main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    It's been icing all night, and there's a coating of ice pellets that's starting to freeze in a solid sheet. I put down cat litter for traction (I found I had an extra jug stashed in the coat closet), but those sidewalks are going to be ice rinks.

Today, I went to the mall and took a shirt to Spencers to remove the ink tag. I bought the shirt about two weeks ago, and they never removed the ink tag. This is twice that they've accidentally left a security/ink tag on an item I bought.

2. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    I don't think I could deal with those temps Briannakin. I was thinking of you and temps a week or so ago it was like 10F for us and that is darn cold for me. Makes my joints ache. We are currently getting rain which I am glad is not snow they are predicting a foot of snow for my area this weekend -- Yuck!! And it's so freaky -- we hit 50F this week and it was like tropical compared to the low temps of 20F and 10F; but you're talking like zero degrees and 10 below --- My Lord I think you live on Hoth.

And TrakNar -- those tags --- I watch the store people like a hawk when I buy anything that has those tags on them. Well everybody try to keep warm.

3. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    It was suggested I call Spencers about the tag issue, as I might be able to get a coupon out of the hassle.

4. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    That may work -- especially with the price of gas these days -- having to go all the way back to the store and all.

5. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    edit: double post. It's so cold that the internet is stalling.

Winter has come.

6. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Our Winners in town is notorious for not taking those ink tags off. It is so bad that they sometimes don't even want to see the receipt when you take it back to get it removed. But I would ask about getting a discount because of the hassle. You never know.

I did the conversion and -32C is actually around -22F and -40 is the meeting point of C and F. But yeah, it's darn nippy. It's not to bad unless it's windy. THEN you are going to have a baaad time. Windchills are what you have to look out for. But yeah, this type of cold makes my joints hurt too. Thankfully I'm not outside much and the University has pretty reliable heat. However, my high school didn't. We used to keep blankets and stuff in our lockers, it was that cold, and if you were one of the unlucky few to have a class in one of the portable classrooms out back (I did), then may God have mercy on your soul.

7. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Briannakin If you want to be an American, then Michigan is a pretty nice state. The Metro Detroit area has some pretty good real estate (condos, apartments as well as houses), and home prices in Detroit itself are pretty low.

Besides, I live here, so it can't be so bad, right?

8. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    crap, double post

9. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Winter has stalled your Internets, too.

10. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    So it would seem.

Also, I seem to have lost my cell phone. There's a possibility that it may have fallen from my pocket into the parking lot...which is under four inches of snow right now. So, goodbye mr. cell phone. Good thing you only cost about $40.

11. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    It's also off, as it went straight to voicemail when I tried to ring you.

Looks like you'll have to get a new phone.

As for me, I need to go out and finish shoveling.

12. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    It's not all that cold here right now, but it's been snowing at 2-3 inches an hour since 0530... luckily they knew it was coming and have been clearing it as it falls (or so I've been told, I'm at work and will be until 1930). (I think it may have slowed down now, but it's certainly still snowing a lot.
    It's the really heavy, wet snow since it's kinda warm (currently 33F, feels like 22F), so that should be fun to shovel. ;)

13. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    So, now we have strong winds to jostle around the ice from the ice storm.

Let the blackouts commence!

14. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I hope everyone is staying safe in the crazy weather. [:D] I wish I could share some of mine with all you ones miserable in the ice and snow. It's overcast and probably between 50-60 F with a light drizzle earlier this morning now it's dry.

15. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    We didn't get much of the snow around here, just a little ice that closed the museum where I volunteer. But now we're getting the high wind...either that, or I think aliens just tried to kidnap my roof.

16. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    It is somewhat nice up here. I took my vehicle out of 4-wheel drive for the first time in a month. There was actually no snow on the paved roads. The bad weather skipped right under where I live. I don't know how long my luck will hold out. It is supposed to snow tomorrow.

17. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    Yeah my area has the high winds tonight and my poor sister's apple tree in her backyard took our her electric last night. We had a lot of rain last night and today -- but are due for snow (possibly a foot) this weekend. Yuck!! And I want to know where all of the little kids are that used to knock on the door and ask for money to shovel the walks. When I was young enough to do it without much aches they always came around, but now they're scarce and no where. I HATE snow! They only kind I like is the kind that doesn't lay on the sidewalks or comes and goes in the same day.

18. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    The weather seems to be undecided about this weekend's storm. My local station is saying light snow.

19. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    Well I live in the state below you TrakNar and I'm going by Farmer's Almanac. And honestly I don't know how these people can predict a whole year in advance but unfortunately they are usually dead on. I have plans for Feb 14th weekend and I am praying that the storm they are predicting for Monday 17th (of 12 to 17 inches) stays on Monday and does not strand me at the hotel I will be staying at. I don't mind being stranded with friends but it's the extended hotel bill I don't want.

20. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, well given the Farmer's Almanac said it was supposed to be a blizzard in NY/NJ on Super Bowl Sunday, I'm going with it not always being accurate.;)

Edit: Though the Broncos would have probably have wanted one by the end of the first quarter.

21. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Okay, I think I hurt a person's feelings today. That woman that always talks to me in the gym saw me today. She is all excited and said she missed me (I didn't see her for a couple weeks) and then she said, "I bet you missed me."

Okay, I don't even remember this person's name. I thought she was joking. Why would she say that? I am almost a complete stranger. I told her, "Uhhh, no not really."

She gets all pouty and said, "I thought we were friends, close friends."

I am still wondering if she is punking me. I was speechless for a moment and said, "I didn't know that."

Then she is upset because she thought we were BFFs or something. I told her I don't dislike her, I just don't know her. She then said we can fix that and get to know each other better. I am now creeped out beyond belief. This is just too weird for me. I know there are some super outgoing people out there, but this puts me out of my comfort zone. I told her I don't do well with friends.

She then stopped talking to me and left without saying goodbye...which she usually does quite adamantly.

Was I rude? Why do I feel bad about this. I didn't want to lie to this person. How should I have handled this?

22. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Jedi_Lover - I don't think that was the wrong thing to do, unless of course you wanted to make friends with her, but it sounds like that's not the case. I'm sure she'll get over it. (And hey, at least you won't have naked lady talking to you anymore!) It sounds like she's an extrovert and makes friends everywhere she goes and doesn't understand that not everyone wants to talk to random people.

23. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    I'm with mavjade on this one, J_L. There really wasn't any "right" way to handle such a situation; considering that you are definitely keen to get away from this woman, you were actually quite civil. Put it out of your mind, it's just how life works sometimes.

24. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I agree. If you don't even know her name, it would be kinda rude and definetly awkward to pretend like you know her and be like all "Hey... you..." every time you see her. I think Mav hit it on the head. She seems like a VERY extroverted person and people who are at the extreme can't understand or relate to introverts. You were civil and that's all you need to be concerned about.

25. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I've never dealt with anyone like that, but if I do, I'll most likely default to how you handled it.

And as for the rumored big storm, it's looking less and less likely. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.