main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LexiLupin

LexiLupin Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 27, 2011
    Maybe someone else is helping pay for their honeymoon as a wedding gift. In any case, England might be expensive but it's cheaper than a house. It's not really an apt comparison, nor indicative of someone's maturity.

But yeah the wedding attire sounds scary.

I thought they said from the get-go that the EU was not being taken into account with the new movies?

2. Lunarcat

Lunarcat Jedi Youngling

Apr 20, 2014
    Yeah, I heard about the whole EU thing on starwars.com. I'm still a bit confused (I don't think the article was worded very well) But they way I see it, it's kinda like when Disney bought Marvel, we just gotta give them a chance. Maybe it'll be cool.

3. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    The way I see it, even if the trip is a gift, that money could be asked to be used for a couple months rent on an apartment, or even a nice start to a down payment. And I don't think there is ever a problem with living with your parents if you need to, but I would never want to do that as a young married woman. Maybe it's just me, but I think a person should get the opportunity to live alone and be independent, before having to worry about someone else's happiness too. But I do see your point that this is probably their ONLY time they'll just be able to get away for a month and not have to worry about dogs, kids, jobs or getting a house-sitter type deal.

But yeah, the outfit is pretty bad. I'm just glad that there will be 4 other girls put through the same thing. We think it might be the gloves that put it over the top, so there may be a coop on the gloves.

I don't think they officially announced they were throwing out the EU until now, but from the get-go, most people expected it or knew it was a strong possibility. I guess this means that I don't have to finish FOTJ.

4. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    It's just as well that you don't. It just got weirder and weirder, and went right over the top with that nod to TCW. [face_sick]

jcgoble3, Goodwood and Force Smuggler like this.
  5. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I completely expected the announcement and from a business standpoint, I can completely see why they did it, but I'll admit it did still sting a bit. (I pet my Mara Jade statuette for about 10 minutes after I heard. ;) ) I'm glad that they say they will still pull from the EU, but I do wonder how much. I'll be happy with just about anything.

I am excited about some of the new books they've announced. I really enjoyed John Jackson Miller's Kenobi, so I'm looking forward to his book, and Luceno writing a Tarkin book?! I'm so there! :)

6. TheChosenSolo

Dec 9, 2011
    Just give me Anakin Solo, and I'll be absolutely fine with ANYTHING else.

EDIT: Except Abeloth.

7. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Perhaps this may sound silly, but I feel like this big, wide universe of tales has just been utterly stomped on by some emotionless corporate behemoth wearing spiked boots. For someone who has really opened themselves up to this universe and embraced its possibilities, such a hand-wave comes off as more of a back-slap followed by a kick to the gut—someone in Lit equated it to the unmitigated disaster that was the Mass Effect 3 ending, and I found myself agreeing wholeheartedly. That incident was devastating enough.

8. TheChosenSolo

Dec 9, 2011
    Mass Effect 3? Everyone was complaining about that in Yobi's fanfictions as well. What was the problem there?

9. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    The original ending basically introduced a brand new antagonist literally in the last ten minutes of the trilogy and basically just hand-waved everything away until you're left with a color-coded A, B, or C choice that would always kill you and basically just do huge, arbitrary things to the galaxy that shoot the kneecaps off the established lore and leave no explanation whatsoever. Things were marginally improved with an Extended Cut released a few months later, which added a fourth option, "refuse"—but that equated to a giant "middle finger" from the devs ("You don't like our endings? Well SUCK IT!"), but there were still a couple of huge plot holes (why should the Destroy "ending" kill all synthetic life?)

Oh, and your choices throughout the trilogy? Didn't happen, didn't matter, you got the very same bespoke endings that the devs, namely Casey Hudson, said that you wouldn't get.

10. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I've actually read up to like chapter 13 in Apocalypse, so I probably should finish it, but it got weird, even for me. It did feel like the EU got stomped on. Perhaps it's a good thing that they are starting anew. I do HOPE they keep Mara Jade, but at the same time, it's not like the EU will have to try to out-do Abeloth in the next epic series.

I've never sat down to play mass effect, but I had plenty of friends that did. Basically throughout the 3 games you made decisions in the games that affected the outcomes and those decisions carried over to the next game, but at the end of the last game, none of those decisions made any difference. It's hard for me to explain because I never played, but there is an awesome YouTube video about it. I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: Or what Goodwood said. Also, I found the video, but I can't link it because of the language, but it's called 'Hitler Finds Out About Mass Effect 3's Ending'.

11. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    In light of Disney publications announcement: “In order to give maximum creative freedom to the filmmakers and also preserve an element of surprise and discovery for the audience, Star Wars Episodes VII-IX will not tell the same story told in the post-Return of the Jedi Expanded Universe.”

I'm all befuddled about fanfic. I'm right in the middle of an AU that could or could not be based on canon. OY! What are ya'lls feelings????

12. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    There are a fair number of excellent videos about how awful the ending (as well as other parts) of ME3 was/were. Smudboy did a huge series utterly eviscerating the whole game.

