main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I'd better not let the FBI know about my many copies of the Holiday Special...

2. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Speaking of which... when are you gonna send me a copy? :p

3. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    I am not buying many gifts this year...except for ones at Craft Fairs. However, for my angry birds obsessed 5 1/2 year old nephew...not sure what to get him, but since he's been LOVING playing Angry Birds Star Wars on both my iPod touch & my Samsung tablet, I might buy him the Angry Birds Star Wars Jenga game. (He got me to level 2 the Death Star Levels on my iPod touch.....he is REALLY good at the game).

4. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    With kids they seem to like gift cards. You give them a $20 gift card, they bug their parents to bring them to the store, they pick out a $30 gift making their parents pony up the difference and then they are thankful to you for such a cool and expensive gift. :p

5. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Gift cards might be the cost-effective way to go this year. I never know what to get for people, as what I plan to get them, they usually already have.

6. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I got movie tickets and concessions vouchers from my sister. I'm so using them to go to Les Miserables on Christmas.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  7. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    One of the things I am going to do this year is buy a board game and give it to the entire family, but I'm going to get them to open it on Christmas eve because our plan on Christmas eve is just to eat finger foods, snack all night and play board games.

Also, today, Karma was so very sweet to me. My older sister has always ragged on me for writing fan fiction. She thinks it's all of it is the stereotypical 'erotic fiction written badly'. BUT a friend of her's recommended a Mass Effect fan fiction story (continuing the story after the suck ending of ME3) and she's HOOKED! Needless to say I had a smug look on my face all while we were putting up the Chrismas tree.

8. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    That's awesome! Check with your local office supply store, they may have a way to bind them that's not too expensive.

Briannakin- I've had that same thing happen with several friends. They look down on fanfic until they find something they like and then realize how much fun it actually is. It took me a long time to convince my tabletop role playing friends that they were pretty much doing the same thing, just not writing it down and only controling their one character instead of them all.

9. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Went ghost hunting last night. Captured two EVPs and a face on camera. Awesome stuff. Also scary, since the face was less than 6 feet away . . .

10. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    What did the EVPs say?

My grandmother's house was supposedly haunted. I saw some weird things. My mother would say to me, "Don't worry, I'm sure if they are ghosts it is your Aunt or Grandfather." Yeah, that made me feel so much better when I was ten-years-old and spending summers with my grandmother.

11. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    LOL. I lived in a haunted house for 3 years. Had some very weird stuff happen.

I have my brother-in-law for Christmas exchange and can't think of what to get him.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  12. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    My grandparents rented a place for about a year and we all swear it was haunted. Apparently, my uncle knew the former owner, who died of a heart-attack in the house. Weird stuff would happen, like the lights would turn on or off in the kitchen when everyone was in the living room. And I REFUSED to go in the bathroom in the basement. I never believed in ghosts before then, but after staying in that house for a week, I questioned my beliefs.

13. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I don't know what I saw, but one day I was reading in the living room and I swore I saw somebody walk from the kitchen to the dining room. I went to the dining room where there was no way to exit except past me and there was nobody there. I look at the kitchen and the cabinet doors are swinging like a huge wind blew through. I checked the windows and doors and they are all closed. So I call in my aunt who was in the living room and say, "Look at this." And as she moved into the kitchen everything stops moving.

That irritated me. It's like the singing frog on Looney Tones. "Hello my baby, hello my darling..." :p

Anyway, I tell my mother who immediately gets ballistic with my brother. My brother was at college, so I had no clue as to why she was mad at him. "I'm going to kill him for telling you ghost stories!" I said, "Mom, he didn't tell me any ghost stories."

It turns out that a week earlier he saw something very similar. He turned off the lights to go to bed. He laid down and closed his eyes when he heard the dog whimper. He opened his eyes and saw the outline of a person leaning over him. He totally freaks. Rolls off the other side of the bed and turns on the lights, but there was nothing there. My mother told him to not tell me since I was staying there on the weekends and summers to care for my grandmother.

The dog refused to go into the garage and would act weird sometimes. My father was a scientist and always had a reasonable explanation for everything we saw...like our eyes are playing tricks on us. o_O

I don't know if I believe in ghosts or not. I just wasn't sure what was going on.

14. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    My brother's apartment has had some strange happenings. When I lived there, we both experienced what felt like a cat laying on us. My brother was lying in bed, reading, and he felt a cat climb onto his lap and lay down. It took a moment for him to realize that there are no cats in the apartment, and when he looked, there was nothing there and the feeling went away. One morning, I was lying in bed and I felt a cat jump up onto the foot end of my bed and climb onto my side and lay down. I even felt it purr. It also took me a moment to realize that I didn't have a cat. And then I heard a woman's voice just behind my head ask, "who's cat?" I was on my feet in an instant.

