main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I've listened to a lot of the EU books via audiobooks, so I know the 'proper' way of saying most of the common things. It's Hayps (all one syllable).

Also, I got my kitten! I actually got her about a week ago. She wasn't the one I originally was looking to adopt, but she was attacked by another cat in the shelter and they couldn't afford all the stitches and drainage tubs she needed to heal, so I said I would take her. She is such a sweetie. Her drainage tubes are out, but she still has the stiches in (and for awhile she had to wear a cone - but she isn't picking at the stiches so I took it off). She kinda looks like a frankenkitty, so I debated calling her Frankie, but I decided on Mirax, though my family doesn't like the name, so they call her Agatha.

2. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    Maybe with the name "Agatha", she'll be a wonderful muse for you. ;)

3. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Lol. Let's hope. My muse is currently MIA.

4. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    I just peeked over at FF.Net's 'Just in' - good god, what a complete pile of excrement...

Ceillean likes this.
  5. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    Yeah...but it's been like that for sooo long already. I don't even waste my time taking a look anymore.

6. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    A lot of fanfic sucks. Fact of life. A lot of writing sucks in general, it's just that when it's fanfic it's more likely to be out where everyone can read it. Although, with self-publishing, original fic seems to be catching up... :p

I'll be honest, bad fanfic doesn't bother me, really. Bad published original fic annoys me, because usually I've paid for it. If it's something someone does for a hobby, and it's free to read (or not read), I don't really mind. In my book, writing horrific fanfic or drawing crappy fanfic is still ten times better than just watching TV.

7. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    Buying a book and then realizing that it's bad is awful. A few years ago, when I was stuck in the hospital for two weeks (and I wasn't allowed to have visitors or go outside), all I could do was read. And I had bought a whole lot of books including a romance novel by Carly Phillips called Lucky Charm. Now...I cannot understand how this book could not only be as popular as it was but that the editors went ahead and gave it a green light. It is so awful. Definitely the WORST romance novel I have ever read. The story could have been cute but the author just made it stupid, the characters were sooo annoying and the writing...urgh.

Iverna likes this.
  8. LexiLupin

LexiLupin Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 27, 2011
    Poor kitty! But yay for saving her from the mean cats in the shelter! Hope she's healing up well.
    You'll have to post a picture of her when she's feeling photogenic. ;)

9. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    I don't trust cats. [face_worried] When you look into a dog's eyes, you more or less know what the dog wants. But not so with a cat. At least in my experience.

10. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    I've read some books like that too. I used to make myself suffer through to the end, but these days I'll stop reading if a book is boring or badly-written. I try to weed out the bad ones, but occasionally one will slip through. :p One of the worst I read kind of recently was "The Spirit Thief" by Rachel Aaron. I bought her book because she posted on the NaNoWriMo forums and she's lovely, but I stopped reading during the climax of the novel because I realised "wow, this is pretty stupid". That's got to be a bad sign. *lol* It did all kind of make sense, but it just felt really arbitrary. Like she was like "I just thought of this cool character, I want to write about him... what, I need a plot? ... oh, okay, random plot stuff, it sort of fits together, good enough, let's go".

And I agree! Kitten pictures should be shared. :D

11. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    I love cats. I have two; one of them is a brat, but Rogue is lovely. I've yet to meet anyone who doesn't like him. He's more like a dog than a cat though. He'll follow you around and beg for treats, you can even put him on a leash and take him for a walk. Mostly he just lies somewhere and wants to be fed and petted. He's so lazy and easygoing.

12. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I love cats also. I have Chewie, Nibbler and Fuzzball (aka Fuzzy). I know what my cats want when the look at me. It's either "Feed me" or "Leave me the hell alone".

13. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    I can never tell what a cat is thinking by looking at it. Usually they just look like they're not bothered. Rogue has lots of different miaows though, it's funny. He's very expressive.

My little cat only has two: plaintive, and angry. She hisses and growls all the time, but it doesn't mean anything. If Rogue growls, you have to back away. For Kaylee, that's her normal way of communicating. She's weird.

14. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    Here I wanted to go to bed and damned youtube is keeping me up. :p

Has anyone heard of the Harlem Shake? Oh my God...I've seen a lot but this...this is just stupid. [face_laugh]

Well...unless you're drunk. :p

15. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I saw something in the news about the Harlem Shake happening on an airplane. The FAA was not amused.

16. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    I hadn't heard of the Harlem shake before I heard about it on the news this week.Things like that come and go all the time.

Have the boards been having technical issues? I've been getting database error messages for the pass couple of days when I tried getting here. The posts in old messages are still truncated, so I don't know if that might be related.

17. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I heard that there have been issues because of high volume. I can't remember if I read it on the Communications forum or the TFN Facebook page, but the site supposedly would get just under 50K views per day and now it is up to almost 100K views per day. This almost happened overnight when it was announced that EP7 was going to be made.

Last night it was out for a few hours and the night before it was out all night.

18. smuggler_vola

smuggler_vola Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 13, 2012
    Last night I had written a new chapter for a fic. I go to post- wifi breaks.

Half an hour later, I re-type it. I go to post- database error on here.

I re-typed it again and actually got to post it. Which is good, because if something else happened my laptop would have been out the window.

19. LexiLupin

Mar 27, 2011
    You weren't talking to me, but I love showing off my babies:
    [​IMG]
    The tabby's look means 'why aren't you giving me food?'
    The tuxedo's means 'why aren't you snuggling me?'

Goodwood and Iverna like this.
  20. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    Sweet cats! I could spend all day sharing photos of my puppy from my cell phone, but that would probably bore all of you. She's the prettiest baby girl in the world to me, though!

Yes, the boards have been having some unexpected outages the past few nights, and our admins are currently trying to figure out why. For now I'm going with the story that the boards have just really, really wanted some nighttime pizza. Which, by the way, doesn't sound half bad right now. :p

21. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Chewie, Nibbler and Fuzzball. Chewie is about 16 years old. He's my old man. I found him half dead as a kitten abandoned on the side of the road.

[​IMG]

Iverna and LexiLupin like this.
  22. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I'm waiting on a kitty. My half-brother offered me his cat, but the landlord needs an updated vaccination record and $100 deposit before I can get the kitty. I can handle the deposit, but I'm waiting on the vet checkup. The cat is a white-and-tabby named Mabel, and she's sweet. I can't wait! I want her here so badly so I can snuggle.

23. LexiLupin

Mar 27, 2011
    Nope! We're doing this! Pics!
    Also, my tuxedo cat is named Luna, tehe.
    Jedi_Lover - Your babies are adorable. :D Is Fuzzball mauling Luke Skywalker?

24. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    My former band teacher got the entire high school to do the Harlem shake. It was apparently quite fun.

Ok, So I am really bad at taking pictures and my room has really bad lighting, plus taking pictures of a kitten is not an easy thing to do, regardless, here is a pic. She has never given me this look before, but she really hated the camera.
    [​IMG]
    I'll see if I can get a cuter pic on sunday once her stitches come out.

JL - your cats are so cute! Fuzzball really doesn't like Luke, does he?

25. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Since we're sharing pics... I have pics of my kitties when I lived at my grandma's. The kitties are still there and are all feral.

Han (tabby-and-white) with Greedo (gray) and Zuckuss (tabby).
    [​IMG]

Greedo when he was feral (he went back to being feral later).
    [​IMG]

Han being adorable as a kitten.
    [​IMG]

Me with baby Zuckuss sleeping in my lap.
    [​IMG]

Goodwood and Jedi_Lover like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.