main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Same, here.

2. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Hell, I was wary about getting eye surgery at first. Then, I found out that I would be knocked out completely for it. I was grateful for that, as there is no way in hell I'll be able to just sit there and watch them operate on my eye.

3. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    I had laser eye surgery and I didn't get knocked out for it. It's a weird procedure though as you stare into this laser light that is burning your eyeball and you can smell your eye being burned. It was definitely a strange feeling.

4. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I had strabismus surgery, which involved the repositioning of one of my eye muscles. Had to thankfully be knocked out for that. My right eye still has scarring where the muscle was removed and replanted. It looks kinda weird.

5. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    I am near 100% certain any eye surgery I'd undergo would require me to be knocked out for it. [face_hypnotized]

6. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    I still wear glasses because I would rather that than have someone come at my eyes with any sharp implement, be it needle, scalpel, or laser. *shudder*

People are ticking me off tonight, going on about Doctor Who's current run being sexist. Uh. What? The run that's given us a truckload of kick-butt females like River, Amy, Nefertiti (would love to see her again), and Queen Liz 10? Please.

7. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    That sounds like one of my worse nightmares. *shudders*

Heck, I get nervous when I use eye drops.

8. Draconarius

Draconarius Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    I blame the last Final Destination movie for my inability to even think about laser eye surgery. [face_sick] Though I think I will have to bite the bullet and get it done, eventually, my eyes just keep getting worse. Kind of cursed because my line of work forces me to use a computer for long hours.

9. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I would love to have Lasix! It does scare the crap out of me but I would do it in a heart beat.

I just moved and things in my room aren't quite set up yet, so the place I always put my glasses isn't there yet. I thought I was going to have to wake one of my roomates to find them for me the other morning. I eventually found them, but I would love to be able to wake up and actually see. (If you didn't gather, I really can't see without correction.)

10. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    In order to fully correct my eyes, I need strabismus surgery on the other eye to balance them out. Needless to say... I'm not in any real hurry to get it done. :p

I can see without glasses, as long as I lean in real close. I'm nearsighted, with decreased vision in my right eye, and for the most part, glasses solve the problem, at least with reading. Though, my vision has since changed and I'm long overdue for an appointment and new glasses.

11. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Eye talk!

I never could stand the thought of touching my eyes - but I wear contacts with no problem. I, too, had one eye muscle repositioned and another shortened (problem: crossed eyes) and I wasn't awake for it, so no problem.

My mother has had two lens transplanted AND had the stitches adjusted, all done while awake. She has to put drops in her eyes daily and it still makes her crazy whereas I have no problem with drops - and the glaucoma test - I find that puff of air to be refreshing (although I do jump in reflex).

12. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    I've developed astigmatism in both eyes now, but in general, my right eye is farsighted at 20/25, so it barely needs correction. My left eye, which is unfortunately dominant, is nearsighted at 20/4000. Without my glasses, I'd technically be considered legally blind in it. I'm a little nervous because there have been rumblings from eye doctors about my right optic nerve possibly detaching or something. It's got a weird structure where it attaches to my eye, so there are concerns. I hope it doesn't happen.

13. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    My grandfather had retinal tears, which apparently can be genetic, so now I have that to watch out for. The crossed eyes I inherited from my grandma, who is blind in one eye because it wasn't treated. My eye was treated because I still have sight in it, but I was told that I'll eventually go blind in it anyway.

14. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    . . . Lovely. That's something to look forward to, kind of like my 200% chance of getting breast cancer. My mom's had it, her mother's had it, and her sister had it. I'm 31 and I've already had two mammograms.

So I had an interesting weekend. We've been rat-sitting for my brother and his significant other (they were married, they got divorced, they still see each other as a couple, and they have joint custody of two rats and a gerbil. IDK what to call her.), and on Friday evening, I'm sitting on the sofa, reading a J.D. Robb book, and out of the corner of my eye, I see something moving. I glance over, and there's a little white rat bouncing gleefully across the living room rug. Sure enough, the cage is open and both rats are out and about. I don't know how it happened.

Anyway, I hollered for my mother, we rounded up the larger of the two rats (the black one) and put him back in the cage.

