main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Academic sources? Forgive me if I seem ignorant, but don't peer review and political science have about as much in common as fish and frogs?

2. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Yeah. My paper is on the impacts of declining populations in Canada and Japan and what the governments are doing about it. I'm sorry, but that screams to me like I should be using government publications.

3. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    This is why I bought Windows 7

the lesser evil of the two by the sounds of it :p

mmmmmmmmmmmmm fish and frog legs =P~

oh wait you're talking about politics never mind :p

4. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Mabel is curled up in her chair. The papasan of power. ALL HAIL MABEL

5. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    I'd rather pet her.

Briannakin: It sounds to me like your professor hasn't got a clue as to what he's doing.

6. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I have no idea where my cat is. She was running up and down the hallway, but she stopped. I think she's gone off to bug her big brother (my sister's grumpy cat).

I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to ignore his requirements and write a better, not to mention easier, paper with government publications. I think it'll get me a better mark than spending all my time finding irrelevant academic sources and writing a bad paper.

7. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    I bow to no one ;)

Everytime I ignored the requirements I always failed. Never a good thing but maybe it might in your situation? [face_dunno]

8. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Briannakin: could you complete your paper without the sources and then find sources that support your conclusion? Or alternatively, find sources that contradict your conclusion and explain the reasons why?

Talking of cats, my copy of I Am Pusheen The Cat arrived yesterday! For those that don't know, Pusheen is a tumblr cat who blogs about things. Always cute, the tumblr has animated pictures. While the book isn't animated, it does have about 25% unseen material, so I love it.
    The website is here: http://pusheen.com/

9. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    AWWWW!

Why must you distract me from my work with cute cats.

But that is a good idea, if I have time I could find some people that support my argument if I have some time. Someone suggested to just find semi relevant academic papers, find some part that works and just tack it on randomly, even if its out of date. I found 2 books online that are from the mid 90s that deal with the subject so I might do a then and now thing.

It just really bugs me when there are research requirements. One of my best papers was 3000 words, but I only had four sources, all primary documents written in the 16th and 17th centuries. I could have done a master's thesis on the subject.

10. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    sorry. Double post.

11. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    I . . . suddenly find myself planning a trip to London in the fall of next year. :confused:

12. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Can't you list 5 crappy academic sources along with your government and newspaper sources, but have 90% of the paper coming from your non-academic papers?

Do you think the instructor is going to cross reference everything or simply count your list of sources?

13. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    This is one of the reasons I am so glad I don't need to write papers anymore. I mean, I'm being somewhat masochistic and writing one about Khan in Star Trek, but . . . That's for me, not for a grade.

14. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    I actually liked writing papers. Of course, this was for community college. In any case, Jedi_Lover seems to have the right idea... ;)

15. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I missed hitting a deer by inches today. That animal was MOVING! Today is the start of deer season. I suspect it was running away from a bunch of hunters. I slammed on my brakes and I cannot believe I did not hit it. I screwed up my foot again. Every time I slam on the brakes I mess up those ligaments in my foot again. 15 November is like a State holiday here. My son is upset because his classmate that he is supposed to do a major project with is taking next week off to hunt with his father. So he has to do the project alone. My oldest son asked to go hunting. I told him it is not like a video game where they are running around and you are just shooting. I told him it is BORING. You sit in a tree for hours freezing your butt off on the off chance that a deer walks by. My son has zero patients. He would go nuts.

My son is bugging me for the PS4. I was talking to the Best Buy guys about his because there were people camping outside in the cold starting at the beginning of the week. I asked why the people were there and they said, "To get a PS4." I said, "What? Are you giving them away for free?" I couldn't imagine camping out in the cold for anything unless it was expensive and free.

He said they were not even on sale. These people just want one. So I asked him if the new video games will be PS3 compatible and he said they won't. Arrrgggghhh! That is BULL! It is just another way to force me to get a new machine. I bet those video discs could have both the PS3 and PS4 program on it.

I told the kids if they want a PS4 they are going to have to convince their father because I have bought them their presents for the last 14 years and Dad has never went shopping once. Do you know what I got for Christmas last year? He went to the gas station and bought me five bags of licorice because he knows I like candy. o_O And he did that in the morning when he realized I didn't buy a gift for myself and mark it as from him.

He did give me a chainsaw the year before because I gave him the information about the model number and where to buy it. That's what I have to do.

So I am buying NOTHING for Christmas. Let him shop for the kids. He's got way more money than me anyway. :rolleyes:

16. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    It's funny you mention that, JL. My little brother (who works in an accounting office while attending community college) just took delivery of his PS4 (either today or yesterday). He pre-ordered it four months ago and my family are quite enjoying the graphics. Dad is just standing there marveling at it, saying that "you can see the sweat on this guy's face, and smell it too!"

17. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    My roommate and I are both going! :D I have to drive about 20 miles away to go because the two theaters that are doing it sold out really quickly and the date they went on sale I didn't know if I would have to work on the date or not. As it is, my roommate is going to have to leave work a little early (luckily she can do that) so we can make it there. I'm super excited!

18. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I have two teenage boys…I don't need to smell more sweat.

They can have it if they convince their dad to buy it. I'm the big pushover they say, but I am standing firm this time.

19. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Don't worry JL, we can hold you to that promise if you'd like... *goes to check the chains to make sure they're oiled* ;)

20. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    NO! [face_not_talking] I don't plan on buying PS4. I just had to get my laptop fixed because my hard drive failed. I had 500 GB hard drive and my son filled up 450 GB of it with games. So I get the Geek Squad to put in a new hard drive and what did I do? I got a 1TB hard drive knowing full well he is just going to fill it up with 950 GB of games. Then I bought myself a new laptop which ends up as a Windows 8 computer which I didn't realize until I get home and I hate it. :( And now the computers are saying I need to buy more virus protection. I know that is showing up on my husband's computer and I am hoping he will renew because it is for three computers and two belong to the kids who click on every suspicious looking link. :rolleyes: But no, he'll wait until I pay for the renewal because I always take care of this stuff. o_O

21. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    There are only two things that are guaranteed to lead to your computer getting trashed by hackers. 1: downloading e-mail attachments from people you don't know. 2: seriously going out of your way to piss off a hacker, who will vape your system just to get rid of an annoyance or, more subtly, make your machine into a zombie computer. There are other, less likely means, though; for example, certain websites are classified as "attack sites" because they have malicious coding hidden in them ("wxyz.nimp.on.org", where the wxyz can be anything, is one of them). IRC channels often contain one or more mischievous and/or malicious characters who will offer "free advice" that, if followed, will not bode well for your computer (including offering links to attack sites).

It sounds to me like you need to have a serious discussion with your kids about computer use and safety, establishing what is acceptable and what isn't. They're going to learn a lot of things from dubious sources otherwise, so it's better to head trouble off before trouble melts a laptop or two into slag.

22. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Yeah…I already had to put on parental restrictions after finding a history for "HOTSEXYGIRLS" websites.

23. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    So, my mom is flying up for the holidays.

She'll be here Monday and plans to stay until New Years.

I'd better work on an escape plan fast!

24. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Wow. A month and a half? That's a long time to be somewhere just for the holidays IMO.

25. SabyneAmberle

SabyneAmberle Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 16, 2004
    *peek* Ooh, this place is shiny...

So look who decided to dig this place back up. Along with everything else I'm doing, I've missed writing. So here I am. ^_^

Iverna likes this.
  26. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Well hello there. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.