main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I don't think they'll have those wings at the Faerie Festival. I'd have to build them myself.

...Time to go buy duct tape.

2. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Yes, I want the Falcon's wings!

3. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Rockets are gross (I keep glucose tabs in my purse encase my blood sugar goes low when I'm out - they are basically oversize rockets). Chocolate Smarties on the other hand, are delicious.

Duct tape is the solution to everything. I wanted to make my prom-dress out of duct tape, especially after the disaster that was prom dress shopping, and I almost did it. Then my grandmother (the one I love dearly) said that she would buy me whatever dress I wanted online, and I couldn't say no to G-Mamma.

Gemma likes this.
  4. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    I too am very intrigued about the possibility of TrakNar in wings. Tell us about the rest of your planned outfit—and don't withhold photos! :)

LexiLupin, don't feel bad that your son didn't get to partake in any egg hunts this year or missed out on the whole giant rabbit thing. My kid is four and has never partaken in any of that his whole life (nor the whole Santa Claus business at Christmastime). To us, yesterday was mainly day 6 of Passover. (That's why I miss pizza so much!)

I must say I do enjoy the clearanced candy, though. Especially when it includes Cadbury Mini Eggs.

TrakNar likes this.
  5. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Happy -it's only a holiday in New England- Patriot's Day!! aka, Marathon Monday! :D

I'm not actually in Boston this weekend or I'd be at the marathon today. Last year was the first time I'd ever gone and had such a good time (was a lot more interesting than I expected it would be) until I was on my way home and got a text from my now boyfriend asking if I was alright. I was at mile 20 and knew nothing of the bombs at the finish line until he texted me, which was lucky he did because I was able to text my mom before she heard about it.

6. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    My dad is going to the Faerie Festival to take pictures (he scored me a ticket), so I'll make sure he takes some pics and sends them to me.

7. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    So you gonna make some wings out of duck tape?

8. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I'd need to go get duct tape, first. I might make some, but not for the Faerie Festival, as they'd get in the way.

9. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    I know what you could do!

Make X-wings!

10. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    They'd still get in the way. :p

11. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    They don't have to be huge. Make them about the size of those stupid fairy wings; heck, you could just make them out of card stock! Just draw the markings and then cut them out.

12. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Not an option for the Faerie Festival. Completely unrelated. And besides, for costuming aside from casual stuff, it's either go all in or go home. If I make an X-wing, I'm making the whole ship and it'll be huge.

Tiny s-foils would look ridiculous, anyway.

13. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    Duct tape, the handyman's best friend.

Sometimes it's good to be Canadian, we get shows like Red Green. :p

14. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    OK, so is it "duct tape" (as in the things that carry air from your furnace) or "duck tape" (as in the waterfowl)? Or are both correct nowadays? I'm seeing both being used here, and it was all explained to me at some point, though darned if I can remember now.

15. TheChosenSolo

Dec 9, 2011
    Duck Tape is a brand of duct tape.

16. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Duck Tape brand duct tape is the only duct tape I buy. It's my go-to costume supply.

17. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    The term "duck tape" was originally the name given to this variant of tape, which was developed during World War II for use in sealing cases of small arms and machine gun ammunition against moisture. Ordnancemen and other support personnel in the armed forces quickly discovered that duck tape had a wide variety of secondary uses, and after the war the makers chose to market it in the civilian sector under that brand name ("Water slides off it like a duck's back!"). The original variety was olive drab in color, produced that way so as to match the color of the ammunition cases it was intended to seal, but later on (in the 50s IIRC) it was changed to silver, as many were using it to seal ventilation ducts (hence the morphing of the name into "duct tape"). Most duck tape sold these days for commercial and residential purposes is a sort of dull silvery gray; if you want a chrome-like color, then you're probably going to have to special order it...

However, the official brand name of the product, first developed and manufactured by 3M, is still Duck Tape. And you can find it in a wide variety of colors and patterns, with other brands making their own versions—I once saw rattlesnake-patterned duck tape at Target!

Findswoman likes this.
  18. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I buy chrome Duck Tape at Walmart and have a roll in my closet, so you don't have to special-order it. It's shineh~

19. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    We had a pretty good one --- I made a dish of red russet potatoes -- that I boiled almost done then cut them into chunks and put them into an egg batter and then Italian breads crumbs and browned them in a pan with some oil. Well after the first pan was on a plate with towels draining --- My Mom says your son is sampling them. My son is my kitty Max. I said 'oh no, Maximus' --- and he was not just sniffing - he was licking away at the seasonings. I laughed and shooed him away and put that potato aside and I ate it. They were a big hit with my Dad and his business partner and it was all a guess --- so I was happy it turned out well, too.

Briannakin, The idea of the Kinder Eggs - kind of reminds me of King Cakes from Louisiana - Mardi Gras. Some of them are made correctly and some just place the little plastic baby and Mardi Gras beads in a bag with the cake. The premise is several things -- King Cakes are like chain letter food. Two things for the plastic baby -- who ever winds up with the plastic baby in their slice - is supposed to have good luck for the day and to keep things rolling they are supposed to call their bakery and order a King Cake and send it to someone. This usually last for about 2 to 3 weeks in March through April. They are like a giant ringed pastry and the really good ones can having fillings --- but all are good.

20. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    In the Army we called duct tape 100 MPH tape.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  21. TheChosenSolo

Dec 9, 2011
    You know what's the worst? Waking up at 5 after you had pretty much no sleep all night. The things I do for my prayer group :p

22. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    I have recently not been getting enough sleep myself. Mainly because this forum is such a fun distraction! :D

23. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Growing up in the theater, I have an absolute hate for duct tape... okay, hate is a strong word, and when I finally get around to making my dress form it will be out of duct tape, but I still don't like it all that much. Nothing is worse than someone putting duct tape on something on a stage and then it getting really hot, no longer holding and leaving a big sticky mess.
    Gaffers tape is where it's at!

Granted, it's like $25 a roll so not nearly the bargain duct tape is, but it works really well and doesn't leave a residue (or at least the good stuff doesn't, I've seen some of the cheeper stuff leave a little bit) and holds even when it gets really hot.
    That being said, since I've moved away from home and my parents stopped doing theater, I don't really have access to it any more. :(

24. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Got sick of my long and untamed hair, and since I can't afford to go to the barber until next month, I just shaved it all off.

Someday I'll get one of those home-barber tools.

25. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    And here I had this image of you as this dapper, clean-cut fellow! Well, I guess you're in that category now. :D

Just how long and untamed was long and untamed, if I might ask?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.