The white one, meanwhile, managed to escape . . . into my room. Which has tons of hiding spaces. We spent FIVE HOURS hunting the little varmint down and finally cornered him/her/it behind my computer tower. At one point, I was sitting on the floor in exhaustion, leaning my back against my bed, and the little beast came up and tickled my back with both paws and a nose and whiskers. I tried to grab it, but it got away and it was another two hours before I managed to finally catch it.

15. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    My family history is horrible for genetic diseases. My sister and I both have type 1 Diabetes from my father, who actually went blind from his. One of my grandmothers survived 3 types of cancers (half her body is gone) and the other grandmother is currently battling breast cancer. I'm just waiting for the day that I get it.

16. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Congestive heart failure lurks on my dad's side. My grandma has a pacemaker currently. My mom suspects that my half-brother and I have Marfan's, as we ended up with short torsos and long limbs, while my younger brother is of normal proportion. When I was in the hospital with my first kidney stone, I was even asked if I had Marfan's because the doctor suspected that the pain I was in was caused by an aortic dissection. Thankfully, it wasn't. As far as I know, my aorta is fine. And as far as kidney stones... I'm the only one in my family who has them, aside from my cousin, but he's only related by marriage on my mom's side.

Welcome to the Crazy Cantina, where the patrons are all insane freaks of nature who have horrible genetic problems. :p

17. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    LOL.

My step-father believes I have Marfan's, but even though I am tall for a woman (especially in my short family), there is no way I have it. I do have freakishly long fingers, long feet and INSANELY long toes (we are talking finger length, money toe, long). I was also two feet long as a newborn.

18. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    I had a good night at work, get to my car and turn the radio on. 'Eternal Flame' by the Bangles is playing.

It's the little things, you know? :D

TrakNar likes this.
  19. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    It's raining outside. :3

20. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    TrakNar: I'm curious, how does being cross eyed make you go blind?

Hrmm, not sure I am all that freaky in terms of genes. I do have Asperger's though, and when I was born I had my umbilical cord around my neck twice, and I'm 5'9" tall.

21. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Well, if your eyes are crossed, you see double. To deal with this, your brain decides to only receive signals from one eye. The other eye atrophies. My left eye is dominant and correctly aligned, while my right eye is weaker and misaligned. My brain doesn't receive signals from my right eye as much as it knows it's misaligned and therefore doesn't use it. That lack of use causes the eye to atrophy.

I also have Asperger's and my umbilical cord was wrapped around my neck (came out Cesarean section), but I'm only 5'7".

22. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I'm 5'11".

Funny, the umbilical cord was also wrapped around my neck (kind of, my head was trapped against myy mother's hip thanks to the cord). Unfortunately the doctor was a moron, didn't do a cesarean until she prematurely collapsed the cord, cutting me off from oxygen. I came out blue and dead. They eventually revived me, but I had massive brain damage. I have Cerebral Palsy because of it. I was supposed to be a complete vegetable. Guess they were wrong about that.

23. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    My umbilical cord wasn't wrapped around my neck, but my placenta did disintegrate before I was born. I was born at around 25-26 weeks (the middle of the week?), weighed 1lb 14oz, and was 14in long. They said that even if I survived (they said I wouldn't make it through the night, it's been 31 years), I wouldn't make it to 5 feet tall. Ha! I'm 5-foot-TWO, suckers! :p

My grandmother, the one with breast cancer, has also had kidney and colon cancer. She has some sort of syndrome that causes cancer? Anyway, when the doctor was telling us (the family was gathered in a consult room while they moved Grandma to recovery) about this syndrome, and said it's genetic and tends to get worse after each generation, I threw my hands in the air and blurted, "Woohoo, I'm screwed!" and everyone in the family laughed. The doctor was like ". . . :confused:" No one understands us.

When my mom was going through chemo and radiation, or about to start, whichever, the doctor told her that she'd lose her hair (duh), have nausea, and experience swelling at the site of the radiation treatment. He asked her if she had any questions, and she said, "So, lemme get this straight. I'm gonna lose weight and my boobs will get bigger?"

. . . Yeah. That's my family in a nutshell.

24. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I'd say something about wanting my boobs to get bigger if I lost weight, but nevermind. :p Yaaaaay some weird hypoplasia thingie that my mom's doctor thinks I have, even though she's never seen me...

25. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Believe me, you don't wish for that! No way, no how; I'd be happy to wiggle my nose like Samantha and wish 3/4 your way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.