main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Lol. What a jerk move. At least when I figured out my surprise birthday last year, I didn't really say anything.

But now I guess it's been postponed to next Saturday, which works better for me, but I just wished they would have told me BEFORE I set up all the Skype calls, or thought of this in the first place. I kinda want to strangle these people. And it is quite odd to have a birthday party nearly two weeks after her actual birthday.

2. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Two weeks late makes it a real surprise.

3. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I guess so. But it shall be extremely awkward when she sees me in the middle of the week and asks me what's wrong and all I want to do is yell, I want to strangle these two friends of ours and your boyfriend. It will also be awkward when 4 people Skype me tonight from Kenya and I have to explain all the drama and ask them to call again next week.

4. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    This is the reason I don't have Real-Life friends (okay, one of many reasons ;)). If any of my internet friends on this site irritate me I just go to their profile and push IGNORE. :p

5. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    The only actual surprise party I've ever been involved in was for my mom's 50th birthday. At the time I was in college so I managed to get home for it and they had it at my grandparents house where we almost always did pizza and beer at their house for birthdays of those over 21. One of the neighbors (some of my parents friends)had everyone park at or near their house and turned on a bunch of lights so it looked like they were having people over, anyone with a recognizable car (like me) parked elsewhere and was shuttled to the house. We then all hid in my grandparents bedroom until she got in, then everyone else went out and my brother and I continued to hide until everyone else had gotten to see her.
    Best surprise party ever!(She loved it!)

Personally, I don't like surprise parties because I pretty much have to psych myself up to go to a party, being the introvert that I am, and not getting to do that makes me a little on edge.

6. LexiLupin

LexiLupin Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 27, 2011
    I've never been part of a surprise party. I did once sneak home from college though to surprise my parents for Thanksgiving, they thought I was staying with a local friend. I coordinated with my brother, who picked me up from the bus station early in the morning and then took me to my mother's work for lunch. The look on her face (approximately [face_hypnotized]) was priceless. We tried to get my dad to come for the lunch surprise too, but he had a lot going on at work. So we drove to his work and then I had to call him and tell him I was in town so he would come out to the parking lot and say hi. A little anti-climactic that way. :p

7. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    When I was in the Army I once few back home and surprised my parents. I didn't tell them I was coming because I was taking Space-A military flights and I didn't know if I would actually be able to get from the east to the west coast.

8. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Speaking of surprises, I'm home from the hospital! I was told early this morning I couldn't go home until tomorrow at the earliest, and I was really depressed, even had myself a pity cry. Then the nurse in charge of me decided to see if I could maintain my desired oxygen level at room air for a little while. When I did, they let me off the oxygen and I was given a little more freedom to roam around. Still very restless, depressed, etc. I hate being trapped anywhere.

So I pop into the bathroom, do my thing, come out to wash my hands, and my nurse just sorta POOFs into the doorway of my room and goes, "You still wanna go home right now?" and I went, "Well, yeah", and he says, "Your doctor was just here, he thought you were in the shower, but I told him about your progress, and he's sending you home today".

Seriously, I was so happy that I couldn't contain myself. And since I was being discharged, they didn't hook me up to any of the torture devices- I mean, monitoring equipment, and I had free roam of the hospital ward until my mom came to get me. So I've been home most of the day now, and right now I'm sprawled on the bed (one without weird mechanics in it) and have a cat curled up on my feet. I still hurt horribly from the surgery, but I'm so happy to be home, I don't even care.

LLL likes this.
  9. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Congrats on being home early! [:D] =D=

All quiet on the Pennsylvanian front... aside from my damn knee, which was feeling worse today. I was out in town with my dad, told him about my knee and said that I should probably consider getting it checked. I limped through Wal-mart and Giant, limped to Sheetz to use the Mac machine, winced and muttered in pain getting in and out of the car, but I sucked it up and dealt with it.

Then, while at Wal-mart, my dad said that I'll need to witness my grandma's will. [face_plain]

10. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Aw, man. That sucks.

Go get that knee looked at! I put mine off for years and had tons of damage to fix inside 'cause of it. If it needs fixing now, it'll only get worse later, trust me.

11. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Yay for you being home. That little room was too cramped.

I've had two surprise parties given to me. The first was when I turned 10. They invited all the girls in my class and convinced my best friend's mom to fly her out from Portland to visit. My other best friend took me to Plimoth Plantation for the day and then I walked into my dining room to find this huge party for me. That was the party where my sister accidentally cut off her fingertip and, wonders of wonders, my parents havent done a birthday party for me since.

The second was when I was turning 21. The day of my birthday, I had classes all day and then orchestra rehearsal. Then it was the Fanfiction Awards here for 2001 and I got to sit at a campus computer and cry for happiness when it went well for me. Then I came home and my Korean roommate gave me a "Baby's 1st Christmas" ornament for my birthday, which was very sweet and funny. The next day, people kept telling me happy birthday when I saw them on campus and I stayed late to finish a paper. Same thing happened on Wednesday. Finally, on thursday, I came back to my room after dinner and my roommate would not let me leave. It turned out that they had tried on Monday, Tuesday AND Wednesday to throw me a surprise party and I hadn't known to show up.

