main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    This used to drive me crazy...and still does but not as much. I hate working with people with no email, because then I need to call them up. I am being treated for PTSD, depression, anxiety and PMDD. I am one hellava fun person to be around. lol! Nah, as long as I don't get triggered I am fine. I get triggered then I end up in the hospital having the mother of all anxiety attacks with muscles twitching. When it is really bad it is like all my muscles are vibrating. The best way to describe it is if you are standing on some high voltage electrical box that is vibrating with energy. Or like one of those back massagers that hook on the back of a seat and vibrates. It feels like I am standing on one of those. Its like every muscle is shivering. It is really a weird sensation. The last time it happened it took over a week to stop some of the twitching.

I've never heard of anybody else experiencing this type of weird response.

2. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Yep - been there, done that, have that.. funny thing is, I worked in a call center until our office got closed, and I LOVED my job, even though it was everything that would set off 'attacks' - I would just have to take a lot of breathers...

3. LLL

LLL Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2000

Ooooh, you're going to NYC??? Wow.

I went once when I was 12. It'd be so cool to go again someday. Although...when I was 12, I stood on top of the WTC and looked down. Not being able to do that anymore would be sad.

4. LLL

Jul 16, 2000

LEIAMOODY!!!!

((((hugs))))

The author of "Moonwater Perfume"!

I gotta to get with you about that novel I was telling you about...

5. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Yes, but you're going to be loopy...er soon.

And LLL, yes, I have two cousins and a cousin-in-law, all from California, all currently living in the Bronx. The cousin-in-law suggested that I get around to visiting some time. I found that the ABT was doing Swan Lake at the Metropolitan Opera House in June.

6. LLL

Jul 16, 2000
    OH.

MY

GOD.

You get to see THAT????

*dies*

7. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I've never seen Swan Lake in person (seen many versions taped). I may have to make a trip down to NYC to see it considering I'm not that far!

I'm really excited that the Boston Ballet is doing Coppélia this spring and I've never seen that ballet in person either.

8. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    I've seen Coppelia only as its incarnation in "Tales Of Hoffman", since my mother did the makeup and hair for that opera when Brigham Young University put it on a few years ago. She was nominated for a KCACTF for it, though she lost to Utah Valley University's "Nosferatu".

9. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Haven't ever seen Swan Lake aside from a small portion of it that they did for Center Stage, but our local Ballet company puts on an awesome Nutcracker.

10. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    I have seen Swan lake very long ago in Amsterdam with my mother.

11. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Funny enough, I have never seen Swan Lake ( I know, I know...) Phantom of the Opera, yes, more times than I can count (and in two languages yet!) and I'm hoping to catch "War Horse" here in Seattle - very tempting to wear my WH tee shirt I got when it was playing at the National Theartre - I was so excited to catch something before it got moved to the West End, and years before it hit Broadway.

Aurg!! I have been attacked by an opening line/scene from a story, but as soon as I open word to capture it, it disappears like smoke!!! :mad:

12. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I don't remember when I first saw Swan Lake, but it had to be before I was 10 because I remember going to Safeway with my best friend and she convinced me to dance the finale in the ice cream aisle. I consciously remember seeing it at Boston Ballet when I was 12 because it was the year that I won first prize at the Stringfest and then had to rush off home so I could dress up for the ballet. It's my favorite of the ballet stories and I adore the music.

13. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I do love the music from Swan Lake (and the ballet, as I've seen it on video) and would say it is one of my favorite of the famous ballet pieces of music, though it's not Christmas to me without the Nutcracker.

I saw Boston Ballet's Romeo and Juliet last year which was fantastic! I drug my sister-in-law -who had never seen a ballet before- along with me. It was interesting to talk about it with her because we came from such different points of view. She, never having taken a dance class in her life and knowing nothing about ballet and me having done ballet all my life and having studied with some famous instructors. (Not that I was ever good enough to even consider becoming a professional dancer, but I always worked my butt off!)

14. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Was it the Prokofiev Romeo and Juliet or a different one? I played the Prokofiev when I was 12 and saw it when I was 25 onstage.

And I know what you mean, mav. I'm the same way when I go to the symphony. I have an opinion on everything because of so many years spent in orchestras. It's also fun to go with friends who are fellow musicians. One notable time, I got a friend tickets to see the Dvorak New World Symphony played and she had played it the year before. She kept bowing along with the second violin part and elbowing me in the ribs while doing it.

