main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I remember when I was in the Army our commander had us out shoveling snow in a blizzard. We'd get to the end of the sidewalk and then turn around and it was filled up again with snow. Since we didn't have snow days in the Army we just kept shoveling. Well, that's not exactly true. If the civilian workers are told to stay home often a lot of military got the day off. I worked security so my company never had a day off ever. Somebody was always on duty.

It was crazy bringing the boys to school today. You know you are in trouble when you are going 5 MPH and slowly apply the brakes and the anti-lock brake system kicks in and you start sliding. I was going SLOW! I don't care if I had ten people following me and cursing my slow driving. A guy got killed yesterday just a few miles from the school because he slid into the oncoming lane. I leave about twenty minutes earlier than I have to so I have the luxury to drive slow if the conditions warrant it. It irritates me when people are going 70 MPH on a winding, icy road. They're an accident waiting to happen. I am concerned enough about my own driving. I don't need to have to worry about other idiot drivers.

2. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    People can be morons. A few years ago my sister was driving on some really icy roads for the first time in her old beater car. She was doing well below the speed limit (like 30 kmh in a 50 zone) when some moron in a huge truck, honks at her, passes her illegally doing like 80kmh, and gives her the finger. About 200 metres down the road, my sister passes him. He's flipped over in the ditch, on the other side of the road, with another vehicle. That is what you call, instant karma.

Goodwood and TrakNar like this.
  3. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Bahahahahaa! Karma at it's best....assuming nobody was dead. That would be a little too much Karma. That happened to me. I think it was last year I was driving the boys home and a truck passed me doing about 60 MPH in a 55MPH zone...which wouldn't be bad if the roads weren't a sheet of ice. I was going about 35 MPH. I said to my sons, "That guy is going to end up in a ditch." We turned a corner and he had spun around and hit a snow bank. He was perpendicular to the way he should be facing. I was able to get around him. He wasn't hurt but he didn't know his back tailgate had popped open and some of what he was hauling fell out onto the road. He then backed up and ran over some of his boxes.

4. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    She said people were out of both vehicles, walking around, so she assumed everyone was okay. But yeah ice + speed = karma.

5. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    On the subject of shoveling sidewalks, I'm stuck in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. City ordinance requires that we have to clear all snow off of our sidewalk within 12 hours after it stops snowing. Yet state law says that if we shovel the snow and someone subsequently falls and gets hurt, we can be held liable because we altered the natural state of the snow. If we don't shovel the sidewalk and someone falls, then we can't be held liable because the snow is still in its natural state and therefore it's an act of God. But if we don't shovel the sidewalk, the city will shovel it themselves and bill us outrageous prices for snow removal. [face_dunno]

6. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Challenge the state law by claiming that the phrase and subsequent exemption "act of God" is inherently unconstitutional owing to the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment. ;)

jcgoble3 likes this.
  7. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I don't think it actually uses those exact words. It's just basically what it amounts to.

8. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    That's kinda crazy!
    I think I'd shovel because you are much more likely to get a fine then you are for someone to slip and fall and then sue you. I wouldn't sue anyone for slipping and falling in the winter, cause um... winter, but if I were to do so, I wouldn't sue the person who's house I just so happened to be walking in front of. Technically, the city owns it, so I'd go after them.

9. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Actually, after some Googling I discovered that it's not a state law, but rather two state court rulings (one by the Ohio Supreme Court here and one by an appeals court here).

10. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I may go out and put down more cat litter for traction. There was some melting, but it iced over again.

11. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    If you really want to irritate your neighbors utilize used cat litter. Those clumps are just extra traction.

TrakNar and Goodwood like this.
  12. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    So you know that 45cms of snow we were supposed to get? Well, we got it, and we're supposed to get another 30 by tomorrow night. Yeah. It's not a blizzard, it's a snow-apocalypse. There is no way the school buses will be running, so I'll be stuck home with my two brothers, and we have very little food in the house. I was supposed to out with some friends then go grocery shopping with my sister, but we canceled both because the roads are just a mess. My poor sister has NO food AND her power is out (so no heat), and of course she has a tiny car, so she can't go anywhere to get any food. I feel like I'm living on Hoth. Kinda looks like Hoth outside.

13. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Ahhh…if only I could snuggle up to Luke Skywalker within the entrails of a tauntaun. o_O Okay, that doesn't sound very romantic…but I bet it's warm.

14. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I bet it would be luke-warm [face_rofl]

Sorry. I had to.

mavjade , TrakNar, jcgoble3 and 2 others like this.
  15. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Women... ;) :p

jcgoble3 likes this.
  16. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I love Hoth.

I can build things with this glorious snow.

I can go sledding.

BRING ME MORE SNOW

17. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    We haven't got any snow at all here. Makes me sad, but at least it's not all that cold either.

18. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    We have a little bit of snow here, but mostly it's just COLD! The local weather site says it's about -20 C. I don't intend to leave the house today.

19. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    So, we now have a little over a metre of snow, and it will not stop! Everyone made it to school and work. I'm just glad my exams are done so I don't have to go anywhere. It's about -20 C here too.

20. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Don't send the snow here:p I like luke-warm weather in Warmond where I am living.

21. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I just watched RED 2. It was a great movie!

22. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Chilly night. My plans? Curl up with Mabel and watch Pacific Rim.

23. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Wow, that's quite the amount of snow, Bri! [face_hypnotized]

24. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    So, it hasn't stopped snowing. I currently can't see out my bedroom window (I live in the basement, but the window goes up from the ground about 2 feet, usually the roof overhang prevents this problem, but the wind has buried my window in snow). There are power outages all over the area. So if I randomly disappear, that's why. Or I've been attacked by a wampa and you need to send Han to save me :p

25. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    There's snow headed my way this weekend. I can't wait!

SEND ME MORE SNOW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.