main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Thanks. I had a hot shower and now I'm feeling better about the situation. It really is just me thinking the grass is greener on the married side, when in reality, it's the same shade of yellow on both :p . Being married has its perks and being a self-adsorbed 20-something year old has its perks. And both suck at times. Sure I'm kinda jealous of her now, but in 2 years, when her 'honeymoon' phase is over (and he's stuck in his depression, jobless, and she's fresh out of school, looking for a job and both in a pile of debt ~ sorry I'm a cruel person, but this WILL be their reality, or something similar), I'll be in Northern Scotland, or Prague or Tim-buck-too or who knows where, having a great time, and she'll be the one kinda jealous of me, even if for a second.

IDK, maybe I'm just trying to make myself feel better, but I think I'll have what she has one day, but she won't have what I have now. Maybe I'm being cruel, but I'm kinda feeling sorry for her now (hey, it's better than jealousy IMO), and that kinda makes me happy.

2. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Whatever floats your boat, Bri. :)

3. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    So, I beat Pokemon X. My team was over-leveled, so the Elite Four was easy and the Champion was a pushover. Had a couple difficulties with the occasional bad type matchup and the other Pokemon getting in a lucky hit, but overall, it wasn't too difficult. Then, I went off to the Unknown Dungeon and caught Mewtwo. Now I'm on the hunt for Zapdos, and I need to head to Terminus Cave and grab Zygarde.

4. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Been up most of night worry about my stupid coat. It only cost me $15 at the thrift store. I can repace it pretty easily, overall. It's just the principle of the thing.

Oh, something I should have mentioned before: "Dant" makes me twitch. Please, call me Dana.

5. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    That is surprising about the heat. Our theater plays their movies in Freeze-o-Vision. It could be 100 degrees in the summer and I bring a coat to the theater because the air conditioning is always blasting.

Ender's Game was okay. I was irritated with the kid at the end of the movie because he was boo-hooing about how things turned out. Of course my son read the books and was trying to justify his actions. It was interesting, but the moral dilemma wasn't that overwhelming for me...maybe because it reminds me of Starship Troopers or Aliens or Swarm Wars.

6. windu4

windu4 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2008
    I work at a local movie theater and I have to say that Ender's Game has been fairly popular. Part of the reason is because it's a cross-over hit. It appeals to nerds, kids, adults, people who read the books, people who didn't, girls who think Asa Butterfield looks like Benedict Cumberbatch etc etc

The movie was alright but I have to agree with Jedi_Lover. I spent most of the movie pretending that it was about the Swam Wars. That being said I'd much rather sell tickets to this movie than to Bad Grandpa. If anybody wants to talk about a stinker than that one is it.

Most of the time we get complaints about the theater being too cold and people oftentimes bring blankets into the movies. It's always a pain to have to run up to the projection booth and turn up the heat everytime someone complains but our complex manager insists on keeping it cold.

7. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    As much as I'd like to see Ender's Game, I think I'll pass. I don't want any of my money going Orson Scott Card, not considering he's been loudly protesting equal rights for the LGBT community and was even on the NOM board. Is it ok to be rude about him here? All the harmful things he's done and said, it's just wrong.

Oh, and on the 'keeping it cold' thing, my mum likes to keep the house cold. I bought a small fan heater for my room as I figure it'll be cheaper to run that than heat the whole house, especially as I'm in my room most of the time.

8. windu4

windu4 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2008
    I mean, you can dislike Orson Scott Card as much as you like. I feel the exact same way as you do. However, I've learned to separate the author from his creation. If I didn't do that than I'm not even sure if I'd be able to watch Star Wars.

TrakNar, DarthIshtar and Goodwood like this.
  9. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    My jacket is officially stolen. :(

I hate Card. He's a jerk. Maybe I should have boycotted. Then I'd still have my kriffing coat!

10. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Precisely. You gotta separate the person from the product, and besides, Card has already made his fortune. It's not as though boycotting the film is going to send him to the poorhouse

I think the bigger issue here is the freedom of speech and freedom to listen, as well as the inverse of both (freedom to not speak, freedom to not listen). It is perfectly okay to disagree with some or all of a person's arguments/viewpoints/opinions, but by shunning that person and their talents—particularly en masse as you propose—you stifle your own ability to speak and be heard. Card is a good author, the novel Ender's Game had some good messages and it really gets the mental juices flowing, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's a good person. Heinlein was a brilliant author (apparently), yet he was a thoroughly contemptible man who was infamous for being a crotchety old bastard especially to his "fans." And yet, I've never heard of any boycotts of his work (yes, the man is long dead, but that is irrelevant to the argument).

11. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I'm good friends with Card's niece, so got a hold of her yesterday after she said that she had seen the movie. We both agreed that the reinterpretation of the Giant's Drink game was asinine, that the command school was done exactly right, that they rushed the battle school and that we wish they had kept in the political evolution of Ender's siblings as leaders back on Earth. She says she's happy that people are responding well to the story, since there was such a backlash against her uncle earlier. I let her know that disagreeing with his politics has never kept me from enjoying his books.

12. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I own Card's "How to Write Science Fiction & Fantasy" book, and chose it because he wrote it. Who better to write a writer's book than a master of the subject? Yes, I disagree with his views, but if I want to learn how to write good sci-fi, I will read his books.

13. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I agree that you have to separate creator from creations. Plenty of musicians are not nice people, but I still listen to them. Boycotting stuff often does very little, unless its a mass boycott, which dont happen often.

14. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    This cold picked a perfect time to hit. I need to clean my apartment, but I lack the energy.

Plenty of energy to beat Pokemon, but no energy to clean my apartment.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  15. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004

I wish the whole movie was about Battle School. That whole set was amazing. And the Battle Room...man. I'd never been able to visualize it while reading the book, but that was perfect.

I definitely don't agree with Card's politics, and his speaking loudly about it makes it hard to ignore. But in the end the content does not reflect his political views in the slightest. It's actually hard to wrap my head around the fact that a book all about understanding the enemy and featuring a diverse cast was written by someone with his ideology.

16. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Am I the only person who never heard anything about this man until now? The only reason I bought the books for my son is I went into Books-A-Million and requested a good book for a teenage boy.

17. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Don't worry JL, it's just your standard authorial soapboxing on his part. Pay it no heed.

18. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Got Mabel laying on my lap. Every time I cough, she looks at me. She's worried about me and I feel bad because I make her worry. :(

19. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Don't worry, I have little idea what they are talking about. I never heard of Ender's game before the movie cam out, but I kinda want to read it now.

Bah, I've been blind sided by a cold. I feel like hell, I've go so much homework to do and nano, but I just want to curl up and sleeeeeeep. Trak, I blame you :p

20. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    MY PLAN IS WORKING PERFECTLY

*chokes on phlegm*

21. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yeah, kill off the one Mod while the other is away so you can take over the fanfic forums. I'M ON TO YOU!

Alas my kitty is snuggling with me. I think I'll shirk my research papers tonight and work on nano while watching John Cleese.

jcgoble3 and TrakNar like this.
  22. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    I gave DarthIshtar a ride home from work tonight, and she helped me pick out a jacket to replace the one that got stolen yesterday. It's BRIGHT RED, so more difficult to forget hopefully, and it's all fuzzy inside. And it has a hood!

23. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    €#%@!! now I have a headache that Tylenol hasn't even bothered to fix. I need to clean, but all I want to do is sleep.

24. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    Boycotting the movie doesn't mean boycotting Card. Apparently he's not getting any of the money anyway. http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Why-Ender-Game-Boycott-Won-t-Hurt-Orson-Scott-Card-40097.html So you can go see with with a guilt-free conscience if you want to!

I bought one of his books before I knew what kind of person he was. I don't have a problem, generally, with creators being not-nice people. Everyone has the right to be who they are. My problem with Card is, he actually spends some of his money on his anti-gay crusades, so my money would be going towards that through him, and I don't want that.

25. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Iverna: interesting info about the film, I did not know that. And your reasons are exactly the same as mine.

I don't think it was ever about boycotting thing. Rather it seems to me that it's more of a 'try and find some way that doesn't benefit Card' thing. One example was with the books, saying that second hand books and borrowing from libraries won't benefit him.

Anyways, I'm not happy about other things. I have to have a tooth out. It's about £150 just to have the tooth pulled! I'm not made of money! :_|

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.