main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lunarcat

Lunarcat Jedi Youngling

Apr 20, 2014
    ewewewewewewew!!!! Bleh, I hate spiders with a passion, and that one is so big and gross! ewwwww. You are a braver woman than me, I couldn't even get close to that thing.

Also, if FotJ takes place about 4000 years after TOR, how are they related? Sorry, I've never actually read FotJ, never really been interested in stuff that came after ep. 6, but now I'm intrigued.

2. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Honestly, I don't know. I've avoided FotJ like the plague and I don't play TOR. Might be something in TOR that sets up something in FotJ, or FotJ mentions something that has to do with TOR.

As for the spider, I'd hazard a 2-inch legspan, as the body itself was easily the size of the quarter I put there for scale. It's a Carolina wolf spider, the largest species of wolf spider.

3. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I'm with you Lunacat. Spiders are tiny demons from Hell. I found one almost that big in the hallway today. I first doused it with half a can of raid and then vacuumed it up. I then got the half gallon of insecticide with automatic sprayer and sprayed the entire exterior of my house and part of the interior. I sprayed until I ran out of insecticide and I was choking on the fumes. I hate spiders and bugs!!!

I got a second guy to give me an estimate to chop down my dangerous trees. The first guy said $10,000 just to get them on the ground. This second guy gave me a $5000 estimate. So we will go with that bid and pay extra to get the branches chipped and hauled away. I said the wood should keep us warm for a couple winters. He laughed and said I have no idea how much wood I will have. I won't have to buy firewood for a decade. I think he is exaggerating, but maybe not. These trees are 75-100 feet tall and probably 20 inches in diameter. We need to get them out. One tree top broke off and the only reason it didn't smash my neighbor's garage was it got caught up in the fork of another big tree. It would have killed anybody it hit. I hope there isn't any storms prior to clearing this lot.

Lunarcat FOTJ is and LOTF are story arcs that make me really appreciate fanfiction. There are good things in them. I like seeing Ben and Luke interacting. I love Jag and Jaina. There are good things but the story arcs are depressing as hell. That is not Star Wars. The OT is Star Wars. I want to see some good guys kicking the bad guys butt. Not the other way around! o_O

I get irritated when people in Lit or other Forums argue...it's Star WARS. It has to be realistic. Really? How realistic is the OT? Does anybody really think you could sneak aboard the Death Star and free a prisoner? Ewoks took down the Empire? The OT was supposed to be like the cliffhanger shows Lucas saw as a boy. In those shows the good guy won. And the good guy didn't win after being tortured like what Han endured during the last book. They won without entire planets getting wiped out. They won without a moon falling on the hero's head. :mad:

4. EmeraldJediFire

EmeraldJediFire Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2012
    newdawn12 likes this.
  5. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    Hey mavjade, I'm actually curious now, how spoilers are regarded here. I ask because I pointedly stay out of 7SA, and try to avoid seeing possible spoilers on the Star Wars Facebook page and such, and I personally wouldn't want to be spoiled by coming into the Cantina to see information being bandied about.

By the way, EmeraldJediFire, this wasn't meant to shoot at you personally for that post, we had already discussed that very topic, it's just that your post got me thinking along those lines. So yeah. :)

6. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    Yeah, I just saw it. So, I should have checked lol
    It got me thinking something my friend said what Lucas said... that Talon (darth talon) and maul should work together.... he basically wanted to skew the eu entirely and make them jump timelines.

7. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I want to see Darth Magic Mike! Bow chicka wow wow!

8. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    I have yet actually to see that movie.

Another thing, I was reading the comments and fans were saying that the EU was not canon (okay, no argument) it was just approved my Lucas....appproved fan fiction.

That got me a little bit irate people actual actual time and hard work into those novels. Maybe they weren't great all the time but to call them fan fiction . as a writer that chafes me.

So what they'd basically saying is... Lucas let them write authorized fan fiction... and get paid for it. (raises eyebrow(](...pardon my apparent derison

9. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    We have a no-spoiler policy here in Resource. The whole scrapping of the EU isn't a spoiler, it's news.

As for stories, Mav and I are discussing our spoiler policy as more plausible spoilers come out about the movies.

