main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EmeraldJediFire

EmeraldJediFire Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2012
    Boy do I remember going to the prrquals midnight showings and watching the 20th Century Fox logo come on. It totally got you hyped!

Then when green LFL would flash on the screen, everyone would cheer...

then wait with baited breath for the Star Wars logo to burst on the screen and hear that sweet first opening score.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

2. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Those were the days...

I hope to see the Fox logo and hear the fanfare, because seeing the Disney logo and Bad Robot logo would just be weeeeeeeeeird...

3. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    It's pretty much inevitable that the Disney logo will be there. But I AM NOT COMPLAINING. It's a 7th Star Wars film, something we snarked at the idea up until a year ago (man, has it really been a year or am I just having a stupid moment?).

4. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Hi. Taking a break from witnessing the sky endlessly falling in 7SA to say that probably the neatest hypothesized opening logo concept is to have it be R2 slinking through the grass during the Bad Robot icon.
    [​IMG]

Draconarius and JediMara77 like this.
  5. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    That would be so awesome! I hear JJ puts R2 in all of his movies. Haven't figured out where he is in Star Trek Into Darkness yet.

6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  7. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    My cat likes to be read to... so long as I read in my best baritone. She really enjoys deep, throaty voices.

8. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I'm another one who will be sad without the 20th century Fox fanfare, I too think Star Wars when I hear it.
    Disney has been known to alter their logo for movies. Tron Legacy had a pretty cool one.

I need to find a job where you can leave when it's time to leave. ;) I left tonight (I'm actually still on my way home) almost an hour and a half after I'm 'allowed' to leave. Why can't people get sick/hurt in the middle of the day?? :p

Jade_Pilot and Jedi_Lover like this.
  9. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Lol. It would be sweet if they used that Bad Robot opener.

So, we were subjected to the meanest prank ever in my Histography class. The class is required for all history majors and the prof that normally teaches it is possibly one of meanest, scariest people on the planet, but he's on sabbatical this year (along with 80% of the history department), and the prof they got to replace him is so easygoing and funny. Anyways, so I go into class today and who should be standing there: the prof that normally teaches it. He starts by saying "Look, I know you were expecting Neil to teach this class, but funding was cut, my sabbatical was pulled and now you are back with me. I don't want to be here, you guys don't want me here, too bad, our lives suck." He basically said everything Neil told us we were going to do is out the window, that we had to return our textbooks and buy 8 new ones and that we had to get through the first one by Thursday. He even handed out a syllabus and went through it. He had us going for 15 minutes. My friends and I were about to die when he said "Are you scared yet? Well, don't be because Neil is actually the one teaching you this year." Then our actual prof walks in laughing at our faces (we were pretty pale apparently). The two had apparently run into each other over the weekend and had planned it all. It was one of the greatest pranks ever.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  10. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Briannakin - [face_laugh] As Dark Helmet would say to Princess Vespa, "Fooled you!"

I had a mean prank pulled on me in Basic Training. The Company Commander came into a class we were going to have and somberly announced that a USSR submarine was found in US waters and attacked our Navy and as of 1300 hours the USA was now in a declared war with the USSR.

It turns out it was told to us because they wanted to get our reaction for whatever the class was on...I really don't remember what the class was about...anyway I then knew what was going to go through my head if war was declared. My 17-year-old self thought, "Oh crap, Mom is going to kill me" (because I talked her into signing the papers to let me go into the service while a minor). :p

I didn't think it was very funny.

Well, my iPod touch died today...unless it is normal for it to get so hot that it burns my fingers and starts smelling like smoke. I decided to replace it with a nano so my kid isn't always bugging me to play video games on it. The guy at the store asked me how old my broken one was and I said six years. He says, "wow". So I said, "Why wow? Are they supposed to last a lot longer?" He said, "No, I just never knew anyone who didn't update their iPod every year or so."

I guess young people have a lot of disposable income. o_O

jcgoble3 likes this.
  11. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I angered the gods, somehow. My gut decided to play a prank on me on the way home today.

As for iPods... I have an off-brand music player, and it doesn't hold a charge anymore. Had it for about six years and haven't replaced it.

I'm hoping to have this iPad for a very, very long time.

12. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Bri - That is hilarious! I'm sure it wasn't at the time, but afterward that is awesome he has a good sense of humor!
    I had a Sociology professor that loved to play jokes on us (I'm sure it was some kind of sociological experiment) but he would do crazy stuff just often enough that we would never really know if he was joking or not. It was a fun class.