The funniest surprise party I've been involved in, though, was for Kateydidnt. Her birthday was on a thursday, but Monday was a federal holiday. I only had to work part of the day, so did all the cooking and baking while she was at work. Then people showed up and she was running late. I kept calling her and she admitted on one phone call that she was going to come home and go straight to bed. This with more than a dozen people hiding behind couches and down our spiral staircase. Luckily, when she got the surprise, she was happy and actually stayed up for three hours past what she intended.

LLL likes this.
  12. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    I remember how frustrated and anxious you were over that!

Decided to celebrate being home again by running a promo on my book. :D It's gonna be free for 48 hours, starting at midnight tonight . . . in some timezone. Pacific? IDK.

Also, Pacific generally works better as a word if you don't spell it Paicfci . . .

13. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Dantana Skywalker: good to hear you're out of hospital! Hope you have a speedy recovery. :)

I have a question. Does anyone else live in a house that's perpetually cold? I don't know what it is about my mum but she likes to keep the hold frozen and always says 'put on more clothes' when I say it's cold. I'm sorry but 3+ layers and thick gloves is too much! It doesn't help that the thermostat is more of a rough guide than any kind of useful device. My room isn't too bad, but right now it's even cold in here!

14. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I used to, but then one night after the usual roommate had turned off all heat and it was in the single digits, I covered the climate control with a sign about how that was how I got pneumonia in the first place and that if they had issues with it being too hot, they should find a smart roommate to teach them how to turn it DOWN. I haven't had that problem since.

LLL likes this.
  15. LLL

LLL Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2000
    It's just frickin' drafty in here. The place is as old as I am and all the doors and windows need replacing. Plus there is only 1 heating vent in each of the front rooms.

The good thing is we have a gas fireplace which will warm the back rooms nicely, but then you go to bed or to type in either of the front rooms and you have to bundle up.

16. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    My sister's kitchen floor was REALLY nippy. Thankfully I'm back home now in my flannel sheets with my Dyson heater (seriously the best $350 I've ever spent).

17. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    I have a "sherpa" blanket, forest green mink on one side, faux sheepskin on the other. One of the best purchases I've ever made. It's soft and fuzzy and so warm!

I collect fleece blankets, sort of. I like getting the plush fuzzy ones with pretty patterns.

18. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    My grandmother has a Sherpa blanket. Damn those things are nice.

19. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I am at a friend's house and her 11-year-old autistic has discovered The Lion King. It's been a very noisy night.

20. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    My bedroom is perpetually cold, and my bed is right beside one window and below another. The rest of my apartment I keep at a constant 69 degrees. If I get cold, I put on a hoodie. I'm used to the cold, after living at my brother's apartment, which is cold and drafty.

21. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Shivering sucks when your abdomen is sliced up. I'm happy to be warm. Of course, I also don't want pneumonia again.

I just finished a good book trilogy, by Maggie Stiefvater, called "Wolves of Mercy Falls". The first book was a little clunky, but the second two, I couldn't put down. They're what Twilight desperately wished it was.

22. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Oh, Twilight. Brings back days of my high school life when friendships were formed over the hatred of that book.

Glad you are back in the comforts of home Dantana.

Also a question: if you had to write (like handwrite) an essay in 80 minutes, how many words would it be? I have an exam on Tuesday and we have the question already and we are allowed to bring in a one page outline (which is both good and bad), but because I'm disabled, I get to type it and I get double the time. I've been in this situation before where I don't really want to waste my time and type way more than I have to, but I really don't know how long the average length of essay my classmates are going to be able to pump out.

23. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Essay in 80 minutes? It depends on how "in the zone" I am, and how well the words flow. Usually, I get perhaps a page written. I also write big. And sloppily. And working from outlines slows me down.

I've been spending my late nights and mornings coughing. Wake up before my alarm and cough. Hit the snooze and cough. Roll over and cough. Get up and cough. Go to the bathroom and cough. Get dressed and cough. Eat breakfast and cough. The cough settles down in the evening, but until then, it gets annoying.

Though, my knee is feeling better!

24. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Ugg. I hate nights like that. I try to sleep upright on pillows when I'm sick so that all the lovely fluids can flow down out of my head, but it makes my back and neck so sore, I don't sleep anyways. Thankfully I have yet to get really sick this year other than a sore throat for a few days around the holidays. I really hope I just didn't jinx myself.

I'm looking up my WPM issue here and I'm getting averages between 15 and 25 words written in a minute. I guess it does depend on the person. I guess at the low end that's about 1200 words and the high end is 2000 if a person is keeping a constant speed and writing that many words every minute for the entire 80 minutes, which doesn't sound very normal.

25. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Yeah, no one keeps a constant speed. I know that I pause and think quite often, particularly if I work from an outline. I also type with only two fingers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.