main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Candles Against the Sea (JA Qui/Obi Drama) *COMPLETED* replies 8/15 Thanks to my readers!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by maychorian, Mar 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    Candles Against the Sea
    Chapter 4: Trepidation

The next morning, Qui-Gon was not entirely sure whether or not he ought to wake his apprentice. Shadows still lurked under Obi-Wan?s eyes, despite a solid ten hours of sleep. Then again, that wasn?t particularly shocking, considering what the boy had done.

But after Qui-Gon had been watching for only a moment, the Padawan stirred, as if the weight of his Master?s gaze was enough to pierce through the haze of sleep. He opened his eyes and stared blearily at Qui-Gon standing in the doorway.

?Good morning, Padawan,? Qui-Gon said.

?Mornings,? Obi-Wan said slowly and clearly, taking care to enunciate each syllable, ?were created by the Sith specifically to torture Jedi Padawans.?

Qui-Gon smiled. ?Would you like some breakfast??

Obi-Wan sat up immediately. ?Yes, please.?

The Master chuckled and departed to comm the hotel kitchen. The mention of food was always a sure-fire way to get the apprentice going in the morning

But when the simple repast of fruit, pastry, and tea arrived and the two Jedi sat at the small table in their lounge, Obi-Wan didn?t eat much. For several long minutes he held a half-eaten poli fruit in his hand, contemplating it with a deep, philosophical stare. Qui-Gon sipped his tea, studying the Padawan just as intently. The boy didn?t notice.

?Something bothering you, Obi-Wan??

Blue-green eyes flicked to the Master?s face, then away. ?Just . . . just wondering whether Nibbi is having anything half as nice for breakfast.?

?Ah.? Qui-Gon lowered his eyes, for some reason feeling slightly chagrined.

Obi-Wan took a half-hearted bite of his poli and picked at the pastry on his plate. ?Master, are we doing anything important today??

They had already been over the itinerary for their entire stay, but Qui-Gon decided not to mention the boy?s lapse in concentration. He could allow his Padawan an hour to wake up?that was usually how long it took. ?This morning we?ll be meeting with city officials, and we?ll have lunch with the ruler of Sylelius . . .?

Obi-Wan knew he was being prompted, to prove that he?d paid attention and remembered. He blinked, waking up a bit more. ?President Rothis Hindegar.?

?Right. We?ll wear formal robes for those functions. The afternoon is free, and we?ll start our observation. I thought we?d find some common clothes and blend in.?

?Perhaps we should split up to cover more ground. There will be a lot to see.?

?Perhaps we should.? Qui-Gon suppressed a frown. For some reason he didn?t like that idea. But it wasn?t the Force speaking to him. It was . . . something else.

Obi-Wan sighed and rubbed a hand over his face, stopping when he touched the left eye, which was still red and puffy. ?Master, I . . . I?d really like to . . . I know we?re only going to be here for a couple of weeks, but while we?re here I want to spend some time . . .it might not seem entirely befitting to a Jedi, but . . .?

Qui-Gon finally took pity on him. ?You want to spend time with the little boy you befriended.?

Obi-Wan nodded hesitantly. ?I want to try to earn his trust, enough so that he?ll let me take him somewhere he can be taken care of. All of the foster homes can?t be like that one. But I think I?ll need to visit him every day, and I didn?t know if we would have time.?

?Padawan, we will make time. This is important. And it is completely befitting to a Jedi.?

?Truly??

?Very much so, yes! I?m glad you?ve found such a worthy project to occupy your time here. I?d hate for you to become bored.?

?Oh, I?m never bored,? Obi-Wan said seriously. He finished the poli fruit in a few bites, then started in on the pastry. Qui-Gon could tell by the glaze in his eyes that he hardly tasted it, busy planning how to reach the hurting child.

The Padawan?s eyes flicked again to the Master?s face, bright with eagerness, yet sober with responsibility. ?I want to visit the charities, the government?s systems, and interview those who would take charge of Nibbi. That will be good observation, won?t it? You

2. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Hm. What's up? :confused:

I love the turns this story takes. And your characterizations continue to be amazing, maychorian. Very nice. :)

3. jodiwent

jodiwent Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2000
    Don't ignore that feeling Obi!

