Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost

star 6
    I hate glasses with a passion, mainly cause I got teased in school big time for em. So I was quite happy when I got contacts and even happier when they finally invented the kind you can sleep in. No more glasses for me! Though I think I need to update my prescript, I'm starting to lean forward and it's killing my back.

I'm as blind as a bat without corrective lenses. It sucks. I just wish I had the money (and the courage) to get corrective surgery done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. Skywalker_T-65 Force Ghost

star 6
    I love the fact I'm the only person in my family who doesn't need glasses.

20/15 vision FTW!!! :p
  3. earlybird-obi-wan Force Ghost

star 6
    I live in a village where cellphones work bad or don't work at all and it's with all the companies. And why? Because there are some old fashioned civilians who don't want those antenna's on historical buildings.
  4. mavjade It's so FLUFFY! Fanfic & New Movies Manager

Manager
    star 5
    Catching up on the coversation... felt like crappy/supper tired the past few days and the times I haven't been at work, I've pretty much been asleep. I blame my roomates, one of which brought us the plague from where she works with kids.

Congrats Lexi!!

I am blind without corrective lenses of some sort. Not only can I not see the big E if I don't have my glasses on/contacts in, I don't even know there is anything there, just a white spot on the wall.
  5. Jedi_Lover Chosen One

star 5
    I don't really remember a time without glasses. I have had them since either kindergarten or first grade. Sometimes I don't wear them if I am doing something that will make me sweat, like run or going to the gym. My boys freak when I don't wear them. They said it doesn't look like me without them. I can see without them but everything is blurry. I used to do a lot of 10K runs when I was younger. So many that people would recognize me and come up and talk to me. I sucked at recognizing and remembering faces. Even thought I could make our their features, I used to say, "Sorry, I don't have my glasses on. Where do I know you from?"

30 MINUTES TO KICK OFF!!! GO ARMY!!!!BEAT NAVY!!
    Last edited by Jedi_Lover, Dec 8, 2012
  6. DaenaBenjen42 Force Ghost

star 5
    I've had metal frames since my second pair of glasses. The first ones were plastic with a zebra motif, I kid you not. And the metal ones... well, one pair got kinda bent in an incident with a text book, but I'll never go back to plastic again. I like the weight of the metal ones.
  7. Alexis_Wingstar Force Ghost

star 4
    I remember when I was in elementary school, and one of my classmates (mind you, this is second grade, so we were 7-years-old) had glasses that looked like the bottoms of glass soda bottles - very thick. I often wonder about how she is now. Oh my, and I remember that same little girl was a chronic complainer. She complained and worried about everything! The one thing that stood out to me was when it was the day for class pictures, and all the boys and girls were dressed up so nicely, they had us go outside for recess, and she complained about having to go outside. "Don't they know we'll get our clothes and hair all messed up, and we won't look nice for our pictures?" My response was, "[Insert name here], lighten up! You're too young to act so old. Let's go play on the swings." I then went and pulled a 'superman' in my pretty red-flowered dress. LOL
  8. Briannakin Grand Moff Darth Fanfic Manager

Manager
    star 5
    Lol. I think we all knew someone like that back in elementary schoool. For me it was my best friend. I went to a different high school than her, but we ended up in the same university, so I bump into her sometimes. She's pretty strange now, then again, she was strange when we were 9.

I have plastic frames now, but I may go back to metal, even though the metal can get so cold when I'm outside.
  9. Jedi_Lover Chosen One

star 5
    Kids that whine about messing up their clothes during photo day were probably warned by their parents about not getting dirty for their pictures. Kids usually mirror their parents' quirks, phobias and dysfunctional attributes. My kids are hardheaded, smart mouthed, strange rangers. I am pretty sure they take after their father.o_O

I was just watching cage fighting and saw this guy that looks like he could be a Skywalker. Dye his hair red and we could have a hot looking Ben Skywalker. http://tinyurl.com/bebnvpa
    Last edited by Jedi_Lover, Dec 8, 2012
  10. TrakNar Force Ghost

star 5
    Being allergic to metal curbed my getting any more metal frames. The first pair had plastic only on the very tips of the ear pieces, for whatever reason, so the metal was touching my skin. I have scars on the tops of my ears and in the backs where the metal ate through my skin. The acid in my skin also corroded the hell out of the metal... and those frames were titanium. I would wrap the ear pieces in tissues and masking tape just to give the sores on my ears enough time to heal, which by then, normal wear and tear would have undid my modifications to those glasses. I also broke one earpiece and lost a lens and had to repair it.

