main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I've always read it as "Hayps," and didn't have too much of a problem with "Jaina," or "Zsinj" (Zinge), or "Xizor" (She-zore). Stuff like "Drizzt," I just add another syllable: Drizzit.

2. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Honestly, neither pronunciation for Hapes is particularly flattering. One sounds rhymes with "rapes" and the other sounds like an STD. Lessee, what other pronunciations can we find for it? . . .

Haw-pess?
    Happies?
    Take a Romanian influence and pronounce it "ha-pesh"?

3. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    I've never heard of the name "Teniel" before. I'd have pronounced it "Ten-ee-ell".

For Hapes, I take the German approach and say "Hah-pez". "Hayps" sounds too much like a slang term for some kind of embarrassing disease. Zsinj to me is "Singe", Xizor is "Zy-zore", and Drizzt is "Drizzt" but it's still a stupid name. :p See, though, there are lots of ways to pronounce all those names. Why not just pick something that's intuitive for an English reader to pronounce? I've never seen "Jaina" used anywhere outside of SW, but I immediately knew how to pronounce it. Same with Zekk and Tenel Ka and most of the other names that crop up in the EU.

I mean, I get why it's done, it's supposed to sound all different and otherworldly, but honestly the effect is kinda lost on me when I'm just reading "blah". Although I loved the bit in the Thrawn trilogy where Zahn has Han say that the Empire just hit "Bpfassh and two unpronounceable ones". It's like yes, it's unpronounceable to the reader, but also to the rest of the characters. If that's the point, then fine. If the character goes by "Mel" because no one can pronounce "vhMellad'trikgnn" then I'll accept it. :p But the main characters' names are important to me in a story, and I want to know how to pronounce them, either intuitively or by being told.

4. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Who knows, maybe Hapes has a silent H. Then it would be the planet of the...

Nah...too dumb of a joke to finish.

jcgoble3, Goodwood, Zeta1127 and 2 others like this.
  5. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    It just makes me wonder what the reader's definition of "normal" is. Normal to the UK, to the US, to South Africa, Australia, China? (Not China, as the reviewer was in the UK, but . . .) What if I lived somewhere that Shaniqua was normal, and I'd named my character that? I do live somewhere that names like LeVerl are "normal". It's a little silly to expect everyone to conform to your idea of normal and to knock them if they don't.

6. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    [face_laugh] *not going to go there*

Its the yslermees (force bubble weasle things) I always read them as 'y-salamies' and have visions of them being served up in Dex's other venture - Dex's Deli....

7. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    Sure, but they're not knocking you or expecting anything, they're just pointing out what they didn't like in the book. The big warrior hero guy being called "Pete" would be a reason for me to stay away from a book, or like it less, and I might say so in a review. That's not me knocking the author or expecting everyone to have the same taste in names as me, that's me saying what I personally didn't like about the book. :p

8. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    *lol* I had to read those a few times as well before I could figure out a pronunciation. I arrived at "Ih-sah-la-mee-ree". But y-salamies is great. [face_laugh] Special Jedi treat, maybe?

LLL likes this.
  9. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Oh, this was knocking the book, alright. Whatever. I've decided I'm going to ignore the reviews from now on because it's not good for me to read them. I've made five times more on it in the last month than I have in the entire last year on my much-higher-rated other book.

LLL and Iverna like this.
  10. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Before I learned the correct pronunciation of a "y" syllable, I pronounced it "Yeh-salamiri."

11. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I pronounce ysalamiri with a silent Y. Don't ask me why. Maybe it is just easier that way.

12. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    We finally heard from my SIL. She's in the "mental health unit", as we suspected. They won't let her have her cell, so it took her several days to remember my brother's phone number. She's okay, they're just keeping her 'til they think she's ready to be released.

13. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    The average psych ward in a hospital is usually for short-term stay. Most patients stay for a couple of weeks before they're released. What will no doubt occur is her medication will be evaluated and she may be started on new meds, or meds may be added to her current batch. She will attend both group and single therapy, and she will be assigned a caseworker, who will work to arrange outpatient services prior to her release. This way, once she's released, she will be able to attend counseling right away.

The goal of most psych wards now is to get the patients back out into society. Only state and private hospitals have residential units. It's rare to institutionalize someone, but unfortunately, with the closure of many mental health wards, some people end up in prisons because there is really no other option. From what I gather, your SIL is in a general hospital's behavioral health unit, which is a short-term unit. Provided there are no complications, I hazard a stay around ten days.

LLL likes this.
  14. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    I know. I've been in one.

15. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Me two. Four-time frequent flyer.

16. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    I have good news! My arm is better. I can draw again. SO happy right now, I can't even tell you. Not being able to draw when I'm overflowing with ideas (and commissions) is no fun at all.

So, celebratory cake all around, on me! :D

... unfortunately we don't even have a cake smiley. In lieu of that, then, here's an awesome piece of music!

LLL, Commander-DWH and Ceillean like this.
  17. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    ah yes...two steps from hell. beyond awesome. :cool:

this is one of my favorites:

I loooooooooooooooove this.

Iverna likes this.
  18. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Yay! I'm glad your arm is better- having had my share of wrist troubles myself, I know how exciting it is to be able to actually do the things you love again. :D

Here's one of my favourite bits of epic music:

Ceillean and Iverna like this.
  19. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    I love epic music. It's so inspiring. Makes me want to create something awesome so I can use it for a soundtrack.

20. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    Why are you green? It hurts the eyes. :p

21. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    This is why I'm green! It's a solidarity thing with the visual effects artists who worked on Life of Pi, who wound up getting fired because the company went bankrupt. I just think it's important, and it's ridiculous that those talented people get such a crappy deal, you know?

Sorry about your eyes. :D

LLL and Ceillean like this.
  22. LLL

LLL Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2000
    I'm sorry, that name always reminds me of the 1970's group "The Captain and Tenielle".

23. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I support the cause, but at the same time, I'm heavily-rooted in the more classic and traditional school of special effects. I prefer stop-motion over CGI, motion and model photography over an environment created in a computer, and matte paintings and interesting camera tricks that no one uses anymore. I support special and visual effects artists... but I'm not changing my avatar to a chroma key backdrop. I'd rather support them through practice: by carrying on the effects in my own work. It may not award a lot of recognition, but the methods will never die.

24. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    For me, it's more about the fact that here is a group of people who are routinely exploited by another group of people who make millions and could easily afford to treat them fairly and pay them properly. I honestly don't care about what, specifically, they do. It's not like they'd be treated any better if they used stop-motion and matte paintings, or interpretive dance, or ketchup models. It's an unfair situation and, as an artist myself, I strongly believe that artists deserve recognition, support, and fair compensation for their work. If it were actors getting ripped off - I don't act, but I'd still support them if I could. I don't really see how using the same methods as them counts as supporting them; if I were a comic artist getting ripped off and losing my job from crappy conditions, then other people using the same style wouldn't raise awareness of those conditions or support me in any way, it'd just mean that other people are training up to take my place and lose it all over again because the conditions haven't changed.

Just my two cents. Rant over. But that's why I'm green right now.

LLL and Commander-DWH like this.
  25. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001

Hay-pees reminds me of herpes. So it's hayps for me. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.