On the Star Wars EU front, one of the things that drew me to it as opposed to, say, Star Trek, was that it was always purported by the creators and Lucasfilm Licensing itself to be a living, cohesive universe that mattered, even if Lucas himself would overrule whatever he wanted when it was inconvenient. To be fair to Lucas, those instances are fairly minor, especially compared with Disney taking the "nuclear option." Star Trek EU was never regarded this way, as there was never a centralized apparatus and one book could just ignore any other without consequence. Other franchises with tie-in fiction just don't have the same depth or breadth.

So basically yeah, I feel like a huge part of my literary development has just been irradiated into nothingness, and the bookshelf full of Star Wars novels and resource books feels like about a thousand dollars' worth of wasted paper. What's worse is that I am also starting to feel seriously demotivated to continue in my fan fiction efforts. I mean, what does it matter now? Hopefully I can get that motivation back, but my muse is bleeding profusely and I need to get her to the hospital first...

EDIT: In retrospect, I suppose the writing was on the wall when TCW started tearing PT-era EU to tatters about two episodes in.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  13. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I understand why they did it. They want the universe to be accessible to new fans and give the maximum creativity to the ep7-9 writers, and we are getting rid of some pretty dumb stuff. But at the same time, I'm looking at my bookshelf, and the audiobooks on my iPod, and saying 'well what was the point?' I guess we will always have the stories as 'Legends', BASICALLY AU fanfic in punished book form :p But it does sting, and the more I think about it, the more my muse dies :( What's the point of a fic that fixes LOTF if it never happened. MY MUSE WAS ALREADY HAVING ISSUES.

SCREW THIS. I'M GOING TO THE NSWFF SIDE! Time for some doctor who fanfic.

TrakNar likes this.
  14. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Why do I suddenly sense a "New Coke" maneuver on Disney's part?

15. LexiLupin

LexiLupin Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 27, 2011
    Yeah, writing in SW is unlike anything else. The vast array of source material, the sheer volume of content- I mean, where does Wookieepedia go?

I don't know they really had any other choice given the lapsed time since epVI. And maybe they'll do something great with the next three. But it's absolutely killing something people have come to know and love and live in the past what, 20+ years?

I wish they'd just done an animated Rogue Squadron series or something. Ah well.

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  16. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I think Disney can ease the angst of a reboot if you take the following from the EU and put it in the movie: Mara Jade Skywalker, the Solo kids (Sith-free), Ben Skywalker and a live Chewie. Take the best characters of the EU and the fans will be happy. Things that would irritate fans is if Leia never married Han (remember their courtship and marriage is EU) or if Luke is married to someone other than Mara. I swear I would not watch the movie if Luke is married to someone called Callista!

17. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    As a Wookieepedia administrator, I can say that your guess is as good as mine. The only thing that I can say for certain is that we have always documented all official material, including Infinities and other non-canon material, and we will continue to do so. However, the manner in which we do so is undetermined at this time.

18. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    There will be a process in which we determine the best way to handle this, and I can tell you from experience that it will become a monstrously tedious pain in the ass. :p

And all hell broke loose as I was contemplating that. Wind slammed my bedroom door and knocked a vase of flowers into my sink. A loud racket to tell me to avoid angering the gods.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  19. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I do not envy you Wookieepedia admin. But I guess if Marvel and DC can deal with all their infinities and alternate universes, then it was just a matter of time before we had to too.

The only person I really fear for is Mara Jade, because I am a LM fangirl. I can't see them not putting Leia and Han together and making them have kids because of the relationship in the OT. But I can (but hopefully not) see them making Luke some Old-Republic-like Jedi, which I would hate. I'm hoping they will appease the MANY current EU fans and use the characters that we know, but just get rid of the events.

Gemma likes this.
  20. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Honestly, if they just came out and said that the old EU is now an AU, that would be far easier to deal with. But, no. Instead, we get Schrödinger's Canon.

21. Lunarcat

Lunarcat Jedi Youngling

Apr 20, 2014
    is the clone wars still canon? Is the old republic mmo? I'm still confused. I think the clone wars is, but what about TOR? It might not be very popular, but it's still up and running.

Honestly, I think I might take it as AU, but I do wonder how much they'll actually change from cannon, I mean maybe this will just affect stuff that came after episode 6. And they said the star wars rebel's tv show will pull elements from an old role-playing book. Plus I think some of the authors on that list have already written stuff for star wars, so I'm not sure how much they'll want to change their own stuff.

I guess I'm just still not sure how to feel about this... I guess I'll just wait and see. Can I take a neutral and slightly optimistic/confused stance?:p

Still, I feel for ya TrakNar, editing wookiepedia after this cannot be easy.

-sends good luck vibes your way-

22. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    TCW is still canon, however TOR is not due to some connection with FotJ.

23. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    TOR has a connection with FotJ? This is news to me. TCW does have a major connection to FotJ though, a huge one that was just slapped in on the very last book.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  24. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Don't forget the Killiks.

25. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    In other news, look what I found outside!

[​IMG]

jcgoble3 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.