main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    It was me. I like to see your face when I watch you sleep.

I hate having or feeling like there is someone else (besides my cat) in the room with me when I'm trying to fall asleep). As a little kid, I slept with my older sister, who is a VERY violent sleeper and talks in her sleep. I hate sleeping with her the odd time I have to. When our grandfather died I had a choice between sharing a very small bed with her, or couch surfing at some old ladies house (it was my grandmother's best friend). I chose the love-seat at the stranger's house (and I'm 5'11). I swear I'll never get married, just because I hate sleeping with other people.

TrakNar, Goodwood and Gemma like this.
  2. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    LOL about sleeping with other people. I have a double bed in my house that I like to sprawl out (I'm on the flip side of you I'm 5' even) in the middle of it of which Max takes a small corner. But when I had my heart surgery in 2011 I was not allowed to push myself up in the morning to get out of the bed because of the ribcage healing. So my Mom came to my house which is just next door thankfully and stay with me at night. Well I found out my Mom talks in her sleep and I don't mean mumbles -- she was talking clearly like she was awake -- freaked me out. I was glad when that month was over. I do want to share my life with someone but I too wonder about sleeping arrangements. I can't stand a snorer -- I have catlike hearing (and I know this for a fact -- I was tested and I hear in the cat range) -- it's a blessing and a curse sometimes. A few times I have shared a room at hotels for sci-fi cons and I think how am I ever going to do this with my hearing. My grandparents (who's house I now live in) used to sleep in separate rooms because my Grandad went to bed early and my Grammie was a nightowl and he snored loudly too.

3. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I have a queen size bed that I got out of pure sarcasm. Basically, my grandparents (on my mother's side) were getting a king size bed and when my uncles were bringing in the new bed they asked my grandma what she wanted to do with the "old" one (it was actually only 3 years old, and it is a nice pillow-top bed), she was thinking about putting it in the spare room, but then my grandfather was wondering what they were going to do with the bed in that room. So I (100% sarcastically) said that they could give it to me because I was sleeping on a really hard double mattress on the ground. My grandma said, no, why bring up that old bed, just give Bri the one they are taking out of our room. So they did. I was like, what? Ok.

My father was also notorious for talking in his sleep. I swear both he and my sister would have conversations. Horrible story time: before my dad died, he was rather sickly, so I would spend weeks living between him in his one bedroom apartment and my mother's (about 3 hours away). The last night I was with him, I was tired and crabby (I had to leave at like 5am that morning) and I guess I wanted the bed to myself and he was talking in his sleep, so I kicked him out of the bed we shared and he (at 6'3") had to sleep on the love-seat. A few weeks later he died. Looking back on it, I laugh. I was a horrible person, but karma came to bite me. I've had to sleep on love-seats more than once.

4. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    Oh Briannakin, I'm so sorry to hear that you've lost your Dad. You're far too young to have him gone. I'm more than double your age and I still have both of my parents. You must be a strong one, I'm not. They will have to find me a rubber room when I lose either one of mine.

Okay change of subject. I have an advantage when it comes to love-seats -- I fit pretty well on those - only being 5 ft.

And for those of us out there -- that love our kitties and cats in general--- during the Super Bowl this weekend -- the Hallmark Channel is running a 3 hour Kitten Bowl. Unfortuately I don't get that channel. There is also a Puppy Bowl on the Animal Planet Channel -- I don't get that channel either. Tune in to the animal bowls if you have those channels.

5. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Gemma: if you can find either Kitten Bowl or Puppy Bowl on the internet that's viewable in the UK that would be amazing! So much cute must be shared. :D

Oh, and keep an eye out for the new Cheerios ad. It's just adorable.

Gemma likes this.
  6. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I used to talk in my sleep, but I don't think I do anymore... or no one has mentioned it. I do half wake up/half still dreaming and look for things or put clothes on, or any number of really random things. I remember doing it, I just usually don't remember why. (I did it a few times last night in addition to waking up in a panic over who knows what 4 or 5 times. [face_tired])

After I worked night shift for 3 years, I can sleep through just about anything if I'm going to actually sleep. Snoring doesn't really bother me, I can tune it out... grinding teeth however, I can't handle.

