main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005

Thanks! If I get it, I'll become a temporary federal employee, so it will be in addition to my current job, though it will look good on my resume.
    How it works is your state team is on call for certain months (usually 4 months, but not consecutively) and if there is a disaster anywhere in the world (man or nature made) where they need medical help our team will deploy for what is usually a two week assignment. You have to be ready to deploy within an hour when you are on call, meaning I may have to leave my current job in the middle of a shift, but because it's a federal program, my job is protected and I can not be punished.
    The team I'll be on if I get it went to NYC for 9/11 and Sandy, NOLA for Katrina, Haiti, etc... just to give you an idea of what they go to. So I'm only a federal employee for the amount of time we get deployed... no federal benefits.

I'm super excited! I don't want disasters to happen of course, but when they do, I want to be there to help. :)

DaenaBenjen42 likes this.
  2. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    The government would take one look at by background history and deny me on the spot. Thus, I don't think I can get any government jobs like that. Have a psych record.

Congratulations, though. It sounds like a rewarding career. If properly trained, I'd love to be able to do similar.

3. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    mavjade: that sounds like a really exciting job! Do you have a bag packed and ready in case you get called? Also, I'm curious, would you get called before it appears on the news?

I have good news! After fretting and worrying, I got a new graphics card! It's not the latest and the greatest but it's not old. Having just checked wikipedia it seems it came out last year on the 13th of September, which is the date I got mine this year. It's an EVGA GeForce GTX 650. Won't help with writing, but it'll help with Sims 3!

Iverna likes this.
  4. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    It's actually too much graphics power for Sims 3 (though why anyone would want to play that abomination is beyond me, heh heh). I have an EVGA GeForce GTX 570 which was, at time of purchase, just one step down from the best available card. And it handles the most recent releases quite well at 1920x1080 on ultra settings with high FSAA and anisotropic filtering..

5. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Goodwood: I love Sims 3, so hush! :p I can't afford the latest and greatest, which would cost more than the rest of my computer put together, so I got something good. :)

6. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    At least your computer can handle games. I use an off-the-shelf model. I encounter some lag when playing anything on BYOND, but that may simply be server-related.

I've been eying a 3DS as of late. Been drooling over Pokemon XY. Got my sights set on Pokemon X. Mewtwo's Mega Evolution X form is all kinds of badass.

7. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I looked at my laptop and I have 6 GB left out of 600 GB (I think that is what I have...it might be 700 GB). It is all my son's online games. I took your advice and went to get him an exterior hard drive for this games but the geek clerk in the computer section told me working from an exterior hard drive would make the game speed so slow that it would be unplayable. He said it would work if we were talking about a game that came off of a disc, but downloaded games for online gaming are different and must be on the computer hard drive. He said the only option I have is upgrading my computer (No the option is to delete all the games). Anyway, I have absolutely no idea if what he told me is correct. Why would a downloaded game be different from a game that I buy on a disc?

8. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    I'd guess that the reason why it'd be slower is that external harddrives are accessed via USB, and USB speeds can be slow. A game that runs off a disc would be faster because it doesn't depend on the USB connection but the disc drive. But, that said, I'm pretty sure my brother stores most of his games on an external drive because he's run out of space on his PC, and I think it works fine for him. But if yours is an older computer you might - might - run into speed problems.

I asked my brother and he said it works for him, and USB connections are usually pretty fast these days. I think USB 2 and 3 are standard nowadays. But with an older computer, he said what what you could also do is install the games on the laptop, but move all the files to the harddrive, and then your son can move the files of the game he wants to play back to the laptop each time, and back to the harddrive when he's done. That's not ideal either, and it does add an extra step for your son whenever he wants to play, but that'd solve the issue if you run into problems with speed and it'd free up huge amounts of space on your laptop drive because it'd only be one game on there at a time.

9. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Thanks! I think I will get the external hard drive anyway and if it is slow he can just upload the game he is currently playing. Usually he get a game and then doesn't play it again for months. I just use the computer to write and use the internet. I am just worried that at some point it will stop working because he has so much junk on it. I bought the computer two years ago and at the time I thought I would use it for drawing so I did get a powerful laptop. That is why he likes to use my computer and not his desktop. He says the desktop is too slow. I told him I bought it for him to do his homework, so I didn't think I needed to get a fast computer.

Thanks for the information. I really appreciate it.

10. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    I know how it is - I had to delete a bunch of stuff from my PC a while back because it slowed down so much. I do use mine for drawing, so slowness is bad. :D

But yeah, if your laptop is decent and you get a modern harddrive, it really should be fine. And the other option's always there if it does get too slow. But I'd say that if you put most of the stuff on an external drive and free up most of the laptop's space, the laptop will run faster and the overall result for gaming will be the same, if not better.