And then... there are the voices my brother, his wife, and I have heard. My brother's wife would sometimes hear a woman talking, but wasn't able to discern where the voice came from or what was said. Off and on, my brother and I have also heard a woman's voice. One evening, we were standing in my room, talking about comics, when we heard "Hon? Hon?" My brother went down the hall and asked his wife if she said anything. She didn't. She was in the shower. So, he shrugged and we went back to our discussion. After a few moments, we heard the voice again. "Hon? Hon?" My brother goes down the hall, knocks on the bathroom door and asks his wife if she said anything. She didn't and she was getting annoyed with this.

We've heard footsteps in that house when no one was around, we've seen shadows move, things would be mysteriously knocked over on the counter in the kitchen, my brother's wife actually seen a figure run through the kitchen, we've all heard voices, two of us have met Ghost Cat... Might be haunted. Or... we might all just be nuts.

15. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002

One said "Get back", and the other said "Shower's not the place", in response to me asking if the spirit was the guy who hung himself in the shower.

I'm having the same problem with my brother.

Yeah, same stuff around here, but I've been here 20 years. Lights turning on and off are a pretty common thing, largely because it's easier for spirits to have an effect on electricity than in moving objects.

Actually, it could very well be your eyes playing tricks on you, but that doesn't preclude there being a spirit there. Everything has a resonance, and certain frequencies have an effect on the eyes and make the vision fuzzy around the edges, which can lead to seeing things out of the corner of your eye as the vision distorts. It can also lead to difficulty breathing and feelings of fear or panic as your body tries to process why its incoming signals have suddenly gone wonky.

As for the cupboard doors, and the man standing over the bed, those are more direct and stronger indications of a spirit being present than the corner of the eye thing.

Nope, not crazy. Sounds like an intelligent haunting to me. We have ghost kitties around here, too.

So your sister-in-law saw a full-bodied apparition in her kitchen? That's interesting. Are all the voices you've heard female, or are there male voices, too?

16. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I've only heard a female voice. We call her Delores. When I was alone in the apartment, I would idly talk to Delores or Ghost Cat. Never really got any replies, but I didn't see the harm... other than that if anyone caught me doing that, they'd think me nuts.

In other apartments, I've seen shadow people. I've seen a shadowy figure walk out of my bedroom twice. Might be just my poor eyesight, but I recall a discussion with my dad's friend who is a ghost hunter about some article concerning shadow people. Don't recall much else about that discussion, other than that shadow people are a phenomenon.

17. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    That's why I love cats. You can blame all the crazy stuff on them. "Hon, Hon" that's just a cat coughing up a furball. Doorknob jiggling...that's just the cat hanging on the doorknob trying to get the door open (my cat does this). Footsteps...that's the cat jumping around. Blood dripping down the walls....the cat must have killed a bird in the house.

TrakNar likes this.
  18. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    My sister said that he has an Amazon.com wishlist and I am FORBIDDEN to get him the ninja throwing knives. What a buzzkill!

19. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I say get him the ninja throwing knifes anyways!! I have to place my Amazon.ca order tonight.

20. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I got an Amazon.com gift card and am deciding what to spend it on. Purchase #1 will definitely be "T-rex at Swan Lake," a hilarious book I read a while ago.

RK_Striker_JK_5 likes this.
  21. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    I think I remember talking about that one...

The holidays are upon us. I work at retail. *Ducks and covers* :p

22. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Ack! I was in the twenty item or less lane and there was a woman upfront with like 50 gift cards. The cashier has to scan the card, punch in the amount on the card and then swipe the card. One down, 49 more to go. It was taking forever. So the customer in front of me gets all irritated and says "This is ridiculous!" and moves to another line. I decided to follow. She puts down two items on the belt...and then about 15 gift cards.

I just can't win. It was early in the morning and only two cashier lanes were open.

23. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I feel for those who work in retail this time of year. I think my friend who works at an Apple store has it the worst.

24. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    My friend growing up lived in a house we were convinced was haunted (so was her mom). Things moved, lights turned on and off etc. but the the creepiest thing was when my friends mom's music box, which hadn't been wound in years and was just sitting on her dresser started playing while it was closed.

I too feel for those working retail. I worked at Sears Portrait Studio one holiday season and it was crazy (oh the crying kids and the screaming parents!), I couldn't imagine working other places.

25. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I never worked retail and I am glad. I am sure I would have been fired for rolling my eyes too much. I enjoyed my time in the Army.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.