J_L - Yeah, I don't know that I would have been too happy with that one either. :(

I use my phone as my music player. I do have a first generation Nano but I don't use it very often any more.

13. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    okay: I just checked a review for the challenge fic on FFN
    Needless to say I was astounded.

It was this long;

I love stories in which the reader has to guess at something, and the fact that Mara and Luke are one of my favorite SW characters made this only the more enjoyable.

I thought I was pretty well-versed when it came to fairy-tales but I admit, I was confused. A princess, asleep for many years - there is only Sleeping Beauty (Dornroeschen, in German?), but who was Grizelda? The glass coffin fits Snow White, and then Luke and his fellow knights came into the picture and I kept looking for heroes on a quest... Which didn't really fit with my first impression, as well. So I went through a few other fairy-tales in my head and kept coming back to Sleeping Beauty, but still, Grizelda - until I realized, she would have to be the good fairy. Of couse, she put Mara to sleep instead of letting her die by the evil fairy (here I pictured Darth Vader but the thought was so hilarious I burst out laughing). The Prince (Luke) just needs some companions, I guess, to get through the - oh God, what is it in English? The hedge of thorns? (A Force Barrier?) And then he wakes up Mara with a kiss - or, rather, their minds "touch" (and become one, thanks for establishing the Force link here, too, I love it!).

The best part, in my opinion, is the last scene with the awakening, and the fact that the teenage girl Mara turns into a woman. I love this little fact, it is perfect for the story!

Was I right? After I had matched all your hints to Sleeping Beauty I couldn't think of anything else you might have intended... And the creature? I have no idea. The good fairy, helping in the figure of a beast? Will you tell me what you had in mind?

I liked your choice of Jedi Knights a lot, too. Corran, Kyle and Saba I know (and love dearly, especially the latter). Kirtana I haven't yet heard of but she sounds like an intriguing character.

Hmmm What a wonderful story, both for heart and mind. Thanks for sharing it!

14. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    The graphics card in my computer died, and when it did it took the first new fic I've written in a long time with it! :_| I have a new one on order but I don't know when it'll turn up. :(

That's interesting about R2, I wonder where he is in JJ's other films. [face_thinking]

15. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    So, I tried making some sort of soup in the slow-cooker. That was a disaster. I really need to learn how to cook...

16. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Nice review EmeraldJediFire. I had a review that long before...but it was written by my troll. :( It didn't have the same tone and there were a lot more words starting with the letter "F".

I got my new Nano iPod sync'd. This one has an FM radio also, which is nice. And my kid can't watch youtube with it which is priceless! Ha! No more begging for my iPod.

17. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    I finally figured out how to block my troll on FFN. Has eased my mind a lot and I'm back to writing. My readers seem to have vanished, though . . .

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  18. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    They will come back, to your writing

19. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    Figured that out myself when I had a stupid conversation with one reviewer, he was infuriating me so I was like I really don't feel like dealing with you idiocy anymore...block

20. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    My character did something stupid and nearly died, and this reader thought that dying, being resuscitated, and then being in a coma for four days wasn't enough punishment. They kept posting that there needed to be more suffering on her part. I'm like, "Like what, my killing the baby she's pregnant with? There is nothing else I could do to her at this point other than dismemberment! The rest of my readers would lynch me! Go away!"

21. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    I try not to engage readers in conversation at FF.com. Here (TF.net) we are a community and try to lift each other up in our writing so it just comes naturally that we converse and support everyone.

Sorry to hear about the trolls.

mavjade likes this.
  22. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Most of my readers have been great. I just got this one persistent, nasty one.

23. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Bah, fasting for a blood test. Time to sleep and make it go by quicker!

24. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    We don't tolerate nasty reviews here, so that does create a nicer community. I think that ff.n allows anonymous reviews allows people to be nasty just because they think it's funny and they can do it without any consequence. [face_plain]

So I got fingerprinted and photographed by the US federal government today. I guess that means I'm one step closer to being on the Federal Disaster Medical Assistance Team. :D

25. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    You can delete anonymous reviews over at FFN. It is the reviews from trolls that take the time to make and account and sign in that can't be removed. All you can do then is ignore/ban that person from reviewing in the future. I like it better here, but I do usually get more reviews over at FFN...at least for my M/L stories. My OC stories fair better over here.

Congrats mavjade on getting as step closer to your new government job. Is that a whole new job or just a stepping stone for advancement in your current job?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.