4. Bekah_K

Bekah_K Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 3, 2002
    Very nice! :D

There seems to be some miscommunication and misunderstanding between Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon as to what they want out of this partnership emotional wise. Qui-Gon wants a padawan he can trust, which he seems to have come around to, and Obi-Wan wants a father figure and all that entails. The box he locked away in his mind is only going to cause him more problems. If he doesn't allow himself to feel those things, how long will it be until he stops feeling?

I liked the way Obi-Wan puts others needs before his own. Taking care of Nibbi was an awesome thing for him to do. But somehow I Amora is going to be a bit more of a challenge. I wonder why Qui-Gon isn't picking up on any of this, or maybe he is and just hasn't said anything.

Great job with this! :) Can't wait for more.

5. maychorian

Jan 7, 2005
    Congrats to the winners of the first Writers Race!

3rd place: Indra
    2nd place: DarthIshtar and Drabbo_Fett
    1st place: duskwings

It was a LOT of fun. When the next one starts, you should join!

6. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Falling behind again
    Never wnated to
    What am I to do
    Can't help it

Sorry, the simple line about bebeing behind in my reading just came out that way. :D [face_blush]

Obi-Wan's gone to to bad part of town? Not good. If Obi-Wan got himself injured, or deathly ill, or kidnapped by some sadistic megalomaniac and worked over a bit so that Qui-Gon had to come rescue him, it might be a good thing. It might make the Master appreciate the Padawan more, love him more.. oh dear , he shouldn't be thinking like that... I have a bad feeling. Awwww, poor boy being beaten up, good thing Obi-Wan was there. Obi-Wan was very comforting to the boy.. only seven.. how sad.

Seems strange that Qui-Gon was so harsh when Obi-Wan finally returned. Ahhh, I'm glad to see the master become more his self.

I?m pretty sure he thinks I?m the best thing since the invention of cheese, or something... that line relly tickled me! [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

I lke how at first Obi-Wan complained about being woken... till the mention of food was made. :D :D Hmmm DOn't know if Obi foighting the gang leader is all that good an idea... after Obi's gone who knows what may happen? Oh boy, another being that Obi-Wan is very concerned for.

Lovely posts to catch up on here! :D

7. maychorian

Jan 7, 2005
    LuvEwan I love the turns this story takes.

Thanks! :D Sometimes I'm not sure what's going to happen . . .

jodiwent Don't ignore that feeling Obi!

Oh, he won't! But sometimes it takes more than good intentions . . . I think Amora is going to be very difficult to deal with. Haven't quite figured her out yet.

Bekah-K

Wow, thanks for the long, insightful review!

The box he locked away in his mind is only going to cause him more problems.

Too right it is. Just you wait . . .

I liked the way Obi-Wan puts others needs before his own.

Good! That's my Obi.

Healer_Leona

Thanks for the detailed review!

Seems strange that Qui-Gon was so harsh when Obi-Wan finally returned.

There is an explanation for that. I had hoped that it would be apparent to the readers--it will get more obvious in future chapters. But anyway, the reason Qui was so uncharacteristically harsh was because he was overcompensating, trying to push away feelings he didn't want to deal with. He's used to depending on the Force, obeying only its promptings, and lately another part of his psyche has been trying to make itself heard as well . . . He doesn't like it. It's confusing. And it's all about Obi-Wan. :D

Obi's not the only one locking away a part of himself in this story.

And now, a glimpse through the eyes of others . . .

8. maychorian

Jan 7, 2005
    Candles Against the Sea
    Chapter 5: Exploration

The bell above the front door tinkled, and Nilla looked up, eager to greet the newest visitor to the Onorda Street clinic. ?Welcome!? she said warmly. ?Come in, come in! Can I help you??

The boy paused shyly just inside the door, his hand still on the push-bar that crossed it. He was a slender youngster, perhaps twelve or thirteen, his sandy hair in a short, spiky cut. His garments were ordinary, new-looking, a scuff on one knee. He looked like any one of hundreds of pre-adolescent children in Reshifc.

Nilla?s eye was drawn immediately to the large bruise that covered half his face. It was mostly healed, but Nilla?s lips still tightened in anger. Somebody had punched this child.

