main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Jedi_Lover: Which ship was it? I remember visiting the USS Alabama and USS Drum (a submarine, both ships are moored in the same park) when I was thirteen, and the USS Silversides (another WWII fleet boat, this one actually ran though only on the surface) when I was younger than that. Visiting Pearl Harbor and the USS Missouri is up there on my bucket list, as well as touring the USS Intrepid (and its museum) in New York City.

If I had to guess, I'd say you went aboard either the USS Texas or the USS North Carolina. The former was actually built before WWI and, refurbished, served in WWII.

EDIT: Per Dantana Skywalker, at least he didn't try to weasel out of it. Something to be praised, I think, even while you explain to him why surfing pr0n is a bad idea on someone else's computer and/or internet device.

2. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Yeah, you have to give the kid some credit. It was a dumb thing to, but atleast he knows to just fess up when he's blatantly caught. My dumb brothers have tried to get out of things, even if they were caught red-handed.

So I think life and computers just hate me right now. After my horribly awkward dinner (we won't go there), I get home, boot up my new laptop and just after I log on, I get window's 8's blue scene of death. I let it reboot, I log back in, and 10 seconds later BSOD (blue screen of death) AGAIN. This has continued 5 times. I've tried turning it off and turning it back on (I still get the BSOD after logging in) and taking out the battery. Every time I get a different error message. I sort of want to scream and cry. I'm going to try again tomorrow and if I still get the BSOD, I will cry. It downloaded some update last night and I think that's the problem.

Now question is, if I get the BSOD tomorrow, do I take it in and get them to fix it (and downgrade me to windows 7), do I just return the laptop and get a new one (I'm not overly fond of the mousepad on this one). If I do decide just to return it, should I go with a Mac and give the finger to windows. I'm hesitant to go with a Mac because I don't want to learn a completely new operating system right now (not to mention my speech program is for windows and the Mac version sucks... And would take me a month to get in). But with a Mac, I wouldn't have to deal with window's bantha shavit.

3. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    I need to type to finish my book. But holding my head up makes me tired. I got a cervical collar to help, but it pushes all my neck fat up even with my chin. I have to bent my whole torso forward, I can't tip my head down. You ever try to type on a laptop on your lap when all you can move is your eyes?

4. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Briannakin: Demand an upgrade to 7.

No, I did not mistype. :p

5. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Lol. I think I'm hating 8 more than I hated Vista. I actually have a prof who still runs on windows xp. People think he's stuck in the past, now I think he's a genius.

Problem is, I bought the laptop from a wholesale store. They send away everything for tech repairs so I'll have to go to someone else to fix it/upgrade it :p and I've had the stupid thing for like 4 days.

I'm honestly thinking about biting the bullet, returning it, spending the extra money and going with a Mac.

6. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    There's this song that explains it well:

I'm not sure it's entirely safe for work, but it's funny. :D

I honestly don't get the hate that Windows Vista seems to get. I've used it for a long time now and I don't have any problems with it. The only 'problem' I has was when I got the laptop and was installing lots of things in one go. There's no way I'd get a mac. Some people like them but they're several times more expensive for hardware that isn't as good, and I've had more problems in the few hours of using them than I have in the many years of using Windows.

7. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Same here, I've never had trouble with Vista once the extra bits they tacked on to what is essentially an upgraded WinXP kernel have been disabled. And indeed, you really don't get the same bang for your buck with a Mac PC or laptop as you would with a Windows computer, not to mention that so many more programs are designed for Windows. The only real reason to get a Mac is if you're using it for certain kinds of software such as 2D and 3D graphics programs (the Apple versions of Adobe products including Photoshop, Illustrator and Premier, are superior), movie and music editing software, and such. And the only reason to get the Mac versions of those programs is if you're using them for professional-grade (i.e., paying) work.

8. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Goodwood we went and saw the USS Edson. They just got the ship and are working on it still, so it is pretty rough inside. The boys thought it was great, though.

I love my MAC but I use it for art and it is the mega big desktop. If you use your laptop mainly for writing you probably don't want to pay a MAC price. I have a PC laptop that has been in the shop about five times and I have been on the phone with the geek squad almost as much. This is my second PC laptop. The first lasted a few weeks before it broke. I am not impressed with Samsung or Toshiba. My husband's PC laptop is dying after a year also. If you get a PC get one with tech support because you will need it. I would get a refund on a computer that blue screens in less than a week. I had that happen once and over the period of four months it was getting repaired for three months. Everything was replaced one part at time...the mother board, hard drive, and four more major pays. It sucked. The entire computer was a lemon.

9. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Actually, I didn't mind windows vista for the most part either, except for the fact that a lot of my speech programs were not compatible with it for several years, so I had to learn a new one.