15. LLL

Jul 16, 2000
    The state ballet company here is putting on Swan Lake this month. I'd love to go, but probably won't have the funds.

16. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    After all my years in concert band, I like to nit-pick whenever I go to concerts. I can always tell when percussion messes up. But I rarely go because I honestly get bored. I'm a performer, not a listener. But I think going to a ballet would be cool. Especially something like Swan Lake.

My mother had to fly back to where she's from (the East coast of Canada) last minute because my great grandmother is dying (she's almost 90), so because I was NOT staying with my step-father for a week, I am currently camping on my sister's kitchen floor.

17. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    Being a total barbarian when it comes to the fine arts, this is about all I can appreciate:

mavjade and Luna_Nightshade like this.
  18. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    It was the Prokofiev. :)
    LOL! Apparently, my parents went to see the Nutcracker we used to be involved in (they were involved long before I started dancing and a few years after I graduated) where my dad was Stage Manager and Technical Director. The show hasn't really changed much over the years and apparently my mom kept having to elbow my dad because he was calling the cues, loud enough that others could kinda hear him.

I'm sorry to hear about your great grandmother, Briannakin. :( [:D]

19. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
  20. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Sorry to hear that, Briannakin. :(

I actually saw my very first live ballet performance this Christmas- my boyfriend took me to see the Long Beach Ballet's production of The Nutcracker, which was one of the funniest versions I've ever seen. I'm not sure why they made all the artistic choices they did, and he chose that performance because it was the only local performance that included a full, live orchestra (he's a cellist and I'm a violist, so we care about that sort of thing). But between the a) pyrotechnics, b) the Mouse King breaking out into the moonwalk during his death scene, and c) the breakdancing Russians, I have to say I had an excellent time.

And now that I have my life back, I CAN DO THINGS AGAIN!! I think there's some sort of cello festival coming to LA in March, which I will inevitably be going to. Apparently they play Shostakovich 5 at every concert, and that's one I need to hear live. Definitely looking forward to the wide world of being able to do things that aren't at work. :D

21. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Lazy, funny story about that. One day, my mom was waiting for a plane with my baby brother and needed to use the bathroom. This nice group of men offered to watch him while she went and she decided to let them. When she got back, they got to talking and she found out they were musicians. Before they parted ways, they gave her their autographs.

Which is how we have the Canadian Brass' autographs hanging in my parents' house.

I also got to see them when I was at Interlochen Arts Camp in '93. Absolutely brilliant guys.

Briannakin, my thoughts are with you and your family. Keep us posted.

LLL, since this is going to be at the Metropolitan Opera House and with the American Ballet Theater and my favorite ballet, I splurged and am paying almost as much for one ticket as I am for the hotel for 4 nights. I have a really good seat. Edit: It's not a really expensive ticket, just a very inexpensive hotel. I found a place where I can stay 4 nights for about 170. The ticket with fees and everything is 122.

My family went to the Nutcracker a lot, mostly because my sister's best friend's dad worked on the sets and got us tickets.

LLL likes this.
  22. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Oh. Thanks guys. I'll miss her, even though I've only met her twice. She was here on the west coast last summer and I nearly made her pee herself laughing. I was telling a really dirty joke to my grandfather and I guess she overheard. Apparently she was on death's door last week but when my mother and grandmother got there, she miraculously felt better.

What DID die last night was the air mattress I was supposed to be sleeping on. I guess the hole was a lot bigger than what I thought it was. Thankfully I had money and Walmart wasn't for another 20 minutes. I am now the proud owner of a forest green queen size air mattress. Sad thing is, the 6 C batteries needed for the pump cost more than the mattress.

The Canadian Brass are awesome - we used to watch videos all the time of them in band class and I saw Brandon Ridnour at MusicFest Canada in 2010.

23. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Cello nerdiness commenced: I have successfully played "Into the West" to go along with all my random hymns and folk tunes...

24. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I can't play anything. [face_plain]

25. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I played mallet percussion in high school. My friends and I went though the music cupboard and picked out all the nerdy music and convinced the band teacher to teach the class all the pieces we picked. There was the music to Harry Potter, Indiana Jones, LOTR and STAR WARS TPM. I got to play the tubular bells for Duel of the Fates - it was the definition of epicness. Sadly, I don't play anymore. One of these days I'm going to pick up more of a solo instrument.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.