main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    It's sad that he will never be quite the same again, but I am SO glad to hear that he is showing such strength in his recovery and it's good to hear that he will be back home soon! And it's good to hear that you've got some writing done.

2. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    JediMaster_Jen I am glad your boy is coming home. It is a sad situation, but I am happy to hear he is improving.

3. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Agreed, and I hope he continues to improve. The human body is a remarkable thing, but the human mind even more so.

4. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Good to meet you, JediMaster_Jen (I've only been here since February, so we haven't met). Glad to hear your son will be coming home—may he go from strength to strength as he recovers.

JediMaster_Jen likes this.
  5. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    JediMaster_Jen That's good to hear about your son. You and your family continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.

6. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Jedi_Lover Thank you! :) We're just so grateful he survived. We'll take him any way we can have him. So thankful he's come as far as he has.

Goodwood Yes, the human body and mind are wondrous things to behold.

Findswoman Good to meet you as well. Welcome aboard. :D I hope you're having a great time. Lots of good, fun people on the boards.

Juliet316 Thank you. :) I appreciate it.

I feel like I can finally relax and get back into writing. :) Working on the new chapters of The Tristan Betrayal.

7. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I don't know how I missed this earlier. WILL THE MADNESS NEVER END! :rolleyes: Everybody is supposed to be looking at the bride...does she really think anybody is going to look at your red and chrome wheelchair and say, "The ceremony would have been perfect if not for the mismatched colors of that wheelchair!" I bet you can't wait until this wedding is over! :p I say you tell her to shove off. Doesn't she have other things to worry about?

Findswoman likes this.
  8. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    JediMaster_Jen - I'm sooo happy to hear your son is coming home soon! I know it's been very hard (I don't have personal experience, but I see and talk to people in very similar situations most every day), and I'm sure there are days that are harder than others, but you have the perfect attitude! I wish all the best for you all!! [:D]

Briannakin - Re decorating your wheelchair (I assume I was on vacay when you posted) - I think it's whatever you want to do/are comfortable with. I guess I understand where the people on the other site are coming from, but you have to decide things for you... it's okay to be okay with things that other people are outraged about when it comes to things about you. That being said, I wouldn't do it just because you are trying to not make waves over small things... she really has been a bridezilla!

JediMaster_Jen likes this.
  9. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I will be SOOOO glad when this wedding is over. I was studying with a friend today, and he has to be in a groomsman 4 weddings this summer, one of which is in Hungary. On one hand, he doesn't have to deal with crazy brides, but he's basically giving a lot of his summer up to go to these weddings. Personally, I'm thinking decorating my wheelchair will be put at the bottom of the 'to do' list and if it doesn't get decorated, I don't think anyone will care. She definitely has better things to worry about, but I'm not going to make sure it gets done unless she specifically tells someone to help me do it. However, my feet have been really bad lately, so I might dare to pick the shoe fight after my exam tomorrow.

10. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Oh... THAT sentence challenge! :oops:

11. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Yes Briannakin, pick that shoe fight! Also, good luck in your exam!

12. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    So lately I've been in a depression slump for reasons, but over the last few days I've had reason to start looking up again and see that God's in control all along the way. A few days ago I got the news that my crush is transferring universities and moving to my city (Yippee!!! :D) and at church today I just really clicked with the sermon, and afterward I went to see God's Not Dead. Pretty awesome past few days. :D

TrakNar and JediMaster_Jen like this.
  13. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    My brother and I had a very odd day. Thus, it's story time!

So, a while back, my brother bought a set of wooden nunchaku, and when he'd come over for the weekend, he'd bring them and we'd trade them back and forth while training. Today, we decide to go on our usual walk-and-chuck, and we're passing the chucks back and forth. I finish a round and pass them to my brother, and he does a flourish. The chain breaks at the pivot joint and the handle goes flying clean across the road!

