main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    The brick was about $5, so it wasn't too bad.

As for PowerPoint... I made a few, but I only used them as guidelines as I spiced everything up with my own commentary. Though, my funniest one used sound effects and Ren's laugh, and the subject matter was about Zero from Megaman X. Having sound effects thrown in for humorous bits helps, but otherwise, just use it as an outline and not as the actual presentation. It's like doing a presentation with charts and graphs.

2. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Here we have 2 seasons: winter and mud.

As for powerpoint, do a Prezi. Did one for my last presentation and it turned out AMAZING. It's free for the basic version. They are not that much harder to do than PowerPoints but they are SOOO much more snazzy.

3. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    It's literally been a decade (actually a bit more than that) since I touched PowerPoint. And that was in a college summer course about Microsoft Office.

4. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I've done a couple powerpoints over the years, I'm one of those odd people that prefers oral presentations over essays. There's no stupid formal citation policy for oral presentations (often profs want some sort of bibliography, but there's no stupid footnotes). I've come to the conclusion that I'd probably be down to one essay if it weren't for the stupid research 'requirements' for this film essay. Which brings me to another stupid rant. For my Soviet history paper we have to have at least 4 book sources. That wouldn't be a problem if the class wasn't 40 people and if we had more than 20 books on soviet history at the library. I've managed to get 4 books through an inter-library loan program, but the problem is, by the time they are shipped up here, I have them for a week, then they are due, and there are no renewals. UGG.

5. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    They're installing new patio and furnace doors in my condo today, along with all-new door jambs to form a nice seal. That patio was always drafty as all get out, so this will be a very welcome change. I may even be able to go shirtsleeves in my own house during the winter!

6. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    I'm not used to having nothing to do! This is a very dull week, except for my job interview tomorrow, and my youth group's bonfire on Friday. Heck, even yesterday I had to take my car to the shop, but this is driving me crazy. :p

7. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I have to take my car to the shop. :( There is a horrible squeaking noise coming from the back end. I am hoping it is the muffler and not the shocks. It's probably the shocks. The car is less than five years old and I have put 90K miles on it just driving my kids to school and back.

8. TheChosenSolo

Dec 9, 2011
    I bought my car about 10 months ago, and in that time I added about 14,000 km to it :p

9. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Mabel snuggled up with me all night after watching Justice League. I'll make sure to put on more cartoons for her later.

Juliet316 likes this.
  10. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    One...two...three...

D'AWWWWWWWWWWWWW!! [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

Juliet316 likes this.
  11. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    The subdivision I live in, Misty Ridge, sounds like a retirement community for findsmen.

Yes, it does get rather misty here on occasion.

Findswoman likes this.
  12. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Along similar lines, our 2003 Honda Element is a shade of slightly metallic bronzish-gunmetal gray that is known officially at Honda as "shoreline mist." So I suppose we could dub it the Mist Hunter.

About this PowerPoint: it is indeed not the actual presentation itself, just an auxiliary to it. I'm planning to use it mainly to display the music going with my audio examples (which will also be embedded in the presentation), so it's going to be mainly just a matter of dragging the scans of the music pages in and getting them to look good. But even that takes time--there's splitting all the befoggèd PDFs into their individual pages, cropping them, etc.

13. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Can't help there. If they were anything like CBRs, I'd suggest renaming the .cbr to a .rar and pulling out all the individual elements. That's what I do to all my comic scans.

As for the PowerPoint itself, I suggest a quiet ambient soundtrack. Throw in some Phillip Glass. Transitions don't need to be flashy. Unlike the Zero PowerPoint I did, my Alex Ross PowerPoint was rather bland. Just images and music. Though, I did end it on a laugh, by pointing out the obvious similarity in name to Bob Ross, using a Night at the Roxbury Bob Ross gif for Bob's profile image.

14. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    You've lost me, sorry.

Can I take like 2 seconds to rant about my University's stupidity. My soviet history class was put in a room that only holds about 32-35 people, but there are 40 people in the class, so if everyone shows up, we are quite squished (we have to steal a table and chairs from other classrooms). The prof tried to get a room change but was told that there were no bigger rooms available. With less than 3 weeks left, we all got an email today saying the room has changed to one of the HUGE 100 seat lecture halls, which is nice, but WHY?

15. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I hate ants. That is all.

16. TheChosenSolo

Dec 9, 2011
    Got a magnifying glass? [face_mischief] [face_devil]

jcgoble3 likes this.
  17. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I had an ant in my apartment once. Just one ant. Every now and then, I'd see it crawling across my bedroom floor with a crumb. My guess is it came inside on my shoe, as I haven't seen any other ants inside except for that one. Eventually, one of the spiders got it.

18. TheChosenSolo

Dec 9, 2011
    I particularly remember once my dad bought a box of Crispix cereal. We opened it, and it was laden with ants. We never bought another box of Crispix.

19. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    A friend of mine had gotten a box of Colossal Crunch (generic Cap'n Crunch) and had poured himself a bowl.

There were maggots in it.

On that note, I think I'll have a bowl of cereal...

20. TheChosenSolo

Dec 9, 2011
    Got any Cocoa Puffs? I'm cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs. :p

21. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Just Quisp at the moment. I'll need to get another gallon of milk soon.

22. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    That reminds me, I'd better put the leftover pizza in the fridge. Don't want maggots on it like this one time we'd accidentally left pizza out for a brief spell.

23. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Very misty and Gandish out my window this morning.

Briannakin, what is your paper topic for your Soviet history class? Did you get the issue with the books/bibliography entries straightened out? And yes, the room situation does seem pretty silly, but at least you all have a little more space now.

Ants: When we lived in California we had a world of trouble with ants in the kitchen. We put down an ant trap, but they walked right around it--turned out they were a different variety of ant than the trap was optimized for. We eventually just sprayed them with spray cleaner and wiped their pheromone trail clean--sounds terrible, I know, but it did the job. Fortunately we haven't seen a single ant in our living spaces here in Wisconsin.

Cereal: I'm going to go have some, too.

24. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Findswoman, I did, kinda. I got all my books I needed for the Soviet History class, but some are due as early as next week, so I'm kinda stuck in this internal debate of what to work on first. I really suck at working on 2 things at once. My Monty Python essay is due first, but I sort of hit a road block with the research, and it looks like I may have to completely start over. My Soviet History paper is due 4 days later, but some of the books I'm using are due back as early as next week and it's a much longer essay (but much more straight forward). I spent 4 hours trying to find sources for my Monty Python essay last night and got no where, so I'm kinda frustrated.

So, on a more interesting note, I'm like a couple hundred metres from a huge bomb threat. The university I go to is on top of a mountain and there are only two roads up here. One of said roads (the one that the buses go up) is currently like barricaded with police because they found a bomb and now there's a bomb squad coming in from Vancouver. A friend of mine offered me a ride up the back way so I said sure. So, if I suddenly stop posting, you know what happened to me.

25. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.