She purposely did not focus on it, not wanting to frighten the hesitant boy away. ?Well, what brings you here? I?d be happy to answer any questions you have.?

The boy stepped slowly to the desk. ?I . . . uh . . . I?d just like some information.?

Nilla started pulling brochures from her desk drawers. ?We offer a number of free services: shelter, counseling, med care . . .? She glanced at the pamphlet in her hand, which offered free pregnancy testing, and put it back in the drawer. ?You can register anonymously, if you like. No one needs to know. This clinic is meant to be a safe place for those who have nowhere else to turn.?

The boy nodded soberly, his eyes on the sheaf of flimsyplast Nilla held out to him. As his slender fingers closed about the brochures he glanced up and offered a brief, brilliant smile, allowing her a glimpse of sparkling blue eyes. ?Thank you. I?ll just study this information for now.?

She watched him wander over to the small lounge area and settle himself into a chair, spreading the brochures on the low table in front of him. That accent . . . it was Deep Core. This boy?or his parents, perhaps?did not come from Sylelius.

Nilla had been a receptionist at the Onorda Street clinic for two years, starting here on recommendation of her sister Mili after she was downsized from the comm part plant down on 122nd Street. It was a good job. She enjoyed welcoming frightened, hurting people into a place where they could be safe and begin to find healing for their wounds.

She felt that her heart had become cold and shrunken in the impersonal surroundings of the part plant. Now it was warm and open again, and seemed to get bigger with each person she encountered. It made her more vulnerable to pain, as her compassion was constantly touched and pricked by the poor folks she met. But it also opened her up to enjoy more of life. The trade was worth it. Absolutely worth it.

Over time Nilla had developed a sweet, welcoming manner that served her very well in this job. It was a gentle kindness, one that offered help without insistence, without pressure. She knew when to speak and when to be silent. Sometimes the right word could draw a hurting soul in?sometimes the wrong movement could send a frightened child away. Nilla had learned all of these words and movements, some by instinct and some by experience, and she could draw almost anyone.

This boy, now . . . There was something about him. Something shuttered and silent, and infinitely sad. It went beyond the healing black eye, but Nilla supposed that the two were connected. This youngster had hidden away a part of himself, finding it a liability in the game of survival.

It happened every day, she knew. Exuberant children learned that attention meant pain, and destroyed their enthusiasm to become quiet and reserved, knowing the seldom noticed meant seldom beaten. Battered women learned that their men would not tolerate any other relationships, and so they hid away their connection to parents, siblings, friends, and even children, fighting desperately to please what would never be pleased. Oh, it was tragic. And it happened every day.

This boy, now . . . this charming young man with the bright smile and the brilliant, subdued eyes . . . What had he lost? Something very important, Nilla knew. Somethi

9. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    Quig? Hm. ;)

Oh, another lovely post, with such great language and a smooth narrative. I'm loving it more and more.

10. Bekah_K

Bekah_K Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 3, 2002
    Wow, so Qui-Gon's observing the fight that Obi-Wan told him he needed to be in. Interesting. I liked the description that Nibbi gave concerning how Qui-Gon looked as if he would like to be in that fight but was holding himself back. I guess he cares a little more than he'd like to admit. Now if he would only allow Obi-Wan to know that.

Now that Qui-Gon has met Nibbi, I wonder if he sees what Obi-Wan saw in the boy.

Nice job with this...keep 'em comin! :)

11. Jemmiah

Jemmiah Jedi Master star 5

Mar 5, 2000
    *runs in breathlessly to catch up*

Phew! I'm so far behind! But what a wonderful few posts to catch up on! :) Poor Quig! Loved his meeting with Nibbi, and the way the boy realises that the tall man reminds him of Obi. And I particularly enjoyed Nilla's observations of Obi-Wan, and how she could read his almost otherworldly experience and sadness in his eyes.

Ah-ha! Nibbi's spotted Obi! :) Great chapter Maychorian!

12. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    now the lady att he clini will think Obi got beat up for looking for help. oops

13. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    Great job so far, Laura. I, of course, am waiting until we get to where Nibbi....er. :D Won't tell anymore!

14. maychorian

Jan 7, 2005
    LuvEwan Quig? Hm.