My second pair of metal frames fit better, lasted longer, and I still have them stashed somewhere as a backup. The nose piece broke off, though, and one of the lenses are loose.

My third pair, (and first pair of plastic frames) are still holding together after about four or five years. They're so weak, though, that it's a huge difference in the quality of my sight. I like my new ones, I don't have to lean forward anymore. Though, the right earpiece is digging into my ear and it hurts. :/

As for whiny kids... I knew one girl who was a bit on the prissy side. But, she wasn't strange by any means. Nope, I was the strange one. And I made sure to ruin my nice clothes. :p
    Last edited by TrakNar, Dec 8, 2012
  11. Jedi_Lover Chosen One

star 5
    That must suck being allergic to metal. I guess you won't be cosplaying Leia with a metal bikini.
  12. TrakNar Force Ghost

star 5
    Not unless it's lined with fabric.
  13. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    I've now lived 13 and a half years, since I got glasses when I was 3, LASIK when I was 18 1/2.

Tomorrow is the Christmas program that I have been working myself to death on. I've been really frankly cranky throughout parts of the process because the person who was conduct the choir got mad at me for 2 months because I offered to help, then decided she was going to stop doing the choir altogether with 4 weeks left to go and having rehearsed no music at all. And she said it was because she was going to be out of town until February, but has come to every single rehearsal that she 'couldn't make it to.' I'm not speaking to her for a while after tomorrow.
  14. Briannakin Grand Moff Darth Fanfic Manager

Manager
    star 5
    As much as I loved band (I went to a high school with a very good orchestral band program - we went all over North America and won national awards), I hated the drama. Before our final band concert, we wanted to get our director a gift, so all 30 of us pitched in $20 but no one could decide what to get her. Then someone's father got involved and basically ordered us to get her a stupid trip that NO BODY wanted to get her except the father's daughter who basically decided what we were going to do for our farewell performance for her. There was so much arguing and bitterness afterwards that hardly anyone talked to each other the final two weeks of school. I'm just glad I was in the only senior in the percussion pit with a bunch of juniors and I told them what NOT to do next year.
  15. RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost

star 7
    I've had glasses since fourth grade. I don't think I look that good without them.
  16. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    My best experience with ensemble had to be BYU Women's Chorus.. The competition to get in is intense--1200 applicants, 170 spots--but then you get into rehearsals 5 days a week with those 170 women and perform about 20 times a semester with them and go on retreats with them and you're best friends. When I decided to leave my ex, I didn't tell most of my friends, but I went to the two girls who sat next to me in the Alto 2 section and let them know I might not be coming back for the rest of the semester. I never had drama in that choir.
  17. TrakNar Force Ghost

star 5
    My high school's band conductor said that clarinets couldn't be in the jazz band, so I quit.

Oh wow... I am in awe over the difference between wearing my glasses and not wearing them. It's like night and day! I knew that my vision changed and I knew that it was getting bad, but I didn't realize how bad! It's good to see again...
    Last edited by TrakNar, Dec 9, 2012
  18. mavjade It's so FLUFFY! Fanfic & New Movies Manager

Manager
    star 5
    No clarinets in jazz band?? :rolleyes: That's perposterous.

I've wanted cateye glasses for years and years and I think I'm finally going to buy some with my bonus I got from work. Zenni Opitical makes them cheap enough that I can have a pair that aren't for everyday. (Though I have to pay extra for my extra strength Rx, they are still hundreds of dollars cheaper)

My high school show choir was strangely devoid of most drama. I guess we were all outcasts in the rest of the school if we didn't get along with each other, we would have had no one! (Most of us were also members of the drama club and did lots of theater together).
  19. Jedi_Lover Chosen One

star 5
    I never understood what instruments get into Jazz. My one son wanted to join the jazz band but he plays the flute. I said, "I don't think there are flutes in Jazz", but he claims there are.