I love the puppy bowl! This year they have penguin cheerleaders. :D

Juliet316 likes this.
  7. Ewok_Slayer

Ewok_Slayer Jedi Master star 2

Nov 24, 2004
    Maybe it was your Alakazam plushie come to life. [face_worried]

TrakNar likes this.
  8. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    I go on trips with my mom and she is a notorious snorer (in Dutch she is cutting a whole forest during one night)
    I just don the earplugs I got when I was an active fire fighter (using jaws of life or a chainsaw is very noisy too)

9. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    I've been told that I talk in my sleep, apparently quite clearly, though no one will tell me what it is I say. I've also had experience in sharing a room with another person, and unfortunately their nocturnal behaviors far eclipsed my own or those of anyone else posted here.

I'll spare you lot the details.

10. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Ten out of the eleven years I was in the Army I had a roommate. I dont like roommates. The first three years I lived in an all female barracks nicknamed The WAC Shack. Lol! No men allowed. Eventually alarms were put on the exterior doors. The first week of having those alarms I didn't get any sleep. Those damn alarms went off every hour.

I snore when my allergies act up. I thought I had sleep apnea, but I had a sleep study done and they said it wasn't bad enough for a CPAC machine.

Gemma likes this.
  11. Luminous beings are we...

Luminous beings are we... Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 19, 2013
    I hope last night was a better one for you, Trak.

12. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    It was a better night, not as creepy. I slept great. I'm at my half-brother's, currently. Tomorrow, I head home to curl up with Mabel and finally clean my apartment.

As for nocturnal habits... I talk in my sleep, I've woken myself up while fighting in my sleep, I kick, I have sleepwalked in the past few years, and occasionally have night terrors.

13. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    Gush are we a bunch (a good bunch though in our similarities). I have night terrors too. When I lived at home with my parents and sister --- I used to bolt from my room screaming Mom at the top of my lungs and I was running full tilt and I was still not be awake. My Mom would greet me in the hall and have to shake me awake. One time my younger sister had come out of her room and intersected me and I bodily slammed into her but she held her ground and shook me till I woke. It's weird I go long stretches without them and then they occur again --- I've been told they are caused by stress. When I moved out -- it was the worst because I had no-one to wake me and I would get all of the way down my hall before I woke. The worst one I had was my night mare stalker told me that the only way I could leave the collasping room was to throw my glasses to the floor which I did and then bolted from the room but not before I grabbed my cell phone and at some point I stumbled and cut my eyebrow --- I ran down my steps --- now I can't see for two reasons I don't have my glasses and am legally blind without them and there's blood running into my eye from the cut -- till this very day we still don't know what I cut myself on. By the time my Mom got to my back door she was horrified by my look of a blood covered face. We went back to the bedroom to get my glasses and then to her house for first aid.

I had to warn a roommate at a convention about my night terrors and I'm glad I did cause I had one that night. I had one the other day. Now since I live alone I scream NO instead of Mom. My poor Mom actually heard me through the thin walls of our homes and came tearing over to my house to make sure I was all right -- Lord I love my parents.

But now here's a funny. When I bought my grandparents house -- I told my Mom we have to insulate the bedroom wall against yours. My Mom looks at me and asks why. I blush and turn away and mumble under my breath --cause I'm a screamer. Mom goes TMI and laughs at me.

And here's what a wonderful Mom I have -- one year she recorded the SuperBowl and deleted all of the football and saved the commercials so I could see all of the commercials without having to zip through the game. My Mom is wonderful -- my sister and I got the best when it comes to parents.

14. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    You Americans with your 'football'. JK. I like watching the commercials, but I'll be out most of tomorrow. My sister, her bf, and I are house shopping, They are looking for their first house and they want to get one with a suit so I can pay them rent and help with the money. We've looked at three places so far, two were bad, but one was a slight possibility with some work. But 2 tomorrow look promising.

