main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    There's a Holocaust Museum in town here, and I visited it a few years back. Before taking the tour, I thought I was fairly knowledgeable about the Final Solution, but that museum helped to open my eyes to the true horror of industrialized killing. Just passing the building, which is designed to resemble the camps themselves with enlarged barbed wire along the walls, one section in red bricks with another section done in "striped pajamas" and a few "tents", gives me the collywobbles.

Findswoman likes this.
  2. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Wow, interesting. I've been to Canada's War Museum in Ottawa. It had some interesting stuff on World War II, even one of Hitler's cars, but nothing like that. I could have gone to the Churchill War Rooms while I was in London, and part of me kicks myself for not doing so, but we just didn't have time, plus my friend was getting REALLY tired of museums and nerdy history stuff (and truth be told, it was all starting to blend together for me too). But we did get to see some interesting memorials.

3. LexiLupin

LexiLupin Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 27, 2011
    Random question, is the search function not working? Or am I just incompetent?

4. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    It's not you. It isn't working right now.

5. LexiLupin

LexiLupin Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 27, 2011
    Thanks!
    ( *sigh* )

JediMaster_Jen likes this.
  6. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    It hasn't been working for a few days *UUGG*. But I've found, if you know what you are looking for, just google it and it'll often pop up.

7. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Also, the "recent postings" link on user profile pages doesn't work.

8. JediMaster_Jen

Jun 3, 2002
    Yeah, the "postings" tab doesn't work, but the "recent activity" does. Only problem with that is that it is a limited amount of posts.

9. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Of course, the priority is on level with the truncated post issue. :p

LexiLupin and Goodwood like this.
  10. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    I'm fairly sure that the truncation thing is a result of lost data, which in turn was caused by trying to cram too much information into too small a space. For example, it could be that the boards were initially set up with 10,000-character post limits, and were not expanded before they transferred all of the data from the old boards, therefore anything that was dumped in that exceeded that imposed limit simply went poof.

It's never going to get fixed because it simply cannot be fixed; you can't conjure lost data from the ether.

11. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    They said the data was not lost. If it's archived, then it can be recovered. However, it would require a reboot, which is not a very fun thing to do and would necessitate forum downtime in order to make sure that the old data was rebooted as it should.

Considering that another forum did this recently, and I'm still trying to fix things, I can understand why it's low on the priority list.

12. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Well, from my understanding, the data still exists in the backup of the IGN database, and it's a matter of extracting the necessary information from that database and inserting it into the XenForo database, without completely ****ing up the forums. Which is why we have to wait on the guy from IGN to find the time to work on it. I have hopes that it will be fixed eventually, but I've given up hope of any specific timeframe.

13. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    The best time to do such a reload would be during a software upgrade when the forum would be down for maintenance anyway.

14. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I'm not sure what I'm allowed to tell people. I'm not admin, I just do what I'm told, nor do I understand the systems that well, but I can assure you, the data IS NOT LOST. For awhile there, there was an issue with getting the actual back up data from the IGN people, and there was an issue with the format or coding or something. I'm unsure where it stands now, I know DRL was and is being a pain for the person trying to fix it (they have real lives too). I asked for an update a few months ago now, and I wasn't given one, so I'm just as peeved as you guys are.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  15. JediMaster_Jen

Jun 3, 2002
    I've given up on it being fixed any time in the near future. I went back into my old stories and just edited the text. Now, I know that will cause a problem if and when the truncation issue is actually fixed, but....oh well.

16. Ewok_Slayer

Ewok_Slayer Jedi Master star 2

Nov 24, 2004
    It will never get fixed NEVER! Unless... unless you go to the effort to fix every one of your stories. Then and only then will the truncation issue get fixed, wiping out your edits, but the weird question marks will remain, making you have to go back and fix the fix. o_O Because the moderators cannot tell us if the question marks and weird characters will disappear once the truncation issue is fixed (IF EVER) people should be allowed to repost stories in new threads IMHO.

Of course if you don't have your story on your harddrive or on a thumbdrive you are out of luck and if you bring up this concern over at communications you will be ridiculed as a clueless moron from their various pseudo-trolls. I call them troll-lite because they stay within TOS but they manage to annoy the hell out of you anyway.

17. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Off topic, but... Ewok_Slayer, I have this odd feeling that I have come across you on at least one other SW forum before. Rebelscum, maybe? Jedidefender? Or am I just imagining things?

18. Ewok_Slayer

Ewok_Slayer Jedi Master star 2

Nov 24, 2004
    Findswoman I haven't been to those sites. There are two more Ewok_Slayers on this site. One is Ewokslayer and another is Ewokslayer01. Maybe you have run into them.

19. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    Since this is a social thread, is it even possible for the term "off-topic" to apply here? :p

Gemma and jcgoble3 like this.
  20. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Not unless your "topic" violates the TOS... ;)

21. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    Of course, but that should go without saying. :p

22. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Well, given that people were deep in discussion about the truncated posts business, I just thought it would be nice if I gave some notice before starting in with something completely different. :)

By the way, given my "waif in the woods" status (thank you, Goodwood), I wonder if someone might clue me in on:

(a) ...what "TOS" means (other than "The Original Series" when talking about Star Trek, which is obviously not the case here)?

(b) the truncated posts business? Are some older posts (how old?) just not surviving in complete form anymore? I know I've seen older posts with weird question marks instead of quote marks and such; are those same posts also getting cut off partway through?

Thanks, all!

23. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Terma of Use, and yes, the truncation issue refers to the posts transferred from the old forum to the new one being cut off at the first 10,000 characters.

24. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Hmmm, wouldn't that technically be "TOU"? Any particular reason it's not?

Also, when did the forum transfer take place? (I really am a waif, I'm afraid!)

25. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I'll clear up some stuff. I am told that if you make edits to a pre-move post, that post will no-longer be fixed when the truncation issue is fixed (I don't understand this, I was just told it).

You CAN repost stories that were effected by the move, we just don't want you to do ALL your stories at once (according to board wide rules, no more than 4 new topics can be posted by one person in any one forum, but we also want you to respect the other authors)

ToS stands for terms of service (same thing as terms of use).

The forum move took place from March-August 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.