10. Lunarcat

Lunarcat Jedi Youngling

Apr 20, 2014
    Huh... wow.

I think that darth maul game was scrapped though, and personally... I'm kinda glad. Don't know how they'd take darth maul about 140 years out of his element without it being kinda dumb.

But with the games licence being given to EA, which owns Bioware, maybe we'll see some more good games coming out of the star wars universe. And from what it sounds like, the EU is still up for grabs and can be referenced to, but people won't have to worry about contradicting a comic book that came out in the 1980's.

Or I could be being entirely too optimistic here. But I try to see the glass as half full of blue milk. :p

Jedi_Lover ah, that explains a lot. Yeah, I don't think I'd like depressing star wars, I like PEW PEW ARRG SOUND EFFECTS. I mean, drama is fine, it's what makes it dramatic, but not out and out tragedy. Also I guess another reason I never really got into it is because I guess I just didn't really want to see my favorite characters getting old and having kids. It's just kinda, depressing in a way? Like old Indiana Jones, I don't think a lot of people wanted to see old Indi. I dunno. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

11. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    I still say there could've been a better way of working things out other than saying "work is too hard!" and taking the nuclear option, but that's an argument for another forum, and probably one that's futile at best. In any case, thanks to a little gentle coaxing from Findswoman, I'm not going to let some empty suits at LFL and Disney piss in my cornflakes.

The fan fiction will continue.

Findswoman likes this.
  12. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    To add to what Bri said, there are board wide rules regarding spoilers, and as far as SW movies go, the only place spoilers are allowed is 7SA. As she said, we are discussing this in regards to stories that use what would be considered a spoiler.

As far as novels and comics go, as posted in the FanFic FAQ we follow the Lit spoiler rules: Novels must be under a spoiler tag for 30 days after the release (though I'd recommend doing it longer for your fellow fans, you just won't get in trouble for it) and a week after a comic release.

13. Lunarcat

Lunarcat Jedi Youngling

Apr 20, 2014
    Alright after reading some discussions of the NEU and OEU I have decided how I truly feel about all this: Meh.

I mean, it kinda seems like making a mountain out of a molehill. The EU had been contradicted and expanded and taken apart so many times that the tiers of canon never really mattered. I'm still going to write my TOR fanfiction, I'm still going to read and enjoy the old stuff, but now their new stuff. And honestly, most of what I care about is still intact due to the clone wars and movies. Maybe it's because I'm a disney fan, but... I really don't think this is going to be as terrible as everyone is making it out to be. (Kinda like the Marvel buy-out) Besides, Boba Fett movie! Yeah! I'm excited for that. And of course the possible/ probable star wars land expansion onto the disney parks. Oh yeah...

But, I'm still going to write my TOR stuff, and laugh at HK-47's silliness because... why not? I'm not going to let cannon/ non-cannon get in the way of my enjoyment. If it did, I'd never be able to enjoy fanfiction, cause that's all non-canon. And it's not like people can tell me what I can and cannot enjoy, or can and cannot write because of a retcon.

Now I know that some people really liked the star wars universe because it was all one big living story, or because it was all interconnected, and that's fair, you can enjoy things for any reason you want, but this is how I feel, and I'm sticking to it. I am not right, nor am I wrong. I'm a lot happier this way, now that I'm not worrying about it. Anyway, that's the last I'll say about it, I don't want to make a big deal out of it. Sorry for bringing this up again. Here, have a pumpkin! [face_pumpkin]

In other news, I smell tacos... weird. And tasty... mmmm tacos. =P~

Kahara likes this.
  14. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    Eh I'm not too broken up about it either, then instating a new EU means that what happened in the books is sort of null and void.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. LexiLupin

LexiLupin Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 27, 2011
    Alderaan though... :p

16. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    True. It is easy to forget Alderaan because we are introduced to the planet a couple minutes before it was blown up.

17. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    This whole business has hit my muse pretty hard. Weird. I've been an L/M shipper from day one, so this is like a kick in the backside.

18. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I think it all depends how you choose to take the labels being thrown around 'Cannon' and 'Legends'. It's still up to the fans what they accept as valid.I was fine ignoring TCW and though I've now seem half of the series I'm still fine ignoring it. Same with Rebels or any 'new' content I don't like if I bother at all. *Eyes Tarkin *very* sceptically*. It'll be interesting how it shakes out for the fandom. I'm to the point I won't invest much interest in SW anymore.

19. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    My feelings are kind of split on the EU thing. On the one hand, I think discarding some portion of the EU may indeed make for better sequel films. On the other hand, I do worry that a lot of the richness may be lost -- things like the Rogue Squadron books, the somewhat-overdone-but-cool big sourcebooks, various EU characters that weren't headliners, and other nifty stuff.

Of course, I then have to go and whine about my fanfic being incomprehensible to future generations of SW fans. :p But that would have happened eventually, anyway.

Edit: Forums ate half my comment, and I am too lazy to fix it.

20. Lunarcat

Lunarcat Jedi Youngling

Apr 20, 2014
    Kahara, you could always say its part of the Legacy! AU or oldEU or... whatever people are going to label it. The old stuff isn't gone just... in another place! Or uhh... in another universe.

There's no good analogy to make here. [face_dunno]

Like my mom's phone... where did it go? No one knows... o_O But you should totally keep working on your fanfiction. That goes for everyone, even if it feels like a blow to your muse, canon never stopped people from shipping dead crossover characters together! Why I've seen AU's that are so far away from their original setting that the only thing it has in common is the characters, and sometimes not even then! Where am I going with this? I don't know! But I was trying to add some levity to the situation. I mean, if human/future/evil Shak Ti and Winged/Magic Joker can be shipped together, then anything is possible! (PS please never ever ship that ever.):p

... I hope that helped. I really don't know where I was going with that but I suppose I'm just trying to say... you know, the Old EU is still here, so just use the old Canon to write your fanfiction, or don't. You could go against canon and write something that contradicts the old stuff, hate the fact that chewie was killed off? Rewrite it. Or don't. Fanfiction's non canon anyway, so people re-wrote and re-interpreted stuff even before the retcon. Good Vader, Evil Obi-Wan, Non-Force sensitive Luke (Okay never seen the last one) It's all about YOUR canon. ;)

Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  21. Onderon1

Onderon1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2008
    Having read the announcement vis a vis Ep. 7 and the old EU, I'd give this advice to 'fic writers: Don't let it stop you writing what you want. :)

The sequel trilogy won't be bound by the post-ROTJ EU. That doesn't, however, mean that we won't see elements of the old EU crop up here and there. In fact, I daresay that instead of throwing their hands up and wanting to start fresh, the LFL Story Group are going to cherry-pick what works for them.

(We might get such head-shaking alterations as Psycho!Barriss from TCW, or we might get something likeable. We'll have to wait and see.)

In the end, though, the multiverse theory implies that all stories are equally likely to occur in some alternate timeline. Or - just because "core" SW continuity is getting rebooted, doesn't mean that stories based on the now "Legends" EU are invalid. In fact, just the opposite. :)

(Besides, how many of us have shaken our heads at ... well, pretty much anything past TUF and written a fix-it 'fic? :p

22. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    I don't do fixer fics. :p

And forgive me this moment of scientific bluntness, but the notion of a "multiverse" isn't a theory. It isn't even a hypothesis, as it isn't a coherent set of ideas that are falsifiable (i.e., testable and verifiable). It is a concept only, and insofar as this NEU goes, it's one that I think Trak expressed best when she called it "Schrodinger's Canon."

23. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    I agree, Onderon1. I'm sure as heck not letting them dictate. I've got too many ideas to willingly think of stopping.

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  24. Onderon1

Onderon1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2008
    =D=

I've not posted for some time due to the truncated posts issue - other than over in NSWFF, an alternate past G1/Prime mashup of Transformers - but I've been thinking of getting back into SWFF, if only to finish certain ideas I started long ago. :)

(I must admit to being one who bites off more than they can chew, idea-wise. What should have been a "simple" X-Men-NJO crossover turned into a sprawling mess that I retconned at least once. :oops:

25. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    Been there done that. Others will tell you I do that frequently. Which is why two of my fics have been shoved to the backburner while I work on two others.​

I dub myself queen of 'She who has bitten off more than she can chew'. Lol​

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.