main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    For the most part, when I was in school I'd rather starve than eat the school food, it didn't matter what it was. ;) Even the pizza and burgers at my school were nasty; I mostly ate the salad/potato bar (on the days that it was open, which was only 2 or 3 days a week). I did love the stromboli, though. What I wouldn't give to have that again! :)

2. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I don't think I ever ate in the cafeteria. We had an option to buy individual items like pizza burritos from an outside window. I would bring my lunch and then if I was still hungry I would buy something from the ala carte line. My kids new school doesn't offer lunches. Everybody brown bags it.

3. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I was telling my niece about the food when I was going to school. She's jealous. She wants sodium-laden chicken patties and greasy steak-and-cheese sandwiches on regular white hamburger buns.

Now I'm hungry for government cheese...

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  4. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Universal health care FTW!

We were that poor school that never got finished being built. We were supposed to have a cafeteria, but it never happened (literally, one outer wall of my old high school is just aluminum sheeting because they plan to one day finish it; the school is nearly 40 years old). We ate packed lunches on hallway floors. There were a few foldout picnic style tables, but never enough 9/10ths of the school. There was a concession that sold stuff liked microwaved burritos, but no one ever bought them, though every second friday was chow mein day. Man that stuff was good.

5. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    TrakNar: I'll send you some, C.O.D.

6. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    The only times I ever had a school lunch was when it was Christmas and the school did a 'special' Christmas dinner. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't as good as mum's dinner! Mind you, processed turkey slices can never compete with the real thing.

Uni was different though as the food at Uni was often really good. The second Uni I went to had Cranks sandwiches, which are the most amazing sandwiches ever, and they were all vegetarian too. I miss those sandwiches. :(

7. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Now when I went to college I ate breakfast lunch and dinner in the dining facility, but I had no choice. As a military school we were put in formation and marched into the chow hall and we couldn't leave until given the dismissal order. It was good food though. We ate family style at big tables passing around plates of food. The dining hall staff could get 5000 people with their food within five minutes. It was an impressive operation. I had four years of that. I was confined to campus 99% of the time so it wasn't like I could drop into McDonalds.

8. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    The food at my uni cafeteria is just kinda average (expensive though, but the chicken wraps are awesome), but we also have a corner store on campus where you can buy snacks, milk, ramen noodles, etc, and a Tim Hortons and a pub (only in Canada).

My high school used to do a pancake breakfast the day before we we're let out for Christmas break, we used to all come in our pyjamas, it was so much fun.

9. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Someone should go and find DarthIshtar, see if she didn't overdo it celebrating her team's victory... ;)

10. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    The food in the caf at my university was alright, but mostly carbs. I had an issue that I went from dancing 5-7 days a week, 3-5 hours a day where I could eat anything I wanted while in high school to college where I only danced 1 day a week for an hour and a half, and still ate like I dance everyday. I didn't get the freshman 15, I got the freshman 50. [face_blush]

I unfortunately didn't get to celebrate the Red Sox victory as I had to work today... it was late enough when the game ended. Everyone at work is tired today. ;) But we did get a free hotdog at lunch because they won! :D

11. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I got the Freshman 15 by eating MREs all summer. Army Meals Ready to Eat have like 1200-1500 calories per meal. So without knowing it I was eating about 4000 calories on some days.

12. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Ish is at work. She was jubilant but nearly comatose last night when she texted me about the win.

13. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I definitely gained the freshmen 15.

So, when my brothers came home from school, they decided that they wanted to go trick-or-treating this year because it is the perfect night . Usually we have snow by Halloween, but it's actually quite warm. My brothers are 14, so they are at a semi-acceptable age to be going out. Anyways, one of my brothers just put on one of his old costumes on, but the other decided he wanted to go as a 'woman of the night', so I got him in a pair of my leggings, one of my very low-cut tops (this thing is so low cut, I dont even wear it) and a pair of my high heel boots. It's a special sight. To make things worse, he is very hairy for a 14 year old.

14. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    That actually sounds awesome! I'm in a Starfleet costume, but I didn't do anything. Stayed home and made cupcakes.

15. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    It was pretty funny (not as funny as the year he dressed up as his twin brother). I went to my classes as Captain Pike (in a wheelchair). We actually got a lot of kids, so we have no leftovers :(

16. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Ha ha. I just checked my book sales. I forgot that I'd scheduled a free promo of it for today, since it's my main character's birthday, and right now, my book is #37 in its category for free ebooks. If anyone wants a copy while it's free, it's in my sig.

Our roof is being repaired. They arrived a little after 8 AM and didn't leave 'til after 6 PM. Nearly hour between the two involved lots of stomping around on the roof, weird tearing noises, and a huge amount of really loud banging sounds. I'm amazed I managed to sleep through any of it, even as medicated as I was today.

We got a bunch of little trick-or-treaters that came by. They were soooo cute! One family dressed their kids as the Pevensies from "The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe", and were surprised when my mom guessed who they were. One kid totally freaked out over my Starfleet uniform, said it was the coolest thing ever. :D

17. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I went as a werewolf, and most of the costume was cobbled together, with the articulated mask the main thing I bought. I have gloves, too, that I intend to modify, and I had sewn a tail from furry fabric that sheds oh so badly. Pinned that to my pants.

Trick-or-treat was spent with me lurching through town with this hunched-over loping gait as I walked on my toes (while wearing sneakers) nonstop for two hours. Got a nice haul, though. Scared the stuffing put of a lot of little kids. There were other werewolves walking around, but my cobbled costume and overall performance netted me a pretty unanimous vote of having the best one.

When some people put on a costume, they are merely wearing a costume. When I put on a costume, it becomes an outward extension of a character performance I've already had lined up and ready to go. I don't dress up. I become a new character.

18. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Dantana Skywalker: What type of Starfleet uniform is it? Next Generation, Original Series (or J.J. Abrams), or what? Personally, I'd want one of each from the films (II through VI) and one from the later Next Generation films (First Contact etc.). I do have an early DS9/Voyager uniform top that I ordered online, however; when wearing that to an exibit of Star Trek memorabilia at the Detroit Science Center, a family actually wanted to have their picture taken with me. Captain Goodwood definitely had the bridge that day. ;)

TrakNar: That's my philosophy too. As a community college-trained actor, it's fun to don a costume and become someone—or something—else entirely!

19. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Abrams. Had to have the sleeves tailored, though, as it's a man's shirt and my arms are too small. :p

20. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Yeah, I want the classic red/black/white trim ensemble from the Original Movies. It's probably the best uniform from the mythos, aesthetically-speaking.

21. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    For the seventh year in a row I had zero trick or treaters. My boys said they didn't want to go since they were too old. I would have went but I probably would have only gotten letters saying my BMI was too high and I shouldn't eat candy (reference to crazy lady in North Dakota).

22. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Awesome costume, Bri! :D

I unfortunately didn't get to dress up. I worked yesterday and today so I didn't get the chance to go to any parties. I wanted to wear something small to work, but I wasn't in my usual unit and didn't know how they would feel about it in the unit where I was.

My roommates and I are talking about just having random costume parties through out the year since we all love dressing up and we don't get to often enough. We'll see if it actually happens. Two of my 3 roommates never got a prom so we are thinking about having a prom at our house come spring. It's not dressing in costumes, but it's still something out of the usual clothing.

23. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    I love dressing in costumes for little or no reason, so I support this idea!

TrakNar likes this.
  24. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    So I get home and there are three messages from my doctors office saying, "Please contact us. We need to discuss your test results with you." I had an annual physical with blood, urine and such. When things are fine they leave that message on the phone, but not this time. So I can assume something is wrong. They tried three times because they were going to be closed this afternoon, so if I didn't get a hold of them before noon they will be back in the office on Monday. So I get to worry about this all weekend. Lucky me. The five other times they did this to me they told me my tests results may indicate cancer. Five times I was biopsied or retested and luckily the second tests came back negative. I wonder what the test results say I have now? What a kriff'n way to start out NaNoWriMo! o_O

25. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    That really sucks, JL. I hope it isn't anything serious.

My local library has a copy of my first book. Considering I was the one who filled out the grant application form, for the city, that funded part of that library's construction, this amuses me. That was back in high school, when I was interning for the Grant Administrator down at City Hall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.