main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I didn't get any writing done for NaNo. I foolishly started reading the book Kenobi. I really liked it. Right before that I read Razor's Edge. So I was reading instead of writing. I like these stand alone books with little missions, not mega-powerful extragalactic invaders that kill half of the characters that we grew to love.

My boys go to scouts tonight, maybe I will get some writing done while they are at their meeting.

2. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Everything I've heard about Kenobi is awesome. I think I might have to go to my library pick it up on my break.

I still have that dumb bibliography to do for my first paper. UGH. I used like 20 sources. This won't be fun. I'll pay someone with a fic to do this for me! Any takers?

3. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I just saw on TV that Fathead is now making Star Wars murals. There is a bunch of them, but I like the one of Luke. I just wish he was in Jedi Robes or in his blacks.

http://www.fathead.com/entertainment/star-wars/luke-skywalker-mural/?src=browse

Ack! I'm in the library and there is nobody around me, but somebody must have walked into the building that is a smoker. The stench of cigarette smoke is making me sick. There is no smoking here, so the smell must be on their clothing.

4. windu4

windu4 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2008
    I agree with you Jedi_Lover. There isn't nearly enough art that focuses on Luke Skywalker as a Jedi Knight. There seems to be a bit of a strange obsession with his pre-ROTJ days. That being said does anyone have any links to good EU art? I'm always on the search but I always run into the same pictures on Tumblr and The Wook.

As far as the libraries are concerned I know the feeling. I think every library stenches of cigarettes. I can't really complain because I'm a smoker but I try to freshen up before I go into public areas. :p

5. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I like deviantArt. Here are some of my favorite artists:

http://wraithdt.deviantart.com/art/Lair-Of-The-Supreme-Overlord-330774173
    http://falconfan.deviantart.com/art/Jedi-Master-Kyp-Durron-44793507
    http://teresenielsen.deviantart.com/art/Star-Wars-Admiral-Thrawn-132373793
    http://gattadonna.deviantart.com/art/Spirit-of-77-52541421

I think my husband has gone insane. I got a new phone that is much cheaper with a new carrier and I got to keep my old phone number. It's half the price and it is unlimited everything. Well my old carrier called my home phone and left a message saying my phone was deactivated and if I didn't mean to do that to let them know.

So he freaked out for some reason and he calls me up at my old cell phone number and yells at me for changing my phone number. I told him I didn't change my phone number. He screams that the message said my phone number was deactivated. I said, "With Verizon, I have the same phone number, but a different carrier."

He freaks and says, "Ah ha, so you did change your phone number." I said, "You called me! How could I have changed my phone number?" He is getting all weird on me so I hang up.

He's been acting erratic for the last month. I think he needs an MRI.

I just found out my son is almost failing his writing class. I am reading his essay and I have no idea what he is trying to say. He is using phrases like, "A smaller bit of a larger percentage of people". I said to him, "Do you mean 'less people'?" I can't believe he can write four paragraphs that say absolutely nothing. He should be a political speech writer.

6. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I loved Kenobi, best SW book I've read in a long time. I have yet to read Razor's Edge but I plan on doing so.

Jedi_Lover - Wow. [face_hypnotized] That kinda reminds me of some people when I worked customer service for Bank of America. I would ask for info to confirm who they were so I could tell them what they called to ask and some people would start saying things like, "How do I know this is Bank of America?" and I honsetly had nothing to say except, "You called me." (I didn't say it quite that way) I did offer that if they wanted to hang up and call back that was fine.

7. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I bow before anyone that can work in costumer service.

I actually thought about becoming a political speech writer back when I was a political science major. I can write some pretty awesome sounding Bantha Shavit. Back in high school, my history teacher challenged me to justify the American nuking of Japan when the rest of the class had to condemn the action. I got the highest mark. When he handed my paper back, his comment was "Now I know how dictators get to be so popular." Yeah... I basically got called Hitler. I'm like, thank you?

EDIT: For the record, I did not agree what I said in my paper one bit, that's why it was so hard.

8. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Briannakin et. al., I could totally get into a huge history debate, particularly about that subject whether you allow the advantage of hindsight or handicap it by forcing a contemporary perspective. My gosh I love history and the debating thereof.

9. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    That happened to me while in the Army. One of my soldiers claimed that he didn't get his direct deposit paycheck and now all of his checks were bouncing and one local merchant said he was going to call the police to get the soldier arrested. We were trying to clear this up and get the soldier an Emergency Relief loan until we do. So I call the local merchant and ask for a couple days to get his financial problem fixed and I will make sure my soldier would go down with a money order to pay the man. He said, "How do I know you are his platoon leader, you could be his wife calling to trick me."

That was a completely understandable comment. So I said, "I'll come down there today in uniform and with my identification if you like." He said, "No need, I'll call the company and ask for you." That is also a very bright thing to do. I was thinking that this guy is no dummy, until he said, "What is your phone number?" I almost laughed. I gave him my phone number and when he called back I answered like I always did with the name of the company and identifying myself. That satisfied the man. Of course my soldier's wife could have done the same thing since he had no idea if the phone number I gave him was to the company. Anyway, it turns out the soldier did get paid...and lost the money doing Off Track Betting. We got him the loan and he paid off the merchant the next day. He had to pay off the loan and then explain to his wife how he gambled away his entire month's pay check. :rolleyes:

Briannakin --When I was in the Army we were a little less politically correct. I often saw T-Shirts that said, "Shoot them all; let God sort them out" or "Nuke them until they glow and then shoot them in the dark." I actually had a T-shirt that said: "Join the Army. Travel to exotic lands, meet interesting people...and kill them." I also had a T-Shirt that I gave to my husband that said, "Rest secure, sleep with an MP." (MP is for Military Police, which I was.).:p

With that said, I don't want to get into a political debate on nuking. I hate talking politics or history and historical politics really suck.o_O

10. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    LOL JL. My father had the very same T-shirt, the one about traveling. He was an ambulance driver (among other things) in a MUST battalion, and actually hated the armed forces in general. He's gotten a bit mellower about it since then, naturally, being a politician and all (plus the wisdom of age, I guess).

11. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yeah, it was a rather odd assignment, even for a Whiggish high school history class.

I'm playing hooky today, shhhhh. I've had a pretty good attendance record thus far this semester, plus I need to get some work and reading done. And it's darn cold. It's -21 C.

12. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    @Jedi_Lover- LOL! Sometimes people don't think! *face palm* Luckily for them, you were who you said you were.
    I like those shirts! :D

I once got an email and a phone call saying I had won $100 from the North Face. I did recall entering a contest but it had been quite a few months since I had done so while ordering winter boots. I was so paranoid about it I googled the company that was calling/emailing (it wasn't the North Face), googled the guy who was calling/emailing, double checked phone numbers and email and also went to the North Face website and read every detail of the fine print, which did say they were using that company. Finally after I had exhausted every avenue I could think of, I called to claim my prize. I'm pretty sure that used up all of my luck for the rest of my life. ;)

-21 C... Brrr.... I think that's worth a skip day!

13. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    You can't be too careful. My mother always gets phone calls from people wanting to fix her windows PC. Too bad we don't own a windows PC (all we have is laptops and tablets, which now all run on apple). I've heard of the scam before, they get remote access to the computer, then they find all your banking info. I'm constantly deleting emails saying I've won a Coke-a-Cola contest. I've never entered a Coke contest in my life.

I ended up doing very little all day. I was on the couch, procrastinating and watching an episode of Chuck on netflix when my sister's grumpy cat (I mean this cat has hated my guts ever since I brought home my cat) decides to use my chest as a bed. Then my cat decides to use my thighs as a bed. Needless to say, I spent today covered in cats and having a Chuck marathon. I didn't get anything done, but I was warm :)

14. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    You have a cat blanket. lol! I have been dizzy all day. It is either fluid in my ear or some of the crystals or whatever in my ear are screwed up. It happens when I move my head.

15. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004

My high school history teacher was the best. We studied World War II for several weeks, including all the different political ideologies involved (Nazism, Fascism, Communism). Then he divided the class into thirds and we had to debate each other using those ideologies.

The best part? My friend Rachel, who was Jewish, going on and on about how the Nazis would fix Germany. It was great.

Say what you will about the assignment, but we all did awesome on our final exam.

(I was in the International Baccalaureate program...I doubt that would have flown in regular classes!)

16. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    :( I have been watching the Paranormal Witness marathon all night. I was viewing this one show where a ghost is haunting this guy and a lot of things are hitting the side of this man's house. All of the sudden I hear a "bam". Normally I would just think, "It's the cat" but the boys were in the next room and they were asking each other "What was that?" So I go in and asked them what happened and they told me a bird hit the front window…or at least they think that was what happened.