My boys local school cancelled band. I went to the school board meeting and told them that if they cut band I will pull my children out of the school. They were keeping the woodshop instead although canceling band made a bigger impact on the students. It was politics. A student who loved woodshop died about six months earlier and the parents said, "In lieu of flowers please donate to the school woodshop program." So after all of this money came in, they didn't want to cancel the program and sell all the donated equipment.

So I put my children on a waiting list for a very popular charter school. I was surprised when they got in. They are in heaven now. They are not getting bullied like they were in their other school. They are in a robotics club and all children from kindergarten to 12th grade take Spanish classes. Now I am glad they cancelled the band class in the old school because I probably wouldn't have made the step to switched schools otherwise.
    Last edited by Jedi_Lover, Dec 9, 2012
  20. Briannakin Grand Moff Darth Fanfic Manager

Manager
    star 5
    Mav, I buy from Zenni optical as well, so when I break them, I don't cry. I thought about getting cateye glasses, but then I found a picture of my grandmother in 1959 with cat eye glasses and I realized that I would look exactly like her, and that would not be a good thing.

JL, I didn't go to my feeder high school and I am VERY glad I didn't. Most of my elementary school friends got into drugs and other weird stuff, meanwhile I was performing with hot Cuban men in Havana.
  21. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    LOL, my parents took me out of public school for 8th grade and had me go to a very small private school, planning to put me back in once we moved because my school was filled with sociopaths. Well, in the middle of eighth grade, my best friend announced that she was applying to Boston University Academy because her stepfather was a teacher there and I should apply, too. I talked to my parents, they decided it was a good idea, I applied with her and she got rejected. Two years later, my parents decided that I was commuting too much and put me in Lexington Christian Academy with my younger sister. I loved going to private school. I have a few people I talk to from my public school still, but I'm still friends with most of my class from the other schools.
  22. mavjade It's so FLUFFY! Fanfic & New Movies Manager

Manager
    star 5
    J_L- Your son is correct there is certainly jazz flute and it is awesome!

I saw a picture of my mom when she was in high school with cat eye glasses and she looks so awesome (it's my favorite picture of her) and since I saw it I've wanted them, and that was when I was in high school.

I went to my public high school and liked it, I still have several friends I met there. I really wanted to go to North Carolina School for the Arts but I knew I would never have gotten in.
  23. Jedi_Lover Chosen One

star 5
    I like the fact that my kids' new school has uniforms. There is no fighting over what they are going to wear in the morning. At first my sons were upset saying they would look stupid. I told them everybody else will be in a uniform and look just as like them. Anyway it is the least stupid school uniform I have ever seen. It is navy blue trousers with a polo shirt with the school name where a breast pocket would normally be. It looks preppy.

ACK! It's snowing. The boys are excited because they think it will be a snow day. But even if it is a snow day in our area it doesn't mean it will be a snow day at their school which is 30 miles away and in a city with lots of plows. That always sucks because if the schools are cancelled in my county the plows are slow to get out and I have to 4X4 through a foot of snow to get my boys to school.
    Last edited by Jedi_Lover, Dec 9, 2012
  24. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    My schools had dress codes rather than uniforms. It had rules that made it so I couldn't wear a floral print shirt because it was too flashy, couldn't wear a BU shirt because it had words...
  25. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost

star 6
    My senior year my High School got uniforms. My class was peeved. We were the last class of the millennium and we were going to be forced to wear uniforms. So what do a bunch of angry senior teens do?

Defy the school. We wore it. But we wore our shirts untucked, our pants half off. Wrinkled. No belt. Shirts backwards. Inside out. We were going to individualize our uniforms by breaking the proper way to wear them. We were going to be improper, messy, and rebels through and through.

When the day came for the Senior bonfire, the skies burned with the ashes of our hated uniforms. Then they tried to get us to wear certain clothes under our gowns. Had to wear white dresses or white pants and shirt. Some of the guys were um... creative. Lol

I hated the uniforms and I was glad I was in JROTC that year. I could wear something different and not feel like a drone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.