main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    So, I went to the laundry room to get my laundry and I found a laptop.

2. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Is this for your apartment building? It shouldn't be hard to find the owner. I would try to get it back because most computers now have apps that allow you to track their location. You wouldn't want to get accused of stealing it.

I heard of one guy that stole a laptop and was downloading really embarrassing videos of himself onto it. The owner had Carbonite (offsite backup) and he could access all the files that were being put on the computer. He downloaded the videos and put them on YouTube. The thief put in theYouTube comments that he will return the computer if the guy took down the videos of him playing the air guitar and singing in his underwear.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  3. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I called the Supportive Services coordinator and gave it to him, and then put a sign up in the laundry room, telling the owner to call the coordinator.

4. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I think it's rather sad that today the moment you find something someone is likely to call you thief. I am glad to hear TrakNar did as she has. :)

5. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I wasn't calling her a thief, but if I left my computer there I would freak and run back there and when it wasn't there I would activate the Computer finder app. Some apps you need to go to the police department to access the GPS coordinates because the app designer doesn't want people confronting people and getting into a fight. So then an hour later you find a cop at your door asking for the computer. I saw this done on Investigative Discovery.

She handled it perfectly...unless TrakNar downloaded videos of herself playing the air guitar in her underwear before she turned it in.

6. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Haha! Nope, I didn't even take the computer out of the case. I opened the case to see if there was a computer in it, then closed it. The zippers were busted, so I did add a new zipper pull, and I found a paper with the possible owner's name on it, so I put a sticky note on the case, and listed the name on the sign.

Update: The owner has been found and the laptop returned.

Juliet316, Gemma and Jedi_Lover like this.
  7. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    One thing that kinda irks me about YouTube is how uploaders often use misleading thumbnail images to get views. They've been able to do this for a long while.

8. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Mabel's curled up on my lap and we're watching Batman. She hasn't been sleeping in the cat box quite as much since I started watching videos with her again.

Gemma likes this.
  9. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    My sons and I are watching Apocalypse Now. I've never seen it before. I got all excited, "Hey, that's Harrison Ford! He is playing a soldier named Colonel Lucas!".

10. Katarn's Beard

Katarn's Beard Jedi Knight

Jan 21, 2014

It's a really good movie, and yeah the first time I watched it Ford's appearance surprised me a bit.

11. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
  12. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    I too am a bit twisted --- I got into the SAW movies when they did second one. Although some of the back writing in the other films contradicts things -- I still went to see them. I don't remember which one it is -- but the one where John (Jigsaw) is denied coverage for his operation -- is the one that makes you think and when we find out his Jill lost their baby because of the one guy at the center where she worked -- you kind of see his real motivations. I also love the music by Charlie Clouser from all of them but have only been able to get 1-3. I was into it for the puzzles and the Wrap up scenes at the end that explained everything and that always had the best piece of music. I was really sad to see the Franchise ended. It had gotten to be a yearly ritual for my sister and I to go see it on opening night if we could.

If you have not seen the second Hostel --- it's way better than the first one --- the battle between the man and woman was surprising to me. I have not seen the Third one. And the Hostels I rent from Redbox. I saw one the other day -- I will have to look up the title and get back to you -- it was a slasher flick -- but with a plot twist. We saw one called Mischief Night that was a little better than average for a slash flick -- again a good plot twist, plus the heroine is blind.

13. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Curse of Chucky is my favorite of the Chucky movies. It had something in it that my brother and I were impressed with, even though it's so simple and minor; when Chucky took a knife to one of the character's fingers, and merely cut them. Too many times have I seen movies do the exact same thing, only the fingers fall off like they were nothing. I can tell you from experience that it takes a lot to cut off a finger.

That experience being that I was cutting matte board, and accidentally put my thumb under the blade. I didn't notice and wondered why the board wasn't cutting, so I pressed down with all my weight. Then I saw my thumb under the blade. Oops.

Thumb's still attached, by the way. Twas only a flesh wound, and thus what would happen if someone slashed at fingers with your standard butcher knife. They don't come off easy.

14. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    If that's the last one I have not seen it yet. I was building the Globe theater in the 9th grade and I wound up bleeding on the stage. My teacher thought it was a hoot. I was building it in 8ths and I had the stage already attached and there was just no way I building it again. I was cutting a piece of balsa wood and it had too much wood in it and it wouldn't cut so like you I just applied more pressure and oops then it sliced through it and part of my thumb. I got an A on the project because of my detail. I built each bannister and it had real pews and a thatched roof and I mounted it on a ceiling tile and spread sand over it to make it look like dirt. And I built posterboard Romeo and Juliet and gave them hair courtesy of my Sheltie's tail --- Mom was not happy about that. And we had a trapdoor for the ghost and all.

15. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Thumbs bleed a lot. My art teacher looked like she was going to pass out when I walked over, hand covered in blood, and saying calmly that I was going to go down to the nurse's office. I still have the scar. Such a tiny thing, but so much blood.

16. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    Mine didn't scar -- we pulled it together with butterfly stitches and wrapped it. I was very proud of the construction. I used pins inserted into the pailing for the bannisters and then elmers glue on the cut pins. I don't even have pics of it. Guess I didn't plan ahead on that one. I'm like that with the crochet blankets I make as gifts -- I only have a pic of very few of those.

17. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I love crocheting. I currently have an Alakazam plushie on the table which I need to finish off. First time making a plushie. :3

18. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    My favorite pattern is the Fisherman's Star which I have been doing now for about 30 years I guess -- I love it because it's mathmatical and I have it memorized. I have one called Filet of Teddy Bears --- but that one is tough. I am currently working on The Parade of Teddy Bears which I like. And the Fisherman's Star I mostly do the size that is a baby blanket size -- but I have converted to bedsize -- but I think I am done with that size as it takes me too many months to make. The Baby Blanket size takes me about 3 or 4 weeks. I used to be able to do it in 10 days --- but I have carpal tunnel in both wrists so my doc advised me to slow down and not do as much. I will have to get a pic of the most recent one I finished that does not have a home yet and I will post the pic probably in a couple weeks. My Mom can knit and does nice sweaters.

19. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I only know single, double, and clamshell. Alakazam is all single stitch, spiral pattern to reduce striping. But, yeah, hellish on the wrists and hands. Do your knuckles hurt after a while? I start to get a claw hand if I crochet for too long.

20. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    Yes, the claw hand - I do get sometimes. I have a tendancy to crochet really fast and the faster I go the tighter I hold things. I have these foam cushions made from Boyle that I have put on all of my hooks which helps me and I never crochet without my brace - left hand that is -- which is weird because I'm right handed -- I think it has something to do with the tension I hold on the yarn which is of course the left hand. And the knuckles --- well them and all of my joints ache as I don't have the natural liquid cushioning you're supposed to have. So I am creeky and I pop joints sometimes without even trying. Boy -- you must be a nightowl like me.

21. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    First a bunch of cat talk now, crocheting?? o_O I'm getting a little concerned.
    :p

I'm actually sitting under a gigantic blanket my roommate knitted, the thing is at least 10 feet long and 6 feet wide... she just kept going and going. We call is snuggles.

Gemma likes this.
  22. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    This is what happens when the lunatics take over the asylum... ;)

Juliet316, Gemma, TrakNar and 2 others like this.
  23. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I just finished my Alakazam plushie and I'll take pics of it shortly. Making a plushie was fun, so I want to make more. But, the claw hand. I may try putting a cushy grip on my hooks and see if that helps, as I'm using a tiny and holding it really tight.

Edit: My plushie. :3

24. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    Just viewed the Plushie --- it remind me of two things -- 1) Salacious Crumb and 2) a Gremlin.

With crocheting there is a method to my madness. I love to munch on things like chips and cheetos and such while watching TV and when I crochet -- this keep my hands busy so I do not eat. Plus as a secretary it works out the fingers from the daily typing that is when I was working -- on a hiatus right now. And since my weightloss of 50 lbs -- I no longer have to worry about the munching as those things now literally make me sick now -- I can no longer tolerate the fat content in them -- which is a good thing.

I remembered that slasher flick that I enjoyed the other day that has a few neat plot twists and is the better than average slasher flick -- You're Next.

Yes, that's what I love about homemade blankets they are really warm and if you find the right fabric they also can be quite warm and really soft. My latest discovery is a yarn called Snuggly Wuggly -- it's a baby sport weight but it is also good for bedsize projects. I tried a bedsize project once with Pound of Love -- this blanket was for a king size bed and when I pulled it out of the dryer the end rows had stretched all out of shape -- I was in tears as I had spent months making it and it was a wedding gift for a dear friend. I showed it to her in private and she said it didn't matter as those would be off the side of the bed anyway. I felt devastated and told her I would make her another in a product I knew would work -- but she said no it was okay.

25. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I had a freaky night last night. I was falling asleep with Mabel beside me and my covers over my nose. Mabel was curled up, asleep. Soon, I felt something on the foot end of the bed and thought Mabel moved. Then, it left. Mabel was still where she was sleeping. Then, I felt something sit on the bed near my head and start to pull down the covers.

I flipped my arms up and it went away. I laid there for a minute and checked to see that Mabel was still curled up beside me.

What the actual hell. Most likely dreaming while in the hypnogogic state of sleep, but still quite freaky.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.