I did not pick that. Honest. It just came out. :)

Bekah_K Now that Qui-Gon has met Nibbi, I wonder if he sees what Obi-Wan saw in the boy.

Your reviews make me think about aspects of the story I hadn't considered fully. Thanks, and keep it up! I love the stimulation.

Jemmiah Loved his meeting with Nibbi, and the way the boy realises that the tall man reminds him of Obi.

:D

Nibbi and Nilla both have sharp perceptions, even though they aren't Jedi. (Ordinary people can be that way too. Including writers!)

PadawanKitara now the lady att he clini will think Obi got beat up for looking for help. oops

[face_laugh] Chapter 7 will allude to that a bit.

Princess_Arulmozhi
    I, of course, am waiting until we get to where Nibbi....er.

::has no idea what Princess is referring to:: [face_whistling]

Thanks for reading! I'm almost caught up with what I have written already. Keep giving me ideas! I need them.

15. maychorian

Jan 7, 2005
    Candles Against the Sea
    Chapter 6: Vindication

Focus on the moment, focus on the moment . . .

It was incredible, really, how distracted and unfocused Obi-Wan could be. Here he was, in the middle of a fist-fight, for crying out loud, and his mind kept wanting to wander. He had been aware of his Master?s presence from the moment Qui-Gon stepped to the edge of the crowd, but he had deliberately cut off most of his Force sense, and so had no clue what the man was thinking. Was he pleased, proud, disappointed, irritated, disgusted, bored? The Padawan could imagine any of those reactions, but the first two seemed the least likely.

Focus on the moment!

Obi-Wan blocked another punch, side-stepped another sweeping kick to the ankles. This fellow, Tronak, had the vast advantage in strength, height and downright bulk, but he had virtually no training. If the Padawan hadn?t been so exhausted that he couldn?t see straight yesterday, the Sylelian youth never would have gotten in that shot to the eye. An eighth-year initiate could probably take him, even without the Force.

So why is this taking so long? Focus, Kenobi!

Obi-Wan narrowed his eyes. He caught Tronak?s fist in his own as it sailed past his face, but the older youth broke the grip with a slight grunt, exerting almost no effort to do so. Obi-Wan had been fighting defensively, taking a few hits to the mid-section, though no bad ones, ducking or blocking most blows. It was the way a Jedi fought, but it was earning him no respect from these bullies, and respect was what he needed to earn.

?Go for it, Tronak!? a gang member screamed in the cacophony of egging-on that had been continuing since the fight began.

?Rip his eyeballs out! Show ?im he don?t belong here!?

?Show ?im he can?t mess with the Gray Knights!?

?Nights?? Obi-Wan asked between pants for air as he ducked another swing and circled, ending up on Tronak?s right side. ?You named yourself after a time of day??

Tronak growled as he turned to face the slippery kid who kept evading his fists. ?Knights, you idiot, not Nights! As in ?the gray knights approach on black horses as the pale moon rides above???

Obi-Wan blinked, surprised by the quotation of Alderaanian poetry. ?Oh, knights!? he repeated, blocking a strong downward blow with crossed wrists. ?As in, the guardians of peace and justice in the galaxy? Is that why you feel it is within your rights to hurt and belittle a helpless child??

?What, that little vrelt?? Tronak aimed a blow that should have split Obi-Wan?s lips and loosened half his teeth, grunting with frustration as it only grazed by that smooth, gold-tinted cheek. ?He deserves everything he gets! I don?t understand why you wanted to fight over him, of all things. You ain?t no Jedi! Jedi take care of big, important things, like presidents and wars and solar systems under siege. You?re just another do-gooder from uptown, thinking you can stick your perfect nose in here and tell us what to do!?

Obi-Wan was distantly amazed that the gang leader could find breath enough for that tirade. Tronak was panting steadily now, sweat dripping down his none-too-clean chin to splash on faded garments and a worn leather vest. This fight had gone on much longer than the usual fisticuffs Tronak was used to deciding with only a few heavy, well-aimed punches.

The Padawan nodded gently. ?Yes, Jedi guard presidents and solar systems. But we also care about children on the streets, and young men who have no direction. It is a shame that the ?larger? things so often prevent us from taking care of the rest. All are equally important.?

