main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sokolniki

Sokolniki Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 7, 2014
    On the issue of counterfeits, one of the cashiers at my work place got a stern talking too by the higher ups about what was obviously a counterfeit $20 was found in her drawer (Kind of easy to spot when it's much larger than all the other $20s in the stack) and her response, rendering all their criticisms null and void... "You let a trainee work cash on MY drawer."

It's so fun watching managers have to shut up because it was them who broke protocol.

2. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Do you often sit around sniffing your money? :p

I am limping around because of yesterday being outside and walking. I have a torn or severely pulled ligament in my foot. I am supposed to wear a soft toe splint, but when it is cold it causes a lot of pain since it goes around my toes and restricts circulation. So I didn't wear it and this morning I woke up with my foot feeling like it is broken. I may have to break down and get that operation. :(

3. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    Man, that protocol was SAD at my McDonald's. Often times backend crew or maintenance were signed on to cash tills, and people hopped between them so often that it was impossible to track where an error might have been made. Not to mention they continued to sign tills on in MY name long after I'd transferred to another location. The excuse I was given by my friend, who was another manager, was that I'd worked so often that my number was often the first number the cash managers thought of when signing on tills.

4. Sokolniki

Jan 7, 2014

In other words, if they wanted to fire someone over a very big mistake or theft, unless they had camera footage of the event happening plainly enough to tell that it was it, they wouldn't know who to fire.

5. TheChosenSolo

Dec 9, 2011
    I had a friend who was falsely accused of just an act. Now I see the implications of what that could mean...

6. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    I survived for a bit over a year at a 7-Eleven. No way in Hoth would you ever get me to work at a McDonald's or other fast-food place.

7. Sokolniki

Jan 7, 2014
    I presently work for a Wendy's. It certainly isn't ideal for someone could cut through a full fledged Steel I-Beam in less than thirty seconds with an Acetylene cutting torch or guide a crane operator by radio to within a quarter of an inch of the of the precise location that five tons of sensitive equipment needs to be. (God I miss working construction :'( ), but it is certainly better than nothing.

Thankfully, my store isn't a god forsaken wreck the the aforementioned McDonalds was.

8. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    In terms of money...

I once found half of a $10 bill. I tried to cash it in for a full ten, but that didn't work, so I suggested they give me a five. No dice. It ended up being tacked to a wall with a Post-It underneath saying "Well, I wanted to break a ten..."

In terms of fast food and convenience store jobs...

Never had any, so I can't comment. I stuck to manufacturing and custodial jobs.

9. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Not sure about US laws, but in Canada, you need both serial numbers for it to be considered legal tender, so as long as you have both halves, you are fine, but with the new bills you have to deliberately cut the new bills with scissors in order to have that problem.

Yeah, I can't say I've had any fast food jobs and I plan to keep it that way. My only job ever was a cashier at my aunt's Christmas tree farm. I sat in -30 degree weather, measured trees (the cost of the tree depended on its height) and took money. There were HOURS when I did nothing but stoke the fire. It was boring, but it paid cash, and I got to 'patrol' on a snowmobile.

10. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    In the US, as long as you have 51% or more of the bill, a bank should exchange it for you. I worked as a teller while I was in college... I loved that job! If it paid more than minimum wage, I would go back to it in a heart beat.
    We would sometimes train people on our drawer for a few days, but you stood right there and watched every move they made and you were responsible for everything they did.(This was also after they went to teller school and learned everything with fake money) Once they went to doing transactions on their own, they had their own drawer and their own unique teller number.

I'm back home in WV for a visit, and my parents internet is soooo slow, it's driving me crazy! They have DSL, so I guess it's not actually slow, but it's so much slower than the FiOS I'm used to.

11. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Too bad that bill was exactly half. Might've been 51%. I have it somewhere, I just don't know where.

12. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    At least it was a found bill and you weren't screwed out of ten bucks of your own money...

