main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    It's just very...late 80s/early 90s in aesthetic, performed like a poorly written/directed acting class exercise, and only about 30 minutes are "worth watching" out of 90. That said, there are always ways of making things available. ;)

2. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Mabel has been out of her usual food, so she has to eat something different. She, of course, refuses to, and spends the evening caterwauling.

3. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    And now for something completely different...

4. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    My Pokeshaming doodle on my junk blog broke 200 notes. I wish my paintings and sketch cards would get that kind of attention. You know, stuff I've actually put effort into making. It's not teaching me or anyone a very good lesson when what I work hard on is ignored or overlooked, but something I crap out in five minutes goes viral.

5. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Don't worry Trak, soon tumblr will irrelevant itself out of existence.

6. K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku

K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 18, 2000
    That is the way it is, Trak. Things that tend to be popular usually (not always) require little effort on the consumer's end to comprehend and enjoy. I think the lesson is supposed to be that your creative output should be independent of someone else's reaction. You make and create because you need to make and create, not because you are looking for an audience. Nice theory, very difficult in practice.

7. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I agree.

People on tumblr generally like to consume stuff that is brainless or what is funny, like Twilight or that Pokeshaming drawing or Benedict Cumberbatch compared to otters. The masses rarely take time to appreciate fine art. But I say create what you want to. If you want to paint a masterpiece, do it for yourself. If you want 200 notes do something funny. But I completely understand your frustration.

My sister and I went to the grocery store and they had crayola crayons on for 25 cents for a 24 box (normally you pay like 2-3 dollars here for a box) so we each bought 4 boxes and we are going to do some awesome melted crayon art. Unfortunately I only have 1 canvas right now, so I gotta decide what I wanna try.

8. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Try to look at the bright side: the more your so-called "mindless crap" gets attention, the more likely it becomes that someone will actually look at the rest of your work and comment on it. As long as you make it easy for someone looking at the first to find the second, then it stands to follow. :)

9. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Eh, at least I put some effort into my mindless crap, so it's not a total loss. Still bugs me.

10. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I meant that Twilight was in the brainless category and your Pokèshaming is in the funny. 2 things sell on the internet, funny and cats. But atleast some of your work is getting seen.

11. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Indeed.

Here, have something else I'm currently working on:
    [​IMG]

And I made someone fangasm and that made my day.

12. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Lol. It's people like that who make it all worth while.

It's my mom's birthday tomorrow so my sister and I are taking her out to brunch. My sister told me to "not look like a hobo for once in my life"... thanks sis [to be fair, I was wearing one purple converse and one neon lime green converse (my grandma bought me a new pair of shoes because she found them on clearance for $10) just to be weird]. So I decided to put my hair in curl-formers, but it was not working out. Then I decided to do it all by feel and not use a mirror. It was SO much easier! As a kid my dad (a blind dude raised by a deaf dude) taught my to do everything by feel and it has finally come in handy. I don't know how it will look in the morning, but we shall see.

13. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I cut my hair by feel. Heck, when I'm searching for something in a bag or in the dark, I need to close my eyes so I can find it better! XD

14. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Yes, I agree that it's frustrating how "mindless crap" often seems to be more appreciated than really top-notch stuff that takes skill and effort to create (though TrakNar, I'll say that your "mindless crap" certainly shows a lot more skill and effort than most ;) ).

Piggybacking on K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku 's point that the former requires less effort to enjoy: the corollary to that is that it also requires less effort to say something about it ("LOL!" often being about the only thing one can say in most cases). Sometimes when people see (or read) a really fine piece of work, they feel, "Oh gee, I should really take the time to sit down write some substantial commentary about that," which they then keep putting off and putting off and never getting around to because of their busy schedules or whatever. I've gotten into that trap with lots of things both on the internet and RL.

Kahara and K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku like this.
  15. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Use the Force, Trak and Bri! :D

16. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    The thing about Tumblr and my using it as a gallery is that no one really needs to actually comment on anything. They can drop a like or a quick reblog and call it a day. Tumblr isn't necessarily made for galleries, but it works fine as one and it's just another vehicle for me to use to get my stuff out there to another audience.

I've thought about returning to deviantArt, but I never really liked the community, their site redo before I left made uploading such a pain in the ass (it's better now, so I've been told), decent artist blogs are often hidden and mired in Sonic recolor fandom, and many publishers—from what I was told by quite a few people in the industry—don't want you using dA for your online portfolio (after getting into the business, they don't care. But for your résumé, it's considered unprofessional).

That's the main reason why I went with Tumblr. I may look for another online gallery, and I've considered joining Pixiv, but Tumblr suits my needs for the time being. I can customize my blog with a simple-yet-professional theme and I can have a junk blog for sketches that I can link to if I'm so inclined. Online galleries such as dA don't allow me the luxury of hiding my junk stuff and meme posts on another blog.

17. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    You are not the only person who feels this way. I read a discussion on dA where some artists that do original work were complaining that fanart shouldn't be allowed. They were upset that a person who does an Avenger drawing could get thousands and thousands more views than their work. But this is simply because people are searching for stuff that interests them.

On dA artists are allowed to upload their work into various "Groups" that gets them more views. So if I join the Star Wars Group I will received messages informing me what new art has been uploaded to that site. A person doing original art may not have a popular Group to add their art to...so the site is set up for fans of particular genres. People look at stuff that interests them. I am not interested in seeing the most beautiful drawing of the English Countryside. I want to see drawings of Luke and Mara. That is just the way things are.

We had the same conversation here on these boards. There are a lot of people who think well written and serious fanfiction is often overlooked and instead certain 'ships dominate. So the crappiest L/M love story will get more views than the best written OC drama story...and that is probably true.

I haven't used Tumbler but I assume there is a search feature and some of your 'crap' must be searched for often. Hopefully after looking at your five minute drawing they will stick around to look at your other stuff.

18. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Tumblr uses tags, and I employ those tags for more views. I use general and specific tags, and I've attracted some more followers due to them coming across one of my pics in another tag.

In regards to people on dA who say that fanart shouldn't be allowed; fanart in and of itself is not the problem. If you want to make it into the industry and get a job drawing the Avengers, then you need to prove to publishers that you can draw the Avengers by drawing tons and tons of fanart. While original art is nice, it doesn't show the publisher that you can draw their stuff.

The biggest complaint I have with dA is the proliferation of cheap recolors of official art. This is particularly evident in Sonic fandom. Sonic fandom is NOTORIOUS for cheap recolors passed off as "original characters," and the trend isn't dying any time soon. I've seen dA galleries packed full of cheap recolors with commenters lauding praises on how "awesome" that character is, and even putting in requests to have their recolor made by that "artist." Unfortunately, good artists are lost in that sea of crap, and it gives dA a reputation of being a wretched hive of recolors and emo poetry.

While it is a bit of an annoyance to have my good stuff overlooked while my boredom junk goes viral, I am still happy to garner the attention. It's something and it gives me an idea of what people like and what kind of audience I'll have if I keep drawing that stuff. I had a gangsta Gand sketch in my portfolio for a while as an example of linework and coloring, and he was a very popular piece. Lots of people loved that pic despite it being a simple one-off doodle I whipped up one night because I was bored and thought it'd be funny. People love funny stuff.

19. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Ughn. I had a friend who was big into dA. She showed me her gallery once. It was all the same picture of a wolf, just recolored (badly, like MS Paint style). I failed to see how it was "art".

But I think the quality VS what the masses see/want to see is a problem in all media and art types, yet we are all pretty much guilty of only searching for what we want to see in some form or another.

My blindly done curls turned out absolutely great. I gotta do that more often.

Also, IDK why, but I suddenly want to do a re-watch of all of Stargate SG1.

K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku likes this.
  20. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Get comfy, Bri, cos that's gonna take a while.

I tried getting into Stargate SG1 when it first came on...or at some point early in the show. The characters were pretty decent even though the SFX were somewhat kooky (not bad, just weird), though the show lost me fairly quickly when the plots started getting intermingled. Or maybe I was just missing something. In any case, the show was pretty vulnerable to some pretty obvious (and hideous) tropes, too much so for me to want to try it again. Just IMHO.

21. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I think it was 2 summers ago, I watched all 10 seasons in 2 months [face_blush] . I also just watched all 9 seasons of Supernatural (it was... interesting). I just got no life right now.

The characters are great and I really enjoyed it (before it became a dead-horse-beating fest), but there's a LOT of intermingling plots. I also used to live where they filmed most of the outdoors stuff, so I randomly recognize places that are supposed to be 'alien worlds'. And they named a re-occurring planet after a town in BC, so that really ruined the sci-fi feel for a couple of episodes.

But yeah, plenty of blatant tropes in that show.

22. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    Speaking of online portfolios, anyone here heard of or tried Behance? It seems quite professional and aimed at getting artists' careers started.

23. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Really, which town? I loved the show, but the writers weren't the most creative bunch, especially when it came to episode concepts - "Stargate does Groundhog Day" for example. The characters were the strength of the show.

24. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Encase DRL has anyone down, here's a pic of my cat looking really stupid. It makes me laugh so hard. You are welcome :) (and yes, I'm really bored and I have writer's block)

[​IMG]

Kelowna (now that I look it up, it was a state on a planet, not the planet). But, yeah, a couple of the episodes were REALLY BAD (like all of seasons 9 and 10 and that freaking random episode that Christopher Judge wrote). But the characters were great and that ending. BEST ending to a TV show ever.

25. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    All hail Derpcat!

I just freed myself from the time sink that is that avatar maker that Goodwood found. And the entire time, I've been sitting with my foot twisted up on the floor because my chair is too low and my legs are too long and now my foot hurts.

Goodwood and Briannakin like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.