main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    Welcome! You've found your way to the cool crew :p

2. neila_nuruodo

neila_nuruodo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 3, 2002

3. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Welcome back!

Tonight's discussion is of where we'd have a TFN con. Personally, I vote for the Midwest, as I'd have to come from the East Coast, and I'd rather a shorter trip.

Particularly when the airline likes to throw my connecting flight somewhere goofy, like Newark, NJ, when I flew out of Harrisburg, so it goes FARTHER east. So, nonstop back to the East, only to miss the exit and have to turn around. [face_plain]

4. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I set my new shoes on fire. Dammit! And I was wearing them at the time. Be careful when you burn leaves! :rolleyes:

5. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Believe it or not, a pile of leaves just about self-combusted at my parents' house about fifteen years ago or so (was still in high school at the time). The pile was smoking weirdly and we didn't know why, so Grandpa Ed went to investigate. The pile was hot! So he did the sensible thing and called the fire department, and they learned through poking around that there were actually embers (or something very hot) forming, and that we're quite lucky that the whole thing didn't go up in flames.

That's how I remember it, anyway.

6. neila_nuruodo

Aug 3, 2002
    That's my pile of leaves! :D

7. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    A pile of mulch nearby self-combusted last summer. It was smoking and it stank.

8. LexiLupin

LexiLupin Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 27, 2011
    I once flew from El Paso to San Francisco. I was supposed to connect in Los Angeles, which makes plenty of sense.
    Well, I had to reschedule my flight, and for the date I was changing it, I could ONLY go through Houston.

So I had to fly the entire and quite substantial width of Texas just to turn back around and head west. That was incredibly not cool.[face_waiting]

9. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    I love flying, so that kind of hitch wouldn't really put me off taking a trip. Honest.

10. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    I have had lots of experience with haystacks and leaves and reed dumps during my firefighting years. Smelly yes but after the firefighting and when you were doffing your fatigues and BA-gear.

11. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Happy 4/20, everyone! :D

12. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    My uncle once had to fly up here from Vancouver. They flew up here, but because of a storm they couldn't land. The circled the city a few times, but for some reason, air control would not let them land, so they had to fly all the way back to Vancouver. He was annoyed.

So, mini rant. I don't often sell stuff online, but everytime I do, I'm reminded why I hate doing it. I have a pair of size 12 men's Converse high-tops I bought for $70 to wear with some orthotics I had to wear (thus the GIANT size even for me). The orthotics ended up being WAAY to painful, so I only wore them like twice. I was going through some stuff the other weekend, found these practically brand new shoes and decided to sell them on a buy and sell Facebook page. First I asked $40, then I reduced them to $35 and said I was open to offers (figured the money in my pocket would be better than some huge shoes in the closet), so someone offered me $20. Maybe I'm just cheap, but I would never sell a brand new pair of $70 for $20, and she wanted me to drop them off at her place. I managed to get $30 for them and the guy is going to pick them up.

Also, another mini rant: the bookstore at the university sometimes buys back text-books at the end of the semester. I never bothered this semester and I'm kinda glad I didn't bother to drag all my books in. My one friend went to sell his $80 text for our medieval Europe class. They offered him $1.40. Now. I've sold a couple $80 textbooks for $20, just because they were collecting dust, but I'd rather donate a book and have the moral satisfaction, than get $1.40

EDIT: It's 4/20? It's my diabeticversary! Going to get hyperglycemic toniiiiigggghhtttt :p

13. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    You have anniversaries for diagnoses in Canada?! o_O

Or is that just a personal thing... ;)

14. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    No, it's a type 1 diabetic thing. Someone I know just 'celebrated' 23 years last Thursday, with zero complications, which is pretty damn impressive, considering my father only made it 22 years (but he was also a dummy when it came to his health). It's kinda like "how long have I survived this stupid disease".

Findswoman and Goodwood like this.
  15. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Ah, I get it now, and can well imagine how such a reminder can help to prevent a person from doing something to make their condition worse and jeopardizing themselves in the process. Years ago my sister had type 2 (pregnancy-induced?) diabetes for a while but apparently doesn't have it any more (ignoramus alert!), but she did have to take care of herself during that time.

Though receiving certain diagnoses has helped my personal development by leaps and bounds through understanding their impact on my nature, I don't remember the dates.

16. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Sounds like it would have been gestational diabetes. I don't know much about it, but basically hormones makes the body go crazy and preggo women can exhibit symptoms of diabeties so they get treated like a diabetic, but it goes away after the baby is born.

After my friend mentioned her diabeticversary, I had to look up mine (I knew it was sometime mid-late April). Though it can be a easy thing for some people to remember.

17. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Yeah, that sounds about right.

Anyway Bri, you have fun but you be careful! :)

18. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Welcome, neila_nuruodo! It's a pleasure to meet you. Enjoy your stay.

And Briannakin, congratulations! Enjoy your sugar responsibly and in moderation and all that. ;) :)

I'm afraid I have no spontaneous combustion stories, but as long as we're (at least kind of sort of semi-actually) talking about where we would hold a TF.N con, I guess we should plan about when we would do so as well. This year? Next? Preferably in the spring or summer, or are other times of the year OK too? Just mostly rambling here. Or of course we don't have to plan this yet if we're ready to...

19. neila_nuruodo

Aug 3, 2002
    I've got a crazy sweet tooth, but I've been cutting back on my sugar intake. Otherwise I know I'll be headed straight toward diabetes. :( Especially since I think my dad is almost there himself, he's been complaining of numbness in his toes.

I have to wonder what we'd do at a TFN convention, get together and talk about fanfic and literature and the EU in person instead of online? :p Or maybe it would be an excuse to meet the people we talk to.

20. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Well, I live within a stone's throw of Chris Trevas, so if we held it in my area it'd be pretty easy to get him to come (and relatively cheap). There's other guests we could probably have, but other than that we could have panel discussions about fan fiction, fan art, and other fan activities (costuming, etc).

Other than that, it'd be a helluva excuse to PARTY HARD! [face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

21. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I could drag Joe Schrieber from Hershey.

Have a drawing exercise.

[​IMG]

The image had been sitting in my head for a while, so I hunted down a similar painting and practiced drawing reclining figures.

Findswoman and Goodwood like this.
  22. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    That Hypno looks like a gargoyle!

23. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    I feel like this reminds me of some famous painting or other, though I can't remember which painting (and it's possible I'm just imagining things).

How long does it usually take you to do a drawing like this one, just out of curiosity?

24. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    About an hour or so.

And it is referenced from a famous painting, mainly the girl. Perfect reclining pose to draw. I had intended originally to just loosely base a sketch on it, but decided to just draw the composition for exercise.

It's like taking my sketchbook into a gallery and drawing the paintings.

25. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    That Hypno does look like a gargoyle. I really like it.

UGH, the step-family is here for Easter dinner. Time to break out the vodka. I'm serious, they are the reason I started drinking. As much as I HATE my paternal grandmother, I think I rather deal with her than my hutt-like step-grandmother.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.