main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LexiLupin

LexiLupin Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 27, 2011
    Tell me I'm not the only one who finds this just a little ironic?
    You got a reprieve from the uniforms... by being in a class that mandated uniforms? [face_laugh]

My HS did not have JROTC. We were the sort of community that got up in arms over recruiters at the school so yeah, I don't think that would have worked so well for parents.
    My freshman year of college, I signed up for ROTC on a whim. One of the joys of being in the lowest class was last priority on gear. I looked absurd, everything was over-sized on me. There's a hilarious picture of me in uniform somewhere, now I have to try to dig it up...

2. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Our "senior prank" was getting up at the last assembly of the year, ripping open our jackets to reveal t-shirts that said "Dress Code This, Mr. Messerole!" (He was the senior advisor.) Tame, but senior pranks were officially banned.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  3. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Aside from band performances, I've never had to wear a uniform in my life.

For the third year in a row my city has topped the list of Canada's Most Dangerous City, as ranked by some magazine. I feel like I should be a white female rapper or something.

4. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    The only uniform I've had to wear, outside of khaki pants and a red work shirt at the amusement part I worked at in '05, was the truly hideous thing I had to don every day to work in Food Service at Animal Kingdom. They were these ugly, baggy pinstriped black pants, almost like zoot suit pants, and this African-"inspired" blouse thing that was mostly red but had these . . . squiggles all over it. There was a hat, too. An ugly, ugly hat that I have blocked from my mind.

5. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    I went to high school in Japan, where school uniforms are just the way things are. It never occurred to me to object to them. Clothes are clothes, and I have no fashion sense whatsoever.

6. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I wasn't sure if it was a joke or not either. :p

I went to a military school for college. We were in a uniform unless we were in the shower. We had uniform sleepwear, uniform bathrobes, uniform bathing suits, along with our class uniforms, parade uniforms, dress uniforms, Full Dress uniforms...we even had uniform shower shoes. The only thing that we didn't have uniform was our underwear and that was only for females. The males had uniform boxers (Although I doubt they were ever checked to see if they were wearing their issued underwear).

Do you want to see the ugliest uniform ever issued to me. The US Army Mint Green summer uniform:

[​IMG]

7. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    It's not ironic or funny. [face_plain]

There is a huge difference between wanting to wear a uniform and not wanting too. Those in that course didn't mind wearing the blues of the Air Force. Some of us actually liked them and thought it was a chick/guy magnet. We volunteered.

Can't say the same for the school uniforms.

And yes it was a reprieve from the crappy khakis and navy polos we had to wear. We could be different from everyone else once a week. Identity was a huge thing for us at our school and so when they decided to strip away our right to wear what we want, it hurt. If we got a chance to defy that, we took it.

We know why it was done too. Some prude parents didn't like their kid going to school with other kids that wore derogatory shirts, flashy clothes, dressed like goths, wore their shorts on their knees, etc etc. So they forced their displeasure on the rest of us. None of the poorer families were happy about it either. You may think its a god send that a school has it but to a family that can hardly afford anything, buying two new sets of clothes when the child already had a dozen is a waste of money. And it is, even for the wealthier families. The thirty bucks spent on the sets I had to buy could have paid for food or gas or a Xmas present or two.

Anyway we were basically being told we couldn't be individuals. The teenage years are the most important to a person. It's when you find out who you really are and often a teen expresses that through what they wear.

I'll never support school uniforms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Unfortunately, we live in a world where kids will shoot another child in order to steal his designer jacket. It's a society where wearing once innocent primary colors like blue or red now can indicate gang affiliation. Instead of having police up children wearing vulgar shirts, the use of school uniforms allows the teachers to concentrate on academics. I went to a military school and despite the uniforms we were able to assert our individuality through academics, clubs, volunteer work, leadership roles and such. That is a much more productive way to show you are unique. Clothing should be at the bottom of the list when it comes to expressing your individuality. But that is just my opinion and since I wore a uniform for 11 years I am sort of biased toward them.

The bottom line is...as a mother...I would rather my sons express their individuality by becoming the next Steve Jobs, Neil Armstrong, Albert Einstein, Frank Lloyd Wright, JFK, or Thomas Edison, than getting a cool nose ring and facial tattoo.

9. LexiLupin

Mar 27, 2011
    Sorry, Cmdr, wasn't trying to offend.

We never had uniforms, just school staff that spent way too much time dealing with too-short skirts. At least they overlooked the no flip-flop rule, we'd have never gotten anything done.
    Personally, I went to high school every day in jeans and a hoodie so I've never been big into expression via clothing. Probably because I also hate shopping with a fiery passion.

10. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    I'm not going to say anything more on this subject. I have strong opinions about what is happening with the schools these days and such a topic isn't for this section of the forum anyway.

So.... something more pleasant to talk about, yes? Like oh I don't know... The Hobbit in 4 days maybe? Who's going? When? Excited?

11. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    *drops out of my math-induced coma*

I'm going at some point while I'm on break. Not quite sure exactly when though.

12. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    I'm glad I am not taking mathematics this semester. Of my classes, Geology is the big one... but the easiest. I love the sciences. This week is my final for that class and last. Then off to the midnight showing for The Hobbit the same day. Woot!

13. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I'm going at 12:01 with friends and couldn't be happier!