It sounds like you really lucked out with your parents. I love my mom and I loved my dad, but they made some poor, selfish, decisions in their lives that affected their kids. My sister and I will be the first to tell you our parents should have never had gotten married, and my half-brothers will join us in saying the same about our mom and my step-dad (I hate that man). My sister and I are best friends because as kids we were shipped around to different relatives. We are very different people (I'm the cold analytical nerd, and she's the mushy, artsy-fartsy one), but we have been through a lot.

As for being blind without my glasses on, I can COMPLETELY understand that one. My best friend is getting married and I had to get some cheep glasses (they were like 15 dollars) to match the bride's theme. At first she was kinda irked (I cant wear contacts), but then she saw them and loved them.

15. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    Well good luck with the house shopping. My house needs a ton of repairs but I do love it. And I am very attached to my Mom and Dad, yes, My Sis and I did luck out -- we count our blessings on that one everyday. I often get teased by friends that I never really moved out since I live literally like right next door -- My door and theirs is like 10 ft from one another - they are adjoined row homes. Well growing up my sister wanted to kill me we are 5 years apart and I'm the older, but when Babysis turned 21 -- we ironed our differences and now are very tight. She draw and can write --- I dabble in writing, but have not written in a long long time. She's an accountant for SSA and by trade when working I am an secretary by nature and am good at book-keeping.

You'll probably faint when I tell you how much my glasses cost --- I have fallen in love with this Nike frame that has magnetic clips for the sunglasses part ($400+ just for the frames) and my progressive lenses cost anywhere from $600 to $700 --- luckily I have found an internet site where I can get the frames for $250. I have to get the thinner ground lenses in the middle since my RX is so thick --- so my lashes don't touch the lenses -- long lashes and a thick RX are not a good mix. I had contact lenses when I was young 16 thru 18 --- you know like for when I was costuming as (Leia and Vasquez-Aliens) and my prom, but after that I gave up on the contacts because of my allergies. I take pills that dry up my sinuses and my eyes -- so I was constantly wetting my eyes.

I will never forget the time I met Jennette Goldstein who played Vasquez from Aliens and I did that costume and handed off my glasses to someone and had them show me where to act to on stage since she was sitting in the audience and I had friends watching her for her the reaction --- I was told I made her jaw drop and I won 2nd place for recreation which was cool. The guys who beat me out did costumes from Labyrinth and they looked so good they looked like they had walked out of the movie screen.

BTW -- you're as tall as Sigourney Weaver --- do you costume??? --- you'd make a great Ripley.

I'm excited about my weightloss as now most of my old costumes fit again. I have Leia (Hoth) Leia (Endor) and I did what looks like a female Han Solo only she carries a dagger which my Dad made me (it's acrylic and very cool). I have my Vasquez one and a BattleStar one. Mom made all but my BattleSar one - that one I bought. And she made me a black Jedi Cloak that is gorgeous which I used for my LadyHawke costume. But I have not costumed at the cons in years since most did not fit till recently plus it's more fun when you have someone to costume with.

I don't like the Football BTW -- I'd much rather be horseback riding which I have not done since like 1983. I love the new commericals though. And I wish I got the Hallmark Channel :_| -- I would love to watch the Kitten Bowl.

16. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I wanna watch the kitten bowl :( Alas, I don't have digital cable. Hopefully there will be highlights on YouTube

I don't costume (other than Halloween) as I live in butt-nowhere and would have no where to do so. Also my choices for authentic looking costuming are limited. There's Professor X (friends are always begging me to buy a bald-cap), Captain Pike (which I did last year) and Barbara Gordon as the Oracle (which, if I ever go to a ComicCon, I'm totally doing). Being 5' 11'' is no good when you are a crip (actually, no, I love being a tall crip, I can reach pretty much what standing people can if I sit on one of my wheels).

17. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Briannakin: I'm actually just a hair taller than you, at a little over 5'11".

18. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    Oh Sweetie, and I apologize if you don't like the endearment -- it's an old habit of mine --- had no idea you were in a wheelchair. BTW -- I have no idea what you are majoring in at the University you mention. But I have always teased about finding a college student and offering to let them do a medical paper on me. I have almost something going on with every organ in my body --- although I have loving parents -- if they had lived in the movie Gattaca --- they would have been banned from having kids. Medically they have tons of things wrong and I got almost everything they both have wrong. Long story short my first problems showed at age 9 and at 19 things exploded, again at 29 --then 32 -- 41 and 43. I literally pray the docs will find nothing more wrong with me. I am still mobile -- but I see knee and hip replacements in my future. What I need is a whole new body with some tweeks for my brain ---- I can't tell you what I wouldn't give to be able to give up my 3 main ailments that plague me every day. It's one of the reasons I will never have children --- I decided at 32 that I would not curse a child with my medical problems. So I have furry kids instead, currently -- My Max.

Yeah, I want to see the Kitten Bowl too. Like you said hopefully YouTube will have some of it.

I had to look up your Barbara Gordon as Oracle --- I don't do comic book stuff --- although I bought the collected Anniversary Edition so I could read about Luke and Mara's wedding. If you ever do the costume and feel comfortable with sharing a pic --- would love to see it.

19. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Wait.... what?! Is this the same friend that didn't want you to use your wheelchair?Did she expect you to get glasses that matched since you can't wear contacts?

Count me into the completely non-functional without corrective lenses of some kind. I need to go to the optometrist soon, I've been getting more headaches than usual which is usually a sign that my Rx has changed. At least now that I'm an adult I can stretch out the need for a new Rx ever year and a half to two years, when I was younger it was less than 6 months. 8-}

20. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I'm fine without my glasses, unless I'm asked to read something. Can't read street signs, can't read books or the newspaper without holding it mere inches from my face, can't read anything on TV without getting up close, can't read the computer unless my face is up against the screen... My eyesight changed quite a bit since my last pair of glasses, which I keep around as a spare. The only problem is I can't see out of them any more! XD

Gemma likes this.
  21. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    There are various apps for phones that record you when you talk in your sleep. If you're that curious you might want to try one. My younger brother once sleepwalked into our parents room, picked up dad's watch, and asked 'is this for sale?' Dad replied 'no' so my brother put the watch down and went back to bed.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  22. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Goodwood, I was always a bit disappointed that I didn't make it quite to 6 feet. But considering all the women in my family are like 5'2", I'll take it. Almost giants, UNITE!

Gemma, a lot of people online don't know I'm a crip (except for these weirdos :p). It just doesn't come up, so don't apologize. I know all about needing a new body. I'm a crip because of a brain injury as a baby, and my pancreas stopped working when I was 14 (thanks Dad for that one). Oh yes, and I'm a History major. I hate science.

Same friend. She didn't directly tell me that she wanted me to wear contacts, but when I showed her some options that would match her 50s theme (all under $20), she was kinda miffed that I wasn't just going to wear contacts. She knows I can't. [Oh yes, more drama on that front, we ordered the dresses, but she forgot to do the conversion from us to Canadian dollars. So what we thought were $95 dresses (at the high end for some of the other girl's budgets, they had said $100 MAX) ended up being $130 even with her contribution of $50 to each dress). I'm fine with paying it, but I found it really inconsiderate].

23. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Briannakin I hope you don't take this the wrong way…but I have a feeling your friend is a CRAZY BRIDEZILLA! How did you get roped into being a bridesmaid? [face_tired]

24. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I may have to get that app, moosemousse - just to see if I do still talk in my sleep.

Briannakin - I'm with J_L, that's quite some bridezilla-ness. You already told us she kinda was, but that's just something else. The fact that you were willing to get glasses to match the theme is, to me, going to extremes. I wouldn't have done that even for my oldest friend... unless she wanted to pay for them.

25. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I am dying from an overload of cuteness. I am watching the Hallmark Channel and the kitty bowl. I don't know if it is last years or a preview of this years show. They are soooooo cute. The referee called in a touchdown and one kitten must not have liked the call and attacked his pants. lol! They are so athletic. Tomcat Brady and Terry Bradpaws are looking good. [face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.