And the price thing does bug me a bit. Top of the line HP (or any windows computer really) for $1000, or bottom of the line MAC for the same price? The Mac that I would get would cost me $1500.

Either way, this one is going back. A blue screen after a week is just not worth it.

10. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Inquire about former display models. You can get a decent laptop for a discount that way. My Dell was a former display model. Got it for a little over $300.

11. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Ok. Thanks. I'll see about that. I'm going out in a few minutes with my sister and her boyfriend. They should be more help than my mom. I'm still undecided between Mac and PC.

12. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Word of advice...part of why I went ahead and purchased the MAC was all of my programs I had bought in the past had PC/MAC on them. So I thought all my programs I could install. I later found out that the new MAC Lion platform is not compatible with any old programs. So I had to purchase all my programs new. Now, they were all old anyway, but it was a major expense.

13. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    I bought my little netbook for $160 'cause it was an out-of-box display model, and they needed rid of it anyway 'cause Windows 8 was rolling out the next week and it was their last one with Windows 7 on it. I got it for nearly 50% off. It's surprisingly powerful, too. The only problems I've encountered are that it won't run LOTRO (there's something missing I need to figure out how to install) and the D key doesn't always work. I think there's something stuck under it. I need to go after the keyboard with a compressed air thing.

Sleeping in a neck brace is annoying. For some reason, I can sleep on my back or my right side in it, but not on my left side. Left side is awkward and hurts. And I woke up today with my hair tangled in the velcro.

14. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I broke down and bought a Mac. I just hope I don't regret this. I have a feeling I'm either going to love it, or hate it.

15. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Dear, the USS Edson was...a destroyer. Typical Army... :p

16. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I read that on the brochure this morning after I posted my comment. I told my husband that some nit-picky person was probably going to call me on that. o_O To me there are two types of Navy ships: Battleships and Aircraft Carriers. Just be happy I didn't call it a boat.

Goodwood likes this.
  17. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Give it time, if you are used to a PC, there will be a learning curve. But after that, I find that most people, once they go Mac, they don't go back. (I'm sure there are exceptions, of course.) I love my Mac!

18. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I love my MAC also. Just remember, there is no little X in to top right corner to close a window. Instead it is a Red Dot in the upper left hand corner. Also there is no Internet Explorer instead you use safari which is the compass symbol. I know that sounds easy, but I was confused for a few minutes after getting mine. If you have any problems Google it. I googled "How do I [insert activity] on a MAC?" a whole lot after I got the computer. I couldn't do a Ctl Alt Del if something froze. I had to google that on my PC. Also Delete is like the PC Backspace. Fn-Delete is like the PC delete key.

19. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I've at least grown accustomed to the Return key, since I've been using an iPad.

And the Pokemon-amie app uses facial recognition software and the 3DS's camera. The Pokemon you're playing with will follow your head movements and request you make various expressions.

Unfortunately, the software isn't very advanced and can't read certain expressions, and I often have to take my glasses off.

But, my team is a team of love. And ass-kickers. Particularly my Delphox, holy crap.

20. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    It was gratifying to have so many people at church congratulate me on the Red Sox winning the pennant today. The Detroit TIgers had me scared to death, so needless to say, they put up a heck of a fight, but it was around 7th inning last night that Shane Victorino hit a grand slam and I screeched incoherently for a couple of minutes.

21. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    I've been waiting for you to rub that one in my face, Ish. Thanks for that. :p Yes, I'm quite pissed off that the Tigers basically kept trying to find ways to lose.

22. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I'm actually really liking my Macbook thus far, but I have to verse myself in some of the mousepad finger movements. My high school ran on Macs so I know the basics, and I've got firefox downloaded already. My cousin told me once you go mac, you never go back, too, so I figure if she can figure it out, so can I. I'm also really loving the size. My other laptops have been 15.6 or 17 inch. This one is only 13 - much easier to carry. I bought microsoft office for it because all the people I know that have a mac have all said it's worth the extra $120. I'm not completely sure it was worth it, but I guess it can't hurt to have it.

23. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    I need to get hold of Office. I have OpenOffice and it SUCKS for formatting manuscripts. The headers and footers are messed up.

24. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I was gearing up for a long trip to York, but it didn't happen. Now I'm full of coffee and can't sit still.

25. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    So this just happened. Someone posts a pic of Chris Pine in really tight, low-riding black leather pants. They're just about poured on. He's leaning against a classic car.

Me: Hey, that's a '65 Buick Riviera hardtop!
    Me: . . .
    Me: Oh, and a hot guy in leather pants, too.
    Me: *goes back to looking at car*

jcgoble3 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.