14. LexiLupin

Mar 27, 2011
    I can't bring myself to be too excited about The Hobbit. What happened to the days when you could go watch a movie and actually see the whole story?
    I'll get hyped in 2014, I guess.

15. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I am going to wait until it is on Netflix. I have never been able to stay awake during any of the LOTR movies. It cost too much to go to a theater and fall asleep.

16. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I always wanted to have school uniforms, that way there was no worry about what you wearing/bullying based on clothes. The state I grew up in is very poor with a few areas of very rich (which was definitely encompassed in my high school) so there was a big dichotomy and it was a source of some tension.

But the only thing I had a uniform for growing up was company dance class, except for the one day a week when we could wear whatever we wanted. I really hated white leotard and ballet pink tights day (aka Mondays). Now I have to wear hospital issued scrubs and I will admit, while I love scrubs because they are comfortable, I'm sick of wearing light blue, shape-less blah.

I hoped to be excited about the Hobbit, but I can't really get into three parts. :( I'm sure I'll go to see it, but yeah...
    I did finally see Skyfall and it was awesome!

17. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    I'm not sure if I'll go see The Hobbit or not. I love the book, but I am still sorely PO'ed at Peter Jackson on his presumptuous ending to The Lord of the Rings' trilogy. To change what happened when Frodo and company went back to the Shire because it wasn't "Hobbit-like" was very insulting to J.R.R. Tolkien. The whole point of that sequence in the storyline was that 1) Frodo, Sam, Pippin and Merry were profoundly changed by their experiences, and 2) if Peter Jackson had bothered to pay attention to the first part of TLotR when Bilbo expounded on the history of the Hobbits, the four (well, not so much Sam) became more like the Hobbits pre-Shire. :mad:[face_frustrated][face_beatup]:mad:

Sorry, end of rant. LOL

18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    School uniforms: my kids wear them. They have plenty of chances to express their individuality--there are a lot more ways than clothes. I've worked in schools all my adult life and the stupid melodramatic bull**** over clothes is ridiculous.

On The Hobbit: I'll go see it, but probably not this weekend.

19. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    My school sucked. No JROTC (which I would have joined had one been available. I scored very highly on my ASVAB), I wasn't permitted to be in any clubs, no one liked me, the curriculum was redundant, and I was stuck in every single remedial class available. I begged and begged and begged for years to be sent to another school, because I was constantly tormented. I pleaded to be put in AP courses, as I always scored very high with the testing. Instead, I flunked one year, went to summer school, my brother was sent to a different school because my bad reputation was affecting him, and I gave up and tried to get expelled. It didn't work. I was suspended once, then just received detention on a regular basis. After a while, the faculty ignored my outbursts, even though more than a few of them were violent. I was voted "Most Likely to End Up on America's Most Wanted," my nickname at school was "Psycho," and I gave up entirely. I spent a few weeks in my senior year in a psychiatric hospital and I barely graduated.

I have absolutely no plans whatsoever to ever bother with attending any high school reunion. Everyone can go screw themselves, for all I care.

As for uniforms, we didn't have any, though I think it would have greatly improved the attitude of the student body if we did. Woe be those whose families lived on dollar store budgets.

20. LexiLupin

Mar 27, 2011
    I never knew that was why they cut the Scouring of the Shire plot, I just assumed it was because they wasted too much time on things like over-exaggerating the battle at Helm's Deep and butchering Faramir's character. I had such a book crush on him. Movies, not so much, though he did eventually come 'round. [face_plain]
    What (supposedly) wasn't "Hobbit-like" about it? The whole taking up arms against the oppressors thing?

21. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    It wasn't cut out actually. It is seen in Galadriel's mirror. Yeah it is in the wrong place but its still in the movie. What was cut out was Saruman's death and if Christopher Lee (who knew and was friends with Tolkein) hadn't made a big stink about it, it wouldn't have been added to the Extended Cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Yup, I personally always liked the Scouring of the Shire because Tolkien was a master of character development and that is a culmination of it.

23. LexiLupin

Mar 27, 2011
    The scene in the mirror was a 'what-if' in the event of Frodo's failure. Not a 'oh, so while you're off saving the rest of Middle Earth, your home is being exploited for its great weed.' That plot was marginally more hinted at when Merry & Pippin found the barrels at Isengard (which may have also just been in the extended?) but they never really questioned how it got there.

I really need to reread the whole series now. Starting with the Hobbit, actually, it has been way too long.

24. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    It may have been shown in the mirror, but it's not really the same thing. You don't get the same sense from it as you did in the book... that the Hobbit heroes no longer truly fit in, with the exception perhaps of Sam, with the rest of Hobbit society. Plus, it was said by Peter Jackson himself that he didn't like the ending of Tolkien's LoTR trilogy because of Frodo and company coming to fight off the scoundrels who took over the Shire. Presumptuous "horse hockey" (my favorite colorful metaphor via Colonel Potter from M*A*S*H).

Truly said, Ish. He is also the master of bringing to life the surrounding scenery, so much so that the reader felt they were literally in the room, tasting, touching and smelling everything the characters were experiencing. I guess you can say Tolkien is one of the authors whom I aspire to write like (I come very much short on scenery... I concentrate on the characters so much that chairs kind of magically come out of the woodwork for them to sit upon LOL).

25. LexiLupin

Mar 27, 2011
    Just cut down on the poetry and songs though, eh? :p

Also- mule fritters!
    (M*A*S*H rules)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.