main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Not sure I remember those, but then I am a relative n00b.

2. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014

My gosh! If you, who joined in 2011, are a "relative n00b," then what am I? :eek:

"Sentence challenges" do sound like fun, though. Actually, the "Edited" thing going on right now looks like great fun, too, and I hope I'll be able to participate in it in the future.

Miscellanea from my day:

1. The new RAM for my laptop arrived today and was installed by the Findshusband, though he left both the old chips and their packaging strewn all over the desk in typical man fashion.

2. The little guy had his four-year checkup today. He is perfectly healthy and happy, but he's also in the 5th percentile for height and less than the 5th percentile for weight, and the doctor did not entirely make it clear whether or not she thought that was a matter of concern.

3. I realized while practicing the organ today that I'm going to need earplugs for one of my pieces. :eek:

3. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Findswoman It makes you a waif in the woods... ;)

Here, have a musical volcano!

4. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    You can always PM a mod and ask if you can start them up again. ;)
    But to answer your question, I would think the person who ran them (I don't remember who it was) either isn't around any more or just hasn't done them in a long time.

I think I've just recently become considered "midbie" at 9 years registered in September, so you've still got a long ways to go on being a noobie! ;) The boards have been around since 1998, IIRC.

5. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Welcome back to Hell, mavjade

So, highlights from your vacation? Any run-ins with the wildlife? Any travel hiccoughs? Tell us everything... ;)

6. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    I just checked, and it hasn't been updated since December. Other than that, no idea.

Edit: ...or the idea was switched to this one.

7. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    At first I was really confused, because I've never heard of this challenge. I also haven't been here exactly the longest, but I'd like to think, as a mod, I'm fairly knowledgeable about such things. But I see that it is a NSWFF thing (as I saw by the links DaenaBenjen posted) so now I don't feel so dumb.

Mav, we want details of the vacation. Let me live vicariously through you!

I've been thinking about picking back up the cello again. I rented one last summer and, although Darth Cancer and Darth Death got in the way of me playing it lots while I had it, I really enjoyed it. I've been ooggling over cheapy electric cellos and they aren't THAT bad. I have yet to find somewhere that will ship one for less than $150 (and you all know how I HATE PAYING FOR SHIPPING) but I've managed to find a couple that are around $300. That isn't that bad considering it cost me ~$50 to rent one for a month.

8. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Awesome, Bri! If you get good, you should totally make YouTube videos of your music!

9. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I think I may drop some hints around my birthday :p But if I get it, I'd totally make youtube videos of my awful music. Part of me regrets donating my glockenspiel to that school in Cuba... but the glockenspiel isn't one of those things that sounds remotely good on it's own.

Findswoman likes this.
  10. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    If you think your playing is that bad, then just dress up in costume and use a backdrop; showmanship can make up for a lot of flaws in technique and composition—just ask Lindsey Stirling! :D

Note: Not saying that you're bad or anything...

11. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    When I get a guitar, we could form a band! The band of out-of-practice/newbie player terribleness! XD

Findswoman likes this.
  12. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    I bought a saxophone off of UsedVictoria, like, maybe a year ago now, used it twice. I really wanted to relearn how to play, so if I ever find the time I probably should :p

13. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    A barn owl has taken up residence outside my apartment. I hear it scream in the dead of night. To see if it was a barn owl, I played a call on YouTube and the owl outside responded with a scream. Quite creepy.

It's not a screech owl, as they trill. It's not a barred owl, as they hoot, same with Great Horned Owls (and the barred owls haven't been around since the barn owl showed up). That freakish inhuman blood-curdling screech is definitely a barn owl.

14. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    I occasionally hear owls near my office if I come in early enough. They're the hooty sort, so I would guess barred or great horned (whichever is more likely to live in southern Wisconsin...? Any guesses, Trak?)

Or Florence Foster Jenkins (check out the audio sample about halfway down)!

Well, then, good thing you'll have little old conservatory-trained me on... whatever keyboard instrument happens to be available! :D ;)

15. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    It depends on the hoot. Barred owls make a "who-cooks-for-who" call, along with "hoowah" and they'll caterwaul when other owls invade their territory. Great Horned owls have a "ho-ho-hoo hoo hoo" call which ranges in the amount of syllables. Both can be found in Wisconsin.

16. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Well, next time I arrive at the office before 7 (!) I'll make sure to give a real good listen. Thanks!

By the way, didn't you mention being at some kind of paranormal con this weekend? How was that? Any interesting happenings? Do share.

17. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Beware of owls delivering letters...

18. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Hogwarts, here I come!

19. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Bit old for that particular letter, aren't you?

20. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Re: Sentence challenge. It wasn't the NSWFF sentence challenge I was thinking of. It involved everyone being given the same first sentence and you had to write a story where that was your first sentence. The search doesn't seem to be working right now or I'd look for it.) Now that it's been on my brain for a night, I think DarthIshtar was the host.

Thanks!

We did have one sketchy adventure that turned out really fun! We book an excursion there at the resort, which was run by another company, but approve by the resort. So that morning we get into the van (with 2 other girls from our resort) and begin what we thought was 1.5 hour trip to a boat. About 15 minutes into the drive we pull over to the side of the road and pick some guy up. He seems to know the driver and turns and introduces himself to us and knows which resort we were from.

Then about 20 minutes later the van pulls off to the side of the road and the guy who had gotten into the van tells us all to get out and the van pulls away. We then get on a small bus with about 15 other people. After about 2.5 hours total of traveling we walk down a scary ally down to the water and get on a boat where people just start tossing you goggles and fins.

We then went out into the ocean and went snorkeling, which was fantastic, you could swim with schools of fish. I fed some of them which really made them swim all around you. We then went to the beach were you could snorkel more (there was a small coral reef really close to shore) and then we had lunch on the beach. A great day even though I got burned, even though I reapplied sunscreen 4 times!

The guy who had jumped into the van was our guide for the day and helped us out all day, but between our poor conversational Spanish and his poor conversational English, it felt a little sketchy and slightly terrifying at first.

I'll post a pic or two tonight when I get home. It was so warm and relaxing! We spent most of the time just laying on the beach and eating. The food was great!

21. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Glad to hear you had a good time, Mav! Sounds like you really needed the break!

I've been snorkeling twice in the Keys, and it really is a blast to go swimming with the fish. :)

mavjade likes this.
  22. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    I think that was the First Sentence Challenge hosted by ophelia...maybe?

23. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    I can host a challenge like this if there's enough support and the previous hosts are unavailable/unwilling, etc..

24. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Back home from the convention. I went to various interesting panels, such as one concerning paranormal pop culture and another about demonic possession. Cruised around the dealer's room, got a few things. Unlike most of the conventions I've been to, the average age of the convention-goers skewed higher to middle-age.

25. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Posting today for the first time since...January, I think. :D Feels good to be back. I even worked on some writing today.

Some of you might remember me mentioning the bad car accident my oldest son was in late last year. He broke both legs, left arm, had a serious head injury and many cuts and bruises. He has spent the last the previous three months in a rehabilitation facility learning to walk and speak again. The walking has been the easiest thing for him, yet by no means has it been easy. The head injury has left him with a few impairments. The doctors tell us he probably won't get much better than he is right now. His thoughts and words come much slower than they once did. He has to concentrate on simple tasks so much more now than he used to. His legs ache when it's cold and he has a (most likely) permanent limp. He has limited use of his left arm.

Through all of this pain and adversity, I have watched my fifteen-year-old son (we celebrated his 15th in the rehab facility) struggle to say the word "Mom". I have watched him struggle to smile. I've heard him cry out in the night, plagued by nightmares of the accident. Yet, through it all, I've also watched him fight; for every word, every step, every milestone of his recovery. Before this, I never knew my son had such strength. I knew he was tough; he played football, baseball. He loved to wrestle with his brothers and their dad. These are things he won't likely ever do again, but he has a strength of spirit and a will, a fight that just won't quit. He's been such an inspiration to me and his dad over the last few months and I've never been more proud of him.

He'll be coming home in two weeks. =D= I can't wait to have him home for good again.

Have I missed anything good over the last few months?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.