Disappointed, we resolve to fix our broken nunchaku and go into town to the nearest place which we think might sell ball bearings to repair the joint (it was held together with those and a floating cuff). We talk to the triple black belt at Auto Zone, and he tells us that we're better off buying new chucks, as he's had this very same thing happen to his nunchaku dozens of times.

Off we go to the nearest dojo, where they were having a sale on supplies. We each buy a set of nunchaku; my brother getting an oak set and me getting a bamboo set. We also had a chance to speak to the sensei about what happened to our old chucks:

[​IMG]

The sensei said that he had never, ever seen chucks break like that.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  14. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    One of those two beings is "enhancing the truth" as GLaDOS would say. And given the factors you illustrate, I'm pretty sure I can figure out which one....

15. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Considering what happened to our old chucks, we're more inclined to believe the triple black belt from Auto Zone. The sensei at the dojo was perhaps our age and we don't know how often he plays around with his chucks.

I like my new chucks. The old ones breaking was a good excuse to get new ones and for me to finally get a set of my own. Mine have a good weight, they fill my grip nicely, and they move smoothly. The pivot joints and chain move much smoother than the old chucks, which felt a bit chunky when swung. I also can catch these better.

I'm going to have to give my hands a rest, though, as practicing a new grip change really left a mark on my left hand. It's a bit puffy and sore.

16. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    JediMaster_Jen, welcome back! Sounds like you're doing exactly what you need to and I wish you and your family good luck.

Wow, TrakNar, that sounds kind of scary (if the nunchaku are the spiked sort of thing that I recall seeing.)

17. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    TrakNar, what style of martial arts do you do, & what rank do you hold? I've been training in Shobayashi-ryu karate for a little over a year now with my husband, who's got his own little dojo, but I'm just a humble green belt, & I haven't done much with weapons yet.

18. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Kahara - These are just the two sticks joined by a chain, the type of weapon Michelangelo uses.

Findswoman - We used to be in Ishinryu karate years back, got up to about yellow belt before we had to quit due to money. Our dad also tried to get us into another dojo, but couldn't afford it, so we had to quit. We'd go back, but we don't have the money for lessons. So, we just study techniques on our own.

Findswoman likes this.
  19. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Isshinryu was the very first style I took—it was in college, but I too couldn't continue past yellow belt or so because my schedule just got too full. Though I must say, Isshinryu does have one of the coolest patches/logos/emblems of any style! :D

20. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I enjoy observing practitioners of martial arts. I have always liked the simple wooden bo (my fave weapon) and have even considered buying one but I am leery of ever attempting training due to my status of limited mobility. What you guys do sounds interesting but I can't visualise it as I'm not familiar with this form/system.

21. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    What I like about nunchaku is that they're recoil weapons, so you learn pretty quickly if you're doing something wrong! :p

When I took karate, we did some weapons training, but not much. I did use nunchaku and the bo and was quite adept at both. Relearning the few passes and grips didn't take long, and I can be quite speedy when passing my chucks over my shoulders, from one hand to the other. It's the pass I usually default to while going for walks, interspersing it with an underarm catch.

Tonight, I started the around-the-neck pass. Very, very, very slowly. And carefully. Speed can wait, I'll go for accuracy and technique with that one.

22. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    That makes sense and it sounds very cool. Did you start as a discipline or just for fun?

23. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Just for fun and exercise, and for self-defense. Less so for self-defense as I live in a pretty quiet neighborhood, so now it's more for fun and exercise.

And I played Pokemon all night when I actually planned to go to bed. Oh well. Made some trades, got in a random battle, hatched some eggs, went on a search for a certain species, and leveled my Hypno a bit.

24. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    When I was younger I trained in taekwondo. I eventually made it to 1st Dan black belt. I have some certificate from Korea certifying the rank. I haven't done any martial arts since my kids were born.

25. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    My husband got his 1st black belt about a year and a half ago; his favorite weapons are the sai, and indeed he keeps them under the bed so that he can reach them easily for self-defense in the middle of the night.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.