebrity babies. The tabloids will pay millions to print the first photos of celebrity babies.

Therefore I don't find Americans fascinated with the Royals odd at all. It makes more sense than our fascination with the Jody Ares trial or with Anthony Weiner's weiner (or his fascination with tweeting photos of that part of his anatomy).

22. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I was ranting about this on twitter, I don't get the whole US obsession with the Royal Family either. I'm Canadian so it's a little more understandable (though interest might be a better word that obsession to describe here), the kid will one day be technically be ruler of the this country (and England, and the rest of the Comonwelth) (and I say technically because I do know how constitutional monarchy works).

And while a King or Queen can change their name once they become their monarch, Princes can more or less pick what name they want to go by too, typically they choose their first name, but sometimes they choose a middle name. Prince Harry's name is actually Henry. And there was another prince that went by a middle name.

23. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    "Harry the King, Bedford and Exeter, Salsbury and Glouchester, be in his flowing cups freshly remember'd."

DaenaBenjen42 likes this.
  24. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I am so irritated with my husband. I had some people show up at my house saying my husband had said, "I have tons of day lilies come and take as much as you want." So they show up to take my flowers, but they wanted to come to the house to let me know what they were doing. I told them, "My husband says a lot of things that I don't agree with...so no...you can't take my flowers."

Why do I spend so much time planting bulbs and breaking apart bunches of my lilies and replanting all over the yard just so somebody can take my flowers? He is gone at a conference now, but I need to yell at him when he gets back.

I can see if I hate the flowers, but I love my flowers. :mad:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Okay, I have a lot, but does that mean I have to let people take them?

25. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    The saga of my bedroom is nearly over! I have my computer set up now and some new furniture to build, but it's slowly getting back to being my room.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.