main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Thanks for ruining my joke, Captain Buzzkill.

2. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    You're welcome. Blame science.

3. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Jedi_Lover, that accident sounds just terrible--I too hope everyone will be all right.

And TrakNar, I just have to ask--how far along are you now in Lost Pig?

4. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I went to bed soon after getting into the first dungeon, and since I wasn't that far along to begin with, I didn't save, so I'm back at the beginning. It gives me a chance to set my pants ablaze again.

5. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Liar liar, pants on fire!

6. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I should some day consider washing the bowling glove I use as a wrist brace. It smells like feet.

7. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    OK, you've inspired me to revisit Lost Pig now, and I've gotten 3 of 7 points so far. Although I should be editing my paper instead. Ah, Mists!

TrakNar likes this.
  8. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I've been on a 90s kick today. My brother and I are going to our nephew's birthday party at the roller rink and we want to get new rollerblades. We plan to blade around my neighborhood while practicing with nunchucks.

SKATE NINJAS

9. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Have fun! I have immense respect for anyone who can skate in any way, shape, or form, since I can't do so without wiping out miserably.

Meanwhile, as I sit here hammering away at this paper, I've been finding it amusing to note all the words my version of MS Word apparently does not know:

cadential
    melismatic
    metagenre
    partbook
    performative
    textless
    unnotated
    unprefixed
    untexted

(OK, admittedly "unprefixed" is a bit of a stretch. But no "cadential" or "performative"? Really?)

10. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    "unprefixed" is an interesting one-word oxymoron. ;)

moosemousse and jcgoble3 like this.
  11. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    But only if you use it to describe itself!

12. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Now to think of a way to bring that off in dialogue...

...CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

13. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I took a better look at that car accident. There were black skid marks on the pavement from the stop sign and moving across the street until it went into the woods. It looked like the car travelled at least 30 feet up a slight incline and through a number of saplings. So even if there was an ice patch at the stop sign this car was going way too fast. I still haven't heard who was driving.

Then I was parked at the school parking lot when a car (probably driven by a teenager) flew by me at such a high rate of speed I yelled out a religious expletive out of shock (that turned a few heads). The car almost lost control when the driver realized he had to stop at an intersection. There are kids walking around everywhere and some idiot is drag racing in a parking lot. The car was going too fast to get a tag number.

I think everybody is getting cabin fever up here and going crazy.

14. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Findswoman Did you draw your own avatar? I'm curious...

15. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Alas, I did not--a friend drew it several years ago. It's the best I have for now. I have very little visual arts ability to speak of, or I'd try my hand at drawing something similar myself.

16. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Now that I have unleashed a moment of insanity, it is time to follow that rabbit right on down that dark hole and see where it takes me...

17. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Bring back pictures! :D

18. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    Correction: minimally upgraded by human impact, if at all. Massively impacted by solar cycles though.

TrakNar and jcgoble3 like this.
  19. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I just had a massive augment with two of my guy friends about who had the better research topic for our Medieval History class: Monty Python, VS Mongols, VS Disney's version of Robin Hood. These are the same guys that I had a argument about X-wings last week. And I came to the concision that I may actually die alone, because I am truly "just one of the guys".

Also, next week they are bringing in 3 different candidates for a position in the History Department (because we are sick of poli-sci and philosophy profs teaching us). The students get a hand in picking who gets the job. We are planning making them to the death, or at least asking really absurd questions and see who answers the best.

Gemma and Juliet316 like this.
  20. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Oh, do you mean that whole thing with the "diversity" thread? Gee, what on earth happened there? Not saying that to blame you in the least--just wondering generally how that thread ended up going from a semi-intelligent discussion to... where it ended up. (It was there long before you posted your image.)

Briannakin, good luck with the faculty search--those can be draining! Just a word of advice from someone who's been one of those candidates (or at least who once hoped to be): Go gentle on them, because they almost certainly are more scared of you now than you ever will be of them.

21. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I've always been "one of the guys", not just nerdy guys my age either. I really love my parents friends and they get together about once a month for dinner and usually the guys sit together and the girls sit together (all at one table) and when I lived in that town and went with them a lot, I always sat with the guys and went to "guys lunch" with my dad. But I've managed to find someone who sees me as a girl but a girl who enjoys the nerdy things that he does.

Anyway, the point of the story is eventually you'll find someone who see's you as a nerd and a girl, but I feel like it has to be someone who you haven't know forever because then yeah... you kinda are just one of the guys.

22. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Anakin Solo Revanchist Well, considering that 99% of the scientific community (you know, the men and women who went to school for a loooooooooong time to learn science and pursue the truth despite their preconceived notions) are in agreement that humans are causing global climate change to accelerate, I'm gonna go with their take on the situation. We can see the evidence right now, in fact; there's a big worry about what's going to happen to southern Florida since sea levels there are already rising. Doubtless they're rising everywhere, but of course in Florida it's more noticeable because of all the flat coastlines.

Which isn't to say that solar cycles don't play their part, oh no. In fact, the current trend of the Sun is that it's entering a slightly cooler phase—a solar winter, if you will.

23. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Yeah, unfortunately the rabbit hole didn't lead to anything more insane, so that was as insane as it got. Oh well. Better luck next time.

24. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    That was still pretty darn insane! :)

25. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    What can I say? I'm a nutcase. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.