It's nighttime. It's been dark for hours. Do bird fly around at night? Maybe it was a bat. Arrggghhhh…I'm creeped out! [face_worried]

17. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    I hate that. Had it all last winter -- ear infection or some such inexplicable crud. It's hard to believe without experiencing how utterly annoying it is, especially if it disrupts your ability to sleep. Have you got info on how to do an Epley maneuver? My thing didn't respond to that, but yours might. There were videos on YouTube and so on about how to do it.

18. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I watched the Epley maneuver today on YouTube and tried to do it on my own. It seemed to help a little. I feel loopy like I had a few drinks, but not enough to be legally impaired, but I don't drink. The last time I went to the doctor they saw fluid in my ear, but didn't think it was enough to make me dizzy. The on start of these attacks usually happens when I am in the store. It has happened twice in Wal-Mart and once in the grocery store today. I wonder if it has something to do with the lighting, air conditioning, or just being around people. My friend has this and it is that the ear crystals are screwed up. My doctor says that happens when you get old. Oh, thanks. I hate being older than my doctor. o_O

19. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    JediMara77 Lol. I had to do something similar in the same history class. We had a debate for/against Totalitarian States. Both sides had to use examples from 20th century history. I was on the for side. And to be fair, Hitler did help Germany out of the worst economic times ever seen in history, and Stalin did bring the USSR out of the 18th/19th centuries in terms of technology. Anyways, I, the cripple, was one of the leaders for our side, along with an openly homosexual buddy of mine. Fact wise, we kick the other side's butt (but they had ethics). This was an elective history class, so we were able to do horrible stuff like this.

Probably was a bat.

I haven't seen the sun in weeks. It doesn't get light till almost 10am and it starts to get dark around 2. Welcome to the arctic.

20. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    I have no idea what triggers mine. It's only happened a couple of times. Good that the maneuver helps, even if it's only a little. Wonder why going to the store of all things would cause it? Weird, but then I've come to the conclusion that we have a barely-beyond-medieval understanding of certain things inside the human head. Including the inner ear (really, I would have been just as happy to go about my life without remembering it existed...) Oh, and the "it's an aging thing." Always a big hit. :rolleyes: Sometimes I think that certain doctors work for years to perfect the ideal anti-bedside manner.

Anyway, has anyone done their Christmas shopping yet? I keep meaning to and then get distracted, so it will probably end up being at the last minute with five billion shoppers. Just like always. Would Amazon orders even ship in time from this date?

21. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I'm not done, but almost there. ThinkGeek had a huge sale in September (it was like 30% off all clearance items), so I got my few friends that I always get gifts for (though one of the gifts might be a bit odd now, I got her a wrist-watch from a kid's show that we watch when we want to goof off, but she has since become engaged and all "I'm grown up now", but I'm not bothering sending it back). I got my sister's boyfriend a belt buckle I saw while in London (but I'm also getting him a gift card for a music store). My sister and I are going halfers on a fish-finder for our stepdad. She has already picked it up, but I have yet to see her to pay my half. I ordered my brothers ski-googles. They have yet to come, but there's still time. I still have my mom and sister left. They both want sweaters from a place I get a 15% off student discount from, so I'm good.

It should be safe to still order from Amazon. It generally doesn't take more than 3 weeks, and often it takes less than that, but its getting around crunch time for other online stores.

22. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    There's only one person I ever try to consistently christmas shop for, and I've no idea what to get her yet. Or if I'll even be able to afford to. :(

23. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I'm not buying any Christmas presents this year. I told the kids to tell their dad what they want for Christmas.

24. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I had my broken tooth removed today. It took ages and it hurts. I can't take more paracetamol for another hour or so which sucks. I'm just watching a film to take my mind off things.

Not sure what I'll do for presents this year. I'm sure I'll figure something out though. Having two nephews really makes things hard! However did my parents and aunts cope? My mum had four kids and my aunt had three, so that's seven nephews and nieces for my other aunt!

25. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I've already said Bah Humbug to Christmas this year. Since I cannot afford to buy anything for anyone, I have decided that I won't get any gifts for anyone and will not expect any gifts from anyone.

This is the second year in a row that I have done this. Not sure whether that makes me the Grinch or just a guy that's always broke.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.