Tronak paused for a bare moment, delicately balanced with one foot forward and a fist cocked to swing, and gave his opponent a confused look. ?You make no sense at all.?

Obi-Wan reflected sadly that that was probably true as the Sylelian launched his offensive again. He blocked three blows in quick succession, then sighed in exasperation. Enough. It was time to end this.

The Padaw

16. Jemmiah

Jemmiah Jedi Master star 5

Mar 5, 2000
    I think we have a little hero worship going on with Nibbi! ;) I found the part where he confessed that nobody had ever fought or stood up for him before really touching. Obi fought well, not giving in to agression or hate and controlled his emotions like a true Jedi. Of course, now Obi-Wan's going to be worried that Qui-Gon was not impressed with his behaviour. I get the impression that Qui's opinions of Obi have been improving all the time whilst Obi's getting less and less certain of where he stands in Qui's regard! :)

Looking forward to the next part. :D

17. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    That was adorable with the kid. And I loved the fight. You did that very well, interspersing the action with the thoughts. Great job.

18. jodiwent

jodiwent Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2000
    Loved both posts. I like the way Qui went to watch the fight and helped Nibbi too.

I hope the gang does as Obi said know what's good for them.

19. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    The Padawan nodded gently. ?Yes, Jedi guard presidents and solar systems. But we also care about children on the streets, and young men who have no direction. It is a shame that the ?larger? things so often prevent us from taking care of the rest. All are equally important.?

Oh, I absolutely loved that paragraph. [face_love]

The fight was well-described, and I loved little Nibbi's reaction. Can't wait to see what Qui-Gon thinks of it. ;)

20. Padawan_Katalin

Padawan_Katalin Jedi Youngling

Feb 25, 2005
    Wow! I can't wait for more!

21. JEDI-KNIGHTS_R_L

JEDI-KNIGHTS_R_L Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 21, 2004
    Oh, what an interesting story. I cant wait for the next post. keep up the good work.

22. JediVeloJinn

JediVeloJinn Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2003
    yippee

another great fic to read. I know that I'll love it, just from reading the first few lines. The thing that caught me is the way you write how Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon converse. And, of course, that it's Obi/Qui. That just gets me everytime. I'll give you a better reply when I've read it, and finished all the other replies that are long overdue.

Velo

23. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    can't wait to see what everyone thinks of a battered and bruised padawan.

24. maychorian

Jan 7, 2005
    Jemmiah I found the part where he confessed that nobody had ever fought or stood up for him before really touching.

I'm glad I'm not the only one! That line makes me hurt. (Yes, I'm touched by my own writing. :rolleyes:) I think there are many kids in the world today who have that problem. I wish I was a a Jedi. :)

diane You did that very well, interspersing the action with the thoughts.

Thanks! It takes me a long time to write action, and I sometimes find my eyes skipping over it when I'm reading. I'm more interested in character bits. Thus, that particular fight, and Tronak deciding to recite poetry. Threw me for a loop, that one did.

jodiwent I hope the gang does as Obi said know what's good for them.

Hmm. I'm still deciding that one. The Gray Knights may appear again in this story, but I'm not sure.

LuvEwan Oh, I absolutely loved that paragraph.

Thank you! Would it sound horribly arrogant to say that I like it too? That's what I truly feel Jedi are, or want to be. I think recently there have been a lot of troubles in the galaxy, even in this time of relative peace, forcing them to work more as warriors. But at heart, they are a religious order, and wish to serve in other capacities as well. I might explore this idea later . . . so many ideas . . . .

Padawan_Katalin

Thank you!

JEDI-KNIGHTS_R_L keep up the good work.

I'll try! Er, do my best. :D

JediVeloJinn The thing that caught me is the way you write how Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon converse.

Thank you! I try to keep my dialogue realistic. There can be many shades of meaning behind a single phrase.

Thanks also for your amazing email! I will reply soon. Short answer for one question: "luma" is an old fanfic word for "lamp." Picked that one up in my early teens, thought it applied.

PadawanKitara can't wait to see what everyone thinks of a battered and bruised padawan.

Hmm. I neglected to mention Ambassador Grenik's reaction. An idea for my next chapter! Thanks!

