main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Can I make you feel old? The Loonie was around before I was, and I was a toddler when the toonie was introduced.

So, if anyone says middle child syndrome isn't real, is a liar. My mother forgot to pick me up on the way home :( I feel soooooo loved.

2. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    It can't be any worse than being the second of the "older generation" children, e.g., when your parents have another set of kids about ten to fifteen years (or more) after you're born.

They can do no wrong, and you can do no right.

3. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Ha! I'm in the can't-do-no-wrong second set of kids from my parents. My older siblings had to babysit me and my younger brother.

4. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    I was an only child for almost 4 years. Best time of my life.

5. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I'm the baby, gotta love me. ;)

Ugh... no. Every time I get $1 coins back from a vending machine or, any thing else, I get really angry. I don't want coins, ever. (I had stopped using cash all together until I moved to Boston where it's almost necessary to carry cash.)
    And to be honest, they kinda tried, more than once, but $1 coins just never caught on. The only way they would be able to do it would be to just stop circulating the bills. I'd rather us do something a little more productive like switch to metric.

6. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I agree. I hate coins and I have never used a dollar coin that I recall. They sit in a jar on my dresser. I also almost never carry cash. I put everything on my credit card. The only time I will go and get some cash is when I know I'm only going to spend a couple dollars. I hate using the credit card for anything under $10. You know what we should get rid of is pennies. Round everything up or down to the nearest nickel.

7. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    You lot are all wimps and/or loom-smashing Luddites! :p:cool:

8. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I have a friend with 3 brothers, all at least 18 years older than him. His oldest brother is 24-25 years older than him. The oldest is a senior physics professor at the university and my friend is a computer science undergrad at the same university. Friends of ours have had his brother for a prof, which is pretty weird.

Canada has gone penny-less for about a year now and I love it. Make my purse so much lighter. My sister claims to have figured out the system: pay cash when they have to round down and pay on a card when they would have rounded up. I'm like OK, you do that and get an extra $1.15 every year. I'll just save my brainpower. But they are now apparently thinking of nixing the nickle as well, I can't see it happening though.

9. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I'm an only child, so I got 100% of my parents' attention (when they weren't fighting with each other, but that's a different story).

I love dollar coins; if my credit union kept them in stock I'd get a couple dozen each month and spend them. The problem is that they're rare here and thus many cashiers will mistake them for quarters (especially when they're busy and working fast), so you have to pay attention to your change to make sure you don't get shorted.

Pennies are evil; that is all. I would be totally in favor of eliminating the penny, and ditch the nickel while you're at it. With today's prices, there's no need for more than one decimal place. The Star Wars galaxy works fine with decicreds as the smallest unit (per the Dining at Dex's article from the old Hyperspace club), so why can't we?

And yes, American money is boring. I want our bills to look like Canada's!

10. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Hey now, I've worked registers for a huge portion of my adult life, and have NEVER mistaken dollar coins for quarters—and I'm blind as a bat! Seriously, if I can get by working cashier jobs and not make such silly mistakes, anyone should be able to deal with them.

People are stupid.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  11. Katarn's Beard

Katarn's Beard Jedi Knight

Jan 21, 2014
    Coins are awkward to use. I must have about $100 worth of change in my house and car just because I don't want to deal with it. Maybe tomorrow I'll gather it all up and take it to the bank.

Also $1 coins probably would've caught on better if the collectors didn't hoard so many.

12. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Actually, they're snatched up by collectors because, to use an appropriate phrase, the Federal Reserve is constantly nickel-and-diming the populace and not really making the effort to make dollar coins popular for everyday use. The only thing that will really do that is to increase production of the coins and announce a phased withdrawal of the bills.

13. TheChosenSolo

Dec 9, 2011
    Nahh, that'd definitely be more than a buck fifteen! Say you save 2 cents on every transaction, and you make, I dunno, 15 transactions a week. That's 30 cents every week, which amounts to $15.60 a year. Boss :cool:
    And I'm sure I would've heard something from the higher-ups at McDonald's if the government was now gonna phase out the nickel! I only quit a month ago. And from what I heard, we ditched the penny because it cost the Royal Canadian Mint 1.6 cents to make a penny, so we lost money on it.

14. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Here in the U.S., both pennies and nickels cost more to make than their face value. Pennies cost 1.83 cents each, while nickels cost about 11 cents each. President Obama has expressed support for phasing out the penny (one of the very few things I agree with him on, but that's a discussion for a different board) because of that, but with Congress split, I highly doubt anything will ever come of it.

15. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I make like 2-3 transactions on a typical week, so for me it would only be like $2-$3 for me.

I'm sure the nickle thing was just a rumor or something they have only talked about lightly with no concrete decisions. I can't see them doing it either anyways. They only got rid of the penny because they were worth more in copper than they were as currency.

You people have no idea how happy I am that CBC is broadcasting some of the Paralympic games. Back in 2010, CTV broadcasted a ton of stuff because they were in Vancouver and it was so big that CBC is doing it. I am so freaking excited for sledge hockey.

16. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I'm fine with phasing out pennies. Most of mine get dumped into a Coinstar at some point, and I dump all my change into a stormtrooper mug I keep on the kitchen counter. What I value more are quarters, as I use them for laundry.

In terms of sibling status, I'm a middle child. However, my older brother didn't live with us, as he was from my mom's previous marriage. I still got the middle child treatment regardless and my younger brother was very much the baby and the favorite. My mom even told that to my brother, but out of respect, he told my mom to take such nonsense and shove it right up her ass, because he doesn't want to hear it.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  17. TheChosenSolo

Dec 9, 2011
    Not only am I the oldest, I have 2 younger sisters. Sometimes it seems they can do no wrong because they're teenage girls and I'm an adult male.

18. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    My mother's favorite was my older brother (he was the baby of the first set of kids). There were five kids and we all knew my older brother was the favorite and it never bothered us because my older brother was the favorite sibling to all of us. He got along with everybody and was so fun to be around.

I honestly don't think I have a favorite kid. Both of them have their good points and bad points.

Why do people discuss personal information in a public place on a cell phone. This guy near me is saying the cops are looking for him in a robbery. Supposedly, some guy is trying to frame him and I think he and the person on the other end of the phone are now planning the guy's untimely demise. I better get out of here. He keeps walking by and glancing at my computer.

19. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    I'm quite happily an only child- I thought I wanted siblings until I had friends tell me how it was. But now I'm getting all the pressure to be successful since I'm the only child. Sigh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goodwood likes this.
  20. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    JL, I think you might be an extra in a real life action-adventure heist movie ;)

As annoying as they are, I love my siblings. But now I'm thinking the world is ignoring me or I'm turning invisible or something. I was at the bus stop today, and the bus totally just drives by. It's not exactly the most used bus stop, so it has happened to my sister before. It's just kinda annoying because the bus only comes ever hour, so by the time it would have come back again my class would have been half over. So today was a waste of a day.

21. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    That's unfortunate, Bri. [:D]

I'm the elder of twins but I get treated like I'm the baby. Which is extremely annoying.

22. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I could totally be on board with ditching the penny and the nickel!

Ugh, Bri, that's annoying! :(

I'm back in Boston, but my trip from WV was eventful. First the plane coming into WV was late, then we spent 45 minutes on the tarmac waiting for them to de-ice the plane. Usually I only have 45 minutes in Washington to change planes, but I ended up taking a later one this time because it was much cheaper, which is a good thing because I would have missed it. We landed over an hour after we were suppose to land. Then the plane coming into Washington was late setting us back by about 30 minutes and it was quite rough landing in Boston because of the strong winds. 8-} And now I have to work the next 5 days (only one of those being an 8 hour day, the rest 12.5 hours) which I'm not super thrilled about.
    [/mav whining] ;)

23. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Well then mav, here's hoping you get that job you applied for.

24. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Thankfully I had no test and nothing due, so it wasn't that big of deal that I missed my class.

Ugh, Mav. That is extremely annoying. When I went east for my grandfather's funeral, our plane back was almost 4 hours late and the Regina airport isn't the most exciting. There is a coffee shop past the security and that's it. What was even more annoying is that they kept saying the plane was only going to be 30 minutes late. If we would have known, we would have left and gone walking around the city.

But if the new job has better hours, then I hope you get it.

25. Sokolniki

Sokolniki Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 7, 2014
    I find it entertaining when some of my co-workers ask me for some change for gas or something.

I just look at them, eyebrow raised and reply "When have I EVER carried change with me?"

Seriously, I rely entirely on the debit card nowadays unless I have to pay someone back for paying for lunch on a day that I forgot to bring my debit with me.

Btw... paycheck cards SUCK... switch to direct deposit as soon as humanly possible.

As for siblings... I was the second child of five... and when the first born grows into the black sheep of the family, sort of feels crushing to have all the weight of expectation fall on you all of a sudden.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.