13. TheChosenSolo

Dec 9, 2011
    Believe me, neither I nor my parents wanted me working at McDonald's. Problem was, no one else would hire me, and I probably wouldn't have even made it in to McDonald's if it weren't for my cousin who worked there and was a Crew Trainer. Right from the get-go, my goal was to work hard and get promoted, and I did. It was great until last summer-ish, when the head manager left, was replaced by someone I didn't have an excellent rapport with, and I transferred to the Walmart location across the street, which exists primarily for development and promotion. Sure, I got to do what I enjoyed for a little while there, being in charge of the close, counting the safe and filing all the daily paperwork and such. But then even that was taken from me by mid-December.

14. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    This comic hit me so hard in the feels. I miss my Yellow team so much.

15. Sokolniki

Jan 7, 2014
    I had a flying type (Or evolves into flying type) teams on all my games.

Oddly enough, I never had an issue with Whitney's Miltank. The movesets of various basic flying types simply made it a non-issue.

16. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I bet all the batteries in my old Pokemon games are dead by now. :(

I had an exciting email today. A while ago I emailed a sword maker about an apprenticeship position he had available. Today I got an email detailing the next step in applying for it. Unfortunately the process will take two months and I'm not fully recovered enough to return to work, let alone relocate to Scotland. Kind of sad really, but I had a look into Historical European Martial Arts and there's a club near me. I'll definitely have to look into that. It was my mum who suggested that I do that and it seems that learning how to fight with historical European swords could happen!

mavjade: it's the same in the UK in that you have to have 51% of a note in order to get it replaced. It kind of makes sense in that it should stop people cutting up or damaging notes to get two pieces and trying to exchange both for new notes.

17. Sokolniki

Jan 7, 2014
    "All currency in circulation is routinely deposited to Federal Reserve Banks by commercial banks. Worn notes are systematically destroyed by Federal Reserve Banks during ordinary currency processing. The destroyed notes are replaced by new currency provided by the Bureau of Engraving and Printing. The note most frequently replaced is the $1 denomination. There are over four billion $1 bills in circulation, and the life expectancy of each is approximately 18 months. Since larger denominations are handled less, they last longer.

When a note is partially destroyed, the Treasury Department will replace it if clearly more than half of the original remains. Fragments of mutilated currency which are not clearly more than one half of the original whole note may be exchanged only if the Director of the Bureau of Engraving and Printing is satisfied by the evidence presented that the missing portions have been totally destroyed."

From the U.S. Secret Service Site.

For those who may be confused by that previous comment... yes, the Secret Service handles counterfeiting enforcement along with protecting National/Visiting Government Leaders and officials.

18. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Yep, that's exactly why, moose.
    When I worked as a teller, we had a section in our drawer for damaged or really old bills. We had to count them as part of our drawer but then every so often (usually when we had enough to make it worth while) we would send them back to the federal reserve to have them destroyed.

19. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    This is yet another reason why dollar bills in the US should be phased out in favor of the dollar coin, and why Canada did it already.

Silly Americans are silly...

jcgoble3 likes this.
  20. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    In a month time all those Government Leaders and officials are here for the nuclear summit. And that will result in quite a large traffic problem and a lot of planning to do

21. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    I bet that sounds like fun!

It's such a small country, though, where you live. Will you be able to fit them all in? ;)

22. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Noordwijk and The Hague will get the large companies.
    Noordwijk has two large hotels at the beach

23. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Canada: Where our money looks like monopoly money and we have no pennies, but instead glow-in-the-dark coins with dinosaurs on them (sadly they were never circulated and cost like $25).

But seriously, Canadian money makes more sense. Except for the idea to have a $5 coin. That has been going around for a while now. That's not going to work.

24. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Well, if Star Wars is any indication, paper money will eventually go the way of the dodo anyway. It'll either be coins, chips, chits, or credcards.

Gosh, that's a lot of C-words.

25. TheChosenSolo

Dec 9, 2011
    I honestly miss $1 and $2 bills. Having loonies and toonies really adds weight to my pocket change, and it's not exactly desirable. Returning to the States was a Godsend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.