Thanks, everyone! I'm on spring break right now, so I don't have my usual unlimited access to college broadband. I will keep up on my posting and reading, though. I've also been warned not to type, because some wrist problems, but that directive is very hard to follow . . .

25. maychorian

Jan 7, 2005
    Candles Against the Sea
    Chapter 7: Hesitation

Qui-Gon returned to the café to find Obi-Wan and Nibbi sitting on the edge of the duracrete stoop, playing Rock, Flimsy, Cutters with sparkling eyes, loud, childlike giggles, and hands flying in animated gestures, fisted or flat or forked in the third symbol. He paused a few paces away, just watching them, how wonderful they were, how beautifully they shone in the Force. Nibbi?s presence shone green and youthful in the Living Force, like any young, growing thing, but Obi-Wan signature, as always, was all but blinding in its brilliance, an untainted white that never seemed to dim in the Master?s eye of the mind. But it was the outer vision that struck Qui-Gon most powerfully.

Neither boy was a truly a child anymore?Nibbi was aged by pain and loss far beyond his years, Obi-Wan by the path he had followed with grave intensity from infancy?but in this moment both were young and pure, glowing with innocent joy as they took delight in a simple childhood game. Both were dirty and scratched, faces and hands a bit battered, clothes rumpled and showing signs of hard wear. Though Nibbi definitely looked worse off, they truly could have been mistaken for brothers, even with the sharp contrast of their coloring: deep brown hair and eyes, fair reddish spikes and sea-colored lumas.

Qui-Gon was surprised by the image of his Padawan as a grubby child of the streets, and it bothered him deep in a hidden part of his psyche?he did not like how the boy seemed neglected and forsaken, despite the cheerful energy in his stance and expression. The man shook it off and took a step forward, clearing his throat. The boys looked up with wide eyes, immediately torn away from their fun, wariness surfacing on open, vulnerable faces. Qui-Gon regretted startling them so badly, and a doubt wormed into his mind. Nibbi?s reaction was understandable, but why had Obi-Wan stiffened so abruptly? Surely he was not afraid?

Obi-Wan relaxed at once, flashing a friendly, welcoming smile. Nibbi gradually followed suit and gave the man a hesitant wave. ?Hi, Quig.?

?Hello, Nibbi.? Qui-Gon smiled warmly. ?It?s time to head back, Obi.?

?Yes, M-my uncle.? Obi-Wan grinned sheepishly, then turned back to his little friend, eyes and voice softening instantly. ?Did you think about what I said? Nilla is a really nice lady, and she would love to meet you.?

Nibbi?s lips pursed defiantly. ??M fine. Like my box.?

?I bet you?d like a warm bed even better,? Obi-Wan coaxed.

The child shook his head firmly. ?Warm enough.? He crossed his arms across his small chest, glaring at the older boy with a vehemence that did not quite mask his insecurity. He wanted Obi-Wan?s approval, longed for it with the anxiety of a little one left alone and lonely for far too long, but on this issue he would not budge. He was afraid.

Obi-Wan sighed and ruffled the dark, tangled hair. ?All right. I understand. Keep thinking about it, though.? A sudden flash of mischief glinted in blue-green eyes, and Obi-Wan reverted to a very childish trick. He pinched Nibbi?s nose between his index and middle fingers and pulled back his fist with the thumb poking out slightly between them. ?I?ve got your nose!?

?Give it back!? Nibbi?s mouth dropped open in utter dismay and genuine shock.

Qui-Gon did not resist the laugh that rumbled powerfully from the bottom of his lungs to burst out of his mouth. ?By the stars, Obi, he truly does believe you can do anything.?

The corner of Obi-Wan?s mouth twitched in chagrin, and he quickly touched the tip of his thumb to the little boy?s nose, then displayed his hand open, fingers spread, proving that he held nothing. ?Sorry, Nibbi,? he said contritely. ?I didn?t mean to scare you.?

Nibbi reached up and felt his nose with both hands, patting it tenderly in obvious relief. He grinned at the Padawan, eyes shining. ??Sall right. Just startled me, you did.?

Qui-Gon would have shaken his head at the hero-worship that gleamed so brightly in those dark young eyes, but the purity of it prevent

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.