main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    The Celine Dion thing with her manager is really creepy. But one of my great aunts married a guy 40 years older than her (this was back in the 50's). It wasn't that odd because of where they lived. They had 4 kids and were happily married for 20 years until he died.

Nanci, you cougar ;)

2. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Damn skippy.

3. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I have no problem with Cougars. If my spouse ever kicked the bucket I will be on Cougarlife.com in a heartbeat. :p But if I dated a guy that was 20 years younger than me and then I found out he is the son of an old High School buddy...well, that would be too awkward for me...even if I haven't seen the kid since he was one year old.

4. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    A decade difference isn't too bad. My mom is 12 years older than my dad. So I'm use to such a large gap in age. Though a friend is dating this guy well old enough to be her father and I disapprove because of the age difference and that I know he's using her.

I'm not sure how much different in age Kyp and Jaina are but I always considered him to be old enough to be borderline-father old. At least that is the perception I got when he started to be interested in the books from to when she was born. I always thought she would end up with Zekk since the YJK series were the first books I read. I hated what the Swarm War trilogy did to him.

This message brought to you by the letter S and by the letter W.

5. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    He's 14 years older than her, which is only 3 older than Han is from Leia.

When she's 16 and he's 30, that's creepy. When she's 35 and he's 49, not so much.

6. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I think Kyp is 16 years older than Jaina. The Swarm Wars did awful things to everybody. We need a SHUDDERS icon. lol!

Let's see Wookiepedia says he was born 7BBY and Jaina was born 9ABY. Does that mean 16 or 17 years difference? Is there a 0ABY?

7. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    That birthdate is off, 'cause he tells Han when they meet that his parents were arrested when he was 8 and he's been in Kessel 8 years, which makes him 16 when Jaina is 2. Of course, he's also listed as having black, curly hair, which later canon completely ignores.

8. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Didn't his eyes change color a couple times? I think he is a shape shifter!

9. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    Gasp! A shapeshifter has replaced the real Kyp Durron and has fallen for Jaina! It explains it all! Either that or a Body Snatcher got him. :p

10. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Oh that would be an awkward plot bunny. Callista leaves Luke for Kyp Durron. She's a mega-cougar! (Maybe not physically but mentally she is old enough to be Kyp's grandmother). I wonder how Luke would handle that?

Ceillean likes this.
  11. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    Rofl. Write it!

12. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    I'm not quite sure, but I suspect it's The Essential Reader's Companion.

13. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    The ERC: Essential Reader's Companion

Full of pretty pictures. Buy it for the pictures.

14. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    LOL.

I really disliked how Callista was easily old enough to be Luke's mother, yet no one in profic seemed to mentioned that small fact. I mean, the MINIMUM she could have been at the time of her first death was 20, right? But for all we know, with the way humans age in Star Wars, she could have been 40 or 50 in 18bby! I'm all for trying to make age gaps work, but that's a little too much or a gap. Maybe there's a reason we don't know Callista's age :p

SOOO MANY PRETTY PICTURES IN ERC!!!!

I have discovered that I have a new pet peeve today: people who have birthdays at the beginning of the year. My best friend's birthday is at the beginning of February. I want to get her something cool but if I want to buy it online, I have to buy it pretty soon because shipping takes so long. I was thinking about maybe trying to finish my novella by that time and giving that to her on a flash drive (or at least a very rough copy), but I estimate that I'll be done it right around that time, so that's cutting it a bit close.

15. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    My favorite pic from the ERC. :3

[​IMG]

You can just feel the love.

16. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    LOL. When I first saw that picture, I thought of you.

So, I have decided that I am going to try to finish my novella for my friend for her birthday (yay! motivation), and if I don't make it, I'll give her a card explaining that I am trying to get it done ASAP. Do you guys think that's a good idea, because she is a huge supporter of my writing

17. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I like the idea. The card could also include a preview, perhaps the first three chapters, to get her salivating.

18. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Hmmm. Yeah. Thanks. She is the only person in the world who has read any substantial part of it (I let her read the first chapter one day as a bribe for something and she had been annoying be ever since for more), so she'd probably love a bit more of it, even if I don't complete it. BUT I NEED TO TRY TO FINISH IT SO I CAN GET THIS SHAVIT DONE. It's a first person POV, yet I hate writing first person, so it has taken me much longer than I had hoped.

19. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    I absolutely adore writing first person. It's so much easier because you can really get into your characters head. And it's even easier when you change the tense to the present.

Writing second person is fun, too. But difficult. I tend to make my characters suffer when writing second person. :p

20. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    This story needed to be in first person because the audience needs to be in the main character's head, but normally I don't write in first person POV present tense, so it has been a challenge for me. I have written a short second person POV, it was fun, but I could never write anything more than like 3000 words in it. I write to play God, so i mostly do third person unless it's a diary. I can't play God if I am stuck in one person :p

I currently have Handel Messiah's Hallelujah Chorus BLASTED at 12:30 am, so take from that what you want :/

21. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    I only tried writing fanfic first-person once. Didn't care for it. My first novel (and its sequels) are all first-person, which works a lot better for that character and her universe. But the one I have coming out this month is third-person, too. I guess for me it just depends on the situation.

I can't write in present-tense. It drives me nuts to read as well as to write.

22. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    [quote="Jedi_Lover, post: 50314223, member: 1148811]Oh that would be an awkward plot bunny. Callista leaves Luke for Kyp Durron. She's a mega-cougar! (Maybe not physically but mentally she is old enough to be Kyp's grandmother). I wonder how Luke would handle that?[/quote]
    That's just about the most terrifying thing I've ever read!! *hides*

I bought the ERC at an over-run/over-stock type bookstore and I'll agree... it's fantastic! <3

23. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    I hadn't even heard of the ERC. [face_blush] I've been so detached from Star Wars for the past six months or so. I have no idea which books are coming out soon, which books I've missed. I have no clue whatsoever what's going on in the EU. I know that Kyp's still alive. That's good for starters. :p
    I have some catching up to do.

24. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Scoundrels!

25. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Totally random, here... but here are two quotes that I just found and rather like:

“A human being is a part of the whole called by us universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feeling as something separated from the rest, a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty.”

“The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self.”

Hehe, Qui-Gon Jinn and Albert Einstein were one and the same! Perhaps if the Jedi Council knew this, they'd have paid more attention. :p

jcgoble3 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.