You're very welcome. Best of luck with it anyway!

11. EmeraldJediFire

EmeraldJediFire Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2012
  12. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    (All of the following I've learned from a nurse I work with who is on the team I'd be on if I get it.) Yep, for the months your team is on call you have to have a bag ready to go at all times. And of course you need to have stuff for all kinds of weather depending on where in the world you end up going and what kind of disaster it is.
    I doubt I'd get called before it appears on the news because the situation has to be at at least some what stabilized before we are sent in so not to cause more casualties. I guess it really just depends on what has happened.
    I guess I'll learn more, though, once I actually make it on the team. *crosses fingers*

13. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I'm going to get a laptop soon, and I can't build those. There are lots of causes of lag problems, and probably the biggest is to do with your internet connection. Go to speedtest.net or somewhere like that and do a speed test. That'll tell you how fast your connection is and what sort of lag you get.

I do love my 3DS XL. I only really play Animal Crossing: New Leaf on it though. I'm hoping Pokemon X and Y will support the screenshot function. In Animal Crossing you can press the two shoulder buttons and take a screenshot, which you can upload to twitter with the internet browser on your 3DS.

14. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Yargh, Nintendo jumped the shark with the Wii...i mean honestly, naming a subpar console after a bodily fluid? Sheesh.

moosemousse: PC home-builders unite!

15. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    The name is goofy, but the system is awesome.

16. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    LOL, are you my sister :p She has a 3DS and all she plays on it is animal crossing.

The Wii's name is pretty dumb, same with Wii U. They were asking for jokes with that one.

It sometimes amazes me how stupid my step-father's mother is. She has this miniature pincher (it's dumb as mud, kinda like her) and EVERY time she comes over, she brings this dog in. The problem is, my sister's beast of a cat HATES dogs (my cat isn't a problem since she just hides). My sister's cat is bigger than this dog so naturally the cat growls and hisses and we kick him out of the house while the dog is here. Anyways the dog was over with her today and the dog got too close to the cat and the cat attacked the dog. The dog isn't hurt, but my step-father's mother is pissed off. I'm like you know this cat is big, mean and cranky, your the one that brought the dog in, so you have no one to blame but yourself.

17. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Cats rule!! @Briannakin--You should take a photo of the pincher and the cat facing off. That would be something to see. I think my youngest cat is part bobcat. He went to get his shots at the vet with our older cat. The older cat is a sleek 7 pounds. The younger cat is 13 pounds. He's not really fat...just big boned. :p He is getting his winter coat in and now he looks as big as the raccoons around here.

18. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Speaking o Wee Wii...
    I like the adverts for this prescription pill called YAZ. Seriously... I prescribe that you allow a doctor to put yaz in your mouth...

19. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    YAZ is used to treat PMDD and it works great.

20. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Wonderful. It's also slang for taking a leak and thus an unfortunate name.

21. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    So the medicine that curbs homicidal urges has been named for wizz. Luckily people with PMDD are cool with that if they are on YAZ.

22. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    The name is the product test.

23. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Lol. My sister's cat is about 15 lbs. he's not fat, just long, tall and muscular. He chases foxes on a regular basis. My cat is only 10 months, but we're pretty sure she's fully grown. I think she's only about 6 or 7 pounds, she has a gut though.

Didn't they change Yaz to Yazmine or something? I know they did in Canada.

24. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Briannakin : Both are made by Bayer, but Yaz has less estradiol than Yasmin.

25. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Oh. I see. I thought they pulled Yaz for some reason, changed the drug a bit and changed it to Yazmine, or the other way around. It's possible they only did that in Canada.

Last night I went out for dinner with some friends. The waitress noticed we all had the same symbol on our necklaces. So she asked us what it meant, probably thinking we were some cool really nerdy club. We were all confused for a moment, then we realized she was talking about our medical alert necklaces (we all have the serpent on a pole symbol thingy). We laughed and explained to her that most of us were deathly allergic to something (yeah, we are stereotypical nerds; medical ailments and everything). Then she asks me "Well, why is yours so much bigger?". I have a huge dog-tags on a chain while all my friends have these little cute pendants that actually look like jewelry. One of my friends goes "That's just Briann. She's not actually allergic to anything, she just has so many ailments that she can drop dead at any moment." The waitress suddenly looked very scared and I wanted to slap my friend. It became a running joke that night about how my friends could use my 'imminent death' to their advantage.

mavjade likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.